Read 559 times

Former EPIK teacher with F6 - what to do now?
« on: May 25, 2021, 02:34:36 pm »
Hello, all!  I'm wondering if some of you may have a piece of advice for me from your experiences.  I first came to Korea on the EPIK program, taught for a couple of years, and then I got married and quit teaching to start a family.  Nowadays the kiddo is (mostly) independent and goes to elementary school.  I have been considering going back to work full time, but I'm not quite sure which avenue to take.  Should I try to resign with EPIK with the whole rigamarole and cross my fingers that I get some good co-teachers?  Or should I strike out on my own on the F6 and find some students myself?  Both have their pros and cons, of course.  What have you all done in your situations? 

• buckybee
  • Veteran

• August 30, 2015, 02:36:08 pm
    • Daejeon
Re: Former EPIK teacher with F6 - what to do now?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2021, 07:57:04 am »
I think that depends on what type of teacher you are. It also depends on where you live. If your very hands on and like to know your students hearts and minds deeply, than you should go for tutoring. If you prefer making materials and following a curriculum, then Epik should be fine. But there are some things to think about: Does your city have a competitive tutoring atmosphere? Is it a small city where you might have 2-3 schools with Epik? Do you need to have a flexible schedule for your children? Which will help you transition into future goals?

Re: Former EPIK teacher with F6 - what to do now?
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 09:09:35 am »
I have done both, though admittedly most with the public schools. It really depends on what you want. Independent contracting can be lucrative, but with little to no benefits. Public schools aren't going to get you rich, but with the paid vacation, nps/nhis, severance and schedule (9-5) they could be a good fit.

If I come back to Korea I will probably do the IC route because I'm sick of the bs in public schools, not to say there isn't bs in hagwons though!!!

Good luck!