• Uiwang
Re: Nationalism in children
« Reply #100 on: June 07, 2021, 11:54:26 am »
Pringles Ketchup Chips?

Wot? hahahaha Lays or GTFO

« Reply #101 on: June 07, 2021, 12:03:17 pm »
Many years ago, end of school year, grade 12 boys:

Q: If you were rich and could travel anywhere in the world and visit while living in the very best hotels and resorts, where would you go?

A: Seoul

Q: If you were rich and could afford any car made, what would you buy?

A: Opirus

'nuff said
Did you ask their reasons?
Join the DeMart Fan Club!
Shout out to WhenInRome... the first member. Thank you my son!

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #102 on: June 07, 2021, 12:13:03 pm »
Did you ask their reasons?

I did, and to make it succinct,

"If it ain't Korean, it's crap."

I also asked them who their hero was. Any person they admired for whatever reason. Every one of them, without exception, said Admiral Yi Sun Shin (sp.) That was a bigger surprise than the travel/car thing.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #103 on: June 07, 2021, 12:23:22 pm »
Wot? hahahaha Lays or GTFO

Damn I miss ketchup chips. 

« Reply #104 on: June 07, 2021, 01:36:07 pm »
I did, and to make it succinct,

"If it ain't Korean, it's crap."

I also asked them who their hero was. Any person they admired for whatever reason. Every one of them, without exception, said Admiral Yi Sun Shin (sp.) That was a bigger surprise than the travel/car thing.

Was there a single dominant male student in the class who always spoke for everyone?

I'm getting the whiff of exaggeration on this. The car maybe...just out of laziness and relative lack of interest in cars at that age. The Seoul answer doesn't jive with my experience. I'd be hesitant to take that one incident and use it as a typical response and it exemplifying anything, lest you fall into a similar trap of ignorance and stereotype.

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #105 on: June 07, 2021, 02:01:50 pm »
Was there a single dominant male student in the class who always spoke for everyone?

I'm getting the whiff of exaggeration on this. The car maybe...just out of laziness and relative lack of interest in cars at that age. The Seoul answer doesn't jive with my experience. I'd be hesitant to take that one incident and use it as a typical response and it exemplifying anything, lest you fall into a similar trap of ignorance and stereotype.

Your desperation to have his anecdote not be accurate is both obvious and perplexing.  It happens less now, but if you've been here for any length of time and had an older class it's a pretty common occurrence.  Their knee jerk reaction is often to give answers like that out of a  sense of national duty. Happens more often than not in my experience. 

It's okay DMart, it doesn't reflect badly on Korea.  Just accept it happened and stop desperately searching for some alternate rationale behind their answers.  You'll be ok.  It's not important. 

« Reply #106 on: June 07, 2021, 02:14:22 pm »
Your desperation to have his anecdote not be accurate is both obvious and perplexing.  It happens less now, but if you've been here for any length of time and had an older class it's a pretty common occurrence.  Their knee jerk reaction is often to give answers like that out of a  sense of national duty. Happens more often than not in my experience. 

It's okay DMart, it doesn't reflect badly on Korea.  Just accept it happened and stop desperately searching for some alternate rationale behind their answers.  You'll be ok.  It's not important. 
I've seen this too, and almost always it reflects internal classroom dynamics rather than actual beliefs. Usually the cool kid says something or someone gives a quick answer and the students all give the same one because they don't really care and just want to give an answer and move on. The teacher of course takes this to have deep significance on their attitudes and the view of the locals. Never mind that 75% of them probably didn't pay attention to the question to begin with.

Because these answers are usually not typical when you talk to students about the same thing one-on-one or in small groups OR in classrooms where the students are engaged and comfortable speaking and expressing themselves.

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NE Hemisphere
« Reply #107 on: June 07, 2021, 02:48:18 pm »
It was in 2006 at a small rural technical boys high school. The brightest ones were destined to be the supervisor of floor sweepers and janitors in some sweatshop factory somewhere.

That doesn't excuse the lack of imagination and dreams, however. I would have expected much more from countryside kids.

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NE Hemisphere
« Reply #108 on: June 07, 2021, 04:04:47 pm »
Damn I miss ketchup chips. 

Bought a box of these at the local grocery store the other day. It is amazing the Canuck products you can get here.

« Reply #109 on: June 07, 2021, 11:24:14 pm »
I love us Canadians!  (sorry about the patriotism/nationalism)! 

We will attack our National Health Care together and love our Lays Ketchup Chips together (although my sis swears by President's Choice "Loads of Ketchup").

We should be proud of our country!  It's a good one~ No shame in that my fellow Canadians!!

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #110 on: June 09, 2021, 02:20:45 pm »
I have a pretty awesome, if I say so myself, Powerpoint going through the top 10 most popular sports in the world.

I remember other mentions of having good PowerPoints.

How about putting some online? 

It will make the world a better place.

• AvecPommesFrites
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2017, 02:19:33 pm
    • Incheon International Airport Immigration Office Detention Facility
« Reply #111 on: June 09, 2021, 02:29:33 pm »
I remember other mentions of having good PowerPoints.

How about putting some online? 

It will make the world a better place.

Pecan and DeMartino sentiment here. The best in the business but not a single lesson plan on the internet for others to bow down to. Shame.
Soggy undergarments

« Reply #112 on: June 09, 2021, 02:41:13 pm »
Pecan and DeMartino sentiment here. The best in the business but not a single lesson plan on the internet for others to bow down to. Shame.
Maybe I should troll with some PPTs like Debate- America: Greatest Country on Earth or Greatest Country Ever?

Or a Video Game Lesson: Just a single slide of
"No X-Man! No Pokeyman!
Do Your Homework!"

Or a WWII Bomb Game template complete with b&w cutout of Hitler screaming if you get a question wrong.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 02:43:11 pm by Mr.DeMartino »

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #113 on: June 09, 2021, 03:05:33 pm »
Maybe I should troll with some PPTs like Debate- America: Greatest Country on Earth or Greatest Country Ever?

Or a Video Game Lesson: Just a single slide of
"No X-Man! No Pokeyman!
Do Your Homework!"

Or a WWII Bomb Game template complete with b&w cutout of Hitler screaming if you get a question wrong.

hahhaahahahahhahhaa

« Reply #114 on: June 09, 2021, 05:01:24 pm »
Many years ago, end of school year, grade 12 boys:

Q: If you were rich and could travel anywhere in the world and visit while living in the very best hotels and resorts, where would you go?

A: Seoul

Q: If you were rich and could afford any car made, what would you buy?

A: Opirus

'nuff said

Had this happen all the time when I taught at EPIK schools.

"What are your hobbies?"
"I like to travel."
"Where do you want to travel?"
"Seoul."

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #115 on: June 10, 2021, 12:02:38 am »
I was asked on local TV in Grade 1 if I believed in God and I said I believed in Smurfs. (22 years later I still got blowback ribbing about that)

Children believe in a ton of things. Teenagers, now, they are more complex given their less honest, more rebellious nature.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Cairo, Egypt (formerly Seoul)
« Reply #116 on: June 10, 2021, 12:32:41 am »
I was asked on local TV in Grade 1 if I believed in God and I said I believed in Smurfs…

“…so don’t take my word for anything!”

😂

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #117 on: June 10, 2021, 07:15:26 am »
I still got blowback ribbing about that
excuse me?
more gg more skill

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #118 on: June 10, 2021, 07:43:12 am »
I was asked on local TV in Grade 1 if I believed in God and I said I believed in Smurfs.

That was a dream.

« Reply #119 on: June 10, 2021, 10:22:17 am »
That was a dream.

But only a 50/50.

Mr C, How are you feeling after your COVID shot? Any side effects?

Regarding nationalism in children, I never see it any more. I can't remember the last time any of my students, from elementary school level to adults, said anything about Korea and Korean things being the best, in a nationalistic way. No one even puts the boot in to Japan. Things have certainly changed in my neck of the woods compared to even 15 years ago. Geez, it was annoying. Had to bite my tongue so often.