Read 1198 times

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
I buy nothing FROZEN... am i alone?
« on: May 15, 2021, 10:33:50 pm »
The local supermarkets are creeping-up more frozen food products, and less fresh ingredients.

Which side are you on?

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Cairo, Egypt (formerly Seoul)
Re: I buy nothing FROZEN... am i alone?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2021, 10:59:35 pm »

I buy mostly ingredients, not prepared foods, so I donít think fresh or frozen makes much difference.

Fresh berries are much more expensive than frozen, so for smoothies or pancakes they are fine.

I am not a big fan of frozen seafood, though. It changes the texture.

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2021, 11:30:30 pm »
I only buy frozen fruit in for things like smoothies.

Otherwise it's fresh all the way :)

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2021, 06:05:47 am »
Frozen fruits and vegetables retain almost all of their nutrients when frozen properly.

Most frozen processed food is garbage, except ice cream ;)

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2021, 12:35:37 pm »
There's a new butcher shop in my town. It mainly sells Canadian frozen beef. I bought 450 grams of mince (ground) for pies. It was cheap, 6000 won, and tasted just fine when onion, herbs, and tomatoes were added. In comparison the Korean beef mince was 20,000 won for 400 grams. No choice there! Not for pies anyway.

I also looked at the bone on ribeye, but it was more bone than meat. But again, on sale it was only 52,000 won a kilo.

I do prefer fresh produce, but some frozen goods cannot be avoided due to cost, convenience, or availability.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2021, 01:29:04 pm »
Frozen ingredients is one thing,

but the exploding volume of frozen meals in Korean supermarkets and reduced size of fresh produce sections is stunning.

There are multiple aisles of freezers.

I read a news report about the increase in single-person households in Korea. I guess frozen stews, soups, and other Korean dishes are becoming all the rage. A local convenience store carries a variety of stews in a bag on the shelf. That seems less appetizing than frozen meals.

Times, they are a changing.

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2021, 01:56:45 pm »
Have a big fridge with half being a six foot freezer. Itís full of frozen fruit, veg and meat.  All healthy. 

And if I had to guess, yes, youíre alone. 

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2021, 03:50:13 pm »
I try to do my main shopping once every two weeks, so I buy fresh and frozen.  The only way to get some "western" veggies is frozen, so what's the problem?

My emart has not changed the fresh fruit/veg section except to put in a short aisle devoted to dried fruits and nuts, and decrease the wine and spirits section to put in organic foods.

And the stews in a bag, depending on brand, perhaps, and the particular dish, can be about as good as restaurant, though without the panchan.  I like the Johnsonville budae jiggae and bibigo yook gae jang.  I usually have them with a peanut butter sandwich, so it's like vegetable soup day in elementary school.

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2021, 06:01:19 pm »
I cant. All my space is taken up by ice for cocktails, frozen tequila pops, a few bottles of gin and vodka, and that right ear I've been meaning to have sewn back on.

• chimp
  • Veteran

• April 19, 2015, 05:16:31 am
    • Zoo
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2021, 07:21:25 pm »
Not on any side, I buy what I want, frozen or not. From what I gather there are more ready meals because people like eating at home but don't want to cook. See also- popularity of home delivery.

My frozen/fresh process goes like this...

1. *Look at thing*
2. "Do I want to eat this?"
3a. If yes- put in cart
3b. If no- do not put in cart
4. Pay
5. Relax

I don't:
1. Make threads on websites.
2. Ask dull questions about obvious social trends
oo oo ahh ahh

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2021, 07:36:15 pm »
Frozen fruits and vegetables retain almost all of their nutrients when frozen properly.

Most frozen processed food is garbage, except ice cream ;)
Most research says frozen is actually better nutrient-wise.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2021, 08:58:42 pm »
I cant. All my space is taken up by ice for cocktails, frozen tequila pops, a few bottles of gin and vodka, and that right ear I've been meaning to have sewn back on.
:) Quote of the week.

• KimDuHan
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 15, 2015, 11:48:59 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2021, 03:09:44 am »
I lived next to an emart and Lotte mart. I would go right before closing about two times a week and buy fresh USA/Canadian steaks or chicken that was 50% off which was still good for a few days. For fruit I would buy from small vendors. Never bought much frozen stuff besides ice cream occasionally

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2021, 07:41:01 am »
very on brand. but do you really put gin in the freezer? is that the meta? mine just sits in a cabinet
more gg more skill

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2021, 07:52:28 am »
I buy: apple mangoes, blueberries, and mixed vegetables frozen - the first 2 I use when I make smoothies.
Everything else I buy fresh, but I also store meat in the freezer.

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2021, 08:14:51 am »
Buy reduced items or items in bulk and stick them in the freezer. Take out when needed.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2021, 08:22:13 am »
The local supermarkets are creeping-up more frozen food products, and less fresh ingredients.

Which side are you on?

I buy frozen veggies all the time.  Coat them with some Olive oil and salt and cook in the air fryer.  Have it as a side with some meat and a small potato.  My go to meals.  Taste great.  I love the crunch.  Some veggies get black in a couple fo spots, but still yummy. 

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2021, 08:25:45 am »
Oil, salt and sugar... three "staples" one should do without.

SOS: salt, oil, sugar

Your health will improve with less of them.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2021, 08:26:07 am »
Frozen ingredients is one thing,

but the exploding volume of frozen meals in Korean supermarkets and reduced size of fresh produce sections is stunning.

There are multiple aisles of freezers.

I read a news report about the increase in single-person households in Korea. I guess frozen stews, soups, and other Korean dishes are becoming all the rage. A local convenience store carries a variety of stews in a bag on the shelf. That seems less appetizing than frozen meals.

Times, they are a changing.

I read that single housholds a quarter to a third not too long ago.  Though someone tell me why marts still sell in bulk.  IE  I am not buying 20 tomatoes when I just need 2.  They won't let me pick what I need unlike in Canada.  Same for bananas.  I am not going to pay more money for things just to have half them go bad on me and have to throw them away.  Korean supermarkets should change their mindset.  If anything they have gotten worse in recent years.  Even with less helthy food, I could buy portions.  The fried chicken section and sushi.  I could take what I wanted.  Now they put it in large portions - family size - and force you to pay a lot for too much that you can't eat.  Absolute clusterf***. 

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2021, 08:26:48 am »
Oil, salt and sugar... three "staples" one should do without.

SOS: salt, oil, sugar

Your health will improve with less of them.

Probably, but they are so good.  Well, the first two anyways.  But in moderation is okay.