Read 2485 times

• KimDuHan
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 15, 2015, 11:48:59 am
    • Seoul
Disillusioned people of Korean Ancestry
« on: July 13, 2021, 05:15:20 am »
Anyone have any good stories of disillusioned people of Korean ancestry who defend Korea more than their own native country?

In Canada when I talk about how Korea has red light districts and actively has racist laws it seems like Korean Canadians try to defend Korea and say that itís all not true and Korea has no racist laws or red light districts. When you confront them with pictures or articles they still deny it and change the topic to how bad Canadians are even though they were born in Canada.

Anyone have any juicy stories??

Re: Disillusioned people of Korean Ancestry
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2021, 06:30:34 am »
Always found this to be the case:

1st gen Koreans living abroad: yes Korea has problems.

Koreans in Korea: yes Korea has problems. Sometimes we don't like to talk about them.

Gyopos living in their home countries (US etc): oh man Korean food is awesome huh? Do you know kpop? Korean dramas are so amazing!

Gyopos living in Korea: WHY YES KOREA IS THE GREATEST COUNTRY ON EARTH. WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU THINK THE HAGWON OWNER IS STEALING HALF YOUR PAY. YOU SHOULD BE THANKFUL JUST FOR LIVING IN KOREA.

• pkjh
  • The Legend

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
    • Asia
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2021, 07:32:19 am »
Gyopos living in their home countries (US etc): oh man Korean food is awesome huh? Do you know kpop? Korean dramas are so amazing!

Gyopos living in Korea: WHY YES KOREA IS THE GREATEST COUNTRY ON EARTH. WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU THINK THE HAGWON OWNER IS STEALING HALF YOUR PAY. YOU SHOULD BE THANKFUL JUST FOR LIVING IN KOREA.
There is also a generational thing too. Many gyopos born pre-90s still think Korea is still some backwater 3rd world country. And would tremble at the thought of visiting Korea. Well, I guess they'd be half right.

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2021, 07:42:30 am »
Anyone have any good stories of disillusioned people of Korean ancestry who defend Korea more than their own native country?

In Canada when I talk about how Korea has red light districts and actively has racist laws it seems like Korean Canadians try to defend Korea and say that itís all not true and Korea has no racist laws or red light districts. When you confront them with pictures or articles they still deny it and change the topic to how bad Canadians are even though they were born in Canada.

I know they're out there, but thankfully this site doesn't have anyone that fits that bill. 

When I decided to come to Korea the first time some Korean Canadians that were born and raised in Toronto would ask me why I would ever go there?  They didn't speak Korean and their had parents left a backwater banana republic.  I think as younger generations start to become curious they visit and find a very different Korea from the one their parents or grandparents knew. 

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2021, 09:06:05 am »
I think there's quite a bit of truth to this, and it's probably true for every immigrant.

I know that I certainly have a very rosy - and not entirely realistic - picture of my first country, and having people dis it (even when -- *especially when* -- I know it's true) gets my hackles up really quick.
A lot of immigrants - first and second generations both - have identity issues when it comes to nationality, and often are more nationalistic than natives of either country. This gets especially weird when participating in arguments comparing their 2 cultures: the constant flip-flopping and the mental effort to sustain the appropriate level of cognitive dissonance to argue for and against both sides can be exhausting.

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2021, 10:46:18 am »

Maybe it's because they sense that rather than trying to help or sympathize, you're trying to put them and their ancestors down to stroke your own ego?

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2021, 10:49:11 am »
Always found this to be the case:

1st gen Koreans living abroad: yes Korea has problems.

Koreans in Korea: yes Korea has problems. Sometimes we don't like to talk about them.

If a Korean constantly bashes Canada or the U.S. do you just agree with them or maybe you say "Dude, enough."

There's talking about problems and then there's trying to shit on another country and their people.

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2021, 01:33:16 pm »
Maybe it's because they sense that rather than trying to help or sympathize, you're trying to put them and their ancestors down to stroke your own ego?

why do you assume thats the intent? every time this discussion comes up you construct this strawman of the racist foreigner who just wants to shit on korea, which is completely outside the topic of conversation. obviously if someones going on a racist tirade of some sort a harsh rebuke is justified, but talking about stuff like red light districts/institutionalized racism/etc (things which are problems in plenty of other countries anyways) aint that.

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2021, 01:53:05 pm »
why do you assume thats the intent? every time this discussion comes up you construct this strawman of the racist foreigner who just wants to shit on korea, which is completely outside the topic of conversation. obviously if someones going on a racist tirade of some sort a harsh rebuke is justified, but talking about stuff like red light districts/institutionalized racism/etc (things which are problems in plenty of other countries anyways) aint that.

On the whole, I completely agree with this, but did you chance to notice the OP?

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2021, 02:45:12 pm »
If a Korean constantly bashes Canada or the U.S. do you just agree with them or maybe you say "Dude, enough."

There's talking about problems and then there's trying to shit on another country and their people.

In 5 years of living in South Korea I never met a Korean who said anything bad about the US. When they heard I was an American they were always gracious and curious about it. Often they had relatives living there.

I know Koreans talk a lot of crap about the US because they fear and distrust it as much as they naturally respect it, but they always behaved themselves with me.

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2021, 02:51:47 pm »
Oh for sure, and again I would point out that I don't respond to every criticism of Korea or disagree. But there are plenty of bad criticisms, some of which are simply poorly thought out and others which range from just everyday frustration to outright bigotry.

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2021, 02:56:54 pm »
I think there's quite a bit of truth to this, and it's probably true for every immigrant.

I know that I certainly have a very rosy - and not entirely realistic - picture of my first country, and having people dis it (even when -- *especially when* -- I know it's true) gets my hackles up really quick.
A lot of immigrants - first and second generations both - have identity issues when it comes to nationality, and often are more nationalistic than natives of either country. This gets especially weird when participating in arguments comparing their 2 cultures: the constant flip-flopping and the mental effort to sustain the appropriate level of cognitive dissonance to argue for and against both sides can be exhausting.
On the flip side, often they come with two different perspectives and are able to see the good things in both and are able to see some of the blind spots and faults. Often it is the groups on either side which try to push them into one or the other.

People say I'm Captain Korea over here, not to be confused with THE Captain Corea, but when people go after America, I'll be right there taking exception. Same for most places (well except for the Canucks who we all have our fun with, and the Euros, just because they can get pretty arrogant, but even then I'll still stand up for their right to have their country as they want it and that we shouldn't judge them...well too much. And of course, plenty of reasonable posters here have the same relationship with Korea- they love it, but they also love to have a go at it sometimes)

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2021, 03:03:00 pm »
Same for most places (well except for the Canucks who we all have our fun with, and the Euros, just because they can get pretty arrogant, but even then I'll still stand up for their right to have their country as they want it and that we shouldn't judge them...well too much).
2 strikes in a single swing, mister.   >:(

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2021, 03:07:35 pm »
2 strikes in a single swing, mister.   >:(
Hey, I'M the one striking back! They started it!!!!!!!!!!

• Adel
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 30, 2015, 12:50:26 am
    • The Abyss
    more
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2021, 03:12:51 pm »
Hey, I'M the one striking back! They started it!!!!!!!!!!
Dude wrong forum. Oops, hang on, does Korean Sentry still exist?

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2021, 04:30:22 pm »
There's also people here who think any and all criticism of Korea is valid and that there's no justification for anyone disagreeing with them.

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2021, 07:48:26 am »
On the whole, I completely agree with this, but did you chance to notice the OP?

i did read the op, not sure what your point is, though. seemed pretty benign to me

There's also people here who think any and all criticism of Korea is valid and that there's no justification for anyone disagreeing with them.

a lot of the "criticism" would be better classified as complaints. a complaint is valid to the extent that its just someone saying "this annoys me", it does admittedly become unreasonable when they expect the culture to actually change over it

« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 07:52:52 am by 745sticky »

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2021, 09:31:25 am »
a lot of the "criticism" would be better classified as complaints. a complaint is valid to the extent that its just someone saying "this annoys me", it does admittedly become unreasonable when they expect the culture to actually change over it

It's unreasonable to expect a culture to remain the same.

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2021, 09:42:18 am »
for sure, i mean they could really lean in to the spitting thing. that would be a change
more gg more skill

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2021, 09:49:41 am »
To be fair there are a large vocal group of waegookins who love to say how great Korea is compared to their sh!thole countries, i.e. USA and England.

If I had 100won for everytime some FOB waegookin says "Korea is so safe!", I'd be a millionaire (in won).