Read 706 times

• tamahari
  • Adventurer

• September 07, 2016, 08:35:35 pm
    • Seoul. South Korea
Language Exchange
« on: June 01, 2021, 04:43:30 pm »
Hey, does anyone know of an in-person Korean-English language exchange (or even anyone who is a good language partner--actually shares the time for the other person's target language without a fight--and is looking for a partner?) I guess I know there are a couple in Hongdae, according to Meetup but I live in Yangjae and that's awfully far. I'm also not a fan of the Meetup ones that always seem to have cover charges/minimum purchases.

I just want to be able to practice Korean without having to attempt to interact with people over Zoom (that's gotten soooo old) and without having to spend just as long getting there as being there. Honestly, anywhere south of the river or even in Seongnam, I'm willing to travel a bit.

Re: Language Exchange
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2021, 05:28:55 pm »
Say it before and I'll say it, again.

At this time you should start learning Chinese.

The way the ESL market and F-visa plus wages have going, the time investment to cash reward of KIP and learning Korean language is simply not tenable.

Alot of problems with China, but at least they respect English language educators.

https://www.duolingo.com/course/zh/en/Learn-Chinese

https://www.eslcafe.com/jobs/china

• tamahari
  • Adventurer

• Seoul. South Korea
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2021, 05:47:55 pm »
I already know how to speak Chinese and I'm married to a Korean man, so we're staying in Korea. Thanks.

Why do people post so many unhelpful, irrelevant replies here?

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2021, 08:06:40 am »
Just make sure you memorize the vocabulary words before meeting with the Korean.  Otherwise, just repeating the expressions with them for an hour means you'll forget it by the next day. 

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2021, 08:44:42 am »
I agree the meetup ones aren't great :/ there's a high focus on partying and a lot of the marketing for Koreans is "date foreigners" which is weird as hell. I really liked one in Itaewon but it's been suspended throughout the pandemic.
Have you tried Bumble? I know that sounds weird but there's a BFF function where you can meet mainly women only. I recently used this just to socialize and TBH it's a lot of foreigners, but I made a great Korean friend and she's shy to speak English so we meet every Friday and just chat and grab a drink. I don't want a totally academic setting personally, I just want to work on my speaking so this is really good for me. I also met a friend on HelloTalk, but I refused to talk to men there LOL they treat it like a dating app. You have to specify your location and specify you're looking for people to spend time with IRL to find the right matches.
Also I've heard iTalki is great for finding on and offline tutors but this is obviously a paid service.
Good luck!

• tamahari
  • Adventurer

• Seoul. South Korea
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2021, 04:59:30 pm »
I just downloaded HelloTalk. Yeah, I am always wary of guys on these apps, because even after gettiing married I have had some sketchy run-ins. How do you specify on the app that you're looking for people who want to meet in real life?

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2021, 08:07:11 am »
How do you specify on the app that you're looking for people who want to meet in real life?
I haven't used that one in awhile but I think there's a profile section? You can specify the general area you're in and say you're looking for IRL language exchange only. And I see a lot of people post like NO DATING, ONLY WOMEN and bombing emojis haha generally if a guy messaged me I just ignored it. I know Tandem is another app like this that lets you select your preferences, and Bumble also does. Bumble is nice because both parties have to match first before they can message each other.