Read 2689 times

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
Re: The most helpful thing you can do on this site is upload lessons
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2021, 08:39:08 am »
Realistically, no one’s gonna pay you for your PPTs, and if they did, it wouldn’t be much.

Because you worked hard on your materials, you won’t share them with others?

Shouldn’t it be the opposite line of thinking- “I’ve worked hard on this so I’d like it to be used / seen / learned by thousands of students rather than just those in my school.”

Teaching is about helping. As many as we can, as much as we can. We want to make the world a better place.

I often found ppts to be mediocre back in the day so rarely used them.  I only occasionally found one to be stellar.  So, when I switched over to elementary from middle school a few years back and the textbooks changed, I had no choice but to use my own or make them.  I took templates from past books and had to reinvent them quite a bit.  I also got sent around to other schools and got other textbooks and asked why there wasn't much materials on these books.  So, I posted a few materials then found some others got into the act of contributing.  It is my hope when the new books come out again, that others will pay it forward.  I shared for these current books, but doubt I will for the next books.  Others will have to take mine and others materials and pay it forward.  I hope this will be the case.  I may share a few things, but I won't share very much. 

I was as I said, seriously underwhelmed by what I saw off this site before. 

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2021, 10:39:40 am »
Well, if 20 bucks really breaks your back, then more power to ya.
oh man that is rich coming from you lol. if cloud services really break your back (?) then more power to ya!
more gg more skill

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2021, 11:22:05 am »
Not criticizing anyone specific with this, but I think the best way to get people hooked is to give them a taste, Then you start charging for your bags.

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2021, 11:26:45 am »
I often found ppts to be mediocre back in the day so rarely used them.  I only occasionally found one to be stellar.  So, when I switched over to elementary from middle school a few years back and the textbooks changed, I had no choice but to use my own or make them.  I took templates from past books and had to reinvent them quite a bit.  I also got sent around to other schools and got other textbooks and asked why there wasn't much materials on these books.  So, I posted a few materials then found some others got into the act of contributing.  It is my hope when the new books come out again, that others will pay it forward.  I shared for these current books, but doubt I will for the next books.  Others will have to take mine and others materials and pay it forward.  I hope this will be the case.  I may share a few things, but I won't share very much. 

I was as I said, seriously underwhelmed by what I saw off this site before. 

You got here in Sept 2017.  This is at the time the paywall went up and almost all the top contributors pulled their materials off the website.

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2021, 12:51:45 pm »
Realistically, no one’s gonna pay you for your PPTs, and if they did, it wouldn’t be much.

Because you worked hard on your materials, you won’t share them with others?

Shouldn’t it be the opposite line of thinking- “I’ve worked hard on this so I’d like it to be used / seen / learned by thousands of students rather than just those in my school.”

Teaching is about helping. As many as we can, as much as we can. We want to make the world a better place.

People are paying me for my PPTs though. That's why I make them in the first place.

Teaching is about helping, sure. I'm more than happy to help with things like advice, teaching/admin experiences, classroom management etc...but my work, which I spent hundreds/thousands of my non-working hours making, should be compensated.

It's like those part time jobs that want to only pay you for the time you'll be teaching...but somehow still expect materials to be prepared and work to be graded.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2021, 08:56:28 am »
You mean you’re being paid via tax money?

How about going beyond specified duties at little to no cost to yourself? (Doesn’t take a big amount of time to upload files.)

You feel you should be additionally compensated, therefore you’re not going to share?

And because you put in hard work you won’t share?

The reality is you’re not going to be paid by a website or other teachers, so why not put it out into the universe to be used and enjoyed by others?

With the additional time freed up, teachers can make more materials and better the curriculum, uploading more materials. A few might do that… hopefully…

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• Chungnam
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2021, 09:13:51 am »
You mean you’re being paid via tax money?

A mixture of tax and private money. The people who paid me to make my PPTs have those PPTs. Simple as.

How about going beyond specified duties at little to no cost to yourself? (Doesn’t take a big amount of time to upload files.)

That's where "I'm more than happy to help with things like advice, teaching/admin experiences, classroom management etc" comes in.

You feel you should be additionally compensated, therefore you’re not going to share? 

And because you put in hard work you won’t share? 

Errr...yeah

The reality is you’re not going to be paid by a website or other teachers, so why not put it out into the universe to be used and enjoyed by others?

Yet, somehow teachers pay teachers is an actual thing. Where teachers actually pay teachers for...teaching materials.

Not only that, I also get to get paid for my private lessons...whuch I use, wait for it, the teaching materials I laboured so much to prepare!

So much for people not paying.

With the additional time freed up, teachers can make more materials and better the curriculum, uploading more materials. A few might do that… hopefully…

And all that could still be achieved if teachers get paid for the materials they produce.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2021, 09:18:30 am »
You think if people used your PPTs when teaching privates that’d cut into your business? Seems unlikely. People on this site teach at public schools and don’t do privates. (Exceptions are rare.)

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2021, 09:22:26 am »
You think if people used your PPTs when teaching privates that’d cut into your business? Seems unlikely. People on this site teach at public schools and don’t do privates. (Exceptions are rare.)

Yeah, real rare. 

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2021, 09:25:52 am »
I’ve never done privates while teaching at a public school. Our contract says not to; it’s illegal. You think it’s common? What percentage of us are doing it?

• Adel
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 30, 2015, 12:50:26 am
    • The Abyss
    more
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2021, 09:30:22 am »
When I last taught in Korea often more than half of my income came from teaching privates. My Uni contract didn't give me permission but it was routinely ignored. We just used to rephrase it as consultation, when Korean co-teachers approached me to teach their kids. It wasn't illegal as I was on an F series visa, it could've been in breach of contract but no-one gave a rats.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 09:31:54 am by Adel »

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2021, 09:44:10 am »
But we’re teachers. We should strive to help others. That’s what teaching is - a helping profession.

But that doesn't entail letting others take advantage of them, either. There were a ton of people constantly posting stuff up on waygook, but they took their business elsewhere after waygook put up the paywall because they basically saw the action as an unethical attempt to profit off the free materials that other people have made. Even though excuses were given for this, a lot of the actions that followed the paywall didn't really make sense in regard to them. They only make sense from a profit-standpoint.

So even though there are ways around the paywall, a lot of users became disillusioned with the site in general and abandoned it altogether while other users went on to create different sites for posting materials. For the ones who left for other sites, though, this disillusionment kind of followed them so that none of these sites are anywhere near as active as waygook used to be. Now most people I know share their materials via shared chatroom drives or with people they know irl.

Waygook still has a lot of resources posted by users who've long left Korea, though, users who never deleted their content because they weren't around when shit hit the fan. It's just a little outdated, nothing a little time and effort can't fix as long as you don't mind paying to access those materials.

For me personally, I am currently sharing my materials with others. I'm just not uploading them online atm. I was actually waiting to post all of my materials once I'm ready to leave Korea since most of it can identify me irl, and I guess I still plan to, but it won't be on waygook.org.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 10:04:57 am by Chinguetti »

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2021, 10:18:36 am »
But that doesn't entail letting others take advantage of them, either. There were a ton of people constantly posting stuff up on waygook, but they took their business elsewhere after waygook put up the paywall because they basically saw the action as an unethical attempt to profit off the free materials that other people have made. Even though excuses were given for this, a lot of the actions that followed the paywall didn't really make sense in regard to them. They only make sense from a profit-standpoint.

So even though there are ways around the paywall, a lot of users became disillusioned with the site in general and abandoned it altogether while other users went on to create different sites for posting materials. For the ones who left for other sites, though, this disillusionment kind of followed them so that none of these sites are anywhere near as active as waygook used to be. Now most people I know share their materials via shared chatroom drives or with people they know irl.

Waygook still has a lot of resources posted by users who've long left Korea, though, users who never deleted their content because they weren't around when shit hit the fan. It's just a little outdated, nothing a little time and effort can't fix as long as you don't mind paying to access those materials.

For me personally, I am currently sharing my materials with others. I'm just not uploading them online atm. I was actually waiting to post all of my materials once I'm ready to leave Korea since most of it can identify me irl, and I guess I still plan to, but it won't be on waygook.org.

For me, I first only deleted my materials that were copyright problems--when the site was free to use, the educational use exception would prevent most problems, perhaps at worst at C&D.  But Walt Disney is extremely litigious, so I pulled down anything Disney, Marvel, Star Wars etc etc.  Then the folks in charge here got all shirty and behaved like complete jerks, so i took everything down, and have relocated to hosting site that is free for users up and down.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2021, 10:28:13 am »
I was actually waiting to post all of my materials once I'm ready to leave Korea since most of it can identify me irl, and I guess I still plan to, but it won't be on waygook.org.

How about posting the stuff without identifiers?

Putting it out there sooner than later is better because of Murphy’s Law, plus it’s more time for people to use it, meaning more uses, which would be a greater overall benefit to students and teachers.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2021, 10:34:27 am »
I don't help because I'm a cruel, spiteful person and I hate all of you except CO4 and Chimp.

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• Chungnam
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2021, 10:37:23 am »

I  never said that.

I just want to be compensated for my time and effort.

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2021, 10:38:07 am »
Putting it out there sooner than later is better because of Murphy’s Law
excuse me?

also, the world would be a better place if everyone did everything on a volunteer basis and we all shared the fruits of each other's hard work and labor. unfortunately, that's not the world we live in. you get yours, i get mine, and the dude abides
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 10:40:44 am by tylerthegloob »
more gg more skill

« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2021, 10:44:23 am »
For me, I first only deleted my materials that were copyright problems--when the site was free to use, the educational use exception would prevent most problems, perhaps at worst at C&D.  But Walt Disney is extremely litigious, so I pulled down anything Disney, Marvel, Star Wars etc etc.  Then the folks in charge here got all shirty and behaved like complete jerks, so i took everything down, and have relocated to hosting site that is free for users up and down.

Yeah, I remember all of that. Instead of addressing everyone's concerns, the go-to was to tell them to leave if they didn't like it. So they did, lmao.

I love all of your materials, btw.  :angel:

Chinguetti,

How about posting the stuff without identifiers?

Putting it out there sooner than later is better because of Murphy’s Law, plus it’s more time for people to use it, meaning more uses, which would be a greater overall benefit to students and teachers.

I didn't just copy and paste what I found out and about, I made everything in my own style, so it isn't about names and pictures in my materials. Much of it is original content. That means if you've ever seen any of my presentations or lessons before, you'd know it was me, even without any identifiers being plugged in.

Aside from that, my shit isn't going to grandly change another person's teaching ability or lessons. My stuff is only unique in how I designed them, so you can find other similar resources out there. It just won't have my personal flare.

Plus, I have zero motivation to create additional google accounts just to upload all of my content atm. It would take forever to upload and to organize, and all of that can wait for when I'm in cleaning-out-my-desk mode.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2021, 10:45:42 am »
I just want to be compensated for my time and effort.

You already are being compensated. So why not give a gift to others? It’s a matter of efficiency. You know how globalization made the world a better place through specialization and exchange of ideas? Same type of deal here. The wheel won’t have to keep being reinvented and made. We can save other people time.

« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2021, 11:04:03 am »
L I, man, there ARE other sites out there, lol. Waygook is no longer the center hub for ESL in Korea resources anymore.

Have you visited these other sites? Do you know of them?