Read 4085 times

So provide evidence that it is indeed possible to go from 8k annual expenses to 2k with couponing. Or even if just one person in modern history has done that. Back up your claim or else it's just a figure you pulled out of your arse.
First off, if this board wasn't 95% male, this wouldn't even be a debate. If you went on a 95% female board, they'd laugh at you for not even knowing this about coupons. Seems to be a common theme here- first in the car usefulness debate and then with this. In between all that inane female chatter, there's actually really useful stuff being discussed, so keep your ears open.

https://www.moneycrashers.com/coupons-from-casual-to-extreme/
https://thriftynomads.com/couponing-for-beginners-guide/
https://www.couponing101.com/a-beginners-guide-to-couponing/

The thing is you have to be willing to
1. Not be loyal to brands. You use whatever toothpaste you get the best deal for. If Corn Flakes are on sale, that's what your cereal is going to be
2. Willing to buy in bulk. You take advantage of deals to buy a year (or two's) worth of staple goods
3. It does take about 30 minutes a day to go through the ads. Maybe an hour on Sunday.
4. Commit to doing it.
5. Learn and understand the system.

Hit the newspapers, clip and file the coupons for stuff you need, check manufacturer's websites, check the supermarket website, and have the space to store a year's worth of paper towels, toothpaste, and spaghetti sauce.

Speaking from experience, me and my roommates did this in college. Not to this extreme of a level, but to the point where we were seeing significant savings and all the people who hung out at our house were like "Damn, you guys eat so well, how do you afford this stuff?" With 4 other dudes to shift through the papers and the early days of web coupons, it was pretty easy to get done and save. No ramen and Kraft dinner 4X a week for us. Real fing food.

When I lived on my own before coming here I did it too, again not to this extent but enough so that it made a big enough dent that it let me go out for an extra night of fun per week.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 12:37:02 pm by Mr.DeMartino »

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
I am made Mayor of Seoul for 30 days with wide discretionary powers and I immediately ban coupons.
more gg more skill

• Lazio
  • Expert Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
First off, if this board wasn't 95% male, this wouldn't even be a debate. If you went on a 95% female board, they'd laugh at you for not even knowing this about coupons. Seems to be a common theme here- first in the car usefulness debate and then with this. In between all that inane female chatter, there's actually really useful stuff being discussed, so keep your ears open.

https://www.moneycrashers.com/coupons-from-casual-to-extreme/
https://thriftynomads.com/couponing-for-beginners-guide/
https://www.couponing101.com/a-beginners-guide-to-couponing/

The thing is you have to be willing to
1. Not be loyal to brands. You use whatever toothpaste you get the best deal for. If Corn Flakes are on sale, that's what your cereal is going to be
2. Willing to buy in bulk. You take advantage of deals to buy a year (or two's) worth of staple goods
3. It does take about 30 minutes a day to go through the ads. Maybe an hour on Sunday.
4. Commit to doing it.
5. Learn and understand the system.

Hit the newspapers, clip and file the coupons for stuff you need, check manufacturer's websites, check the supermarket website, and have the space to store a year's worth of paper towels, toothpaste, and spaghetti sauce.

Speaking from experience, me and my roommates did this in college. Not to this extreme of a level, but to the point where we were seeing significant savings and all the people who hung out at our house were like "Damn, you guys eat so well, how do you afford this stuff?" With 4 other dudes to shift through the papers and the early days of web coupons, it was pretty easy to get done and save. No ramen and Kraft dinner 4X a week for us. Real fing food.

When I lived on my own before coming here I did it too, again not to this extent but enough so that it made a big enough dent that it let me go out for an extra night of fun per week.

Good lord!
You didn't need to write an essay.
''I just made that figure up'' would've been enough.

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
So provide evidence that it is indeed possible to go from 8k annual expenses to 2k with couponing. Or even if just one person in modern history has done that. Back up your claim or else it's just a figure you pulled out of your arse.

This would mean the average coupon value used would have to be 75%.  Even buying in bulk, double coupon days, and a lot of smart shopping, not gonna happen.  At least not often enough for the average family of four to live on 2K per year.

Good lord!
You didn't need to write an essay.
''I just made that figure up'' would've been enough.
But as you can see...it's not made up

This would mean the average coupon value used would have to be 75%.  Even buying in bulk, double coupon days, and a lot of smart shopping, not gonna happen.  At least not often enough for the average family of four to live on 2K per year.
And yet people do it. Again, just because you aren't familiar with it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. You have to be dedicated to it, but it can be done. Again, the big thing is that you have to be really flexible in what you buy and consume and also be willing to plan ahead. This is especially beneficial for larger families which can run through things like paper towels, toilet paper, toothpaste, and soap to a staggering degree.

As I've said before, if this was not such a male-dominated forum, there wouldn't be any debate over this. Couponing and its benefits are pretty common knowledge amongst the XX portion of the planet.

Seriously, some of you people are really effing clueless about some things.

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• Seoul
And yet people do it. Again, just because you aren't familiar with it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. You have to be dedicated to it, but it can be done. Again, the big thing is that you have to be really flexible in what you buy and consume and also be willing to plan ahead. This is especially beneficial for larger families which can run through things like paper towels, toilet paper, toothpaste, and soap to a staggering degree.

As I've said before, if this was not such a male-dominated forum, there wouldn't be any debate over this. Couponing and its benefits are pretty common knowledge amongst the XX portion of the planet.

Seriously, some of you people are really effing clueless about some things.

Yeah, but maybe not. 

I'm not saying you can't save money by using coupons, but an average coupon value of 75% just ain't gonna happen (remember this must be the case for every single food and personal supply purchase you make, every time, including at the GS 25) unless you have an extremely restricted diet.   

And we were talking about the average family, not the live-on-one-flavor-and-size-of-ramen-for-a-month, wear-our-underwear-twice-so-we-can-stretch-the-detergent-until-I-find-a-new-coupon-for-75%-off  family.

• Lazio
  • Expert Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
But as you can see...it's not made up

It is though.
Here is one for you:  https://www.inspiringsavings.com/what-percentage-is-really-saved-by-all-that-coupon-use/

7% on average and not 75%.

Initially you wrote this 75% like that was normal for your average Korean housewife. It's not normal in Korea or anywhere. Not even extreme. It would be beyond extreme.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 01:34:27 pm by Lazio »

Yeah, but maybe not. 

I'm not saying you can't save money by using coupons, but an average coupon value of 75% just ain't gonna happen (remember this must be the case for every single food and personal supply purchase you make, every time, including at the GS 25) unless you have an extremely restricted diet.   

And we were talking about the average family, not the live-on-one-flavor-and-size-of-ramen-for-a-month, wear-our-underwear-twice-so-we-can-stretch-the-detergent-until-I-find-a-new-coupon-for-75%-off  family.
That's not how it's done. You do get a variety, but you buy in bulk ahead of time. In fact, part of it is that you take advantage of products that you might not regularly eat and know how to use them.

It isn't easy, but it is something to learn. The fact that so many people here aren't aware of it (or I should say, the fact that it seems most men here aren't aware of it) speaks to the value of shopping education and shopping as a skill. Like, even if you don't go to that level, if you do some things like buy certain durable staples through couponing in bulk and then take advantage of offers and spend time scanning for deals, you can save quite a bit of money and there is certainly a level of skill involved.

The fact that some people here don't think there is any skill to shopping, really shows why shopping education is important. In particular, there's a reason that female shoppers, often more experienced in buying staple goods, buying for the family, and buying long-term, adopt different shopping strategies compared to their male counterparts and that in cases these need to be taught. Likewise, there are undoubtedly certain areas of male shopping decision-making, namely the cost-benefit analysis that goes into getting something now vs. getting something better that should be taught to one's children.

But there are LOTS of bad shoppers out there. Look at some of the people on this board. You had people still claiming that Foreign Food Mart was the only place to get cheese well into like, 2015 when anyone with any reasonable shopping acumen knew that wasn't the case. People who can't be arsed to get the products they want because they're too impatient to sign up for stuff. People who are completely unaware of significant discounts or point usage and stuff like that because they don't even bother to look or pay attention.

"I can't find clothes X except at some department store for way too much"
"Dude, just go to Macy's, they ship to Korea. Cheap"
"What's Macy's?"
"Just go there"
"Oh nice, they have it, I'm gonna buy it"
"Dude, not now, wait 3 weeks. That's when their Winter Sale should start"

Like, the number of variations on this conversation I've had with friends in Korea. Like, how do you not know to look around on the internet to find what you're looking for? How do you not know that virtually all retailers have seasonal sales? You can save like SERIOUS cash on what you would have bought. Like two or three for the price of one type stuff.

And yeah, ask around and talk to friends about shopping. That's how you learn.

• fka
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul

None of the urban women that I know live like suburban soccer moms, which is how you've typecast them in this thread. I'll take your word for it that you're not trying to white knight, but in trying to demonstrate some awareness that the rest of us are apparently lacking, you've revealed a big blind spot for women that don't conform to a very narrow type. Which is to say, a lot of them. 
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 01:59:56 pm by fka »

Initially you wrote this 75% like that was normal for your average Korean housewife. It's not normal in Korea or anywhere. Not even extreme. It would be beyond extreme.

No I didn't. First I referred to them as "pro" couponers. I did at one point say "smart", but nowhere did I say "average". My point wasn't that this was average. My point was that to get significant savings you need to learn skills and these are skills that are taught. You don't get that level of "pro" savings by just being able to read.

The only people who think there is no skill to shopping are people who suck at shopping.

None of the urban women that I know live like suburban soccer moms, which is how you've typecast them in this thread.
Who says only suburban women coupon? Urban women coupon too! What you think that's a soccer mom-only thing? You think lugging around 3 kids and having to get them to this, that and the other is a suburban only thing? You don't think there's urban women who gladly use the car to do errands and get the kids to go play together or take them somewhere?

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
This is purely logical and I have nothing to back it up. but I imagine the time put in to save that much money couponing would be EXTREME.

Unless you have a chrome extension that automatically adds coupons/promo codes/discounts etc (like Honey) then............... how much time would one have to spend to reach an absurd number like 75%??

There comes a point where your effort in does not make the output worth it.

I couponed for 2 hours and I found 6000W worth of savings.

Alright, you're working for 3 bucks an hour, nice. NOT. 

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
OR your entire diet is dictated by coupons, which if you're poverty level, fine, it's more of a necessity but I can't imagine dictating my entire meal plan by coupon law.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, HAM AGAIN.

"Mom, when can we have chicken breasts?"

NO COUPON, NO CHICKEN BREASTS.

Well the ones that are really into have a system down that lets them be pretty efficient, even for moderate savings. As I said, you also have to be flexible- "Alright we're a Colgate family for the next year."

There's also an element of "leading into it" meaning that when you're buying bulk goods and taking advantage, it might take a few years until you're able to have a cycle with diversity so you aren't doing what you described.

And if you want to go smaller, then you can focus just on say, things like detergent, shampoo, toothpaste, soap, paper towels and leave food out of it (or just breakfast cereal and spaghetti sauce and other stuff that's more "controllable").

It can also work for things like refreshments for club/church meetings. Like, if you are one of those people that has a good recipe for everything, you can turn deeply discounted Armour Deviled Ham+ Mrs. Davis telling you her recipe and get decent refreshments for the 2PM service.

But yes, you put one person who knows what they're doing when it comes to shopping and they can significantly reduce the budget and even get better food. Or you can give it some clueless dude who blows 50 bucks on a bunch of bags of Doritos, Chips Ahoy! and bottles of Pepsi.

• fka
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul
Who says only suburban women coupon? Urban women coupon too! What you think that's a soccer mom-only thing? You think lugging around 3 kids and having to get them to this, that and the other is a suburban only thing? You don't think there's urban women who gladly use the car to do errands and get the kids to go play together or take them somewhere?

I'm not saying that no urban women do this. I'm pointing out that you're criticizing the rest of us for our apparent ignorance of how women conduct their lives while men are out of the picture, while painting a picture of them sitting at home in front of Judge Judy, clipping coupons all day before piling a pack of kids into the SUV to go to the big box store. Maybe that's not what you intended but it's how it comes across.

I'm not saying that no urban women do this. I'm pointing out that you're criticizing the rest of us for our apparent ignorance of how women conduct their lives while men are out of the picture, while painting a picture of them sitting at home in front of Judge Judy, clipping coupons all day before piling a pack of kids into the SUV to go to the big box store. Maybe that's not what you intended but it's how it comes across.
I'm saying these are things that are done by a number of women.

I'm not saying these are things that are done by most.

But "Pfft, you don't need cars. And pfft, shopping isn't a skill and couponing isn't a thing" is on another level entirely.

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• Seoul
I am made Mayor of Seoul for 30 days with wide discretionary powers and I immediately ban coupons.
Or, enact a law requiring a certain someone to exclusively purchase all food and personal supply items with coupons that can get that person an average of 75% off ... and see how they like it.

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
Post of the day!

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
OR your entire diet is dictated by coupons, which if you're poverty level, fine, it's more of a necessity but I can't imagine dictating my entire meal plan by coupon law.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, HAM AGAIN.

"Mom, when can we have chicken breasts?"

NO COUPON, NO CHICKEN BREASTS.
If you're living in poverty, the stores you shop at probably don't take coupons.