Read 1289 times

As I wrote here. Iíve worked for the same public school in Seoul for three years and as permitted by EPIK, I am eligible to transfer after three years.
Last summer I moved into an apartment in another district in hopes to enjoy my life more and live more centrally, and I did this hoping I could transfer. Although my open class went well, my principal has said she had ďissuesĒ with another NET in the past and refuses to sign off on my renewal if I choose to leave, because she likes me and I teach well.
I called the coordinator at SMOE and heís also shocked. Asked if I could obtain any proof like a written statement and heís going to think on it. Ultimately he said the coteacher shouldnít have mentioned it to high-ups before the open class, etc. I donít know what transpired honestly.
I will also note this isnít the first inappropriate thing my principal has done.
What can I do about this? Since I moved I commute one hour and she also knows this. I explained to my co itís nothing personal, but Iím at my wits end with this woman.

Yes this has been an issue. It sounds like your principal likes you so Iíd keep trying to explain why you want to change schools. Tell her you arenít able to renew so they will lose you either way, obviously this is a bit of a gamble. Also consider stuffing an envelope with cash to her as a gift. Maybe 500,000 ought to do it.

Worst case file a petition on the epeople website complaining about the issue. 

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
Sounds pretty dirty.  If they want to play games, then their loss.  Plenty of jobs.  Go work elsewhere.  I'll probably get trolled for it (not sure why so much hostility here), but go do a public school in China, more pay and less deskwarming time.  Besides Seoul is anal when it comes to reading the rules line by line and they pay less anyways.  Either way, good luck whatever you decide.  But don't be blackmailed. 

ze=" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">https://www.eslcafe.com/jobs/china?koreasearch=&koreapageno=&koreapagesize=&chinasearch=&chinapageno=1&chinapagesize=60&internationalsearch=&internationalpageno=&internationalpagesi ze=

20,000 Chinese Yuan equals 3,503,582.02 South Korean won.
25,000 Chinese Yuan equals 4,379,477.52 South Korean won.
30,000 Chinese Yuan equals 5,255,373.03 South Korean won.

OP, try to secretly record your principal saying that. It's legal to secretly record someone as long as you're part of that conversation.

She's trying to tie you down where you are and holding your renewal over your head in order to make that happen, and she can just **** right off with that. If she wants to play dirty, throw her a curve ball. She's arrogant as ****, use that against her, and document everything. Start a paper trail, and keep your coordinator updated on what's going on.

And if the non-renewal goes through anyway, just leave. I would never stick around to work for someone like her. Start networking now so that you'll have some options waiting for you once it comes time.

• DocH
  • Veteran

• March 01, 2021, 11:25:39 am
    • pub
OP, try to secretly record your principal saying that. It's legal to secretly record someone as long as you're part of that conversation.

She's trying to tie you down where you are and holding your renewal over your head in order to make that happen, and she can just **** right off with that. If she wants to play dirty, throw her a curve ball. She's arrogant as ****, use that against her, and document everything. Start a paper trail, and keep your coordinator updated on what's going on.

And if the non-renewal goes through anyway, just leave. I would never stick around to work for someone like her. Start networking now so that you'll have some options waiting for you once it comes time.

Take the b**ch to the cleaners. 

Hey all I thought I'd update here.
It turns out that my COT said this was only her ~prediction~ when she told me this. (And before you ask, no I don't believe this was a communication mishap, I think she was dodging responsibilities). The moral here I suppose it to really be firm and direct. My principal did try to tell me to stay for a hot second before conceding I should be able to apply. My COT was "shocked at how kind the P was about the process." lol.
Anyway has anyone transferred within SMOE? I've heard nothing back from the higher ups and I'm not sure of the timeline for all of this.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
Hey all I thought I'd update here.
It turns out that my COT said this was only her ~prediction~ when she told me this. (And before you ask, no I don't believe this was a communication mishap, I think she was dodging responsibilities). The moral here I suppose it to really be firm and direct. My principal did try to tell me to stay for a hot second before conceding I should be able to apply. My COT was "shocked at how kind the P was about the process." lol.
Anyway has anyone transferred within SMOE? I've heard nothing back from the higher ups and I'm not sure of the timeline for all of this.

Ask the top city education office officials.  Isn't there a supervisor or cordinator or something?  Out in the provinces they some folks ask to transfer from one town to another.