Read 14764 times

• Adel
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 30, 2015, 12:50:26 am
    • The Abyss
    more
Re: Why I still maintain the Wuhan lab was the origin of the virus
« Reply #440 on: November 05, 2021, 05:52:57 am »
Smaller fish have less mercury. Try sardines or salmon. Also dark tuna has less mercury than albacore and is cheaper to boot. And how about the other white meat--pork? Or lamb?

For many years I ate a can of dark tuna and a piece of fruit for lunch. I wonder how much mercury I ingested during that time. Good thing I was on a public school teacher's salary and couldn't spring for albacore.
I do eat a far bit of lamb it's just not the kind of thing I'd have on sandwiches at lunch. The type of meat that I would mostly like have for lunch would be the processed kind. Never been much of fan of sardines or salmon from a can, I don't mind it smoked and processed though.
Anywho, the weather is starting to pick up and and reports are garfish are starting to bite again locally, at some stage over next week I envisage launching my runabout and catching a decent feed of herring and garfish.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 06:20:44 am by Adel »

« Reply #441 on: November 05, 2021, 09:02:12 am »

Now that's a big garfish! The ones I used to catch were half as long and twice as skinny, and rare to boot.

Lucky you having a runabout. One of the few things I really do miss. We had a Lancercraft 15' inflatable with a 15 HP Johnson outboard. It packed down into 2 big siutcases...one for the floor panels. It all stacked nicely on the 'Holden Kingswood Station Wagon's roofrack (yes the golden Holden  ;D)

As much as I detest the taste of fish, fishing itself is a great hobby. Having a runabout gets you out to places where the fishing is good. I still do a little beach fishing now and then, but my enthusiasm has deminished.

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #442 on: November 05, 2021, 09:11:01 am »
I still do a little beach fishing now and then, but my enthusiasm has deminished.

I haven't been fishing in a long while, not since when I lived in the states. Used to be some good places around North Carolina, but a lot of them have dried up by now... maybe I'll have to tag along with my father on one of his Alaska trips sometime.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 09:48:11 am by 745sticky »

« Reply #443 on: November 05, 2021, 09:24:57 am »
... maybe I'll have to tag along with my father on one of his Alaska trips sometime.

For some strange reason, I've been looking at photos from around Alaska recently. Totally random, and I have no real idea why. Must of been something I read about or watched. What an amazing wilderness! And yes, I bet both the fresh and salt water fishing is fantastic. It would be a good trip!

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #444 on: November 05, 2021, 04:36:51 pm »
We had to shoot at three brown bears just to get out of a valley in the Yukon. I can't imagine how aggressive Alaskan bears could be.

Again, brown bears of various kinds.

A black bear is harmless unless spooked close quarters or if cubs are to be defended. Tons of black bear encounters in Canada end wrong. They want the sweet fruit they smell in garbage. Black bears don't hunt. They individually are NOT a danger.

Cougars? Pumas? Mountain lions? ... No worry if you see them first and make a lot of noise. Several times we've encountered one and scared it off easily. The danger is in the unseen approach, one hunting you and you being unaware and unprepared.

No hunter with his bare hands is scared of a black bear or cougar, once faced. A brown bear? Dang that's a different matter.  "Kodiak", "grizzly"... tons of brown bears in Western Canada to fear. But when a black bear is shot, many of us howl at the ignorance.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 04:53:54 pm by VanIslander »

« Reply #445 on: November 05, 2021, 05:13:33 pm »
After watching the movie 'Into the Grizzly Maze', I wouldn't be seen near an area like the Yukon.

Aside from that, the whole place looks incredible. What's the fly fishing like?

I'm going to do some reading on the region, and up and around Alaska, this weekend (and listen to the new ABBA album). My interest has been sparked a little more.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #446 on: November 05, 2021, 06:36:49 pm »
Aside from that, the whole place looks incredible. What's the fly fishing like?
I had as much luck and skill fly fishing as i did in the open sea: zilch.

I loved using lures to catch lake trout and river salmon. Like pigs in a barrel some say though.