Read 1136 times

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
Re: POLL, South Korea's hygiene standards
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2021, 12:03:57 pm »
He did say something like "fka always fails to disappoint" and intended it as an insult, so I still have some reason to be proud.
that was a classic
more gg more skill

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2021, 12:04:11 pm »
Hey man, take it up with the dorks at physics.stackexchan ge

https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/423244/laser-beam-deflection-calculations

Ah, the dangers of oversimplification.

Light is never 100% deflected when it hits a surface. Unless you're using a hypothetical material with an albedo of a perfect "1", then there will always be a little absorption or refraction (even if it's only .ooo1% or whatever). Because of this, the *ackchyual* term that *real*, uh, dorks would use is reflection.
Deflection doesn't change the amount of light that is changing direction, and insofar as I know, the only way this can be done is by using gravity.

I'm pretty jealous that NorthStar christened you a deflective tinker. I wish I could wear that title.
He did say something like "fka always fails to disappoint" and intended it as an insult, so I still have some reason to be proud.
He called me a mod once. That really hurt.  :sad:
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 12:06:53 pm by Kyndo »

• fka
  • Expert Waygook

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2021, 01:29:22 pm »
He called me a mod once. That really hurt

He's just really, really into English youth subcultures of the 1960s.

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2021, 02:14:02 am »
Well that certainly does help. Can't deny that.

But that still doesn't account for the low domestic spread.

Seriously, if what all of you were claiming before was true, then even with all these measures and factors, COVID still should have spread like wildfire. It didn't.

Maybe we need to reduce the emphasis we place on these practices in terms of disease prevention.
How uniform was mask wearing? That probably made a huge difference in infection rates.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2021, 05:24:28 am »
It's an airborne disease.

You are more likely to get it breathing in an elevator than touching dishes in a restaurant.

Wear your mask.
Hand sanitizer is the soother.

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2021, 07:48:37 am »

Seriously, if what all of you were claiming before was true, then even with all these measures and factors, COVID still should have spread like wildfire. It didn't.

I must've missed this thread.  To be fair, as covid was first becoming a thing back in 2020 here I took off to Florida for a couple of weeks. You keep referring to what people were claiming before that you disagreed with, but I can't recall people saying anything like Covid is going to rage through Korea while the West skates by unscathed.  Where is this infamous thread where these claims you keep referring to were made?  I'd like to catch up. 

« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2021, 07:58:33 am »
It's an airborne disease.

You are more likely to get it breathing in an elevator than touching dishes in a restaurant.

Wear your mask.
Hand sanitizer is the soother.

If playing Plague inc. has taught me one thing it's that hygiene standards matter and that bacteria colonises surface areas. Aquarium hobbyists are well aware of this as BB (Beneficial Bacteria) exists on the surface area of the aquarium as well as within the porous filter media. 

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2021, 08:01:46 am »
If playing Plague inc. has taught me one thing it's that hygiene standards matter and that bacteria colonises surface areas. Aquarium hobbyists are well aware of this as BB (Beneficial Bacteria) exists on the surface area of the aquarium as well as within the porous filter media. 

That's true.

But this part of the thread has been about Covid prevention, and that is a virus.

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2021, 08:04:40 am »
I have to say I look forward to large outbreaks here, only time people care about germs. Maybe if they didn’t still teach kimchi as a cure all this wouldn’t be such an issue.
And yet, they aren't the ones with tens of thousands dead. That's "enlightened" Europe.

did you actually read thunderlips post? your response seems pretty disjointed. yeah, they arent the ones with tens of thousands dead, because during outbreaks they care about germs. which is why mister lips looks forwards to them. is there something i'm missing here?

• fka
  • Expert Waygook

• Seoul
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2021, 08:54:45 am »
I must've missed this thread.  To be fair, as covid was first becoming a thing back in 2020 here I took off to Florida for a couple of weeks. You keep referring to what people were claiming before that you disagreed with, but I can't recall people saying anything like Covid is going to rage through Korea while the West skates by unscathed.  Where is this infamous thread where these claims you keep referring to were made?  I'd like to catch up.

I'm curious about this too. I remember a thread a while back where someone complained about getting directly coughed on during a subway ride. The implication, as I read it, was "Some people lack the basic courtesy to put a barrier between themselves and others while coughing or sneezing. This makes me anxious about getting sick." I'm pretty sure that's how most people interpreted it.

Martino read it differently, of course. He assumed that the OP meant "Coughing into your hand is the most effective method of preventing pathogen transmission - possibly the only method". Then he went on an elaborate mission to debunk this imagined claim, and is still congratulating himself for having done so.

• fka
  • Expert Waygook

• Seoul
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2021, 08:56:59 am »
Actually, in fairness, I didn't check this site for a long time around February - April of 2020, so it's possible that I missed something, too.

« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2021, 10:58:12 am »
did you actually read thunderlips post? your response seems pretty disjointed. yeah, they arent the ones with tens of thousands dead, because during outbreaks they care about germs. which is why mister lips looks forwards to them. is there something i'm missing here?
But thunderlips' point is just hollow reasoning. While SOME increase in awareness took place, it should not have been enough to prevent rapid spread IF everything people here claim is true about how awful Korean hygeine is spread and how things like covering your mouth are crucial.

The most obvious explanation is this- That Korean hygeine practices or lack thereof DON'T have as big an impact as claimed, and/or western measures are more window-dressing than anything else.

Koreans didnt stop sharing meals hocking loogies or follow the guidelines the best, so it can't be "they followed really well"

So all things considered, what was the primary factor? Willingness to accept track and trace.

• leaponover
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 12:08:16 pm
    • Iksan, S. Korea
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2021, 12:44:12 pm »
Would you wash your hands in a urinal if you knew for a fact that you weren't going to get sick?

The poll question was whether you think things like spitting and not cleaning a bathroom properly are a problem and a problem isn't necessarily limited to the spread of bacteria or viruses.
I do happen to think a lack of hygiene is cause for concern when it comes to preventing the spread of viruses and bacteria, but I also have an issue with these things being purely disgusting.

There are times that I'm willing to suspend some of my hygiene standards (sports field, camping etc.), but for daily life, use a damn tissue or spit in a toilet bowl.

To put it frankly, people who spit in public, don't wash their hands after taking a dump or don't disinfect their bathroom at least once a week are dirty POS and I have a problem with their filth.

I hate the spitting in public.  I don't think it contributes to disease, illness or hygiene, it just personally disgusts me.  I also think never cleaning a bathroom is disgusting.  I'm not sure how necessary it is to disinfect weekly is.  Guess it depends on how much of a mess you are making.  Regular maintenance is okay.  I guess this thread is different than the "I got the flu because everyone is dirty" thread because in that one they are actually cleaning the bathrooms, they just aren't meeting your expectations in regards to it.