• Adel
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 30, 2015, 12:50:26 am
    • The Abyss
    more
Re: Why I still maintain the Wuhan lab was the origin of the virus
« Reply #280 on: October 05, 2021, 09:40:17 am »
Tone death... that sounds terrifying.
You use your ears to read? That's quite peculiar.

Ek sukkel nog steeds met idiomatiese uitdrukkings. Skaam emoji's kan dit nie regtig oplos nie. Miskien kan u die gebruik van 'toon' skriftelik google.

Better?

Still struggling with idiomatic expressions, I see. Shame emojis can't really solve that one.  Perhaps you could google the of use of 'tone in writing'.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 09:50:22 am by Adel »

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #281 on: October 05, 2021, 10:44:44 am »
Still peculiar, but now in Afrikaans ... which (to my tonedeaf eyes) is just compounding peculiarities.  :laugh:

• Adel
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• The Abyss
    more
« Reply #282 on: October 05, 2021, 10:49:15 am »
Still peculiar, but now in Afrikaans ... which (to my tonedeaf eyes) is just compounding peculiarities.  :laugh:

Does this help?  :angel:

https://deweyenglish16.weebly.com/uploads/1/2/8/4/12840242/recognizing_the_authors_tone__resource_.pdf

We teach our students about word choice and how it reflects the writer's tone but unfortunately emojis are inappropriate in academic discourse. :blank:
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 10:58:09 am by Adel »

« Reply #283 on: October 05, 2021, 11:20:07 am »
Not every South African is a native Afrikaans speaker, but 'jou taal is baie vreemd', definitely a Google translate.

Use the emojis or don't use them, your choice, I'm just telling you that when you
constantly use emojis in relatively serious discussion, many wont take your argument seriously.

I'm far from a great writer, but practicing how to read and express tone with nothing but words
is one of the few reasons that wasting time arguing on a forum can be somewhat productive.

• Adel
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• The Abyss
    more
« Reply #284 on: October 05, 2021, 11:25:42 am »
Not every South African is a native Afrikaans speaker, but 'jou taal is baie vreemd', definitely a Google translate.

Sorry, I used Afrikaans because I thought English might not have been your native tongue. Given how you appeared to be struggling as evidenced by the nature of your questions.

Use the emojis or don't use them, your choice, I'm just telling you that when you
constantly use emojis in relatively serious discussion, many wont take your argument seriously.

Yes, that would be the intention of taking a sarcastic tone by using emojis in a forum such as this where emojis are are available and arguably appropriate in the context of an online forum. Do you get it yet or do you require more elaboration on the use of 'tone deaf' in this context?   
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 11:50:19 am by Adel »

« Reply #285 on: October 05, 2021, 12:48:02 pm »
:undecided:No Marti, this another of your creations that not no-one has argued other than yourself in a way to avoid the embarrassment of one your idiotic statements on the previous page. Is there any wonder so many simply ignore you? I guess it's my fault for indulging you. Sorry Chump!  :-*
Then you'll agree that the differences in outcomes between Australia and New Zealand might well be due to things like random chance, geographic isolation, population distribution, genetics, climate, etc. and that to assume that it's "policy" is premature?
Join the DeMart Fan Club!
Shout out to WhenInRome... the first member. Thank you my son!

• Adel
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• The Abyss
    more
« Reply #286 on: October 05, 2021, 01:17:35 pm »
Then you'll agree that the differences in outcomes between Australia and New Zealand might well be due to things like random chance, geographic isolation, population distribution, genetics, climate, etc. and that to assume that it's "policy" is premature?

No, Marti you don't get it. You're treating Australia as a homogenous entity. In relation to the way Covid 19 outbreak has been managed this simply isn't the case because of the nature of Federalism within the Australian context. There has been a good deal of variation in Covid outcomes within each Australian state without even getting into a comparison with New Zealand. A lot the differences in outcome can be attributed to each state's handling of quarantine protocols, management of state borders, speed of going in to lockdown, compliance from the community within lockdown and quality & effectiveness of contact tracing to name just a few state government policy measures off the top of my head.

Most of the Covid outbreaks have been from quarantine leakages from returning travellers. Once there is an outbreak it's a matter of how well it can be contained. My state has been able to maintain a dozen or so outbreaks from super spreading events and through a combination of the measures implemented above, have been able to eliminate the spread of the disease within the community, even with a Delta outbreak. This hasn't been the case for all of the Australian states. One of the biggest problems states like NSW and Victoria are having is compliance with lockdown orders from within the community, in part due to the inequities within the lockdowns. 
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 01:36:10 pm by Adel »

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #287 on: October 05, 2021, 01:28:43 pm »
Does this help?  :angel:
We teach our students about word choice and how it reflects the writer's tone but unfortunately emojis are inappropriate in academic discourse. :blank:
What? You took my comment seriously?  :shocked:
Guess I should've used more emojis!  :wink:

« Reply #288 on: October 05, 2021, 01:35:55 pm »
No, Marti you don't get it. You're treating Australia as a homogenous entity. In relation to the way Covid 19 outbreak has been managed this simply isn't the case because of the nature of Federalism within the Australian context. There has been a good deal of variation in Covid outcomes within each Australian state without even getting into a comparison with New Zealand. A lot the differences in outcome can be attributed to each state's handling of quarantine protocols, management of state borders, speed of going in to lockdown, compliance from the community within lockdown and quality & effectiveness of contact tracing to name just a few state government policy measures off the top of my head.
Likewise America isn't homogenous with uniform characteristics. Each state and place has different conditions and factors to consider.

And differences in outcome can also be related to population density, commerce, random luck, travel, etc.

The inability of some people to accept that some outcomes to some degree are not under their control and due to static factors is one of the more common flaws in human decision making. No, it MUST be policy.

• Adel
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• The Abyss
    more
« Reply #289 on: October 05, 2021, 01:38:08 pm »
What? You took my comment seriously?  :shocked:
Guess I should've used more emojis!  :wink:

Didn't you notice my deadpan emoji? :blank:

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #290 on: October 05, 2021, 01:44:10 pm »
Didn't you notice my deadpan emoji? :blank:
I did! But I thought that it was ironic. I figured that if you had been seriously deadpanning, you would've posted 2 of them!

:lipsrsealed:

• Adel
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• The Abyss
    more
« Reply #291 on: October 05, 2021, 01:53:13 pm »
Likewise America isn't homogenous with uniform characteristics. Each state and place has different conditions and factors to consider.

And differences in outcome can also be related to population density, commerce, random luck, travel, etc.

The inability of some people to accept that some outcomes to some degree are not under their control and due to static factors is one of the more common flaws in human decision making. No, it MUST be policy.

I think you should have quoted the second paragraph too. Here it is to remind you.

Most of the Covid outbreaks have been from quarantine leakages from returning travellers. Once there is an outbreak it's a matter of how well it can be contained. My state has been able to maintain a dozen or so outbreaks from super spreading events and through a combination of the measures implemented above, have been able to eliminate the spread of the disease within the community, even with a Delta outbreak. This hasn't been the case for all of the Australian states. One of the biggest problems states like NSW and Victoria are having is compliance with lockdown orders from within the community, in part due to the inequities within the lockdowns.

Needless to say eliminating community spread of Covid19 has nothing to do with luck I assure you.
If you have any states within the US or anywhere for that matter that have successfully eliminated community spread of Covid19 after a super spreading event by doing nothing and just getting lucky I'd appreciate you telling us about. 
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 01:55:38 pm by Adel »

« Reply #292 on: October 05, 2021, 02:05:06 pm »
If you have any states within the US or anywhere for that matter that have successfully eliminated community spread of Covid19 after a super spreading event by doing nothing and just getting lucky I'd appreciate you telling us about.
It is when you have completely different population densities and levels of international travel and interaction.

Again, if it is all policy, do you assert that countries like Germany and France have had worse policies due to their far higher death toll?

• Adel
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• The Abyss
    more
« Reply #293 on: October 05, 2021, 02:27:41 pm »
It is when you have completely different population densities and levels of international travel and interaction.
Again, if it is all policy, do you assert that countries like Germany and France have had worse policies due to their far higher death toll?

That's right Marti, virtually no international travel anymore because of a government decision to close borders to all but a tiny trickle of returning expats. Virtually no domestic travel between some states either for the same reason.  Much to the detriment of the local economy as so much of it was dependent on international travel in the form of tourism and students. Very little interaction to all but a few family members during protracted government mandated lockdowns either.

Every public place you visit, you need to do this.

If you don't, you get fined. If the public place doesn't display one they can be fined so heavily they may end up out of business.

You can go and do your own research about Germany and France and get back to us if you wish, with evidence of where they went wrong. That would be refreshing. 

« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 02:48:51 pm by Adel »

« Reply #294 on: October 05, 2021, 03:57:00 pm »
That's right Marti, virtually no international travel anymore because of a government decision to close borders to all but a tiny trickle of returning expats. Virtually no domestic travel between some states either for the same reason.  Much to the detriment of the local economy as so much of it was dependent on international travel in the form of tourism and students. Very little interaction to all but a few family members during protracted government mandated lockdowns either.

Every public place you visit, you need to do this.

If you don't, you get fined. If the public place doesn't display one they can be fined so heavily they may end up out of business.

You can go and do your own research about Germany and France and get back to us if you wish, with evidence of where they went wrong. That would be refreshing. 

The "evidence" is in the death tolls. That was the same evidence you used to blame the U.S.

• Adel
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• The Abyss
    more
« Reply #295 on: October 05, 2021, 04:33:26 pm »
The "evidence" is in the death tolls. That was the same evidence you used to blame the U.S.

No Marti, that was only part of the evidence, where is the evidence to explain the death rate other than you silly claims about being unlucky. I've listed the evidence of public policy action that has been taken that has prevented the spread of the virus and prevented death.  We are all aware of the evidence of inaction from you hero. It's well past Super Bowl but  mass spreading events like that one on Jan 6th haven't been forgotten.
Nonetheless you keep bringing up Europe with no evidence other than your logical fallacies to support spurious conclusions. Why don't you try and paint yourself as credible for a change instead of being a half-baked Trumpey hack.  I shan't be responding anymore unless you lift your game. Do some f#@$ing research for f#@k sake!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 04:51:05 pm by Adel »

« Reply #296 on: October 06, 2021, 01:17:11 pm »
I've listed the evidence of public policy action that has been taken that has prevented the spread of the virus and prevented death. 
That's not evidence. That is stuff you listed but haven't controlled for.

• Adel
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• The Abyss
    more
« Reply #297 on: October 06, 2021, 01:49:28 pm »

That's not evidence. That is stuff you listed but haven't controlled for.

Cute!

« Reply #298 on: October 06, 2021, 01:59:18 pm »
Hahahahaha!!!! That's so funny.

• Adel
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• The Abyss
    more
« Reply #299 on: Yesterday at 04:51:05 am »
So what's after the Delta strain? Here's the regular podcast that I listen to on the topic featuring,  Professor Eddie Holmes, an evolutionary biologist and virologist speculating on the origins of the virus and on what might come next as the SARS-CoV-2 virus continues to evolve.

https://abcmedia.akamaized.net/news/audio/podcast/coronacast/cvp_20211015_episode397_next_delta.mp3