Read 4654 times

Re: POLL, South Korea's hygiene standards
« Reply #120 on: July 26, 2021, 04:34:21 pm »
You know perfectly well that I was talking about ethnic Koreans, not citizens of a country already subject to heavy travel and immigration restrictions. You also know that if, in response to tensions with North Korea, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez announced to a roaring crowd of Latinos that she was proposing a ban entry to all people from Confucian-influenced cultures, you would not be slamming her critics for not understanding business negotiation tactics.

So the question is, did you think that misrepresenting my point was actually going to serve your cause, or was it just a reflex?
I could easily see Donald Trump bumbling and saying he would ban "All Koreans" and have the media start a circus in which they claim he meant to ban all Koreans, North and South, and Trump waffling on it, maybe talking about "They need to pay their fair share or be banned" and I wouldn't give a flying F. Immigration is a privilege, not a right.

Did a bunch of radical Confucianists destabilize a bunch of countries using armed terrorism and topple the World Trade Center? Are those countries, which happen to be Confucian, also completely trashed in terms of record keeping and identification? Would certainly affect how I saw things.

« Reply #121 on: July 27, 2021, 07:14:54 am »
So the question is, did you think that misrepresenting my point was actually going to serve your cause, or was it just a reflex?

Itís deep English culture; unlikely they know why they are doing it.

The current bickering culture evolved over thousands of years; democratic debate, presenting premises, using logical fallacies, attempting to persuade, etc. If the culture values intellectual disputation, then it is motivated to apply  logical fallacies (even thought it says these are bad) in order to create arguments so that it can infinitely dispute. I occasionally check in, and see that itís been going on for 10 years here and on Daveís.

Koreans donít do this because they have a different philosophical lineage which didnít create this specific argument-style, and because they value other things (like positive relations, which argument destroys). I always wonder if these serial arguers have ever considered adapting to the local culture and just forgetting about pointless argument? But itís kinda an addiction for people, I guess.

• fka
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #122 on: July 27, 2021, 07:45:41 am »
Did a bunch of radical Confucianists destabilize a bunch of countries using armed terrorism and topple the World Trade Center? Are those countries, which happen to be Confucian, also completely trashed in terms of record keeping and identification? Would certainly affect how I saw things.

Dude, here are your own quotes from this very thread, in which you've spent a significant amount of time calling out everyone else for their lack of consistency.

Yes, you can focus on a specific practice, but if you also don't look comprehensively at everything, then one has to wonder why you're focusing on a specific issue and not any others.

I would tend to defer to blaming the individual if something isn't in +80% practice. Even if you see it as "widespread" that can be very subjective and I don't think it's widespread enough to blame "Koreans" vs. individuals.

What you don't recognize is that when you focus only on one single group and don't commit to the problem as a whole, people will assume, quite justifiably, that really your target is that group and not "public cleanliness and health" or whatever claim the person made.

But it does if they are focusing on something at the exclusion of something else or not properly balancing risk. "I'm concerned about Islamic Terrorism" is a point, but it's also fair to point out that you have a far greater likelihood of dying in a car accident than being beheaded by some Jihadi and that maybe people are doing a poor job of assessing risk and threat.

« Reply #123 on: July 27, 2021, 11:10:36 am »
Dude, here are your own quotes from this very thread, in which you've spent a significant amount of time calling out everyone else for their lack of consistency.
Yes, I am not consistent in the standards I apply with judging people on things like spitting or hand-shaking vs. immigration policy in relation to global ideological terror that over the course of declared has killed tens of thousands and destabilized countries across the world, with America as a prime target.

You got me. That's a totally on-base and relevant analogy and hypothetical. As opposed to my off-base, irrelevant analogy/hypothetical of comparing pet defecation on the street to spitting on the street or hand-shaking to eating from the same bowl in the spread of disease.

Thank goodness posters like gogators! and Adel call me out on this nonsense while everyone else refrains from wild analogies and hypotheticals. They're seeing things clearly.

• fka
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #124 on: July 27, 2021, 03:20:43 pm »
Hey, I just found one of those angry ESL teacher blogs where a lot of the really weird anti-Korean stuff used to turn up.

https://desperatekorea.blogspot.com/

I haven't read all of it but from what I can gather it's a British couple who took separate but nearby EPIK jobs in Jeollabuk-do in 2010.

Some choice quotes:

Asiana is a shitty Korean airline and there were about 3 other white people on the whole plane.

In November, we had a fun time at the Hanok village in Jeonju, where I hijacked Greg and the Buan Office of Education's bonding trip to this traditional Korean village. We made lots of 'delicious Korean food'.yeah, it was gross, remember we don't like Korean food. Sadly, our happiest memories here have involved scrambling around random areas and finding gold dust like mcdonalds and outback,

The [Singapore] MRT system is a million times better than the joke that is Seoul Metro.  It's actually possible to transfer from one line to another without walking for about 3 hours through a never-ending underground shopping mall/station.  What's more, ever MRT platform has escalators.  Not once did I have to struggle up stairs with my suitcase.  Korea could learn a lot from Singaporean public transport.

In Korea there's nothing to do.  There's hardly any historic sights to visit because the Japanese burned them all down and the reconstructions that the Koreans have built are sterile, boring and aimed squarely at the Korean audience.  Plus everything looks the same.  In Singapore there's great shopping malls (that sell clothes that fit real people and that don't look like they've been stolen from the 1970's),

For Korean-food hating freaks like us, there is a dark wilderness in Korea, called the supermarket. We can NEVER find food that we like, and often end up living on bread and jam in the week and gorging on expensive Western food at the weekends... The one concession to our misery is Homeplus.

This weekend was our anniversary weekend... Our trauma started on Friday night when we visited the newly-opened Johnny Rockets diner in Gangnam.  Despite the signs saying the diner was open until 10pm, the bastard at the door turned us away at 9pm so we had to go to our old friend McDonalds instead (again).
Today we went to Lotte World.  Lotte(pronounced low-tay - yeah, I know!)

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #125 on: July 27, 2021, 03:35:00 pm »
Yes, I am not consistent in the standards I apply with judging people.

A signature quote just waiting to be used.

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #126 on: July 27, 2021, 04:10:00 pm »
Hey, I just found one of those angry ESL teacher blogs where a lot of the really weird anti-Korean stuff used to turn up.

I haven't read all of it but from what I can gather it's a British couple who took separate but nearby EPIK jobs in Jeollabuk-do in 2010.

Some choice quotes:

Yeah, a pair of unhappy people, feeding off each other, magnifying every difficulty, finding fault at every opportunity.  I hope they've found someplace to be happy. 

The Singapore metro comment struck me, so I looked up my comments about it on my blog:  https://seoulpatch.blogspot.com/2014/03/singapore-street-scenes_28.html

It is excellent, but I also think Seoul's metro is excellent.

• Renma
  • Veteran

• September 01, 2014, 06:09:42 am
« Reply #127 on: July 28, 2021, 09:22:15 am »

Damn, what a hateful pair of people. They look exactly how I expected them to when I opened the blog as well, haha.