Read 5342 times

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
Re: Why I still maintain the Wuhan lab was the origin of the virus
« Reply #160 on: June 11, 2021, 10:07:59 am »
Why even think about billionaires?

Itís such a small percentage.

We who are reading this are well above average in intellectual gifts and talents.

We graduated from university.

We have and had opportunities that many do not and did not.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #161 on: June 11, 2021, 10:52:50 am »
Iím including myself in the everyone reading this category. How it is supercilious to say billionaires are smarter than us? Itís the opposite. And itís true. Iím saying Zuckerberg has higher intellect than me. And you. Thems the breaks. Might be distasteful to say but itís not inaccurate.
I disagree that it's *necessarily* true.
I think that circumstance and luck can play a pretty big part in whether or not a business becomes successful, and an even bigger part in whether it makes you filthy rich. There's a lot to be said for being in the right place at the right time.

Mind you, I'm not saying that there's no effort or intelligence involved in becoming rich, because that's clearly not true.

However, most philosophers and ground-breaking scientists whom I would consider to be geniuses never became particularly rich.
Likewise, a single mother working 2 jobs to make ends meet works orders of magnitude harder than most any CEO.

And of course most people here will agree that your particular example of a rich dude - Zuckerburg - is a pretty smart guy.
The Kardashians, on the other hand...

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #162 on: June 11, 2021, 12:05:13 pm »
We who are reading this are well above average in intellectual gifts and talents.
ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
more gg more skill

« Reply #163 on: June 11, 2021, 01:21:20 pm »
And of course most people here will agree that your particular example of a rich dude - Zuckerburg - is a pretty smart guy.
The Kardashians, on the other hand...
Kardashians may or may not be smart, but they are cunning at the very least.

I'd take them in a battle of wits over the average person who pooh-poohs them.

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #164 on: June 11, 2021, 01:24:22 pm »

all of them? kim, for sure. the parents, too. but uhhhhhhhh khloe? idk man
more gg more skill

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #165 on: June 11, 2021, 01:28:24 pm »

Depends on the pooh-pooher, I guess.
I'm not calling them stupid - I have no idea about their IQ except from what I see on memes - but they're not famous for their beautiful minds.

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #166 on: June 11, 2021, 02:30:27 pm »

the kardashians... cunning? how so?

« Reply #167 on: June 11, 2021, 03:02:07 pm »
the kardashians... cunning? how so?
They've leveraged what they had into being global media icons who have significant financial assets and the ability to do things like create startups, influence discussion, and so on. They also haven't burned it away in a couple of years like many have.

That takes some manner of cunning.

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #168 on: June 11, 2021, 11:34:27 pm »
They've leveraged what they had into being global media icons who have significant financial assets and the ability to do things like create startups, influence discussion, and so on. They also haven't burned it away in a couple of years like many have.

Is the world a better place for their "contribution"?

« Reply #169 on: June 12, 2021, 10:03:40 am »
Is the world a better place for their "contribution"?
The issue wasn't their morality, it was their cunning.

Anyways, she's probably done more to help than everyone on this site put together.
https://www.glamourmagazine.co.uk/article/a-love-letter-to-kim-kardashian

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #170 on: June 12, 2021, 11:18:33 am »
The issue wasn't their morality, it was their cunning.

Well, I'm opening up the discussion.

Anyways, she's probably done more to help than everyone on this site put together.
https://www.glamourmagazine.co.uk/article/a-love-letter-to-kim-kardashian

So, she contributes infinitesimal percentages of her net worth to various charities.  You have virtually no respect for the value of education, I take it.

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #171 on: June 13, 2021, 03:20:04 am »
While I agree with Freddy Mercury that fat-bottomed girls make the rocking world go round, has the "discussion" on this site sunk so low that Kim Kardashian is being held up as a role model and a Glamour magazine puff piece is being used as evidence? What's next, Bill Gates' divorce?

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #172 on: June 13, 2021, 03:45:31 am »
up to half people who contracted covid but showed no symptoms might end up with long term and permanent lung damage and other health issues

100 million Americans have had COVID-19.

Thatís 30% of the population.

Though Americans are fat and unhealthy in general, the percentage who suffered serious long term consequences was small.

ďUp to halfĒ? No.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #173 on: June 13, 2021, 03:59:55 am »
The Centers for Disease Control estimates that 100 million Americans gained some immunity by surviving coronavirus infections

https://www.yahoo.com/news/pandemic-ends-095208822.html
___________________ ___________________ __________

Think about that.

One percent of 100 million is a million.

Yet deaths are well below that. 

A more deadly disease will come in the future.

But this one isnít particularly deadly upon exposure, just more contagious.

The more people infected, the greater number who will die overall, even though most will be fine.

What we can do for this and future viruses: keep our immune systems strong.

And somehow convince anti-vaxxers to get vaccinated.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #174 on: June 13, 2021, 06:51:23 am »
Odds of death if you catch COVID-19 (which you probably wonít) by age:

25: 1 in 10,000
35: 1 in 2,700
45: 1 in 800
55: 1 in 240
65: 1 in 70
75: 1 in 24
85: 1 in 7

Strive to be in the upper 99% of your age bracket in terms of health. If thatís achievable you ainít gonna die.

The above stats are for the unvaccinated. Get a vaccine and the odds improve considerably. Donít worry about dying from coronavirus unless youíre elderly, which youíre not.

But ... worry about spreading it to the elderly ... so be as healthy as you possibly can. The better your immune system, the quicker the virus can be neutralized, meaning less contagion. Very healthy will most likely result in no contagion at all.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #175 on: June 13, 2021, 10:29:45 am »
65: 1 in 70
75: 1 in 24
85: 1 in 7
Your parents and grandparents are in more danger than if they drove home drunk on a rainy Friday night.

(L1 suggests people just "strive to be" in the top 1%.
Seriously. Sorry granny. You just don't cut it.)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 10:33:18 am by VanIslander »

« Reply #176 on: June 13, 2021, 11:14:48 am »
Well, I'm opening up the discussion.
Fine. Kim Kardashian is an attention-seeking self-indulgent ass. Anything more?

Is Kim Kardashian a member of the Church of America? Kim Kardashian does not exist to fulfill my concepts of morality. If she wants to do what she does and it doesn't break any laws or harm others, then fine.

Famous parents can get you in the door, but it takes cunning to stay there and rise through the churn.

Also, Kim Kardashian may not be book smart, but she's spent her whole life dealing with a few things- A bunch of hangers-on and rivals and the press and executives that are trying to leech off of her or get in her pants and lie to her and again, and her having to sift through that bullshit and turn it to her advantage.

That takes cunning and I don't think you really grasp the intense pressure and trickery that gets involved at that level. This isn't a bunch of dipshit kids trying to outsmart teacher over some stickers. You're going up against professionals at that level. You damn well need some cunning. 

"Kim Kardashian doesn't have cunning. I have cunning. I've outwitted Korean 5th graders and middle schoolers trying to get out of homework and a hung-over CT on an extra vacation day. I'm the one with cunning! Screw that Kim Kardashian outwitting professional conmen, lawyers, merchants, business people, studio execs, and so on, all trying to scam every cent they can off of her. That's not at my level."

Yeah, don't think Kim is the naÔve and stupid one here.

So, she contributes infinitesimal percentages of her net worth to various charities.  You have virtually no respect for the value of education, I take it.
I don't overrate education the way some people do. There's a difference between formal education and intelligence/cunning/wisdom/intellectual curiosity/reasoning/etc.

Are you jealous of the attention Kim Kardashian gets vs. teachers? My goal as a teacher is to enable my students excel in what they choose, and if my student is Kim Kardashian, by golly I hope she goes out and takes the world by storm and leaves me in the dust. Good for her. It wasn't me who made her and I want for her what every teacher should genuinely hope for: That their students shine brighter than them.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 11:33:29 am by Mr.DeMartino »

« Reply #177 on: June 13, 2021, 11:27:59 am »
While I agree with Freddy Mercury that fat-bottomed girls make the rocking world go round, has the "discussion" on this site sunk so low that Kim Kardashian is being held up as a role model and a Glamour magazine puff piece is being used as evidence? What's next, Bill Gates' divorce?
I'm just saying, shitting on the Kardashians is such a lazy and boring take.

"Kim Kardashian sucks and is a narcissist. I'm smarter than her." Gee, I've never heard that one before. I certainly haven't heard it since the early 2000s. Real original thought you have there, Mr. "I'm so much smarter than Kim Kardashian, the only thing I have to say about her is what's been said in every American dorm room since Bush's first term"

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #178 on: June 13, 2021, 02:22:47 pm »

"Kim Kardashian doesn't have cunning. I have cunning. I've outwitted Korean 5th graders and middle schoolers trying to get out of homework and a hung-over CT on an extra vacation day. I'm the one with cunning! Screw that Kim Kardashian outwitting professional conmen, lawyers, merchants, business people, studio execs, and so on, all trying to scam every cent they can off of her. That's not at my level."

Yeah, don't think Kim is the naÔve and stupid one here.

What with this being your idea of an educator, I agree.  It's you..

« Reply #179 on: June 13, 2021, 03:24:39 pm »
What with this being your idea of an educator, I agree.  It's you..
Actually, my view of being an educator was the part below, you know, where I said that my job was to encourage the student to be the best they could be on the path they have chosen and hopefully outshine me.

Not trying to hammer them into my view of how they should be according to my morality and my own selfish desires.

If young Kim Kardashian was my student and she said "I want to be a rich, famous celebrity with a reality TV show, my own fashion line, and my own cosmetics company" My reaction would and should be "That's great for you, let me teach you so you can make that happen." It should NOT be "How dare you! You need to do something more serious like go into academia or pursue (insert political cause X I support)."

That conversation is for them and their parents and peers and clergy. Not for us teachers. If they ask us in private or directly, sure. But if a kid wants to be reality star or youtuber or pro gamer or athlete or singer or dancer or rapper or hippy artist or masseuse or whatever, my reaction should be "That's wonderful, let me help you."