Read 2986 times

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
Woke western culture is now worse than Communism.
« on: June 15, 2021, 12:35:05 pm »
Western woke culture, weird pronouns, critical race conspiracy theory, etc is worse than the most communist countey now.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/north-korean-defector-after-attending-ivy-league-school-even-north-korea-was-not-this-nuts

Famed North Korean defector Yeonmi Park offered a chilling account of her time at Columbia University, saying that not even North Korea went to the level of brainwashing that she witnessed.

Like in North Korea, Park said she witnessed example after example of anti-Western sentiment and guilt-tripping. During her orientation, for instance, a staff member scolded her for liking classic literature.

"Even North Korea is not this nuts,” she added. “North Korea was pretty crazy, but not this crazy.”

“Because I have seen oppression, I know what it looks like,” she said. “These kids keep saying how they’re oppressed, how much injustice they’ve experienced. They don’t know how hard it is to be free.”

“I literally crossed through the middle of the Gobi Desert to be free. But what I did was nothing, so many people fought harder than me and didn’t make it,” she added.

Not being able to think critically has real-world consequences on society, noted Park as she recalled her inability to see that leader Kim Jong Un was the fattest man in the country while the people were starving.

“In North Korea I literally believed that my Dear Leader [Kim Jong-un] was starving,” she said. “He’s the fattest guy – how can anyone believe that? And then somebody showed me a photo and said ‘Look at him, he’s the fattest guy. Other people are all thin.’ And I was like, ‘Oh my God, why did I not notice that he was fat?’ Because I never learned how to think critically.”

“That is what is happening in America,” she added. “People see things but they’ve just completely lost the ability to think critically.”

Having seen the worst of humanity in North Korea only to witness brainwashing in the United States, Park admitted to feeling quite bitter and hopeless about it all.

“You guys have lost common sense to degree that I as a North Korean cannot even comprehend,” she said. “Where are we going from here? There’s no rule of law, no morality, nothing is good or bad anymore, it’s complete chaos. I guess that’s what they want, to destroy every single thing and rebuild into a Communist paradise.”

The Daily Wire is one of America’s fastest-growing conservative media companies and counter-cultural outlets for news, opinion, and entertainment. Get inside access to The Daily Wire by becoming a member.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 12:40:27 pm by hangook77 »

• fka
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul
Re: Woke western culture is now worse than Communism.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 12:56:12 pm »
More communist propaganda from Hangook The Red.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 12:57:07 pm »
Not being able to think critically has real-world consequences on society, noted Park as she recalled her inability to see that leader Kim Jong Un was the fattest man in the country while the people were starving.

“In North Korea I literally believed that my Dear Leader [Kim Jong-un] was starving,” she said. “He’s the fattest guy – how can anyone believe that? And then somebody showed me a photo and said ‘Look at him, he’s the fattest guy. Other people are all thin.’ And I was like, ‘Oh my God, why did I not notice that he was fat?’ Because I never learned how to think critically.”

She escaped in 2007 and KJU became leader in 2011. She'd already lived in South Korea for TWO YEARS by the time KJU took power.

This isn't to say that she had NEVER seen pictures of KJU prior to him taking over, but this needs some clarification on her/Daily Wire's part.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 01:08:47 pm »
She escaped in 2007 and KJU became leader in 2011. She'd already lived in South Korea for TWO YEARS by the time KJU took power.

This isn't to say that she had NEVER seen pictures of KJU prior to him taking over, but this needs some clarification on her/Daily Wire's part.

She still lived there and experienced life under two harsh dictators plus speaks to folks inside via smuggled Chinese cell phones as most defectors do.  Either way, they way she grew up as bad as it was seems only slightly worse than new creeping authoritarian woke accusation culture taking over now.  So glad I never had to face that garbage as a kid.  My sister's daughter was kept after school for using the wrong pronoun on a kid (and this was elementary school).  Totally messed up.  Though, for now, the parents have had a lot of the power given to them.  School called my sister and tried to rake her daughter over the coals.  My sister told them off and said her daughter said nothing wrong.  She told them off back and grabbed her daughter and walked out on them.  I was pretty proud of them pushing back against the PC trash.  She went back to school the next day and the stupid woke teachers could do nothing.  But that will change.  These crazies will push for laws demanding full compliance with the state and the right to interfere with families.  That day is coming.  Full commie takeover.  May have to move to an actual commie country to have more freedom or at least from this indoctrination and crazy mental illness. 

• fka
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Seoul
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2021, 01:24:42 pm »

https://www.38north.org/2015/06/jstrother062515/

A second, slower-boiling dispute involves the 21-year-old defector Park Yeon Mi; her memoir is not due out until later this year, but media commentators,[1] bloggers[2] and other North Korean refugees[3] already suspect she embellished the story of her escape with elements lifted from other defector accounts.

Journalists and other writers regularly note that they cannot independently verify statements by North Korean defectors. Authors give the benefit of the doubt to their subjects in such cases, at least until holes emerge in their stories. In a new foreword to Shin’s account, Harden acknowledges that he should have “done more to examine the psychological dimensions of his (Shin’s) relation to truth.”[4] Park Yeon Mi and her book’s collaborator, Maryanne Vollers, declined to comment for this article, but both have attempted in press statements to explain apparent inconsistencies in Park’s accounts.[5]

Sources in Seoul’s close-knit refugee and advocacy community have refused to publicly discuss whether specific inaccuracies appear to be deliberate lies or honest mistakes, but several have spoken in general terms about the trustworthiness of defector accounts. Sokeel Park, director of research and strategy at Liberty in North Korea (LiNK), acknowledged that “defectors don’t necessarily understand Western journalists’ required standards for ‘the truth’” and might alter their histories to protect themselves or their families.

Kim Seok-hyang, a professor at the Institute for Unification Studies at Ewha Women’s University in Seoul, said lying is “a way of surviving” in North Korea and telling the truth “is a good way to kill yourself.” Many defectors live for years in the South with a “guiltless” habit of fibbing, and the attention lavished on some may cause them to “become drunk with celebrity [status]” and start believing their own lies, she said...

Shin Mi-nyeo, director of the refugee support group Saejowi, described the motivations of North Korean defectors in more cynical terms. Some journalists pay them for interviews, while political and security organizations provide them stipends for giving lectures, she said.

“Smart defectors use activism to make a living,” and some of the more outspoken defectors “know what journalists want to hear,” Shin said. She added, though, that the professional success of a few North Korean activists has created a “false impression that entering activism is a lucrative career move.”

To be fair to Park, that Daily Wire article oversimplifies or exaggerates a couple of her quotes. Here's the whole recording: https://www.foxnews.com/us/north-korean-defector-ivy-league-nuts

I use the word "recording" deliberately because it's not an interview - just Park talking to the camera for 7 minutes, with a bit of editing. Kind of odd as a "news story". Anyway, it's basically a grab bag of right-wing anti-woke talking points that don't hold up to much scrutiny. For example, the bit about being "scolded" for liking the classics. In the video she mentions Jane Austen specifically. Well, Jane Austen is part of Columbia's Core Curriculum (https://www.college.columbia.edu/core/content/jane-austen) and there's a more specialized class related to Austen and poetry: https://english.columbia.edu/content/jane-austen-and-poets

Austen relished contemporary verse as did her readers. Studying her perfectly structured novels together with, for example, William Cowper’s rambling, loco-descriptive, blank-verse meditations on nature and society, or George Crabbe’s biting couplets about miserable village life, shall enrich our appreciation of the atmosphere in which Austen cultivated her sensibility, anticipated the taste and moral tenor of her readers, and exercised artistic control. We will read three of her novels —Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Prejudice, and Persuasion—alongside the poets she and her readers loved and whose poems they enjoyed hearing recited by characters in her novels. Our poets include Johnson, Cowper (her beloved favorite), Crabbe, Smith, Barbauld, Wordsworth, and Coleridge, among others.

So yeah, I don't think anyone got scolded for saying that they enjoy Jane Austen.

• fka
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Seoul
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2021, 01:30:56 pm »
Here are Columbia's ultra-woke Core Curriculum literature texts: https://www.college.columbia.edu/core/lithum/texts

Homer, Virgil, Sophocles, Shakespeare, Dante, Plato, Austen, Milton, Dostoevsky, Cervantes...

Not a white man in sight. Where will the madness end?

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2021, 01:42:26 pm »
I would take everything Yeonmi Park has to say with a grain of salt.
Join the DeMart Fan Club!
Shout out to WhenInRome... the first member. Thank you my son!

• D.L.Orean
  • Expert Waygook

• February 25, 2020, 09:34:41 am
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2021, 01:46:55 pm »
She still lived there and experienced life under two harsh dictators plus speaks to folks inside via smuggled Chinese cell phones as most defectors do.  Either way, they way she grew up as bad as it was seems only slightly worse than new creeping authoritarian woke accusation culture taking over now

So growing up in North Korea is only slightly worse than growing up in the United States in 2021? What are the slight differences that make it just a little bit worse?

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2021, 01:49:33 pm »
Here are Columbia's ultra-woke Core Curriculum literature texts: https://www.college.columbia.edu/core/lithum/texts

Homer, Virgil, Sophocles, Shakespeare, Dante, Plato, Austen, Milton, Dostoevsky, Cervantes...

Not a white man in sight. Where will the madness end?

At least, Jesus is still known as a white man.

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2021, 01:55:10 pm »
Yeonmi Park is quickly diving into Ayaan Hirsi Ali territory. Basically becoming a useful pawn/token for an agenda. Similar profiles and responses and focus on the limelight and bedfellows and all that.

Be skeptical of someone who is telling you exactly what you want to hear.

If you really think woke America is as bad as North Korea, you're a fing idiot.

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2021, 01:59:26 pm »
Famed North Korean defector Yeonmi Park offered a chilling account of her time at Columbia University, saying that not even North Korea went to the level of brainwashing that she witnessed.

Like in North Korea, Park said she witnessed example after example of anti-Western sentiment and guilt-tripping. During her orientation, for instance, a staff member scolded her for liking classic literature.

"Even North Korea is not this nuts,” she added. “North Korea was pretty crazy, but not this crazy.”

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2021, 02:02:02 pm »

Anyways, I'm no fan of Communism and reject it in my own country.  But whatever other folks do in theirs is their gig so long as they don't intrude on me. 

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2021, 02:09:43 pm »

Well if they are less Communist than my own country and pay me more.  Cause 2.1 mil ain't gonna fund your retirement nor will a just above minimum wage back home. 

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2021, 02:11:04 pm »
It's coming for you.  Give it 10 or 15 years.  Perhaps, sooner.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKcWu0tsiZM

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2021, 02:19:03 pm »
It's coming for you.  Give it 10 or 15 years.  Perhaps, sooner.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKcWu0tsiZM
While it was funny and could well be coming to "that one social class everyone has to take",  I think treating that as "prophetic" is a bit much,

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2021, 02:22:10 pm »
While it was funny and could well be coming to "that one social class everyone has to take",  I think treating that as "prophetic" is a bit much,

Asians in North America are being lumped in with whites now as an undesired class.  So, they'll be coming for you too. 

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2021, 02:32:03 pm »
Asians in North America are being lumped in with whites now as an undesired class.  So, they'll be coming for you too. 
MFers have always been coming for Asians or blacks or Jews or Mexicans. What else is new?

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2021, 02:35:47 pm »
I personally know Yeonmi, she's pandering to gullible right wingers and rage suckers...essential ly doing a Candace Owen Asian style.

But rage on I guess.

• pkjh
  • The Legend

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
    • Asia
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2021, 02:38:49 pm »
I wouldn't use Yeonmi Park as an example, there are just to many holes in her ever changing story. And she makes tons of money milking it. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but be aware of the weak foundation her 'stories' are on.

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2021, 02:47:13 pm »
I personally know Yeonmi, she's pandering to gullible right wingers and rage suckers...essential ly doing a Candace Owen Asian style.

But rage on I guess.
She's trying to boot Michelle Malkin and Gordon Chang off their throne.

I'm nominally on the right, but I can tell when someone is doing a shuck n jive. It's why I've always said on here I don't care for Candace Owens. You can be on the right and a minority without doing that whole act. Like Ayaan Hirsi Ali vs. Siraj Hashmi. Ayaan basically feeds into every anti-Islam stereotype. Hasmi on the other hand is on the right but is like "What up habibis! Corona has all of you acting Muslim now. Told you we win!" Like not apologizing or whitewashing who he is or what his background was. Same with like, Amazing Lucas who won't tolerate clown takes on police violence and doesn't apologize for being black.

But Candace Owens? Has some things to say, but the second she tries to talk to or for black people, it's just painful to watch.