Read 8328 times

• Lazio
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
Re: POLL, South Korea's hygiene standards
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2021, 06:40:44 pm »
Don't know what you're talking about, parking lots are the favoured spittoons of Korean smokers.
I typically circumnavigate a sea of spit and cigarette butts whenever getting into or leaving my car.

If a Korean tells you they have no idea about the spitting problem it's because they don't see a problem with hocking your guts onto the street or their lying through their teeth to avoid cultural embarrassment.

You must park in some crappy areas. Most half decent places, be it residential or commercial, have non-smoking parking lots.

I agree with pkjh. Driving makes a huge difference. Significantly lowers the chances to witness some disgusting behavior or come across weirdos, people with bad hygiene etc.
Driving on the other hand is an entirely different can of worms...

« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2021, 06:46:40 pm »
Don't see much spit, or cigarette butts, in all those mall parking garages pretty clean when I go. That's the extent of how lots of Koreans live their lives drive to work, home, shopping, maybe see a movie. All parking in those parking garages.

Obviously the covered parking at a Lotte Mart or mall is going to be different, with security cameras, pretty strict smoking regulations etc.

Parking lots at apartments, villas or any public parking area is a different story. 

• Lazio
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2021, 07:19:40 pm »
Obviously the covered parking at a Lotte Mart or mall is going to be different, with security cameras, pretty strict smoking regulations etc.

Parking lots at apartments, villas or any public parking area is a different story. 

Hmm villas, yes. But many apartments are completely smoke free which means people have to leave the apartment grounds if they want to smoke. Even if they allow smoking on ground level, people don't just throw cigarette butts all over the place. If some jerk does it, there are the maintenance guys who would clean it up. Also, the underground parking area is definitely no-smoking zone in apartment complexes.
City operated parking lots also have strict no smoking rules. Not necessarily enforced but the majority would follow it nevertheless.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 07:27:48 pm by Lazio »

« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2021, 10:29:53 am »
Place I've associated with cleanliness around the world: A parking lot/parking garage.

Certainly not pigeon filth, trash, urine, drug deals, and condoms tossed out of cars.

« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2021, 07:48:15 am »
honestly where the heck are you guys seeing all of this nasty ass stuff?
I rarely see people spit on the streets. Bathrooms, I guess you guys are going to drinking places with crappy bathrooms and not working out of any major offices where the bathrooms are cleaned regularly by professionals and recorded on a piece of paper to make sure the cleaners are held accountable.

I think you can add some other things to NON Korean cleanliness:
1. Do you think sharing a joint with your homies contributes to the spreading of disease?
2. Do you think drinking shots off of sweaty girls at clubs is gross?
3. Do you think sharing water bottles while being high on ecstasy and cocaine is somehow less disease prone than sharing food?

Western hygiene goes down the toilet when drugs and alcohol are involved. Also, spitting, I dunno, I really don't notice it. Is this during smoking and drinking?

There’s just a lot of cultural bigots on this site; that’s the answer to most of these threads.

These people come from the English-colony countries, and they were indoctrinated with supremacism culture from birth. To them, all other cultures are “the savages.” Of course collapsing American culture looks savage and dirty to many, if you want to see it from that perspective. And their obsession with “cleanliness” (spraying corporate chemicals all over everything but being worried about chopsticks touching the same food) is just weird.

Personally, I see no real problem with hygiene in Korea. Just get over your biases people; travel is toxic to bigotry unless you desperately hold onto it.

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2021, 07:58:24 am »
There’s just a lot of cultural bigots on this site; that’s the answer to most of these threads.

These people come from the English-colony countries, and they were indoctrinated with supremacism culture from birth. To them, all other cultures are “the savages.” Of course collapsing American culture looks savage and dirty to many, if you want to see it from that perspective. And their obsession with “cleanliness” (spraying corporate chemicals all over everything but being worried about chopsticks touching the same food) is just weird.

Personally, I see no real problem with hygiene in Korea. Just get over your biases people; travel is toxic to bigotry unless you desperately hold onto it.

I like to think to think I'm the most culturally bigoted person on this site, and for you to just label everyone as a cultural bigot is stereotyping.  I'M the one that started the whole sharing food with chopsticks is gross back in the Netscape days on Dave's ESL.  Don't you try and take that away from me by labeling all of these posters as being indoctrinated with supremacism.  My final Zoom lesson plan of the year is this morning and the the theme is "Why You'll Never BE As Good As ME (but I still like you...)". 
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 08:01:48 am by OnNut81 »

« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2021, 06:49:58 am »
Think of how bad hygiene is in America and the West; they actually wear the same shoes which stepped in poop inside their house! They rub it into the carpet, and then their kids play on that dirty carpet!!! Of course all Koreans think this, but propriety says to be quiet and respectful; let foreigners have their foreign ways.

Carpet, and shoes in the house, is the most dirty cultural habit. 너무 더러워요!

« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2021, 07:22:57 am »
yeah man i love to go step in a hot steamy one and then wipe it on my living room carpet. that's definitely a thing that everyone here is totally into

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• Anyang
« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2021, 07:30:04 am »
yeah man i love to go step in a hot steamy one and then wipe it on my living room carpet. that's definitely a thing that everyone here is totally into

Not to accuse you of being a barbarian, but at least I have the manners to go drop a spike outdoors, step in my own pile, and wipe that on my living room carpet.  Clearly we had different upbringings TylertheSLOB.  HaHAHA, that just came to me spontaneously, slob, good one. 
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 07:34:06 am by OnNut81 »

« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2021, 07:33:23 am »

If don’t know there are small particles you can’t see that are being transferred onto the carpet, you shouldn’t be posting on hygiene.

« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2021, 07:42:07 am »
TylertheSLOB.  HaHAHA, that just came to me spontaneously, slob, good one. 
haha good1!

If don’t know there are small particles you can’t see that are being transferred onto the carpet, you shouldn’t be posting on hygiene.
yeah man im not sure poop particles on my carpet are the biggest fish to fry in terms of hygiene, but what do i know? i'm tylertheslob! i hope korean people with dogs make their dogs wear little shoes when they go outside. oh man but what if the dogs roll around in the grass? i guess you gotta wash the dog every time it goes in and out of the apartment to get all those poop particles off the dog. aw man now you're gonna ruin dogs for me too, aren't you?

« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2021, 08:07:36 am »
Do you know why they don't take their shoes off in American TV shows when they get home?

Because it messes with the camera. Usually when they come home, they start talking to their wife, yeah?

Well, for eyelines they should both be standing. No director wants to have an actor bend over on their knee, grunting, to take their shoes off for 12 seconds. 12 seconds is FOREVER in TV land. The symbolism of taking off their coat is FAST and doesn't require them to lower their posture.

« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2021, 11:13:38 am »
While KimchiNinja's point is a trollish one, he is right about one thing- Often the standards for hygeinic behavior are incredibly subjective and many practices people are not even aware of. Case in point- shaking hands. Like, in terms of disease transmission, this practice is WRETCHED. It's in all likelihood worse than even sharing a dish of pickled or spiced food.

Should people who shake hands be termed "dirty" and given the vitriol that Koreans get for some of their practices? I personally don't think so but I try to extend the same courtesy towards everyone. Also, in the end, while all these practices have problems, I think by and large they are of relatively little impact overall. Disease is still going to disease. 

If you aren't flinging the same level of hate and rage towards hand shakers as you are spitters or dish sharers, then you're just being at best completely arbitrary, at worst you're a bigot.

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• Anyang
« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2021, 11:44:33 am »
Case in point- shaking hands. Like, in terms of disease transmission, this practice is WRETCHED. It's in all likelihood worse than even sharing a dish of pickled or spiced food.

Why is it in all likelihood worse than sharing a dish of pickled or spiced food?  I mean, obviously hand shaking here means Westerners, and pickled food eating refers to Koreans, so could you expand on why it's worse?  I'd hate to think you're at best being completely arbitrary or at worst, bigoted.  What are some of the reasons that push handshaking into being worse?  Taking into account, of course, that during normal times we all have witnessed first hand that Koreans of all ages and sexes wash their hands far less after using the toilet than their Western counterparts.  If you've lived here, you know that to be true. 

« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2021, 11:59:23 am »
thats why i always wear my handshaking glove

« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2021, 01:20:27 pm »
I mean, obviously hand shaking here means Westerners, and pickled food eating refers to Koreans, so could you expand on why it's worse? 
Because hands are the most likely thing to come into contact with a human's mouth, nose, eyes, and any open wounds. They also come into contact with things such as door handles and the like that are major sources of disease transmission. Handshaking is incredibly unhygienic.

https://www.vox.com/2014/7/29/5947703/handshakes-filthy-disease-spreading-tradition-fist-bump-instead-hygiene

If the tables were turned and we were on Foreigner.Org and we were all a bunch of, lets say non-Americans (because apparently the Brits did bow/doff for a period), we would be on here saying things like "Americans shaking hands is a filthy habit. Their hygiene standards are appalling. Don't they know that when they're shaking hands its like rubbing microscopic filth on each other? Dirty people." And I'm SURE all of us Americans would be just fine with it and not do anything considered "apologist" in disagreeing. Seriously, this should be like, common sense. Everyone should know that handshaking is one of the dirtiest, filthiest greetings in existence. It is a filthy habit that should be stopped, given everything we know about science and people who continue to do it are filthy.

Yeah, maybe we should kind of chill with some of the shit we say about Koreans and maybe not cast stones. Me personally, I don't think either the Korean practices we make an issue of or handshaking are that big of a deal as disease is going to disease no matter what and those things only provide marginal protection.

But I am surprised that some people here don't even stop to think of handshaking when they go on all these rants about Korean hygiene practices. If they really cared about stopping disease, shouldn't they be talking about handshaking, considering the audience here is Western and might actually be persuadable?

Or is it just about ranting about the ethnic other as a way to deal with one's frustrations?

« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2021, 01:46:34 pm »
These are quotes from Koreans, talking about spitting in Korea, that I posted earlier in the thread:

Do you think they are ranting about the ethnic other?
They aren't. Do you think everyone here on this forum ranting about spitting is doing so purely out of hygiene concerns and not using it as an excuse to rant about an ethnic other?

Surely if this was about hygiene (in our case) we'd give equal vigor to denouncing handshakes, yes?

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• Anyang
« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2021, 03:10:37 pm »

Surely if this was about hygiene (in our case) we'd give equal vigor to denouncing handshakes, yes?

But, it isn't just about hygiene.  It's a thread specifically about hygiene practices in South Korea.  I'm not saying you're wrong about shaking hands.  It involves a lot of trust of the other person practicing basic hygiene.  But, you're getting frustrated because a thread about South Korean hygiene habits isn't discussing Western hygiene habits.  Just start another thread (WTF did I just say?) Just avoid the thread. 

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2021, 03:13:41 pm »
Korea's come a long way.  Now if they'd either put liquid soap in the bathroom, get rid of bar soap, and have bathrooms where you didn't have to touch the knob in public buildings. (A push door would be better.)  Overall, it is better than it use to be.  Much better. 

Korea, you've come a long way baby.
745sticky, Augustiner, Bakeacake, D.L.Orean, Lazio, Mithras, Renma, Rye are still blocked and I can't see them.

« Reply #79 on: July 22, 2021, 12:20:07 pm »
But, it isn't just about hygiene.  It's a thread specifically about hygiene practices in South Korea.  I'm not saying you're wrong about shaking hands.  It involves a lot of trust of the other person practicing basic hygiene.  But, you're getting frustrated because a thread about South Korean hygiene habits isn't discussing Western hygiene habits.  Just start another thread (WTF did I just say?) Just avoid the thread. 

Maybe in a thread about unhygienic practices in the West. This is a thread about Korea.

The OP specifically put in the context of a comparison

As a developed nation are South Korea's hygiene standards up to scratch?

OP: As a developed nation (meaning in relation to other developed nations) is Korea....
DeMart: Well, actually other nations do this....
The Arbitrary: Why are you comparing other nations? We're talking about Korea!!!!!!!!

When you're talking about these things, you ARE comparing Korea to other countries. To say you aren't is ridiculous, it clearly is meant to be a comparison.

Don't whine because your assumptions are getting challenged and you are actually being challenged on your points and your thinking and that some of your preconceived notions are being proven false. Some people here love to come here and lob bombs, but the second they get challenged they throw a hissy fit about someone daring to disagree with them on the very terms that the debate started.

If you introduce an argument, the other side is free to take that argument and turn it against you. You can't complain that it's irrelevant after it has already been introduced.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 12:26:44 pm by Mr.DeMartino »