Read 1063 times

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
What do you change about the city? I mean this in the sense that you are mayor, not Hitler. You have some wider powers and a decent budget to make the city better, but don't be an idiot, haha (I'd turn Gyeongbokgung into an artillery range............. maybe not)
ETA 2day 4hour 45min to next reboot.
DO NOT UNPLUG

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
Stop with the flag stones everywhere, they make for a shitty sidewalk. Every thaw and freeze they get all wonky and uneven and they're a real pain, especially on a bicycle.

Also............... .. make biking friendlier, take them off the sidewalk a lot of places and put in some dedicated bikel lanes on major thoroughfares. Also, push a public awareness campaign about how the BROWN SMOOTH PATHS at pedestrian are bike lanes and the flagstones (UGH) are for walking.
DO NOT UNPLUG

Spitting loogies on the sidewalk=public floggings.

Wait, I can't be Hitler, you say?

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu County, Taiwan (not part of China)
    more
Put trash cans everywhere.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

Introduce a congestion charge.  A minimum of 10 thousand Won to drive in Seoul, per day (increases according to vehicle size and fuel type).  No discounts.   All the money raised is ploughed back into more subway lines, electric buses, cycle paths etc.

Sink those ugly Hangang expressways underground and build parks over the top.

Make it illegal to drive through a red light at any time, none of this turning right and creeping through pedestrians crossing on green nonsense.

As you can guess, I'm not a big fan of the traffic situation in Seoul.

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
Stop with the flag stones everywhere, they make for a shitty sidewalk. Every thaw and freeze they get all wonky and uneven and they're a real pain, especially on a bicycle.

Also............... .. make biking friendlier, take them off the sidewalk a lot of places and put in some dedicated bikel lanes on major thoroughfares. Also, push a public awareness campaign about how the BROWN SMOOTH PATHS at pedestrian are bike lanes and the flagstones (UGH) are for walking.

I don't bike but I agree.  And then tow or clamp cars that park on them and that block sidewalks.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
"wide discretionary powers"?

...I'd use every iota of that political power to try and pass a law against ANY INDIVIDUAL having wide discretionary powers.

Seriously.

If your idea can't persuade 50.1% of the population then your idea isn't worth being implemented here and now.

Imagine if instead of the political liars of representative democracy we had direct democracy for every law and bill passed?

Like Plato said, we'd have the least ideal rule but the least worst potential result.

Introduce a congestion charge.  A minimum of 10 thousand Won to drive in Seoul, per day (increases according to vehicle size and fuel type).  No discounts.   All the money raised is ploughed back into more subway lines, electric buses, cycle paths etc.

Sink those ugly Hangang expressways underground and build parks over the top.

Make it illegal to drive through a red light at any time, none of this turning right and creeping through pedestrians crossing on green nonsense.

As you can guess, I'm not a big fan of the traffic situation in Seoul.

It's easy to criticise people who drive when you don't drive.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
I have only been driving since 1987, six vehicles in all.

And I protest the Korean habit of slamming on the brakes at the last second, of starting to turn corners BEFORE looking at merging opportunities and seeing yellow signals as a sign to hurry up, not slow down and prepare to stop.

Korea earns its OECD terrible ranking in terms of several kinds of accidents. I fear taxis and buses, NOT the police. Traffic laws are like suggestions often ignored rather than rules to be followed.

Put trash cans everywhere.
This

...I'd use every iota of that political power to try and pass a law against ANY INDIVIDUAL having wide discretionary powers.

Seriously.

If your idea can't persuade 50.1% of the population then your idea isn't worth being implemented here and now.

Imagine if instead of the political liars of representative democracy we had direct democracy for every law and bill passed?

Like Plato said, we'd have the least ideal rule but the least worst potential result.
And this.

Been driving for 12 years in and around Seoul, that's why it's hard not to feel the way I do when staring out the window at the Han, stuck in yet another traffic jam.

I have only been driving since 1987, six vehicles in all.

And I protest the Korean habit of slamming on the brakes at the last second, of starting to turn corners BEFORE looking at merging opportunities and seeing yellow signals as a sign to hurry up, not slow down and prepare to stop.

Korea earns its OECD terrible ranking in terms of several kinds of accidents. I fear taxis and buses, NOT the police. Traffic laws are like suggestions often ignored rather than rules to be followed.

Don't leave out the best one, if you press the Hazard light button in Korea it's like hitting a star in Mario and you can go anywhere you like, ignoring red lights and other road users, you're invincible!

Been driving for 12 years in and around Seoul, that's why it's hard not to feel the way I do when staring out the window at the Han, stuck in yet another traffic jam.

Get a motorcycle

My commute to work - Car 40-50 minutes; Subway 40 minutes; Bicycle 30-35 minutes; Motorcycle 20-25 minutes

attempt to improve access to special education and mental health services for people

tow or clamp cars that park on them and that block sidewalks.

I agree with this.  Whilst I enjoy being able to park just about anywhere in this country, it frustrates me massively when I cycle (I generally just cycle on the road as I find it safer / easier).  I would hate to try and get around a big city here in a wheelchair.

But on the flip side, they probably need to implement some better parking solution.   

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang

Seriously.

OMG, it's an overly complicated way of asking "How would you improve Seoul?"

Have a little imagination and try to think abstractly.
DO NOT UNPLUG

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea

Seriously.

this is a fun lil thought experiment thread and im 99% certain the "wide discretionary powers" bit is, y'know, part of the prompt to get us talking on what we'd improve about the seoul if we could. lighten up and live a little man, you dont have to take everything that seriously.

also nobody cares what plato said, although if you want to move on over to his perfect city-state by all means be my guest

in any case i dont spend enough time there to really care about the bike lanes and whatnot but yeah some more trash cans here and there would be nice. although thats something id say for most cities in korea tbh
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 07:45:44 am by 745sticky »

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
also nobody cares what plato said
Stop! You've violated the law.

I would improve Seoul by bringing back the old Hongdae playground. If they had never renovated it, who knows what might've happened. World peace? Unified Korea? No 'rona? No one knows... But yeah anyway +1 vote for trash cans.
more gg more skill

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
Stop! You've violated the law.

I would improve Seoul by bringing back the old Hongdae playground. If they had never renovated it, who knows what might've happened. World peace? Unified Korea? No 'rona? No one knows... But yeah anyway +1 vote for trash cans.

Oh shit, good point. Every time I walk down that street on the west side of the park I get a little sad. Park sucks now.
DO NOT UNPLUG

• Lazio
  • Expert Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
Traffic laws are like suggestions often ignored rather than rules to be followed.

Are you talking about yourself or in general?

I pay 32,000 won a month for insurance, 50 to 80,000 won for diesel, zero on parking on principle, traffic fines go into the glove compartment to die.