Read 1710 times

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
Re: What happened to rental deposits in Seoul?
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2021, 05:58:00 am »
It's just as easy to marry a rich woman as it is to marry a poor one.
Disagree. Women want men who earn more than they do. Studies have shown this universally across cultures.

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2021, 07:33:58 am »
It's just as easy to marry a rich woman as it is to marry a poor one. Shine your shoes and press your trousers.

A rich woman marrying a man who earns less is rare.  Facts count. 

• SPQR
  • Expert Waygook

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Sierra Leone
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2021, 08:18:45 am »

Most Korean women don't want to marry a foreigner.  A lot still believe
the Korean bloodline is a wonderful and sacred thing to be protected.

For the heretics, probably less than 10%, most of those want to marry
professionals.  A lot also want to marry US soldiers. English teachers
would rank somewhere below that. Probably just above south east Asians.

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2021, 08:24:54 am »

maybe in the past. but now is the age of the #girlboss. i mean hey, as long as you dont mind being a house husband!

• pkjh
  • The Legend

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
    • Asia
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2021, 08:55:25 am »
It' s mostly a class thing. Most women won't marry down a class. Men marry down all the time. During the beginning of the industrial revolution poor aristocrats tried to marry their sons to daughters of rich merchants/industrialists.

Anyways, being in the same 'class' usually means the man tends to earn more.

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2021, 12:13:26 pm »
maybe in the past. but now is the age of the #girlboss. i mean hey, as long as you dont mind being a house husband!

I could handle it.  Do the housewife thing of "It's wine o'clock somewhere"  when the laundry is in the dryer.  But, overall, ambitious successful women want that in their mate.  Sad fact.  It doesn't happen that often.  Better odds of finding a wealthy women who is older that doesn't need to prove anything or start a family who is looking for compatibility.  They're more likely to overlook the guy's lack of financial resources. 

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2021, 01:28:55 pm »
Most Korean women don't want to marry a foreigner.  A lot still believe
the Korean bloodline is a wonderful and sacred thing to be protected.

For the heretics, probably less than 10%, most of those want to marry
professionals.  A lot also want to marry US soldiers. English teachers
would rank somewhere below that. Probably just above south east Asians.

Unless you turn her attraction crank.  (Whatever the phrase means.)  In rare cases, a woman will be attracted to a man and not care if he's rich or poor this class or that class.  But for many, the above will be true. 

I think on one of the expat groups, a foreigner working in IT here said he could get one of those low interest housing loans just like a Korean.  But English teachers nope.  If you are a banker, a lawyer, IT person, etc, you are a real foreigner in the Koreans eyes.  I believe the IT guy even said all foreigners working for Korean companies just got a signifigant cost of living increase.  (Of course not English teachers.)  Once I even saw a K Drama that had a "white foreigner".  The Korean woman character dated him a long time ago and met him briefly in the show.  But in the end, she did the "right thing" and married a Korean.  Of course he wasn't an English teacher but a banker or lawyer or something like that.  English teachers are not respected that much.  So, for a woman to marry one, you'd have to be really confident, not give a shit, be on a path to success, or be willing to take her back to your own country.  A decent looking foreign guy with the right edge can still cut through this.  Nothing is impossible.  But the deck is more and more stacked against us.  I remember in 2007 or 2008 meeting a girl from this country town who obsessed over my income and swore up and down that 2.1 million was a good salary (of course it was back then).  But total gold digger bean paste yawja.  Put her to the curb no matter how pretty she was.  (Of course 1.5 million won a month was the bare minimum in the countryside a woman would consider to marry a guy back then.)  Anyways, we no longer have the money or income angle to attract K chicks if hot gold diggers are your thing.  Ha ha.  If you put out a right vidbe with the right look that will overcome all of that for some K chicks but not for all and much less than with western women.  (Though crazy woke chicks might be harder to get through unless you push their buttons so bad with a don't give a shit attitude you turn some of them on for a time cause you're not kissing their ass every second of every day.  Still long term, they are too toxic and poisonous to be with.  IE  "I like Trump.  Deal with it or get lost.") 

• Renma
  • Veteran

• September 01, 2014, 06:09:42 am
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2021, 02:39:01 pm »
Unless you turn her attraction crank.

English teachers are not respected that much.  So, for a woman to marry one, you'd have to be really confident, not give a shit, be on a path to success, or be willing to take her back to your own country.  A decent looking foreign guy with the right edge can still cut through this.  Nothing is impossible.  But the deck is more and more stacked against us.  I remember in 2007 or 2008 meeting a girl from this country town who obsessed over my income and swore up and down that 2.1 million was a good salary (of course it was back then).  But total gold digger bean paste yawja.  Put her to the curb no matter how pretty she was.  (Of course 1.5 million won a month was the bare minimum in the countryside a woman would consider to marry a guy back then.)  Anyways, we no longer have the money or income angle to attract K chicks if hot gold diggers are your thing.  Ha ha.  If you put out a right vidbe with the right look that will overcome all of that for some K chicks but not for all and much less than with western women.  (Though crazy woke chicks might be harder to get through unless you push their buttons so bad with a don't give a shit attitude you turn some of them on for a time cause you're not kissing their ass every second of every day.  Still long term, they are too toxic and poisonous to be with.  IE  "I like Trump.  Deal with it or get lost.") 

When hangook77 comes to Korean rural towns

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFENSSlLAtY

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2021, 01:32:22 am »
Disagree. Women want men who earn more than they do. Studies have shown this universally across cultures.
Aim low and that's where you'll wind up.

Always with the negative waves.

« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2021, 03:59:05 pm »
Aim low and that's where you'll wind up.

Always with the negative waves.

I would say men also feel the need to make more than their wives/girlfriends or they could feel inadequate and take that frustration out in various ways.....of course not every woman or man feels that way about money/status

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2021, 07:47:10 am »
I would say men also feel the need to make more than their wives/girlfriends or they could feel inadequate and take that frustration out in various ways.....of course not every woman or man feels that way about money/status

Not inadequate, but most chicks still want a man to make the bucks.  Our parents and grandparents generation went out to work and make a middle class wage.  They could raise a family and build a house.  Today not so much.  Those jobs got outsourced and everyone is forced to move to overpriced cities.  Younger guys I know who did the same thing.  Just went out to work but earned much less pay got screwed.  Nice guys who had their wives or girlfriends leave because they weren't bringing home the bacon so to speak.  In the past those jobs paid enough and they stayed married.  Well, some boomers did get divorced I guess.  The boomers started getting the outsourced shaft when many were in their 50's and somewhat close to retirement.  But their homes were paid off.  Their wives were too old to leave then.  But if it happened to them when they were 28, a lot of them would have been in trouble too. 

The current economy doesn't favor people.  If you're lucky enough to be born with the natural talent to see code and program computers, you get the perks thrown at you.  Otherwise, get treated like an underpaid second class citizen.  Or go to where the money is when possible.  Given how shitty the Korean economy is for many young Koreans, a foreigner making 3 million and a woman with a half decent job may look more attractive.  But, even so, I knew many F Visa guys who struggled nowadays.  Move to Seoul for more F work, but also pay through the teeth for rent or mortgage.  Cancels each other out?  Not sure if it's worth it anymore.  If you got the F visa in 2005 or 2007, it was a game changer. 

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2021, 07:47:58 am »
When hangook77 comes to Korean rural towns

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFENSSlLAtY

You looking to marry a grandma?

• D.L.Orean
  • Super Waygook

• February 25, 2020, 09:34:41 am
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2021, 08:33:43 am »
Not inadequate, but most chicks still want a man to make the bucks.  Our parents and grandparents generation went out to work and make a middle class wage.  They could raise a family and build a house.  Today not so much.  Those jobs got outsourced and everyone is forced to move to overpriced cities.  Younger guys I know who did the same thing.  Just went out to work but earned much less pay got screwed.  Nice guys who had their wives or girlfriends leave because they weren't bringing home the bacon so to speak.  In the past those jobs paid enough and they stayed married.  Well, some boomers did get divorced I guess.  The boomers started getting the outsourced shaft when many were in their 50's and somewhat close to retirement.  But their homes were paid off.  Their wives were too old to leave then.  But if it happened to them when they were 28, a lot of them would have been in trouble too. 

SOME boomers got divorced, you guess?

https://psmag.com/ideas/what-we-can-learn-from-the-dramatic-dip-in-divorce-among-millennials

"The Baby Boom generation has had the highest divorce rate in recorded American history."

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2021, 09:26:15 am »
I'd guess that the general trend to get married later in life is behind the dip in divorces.
A lot of the major relationship hurdles tend to happen when people are a bit younger and haven't yet solidified their careers, living situations, or even their hobbies and personalities.
Chances are that that guy/girl you married straight out of highschool isn't going to be much like that same person when they're 30.  :undecided:

• D.L.Orean
  • Super Waygook

• February 25, 2020, 09:34:41 am
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2021, 09:34:46 am »
I'd guess that the general trend to get married later in life is behind the dip in divorces.
A lot of the major relationship hurdles tend to happen when people are a bit younger and haven't yet solidified their careers, living situations, or even their hobbies and personalities.
Chances are that that guy/girl you married straight out of highschool isn't going to be much like that same person when they're 30.  :undecided:

Less marriages and occurring later in life leads to a lower divorce rate.

These claims are wrong

"some boomers did get divorced" and "The boomers started getting the outsourced shaft when many were in their 50's and somewhat close to retirement.  But their homes were paid off.  Their wives were too old to leave then."

Boomers divorce rates are higher than any other generation. And they are getting divorced even when older.

"In fact, the phenomenon has given birth to the phrase “gray divorce,” the end of a marriage between spouses who are age 50 and up."

https://stories.avvo.com/relationships/divorce/numbers-breakdown-divorce-generation.html

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2021, 09:39:52 am »
Right. I agree. It makes sense.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2021, 12:46:45 pm »
SOME boomers got divorced, you guess?

https://psmag.com/ideas/what-we-can-learn-from-the-dramatic-dip-in-divorce-among-millennials

"The Baby Boom generation has had the highest divorce rate in recorded American history."

What I am saying guys who got laid off and got unemployed or ended up taking a much lower paying service type job did not have their wives up and leave them in the same way some young guy mid to late 20's did cause he wasn't bringing home the bacon.  Boomers did get divorced a lot in other ways.  The free love of the 60's turned into the broken homes of their kids.  My own parents got divorced too. 

At any rate, it was around 20 years ago some boomers started getting hit.  They lost decent paying jobs and ended up in low paying service jobs in their 50's.  But their kids were raised and their homes were paid off.  So, it wasn't as bad for them though it did still suck.  But they did have work up until them.  Those who didn't get the shaft in 2000 or so got it in 2008 or 2009.  But they could limp onto retirement soon.  The younger generations IE - us - have a much tougher time.  (Trump was the only one who talked about it.  No one else seemed to care.)