Read 3341 times

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
Re: Some samples of apartments in China.
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2021, 02:51:12 pm »
Sadly, in my area, there aren't many options for renting.
I've looked at all the nearby options and they are in worse condition than my current place.
I thought about moving to the city nearby, but it would add a really long commute to work, and I'd have to spend over 240,000won per month to get to school and back.
I think my current apartment, while it has a lot of room and is really close to my schools, I think there is A LOT of hidden mold in places I both can't see and get to, and it seems like it might be the cause of all my health issues over the last year. As, every hospital visit has shown me in the normal/healthy range (other than my weight which should be okay now).

Been there in the countryside years ago with the moldly old uninsulated buildings.  You gotta rip of the wallpaper and repaint the walls with some kind of water sealant paint or material.  See if you can coat the windows with anything too.  Then, put new wallpaper up over it and a color of your liking.  If you know a Korean who can translate (not in the school), just do it without asking permission.  Do it first.  What are they gonna do?  Place will look better.  But first rip off wallpaper and scrub clean walls with hot soapy wayter, bleach, etc.  Go to town on it. 

Check with a paint store and an interior store.  Once this is done, check your furniture to see if it has any mold on it to be cleaned.  Keep all your furniture a couple of inches or more away from the wall.  To allow air flow.  Once all okay, get a good dehumifier.  Air con prob has one already during summer.  Winter on the hottest heating days you may need a humidifier too.  But often you will need a dehumidifier.  Run that bad boy all day when you are out, especially rainy days or winter days.  Should be a self shutting off one. 

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2021, 02:52:52 pm »
Actually VanIslander, I don't mean to be a nitpicker, but I am compelled to correct these kinds of errors.  One would provide an "example" of an apartment in China, rather than a sample.  Not mocking you, but how one would provide a sample of an apartment?  HaHaHa, that would certainly be a sight!

A shame your basketweaving degrees never had Statistics.  Probablities, sample sizes, standard deviation, etc?  Gotta go back to the drawing board.....

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2021, 02:56:41 pm »
but how one would provide a sample of an apartment?  HaHaHa, that would certainly be a sight!

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2021, 03:05:45 pm »
Been there in the countryside years ago with the moldly old uninsulated buildings.  You gotta rip of the wallpaper and repaint the walls with some kind of water sealant paint or material.  See if you can coat the windows with anything too.  Then, put new wallpaper up over it and a color of your liking.  If you know a Korean who can translate (not in the school), just do it without asking permission.  Do it first.  What are they gonna do?  Place will look better.  But first rip off wallpaper and scrub clean walls with hot soapy wayter, bleach, etc.  Go to town on it. 

Check with a paint store and an interior store.  Once this is done, check your furniture to see if it has any mold on it to be cleaned.  Keep all your furniture a couple of inches or more away from the wall.  To allow air flow.  Once all okay, get a good dehumifier.  Air con prob has one already during summer.  Winter on the hottest heating days you may need a humidifier too.  But often you will need a dehumidifier.  Run that bad boy all day when you are out, especially rainy days or winter days.  Should be a self shutting off one.

We got permission from the landlord to rip the wallpaper off. However, other than the spots where the wallpaper was visibly bad, it's REALLY stuck on there, and I don't have the tools to take the wallpaper down all over the apartment. I've already cleaned the areas I managed to get it down a lot. I also have 2 mold killing air purifiers that I change the filters on every 3 months or so too. Actually, my AC is full of mold, and there is no way to open it up, I need to call the AS number. My washing machine is full of mold too, behind the drums, where I can't clean.
Maybe I should get a dehumidifier. I think that's the only important thing I don't have.

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2021, 03:07:47 pm »
A shame your basketweaving degrees never had Statistics.  Probablities, sample sizes, standard deviation, etc?  Gotta go back to the drawing board.....

Meme of object flying over Hangook's head undetected inserted here.   

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2021, 03:09:47 pm »
It's not all flowers and roses here in Chinese apartments. One thing I've learned is you absolutely MUST do your homework before settling on a place (city and home).

For example, a lot of buildings (5-10 stories) don't have elevators...might be great daily exercise but not for everyone, especially if you're on the 5th floor and above.

Also, a ton of homes don't have unlimited hot water. What they have are these mini electric water heating tanks that heat up 20-40L of water at the time...so you're SOL if you like long showers, especially in winter. My place is a tower built in 2015 (we do have elevators lol), but no central hot water system, so my landlord installed one of those shitty tanks...I replaced it with an instant hot water heater that gives me as much hot water as I want 24/7. Advantage is it's cheap to do (China), but with language issues it might be difficult for someone new to the country. My rent is currently 2k CNY and the apartment is modern enough...but an extra 1-2k would get me something luxurious (2-3 bed with completely new furnishings, central heating etc), which I'll be doing later this year.

In major tier 1 cities like shanghai, beijing, shenzen etc, you'd be paying a lot more money for older (and crappier) apartments, and even more for anything remotely modern (i.e. built in the past decade)...think of Seoul prices but on steroids (anything from 4-10k CNY for older places)...but again it really depends on which part of the city you prefer to be in and how long of a commute to work you're willing to put up with.

« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2021, 03:13:36 pm »

Dude, you of all people to be going off on this...

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2021, 03:19:53 pm »
Meme of object flying over Hangook's head undetected inserted here.

You rang?

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2021, 03:22:30 pm »
Dude, you of all people to be going off on this...
the gall!
more gg more skill

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2021, 03:22:56 pm »
You rang?

How'd you get my most recent photo? :O

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2021, 03:26:34 pm »
You rang?

I was counting on you, man. 

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #71 on: May 18, 2021, 03:27:33 pm »
I was counting on you, man. 

I just wish I'd made the picture larger.

Ah well.

• pkjh
  • The Legend

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
    • Asia
« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2021, 03:31:27 pm »
It's not all flowers and roses here in Chinese apartments. One thing I've learned is you absolutely MUST do your homework before settling on a place (city and home).

For example, a lot of buildings (5-10 stories) don't have elevators...might be great daily exercise but not for everyone, especially if you're on the 5th floor and above.

Also, a ton of homes don't have unlimited hot water. What they have are these mini electric water heating tanks that heat up 20-40L of water at the time...so you're SOL if you like long showers, especially in winter. My place is a tower built in 2015 (we do have elevators lol), but no central hot water system, so my landlord installed one of those shitty tanks...I replaced it with an instant hot water heater that gives me as much hot water as I want 24/7. Advantage is it's cheap to do (China), but with language issues it might be difficult for someone new to the country. My rent is currently 2k CNY and the apartment is modern enough...but an extra 1-2k would get me something luxurious (2-3 bed with completely new furnishings, central heating etc), which I'll be doing later this year.

In major tier 1 cities like shanghai, beijing, shenzen etc, you'd be paying a lot more money for older (and crappier) apartments, and even more for anything remotely modern (i.e. built in the past decade)...think of Seoul prices but on steroids (anything from 4-10k CNY for older places)...but again it really depends on which part of the city you prefer to be in and how long of a commute to work you're willing to put up with.
Sounds just like Korea in the 80s. My father worked in Korea for a few years in Korea, so I spent a few summer with him in Korea in the 80s. Anyways, lots of apartments had no hot water, so most people went to those bath houses. Or you'd heat up a huge bucket of hot water and pour it into the bath tub. Most apartment buildings built before the 80s had no elevators, which meant most of them. One time my father went to a colleague's apartment, and the family lived on like the 15th floor. So, my father, my sister, and mother, had to walk up 15 floors... lol

Also, they had scheduled daily brownouts in residential areas, during week days, for a few hours in the early afternoon. And most small businesses had no A/C units, which meant you only had a lousy electric fan, or those ceiling fans to cool down in those summer months. And people smoked on those public buses, and sellers would get on those buses to sell cigarettes, candy, and stuff.

It's exactly like what I saw in the Philippines, and other parts of SE Asia last time I was there.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu County, Taiwan (not part of China)
    more
« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2021, 07:20:57 pm »

Waygook, is correct, generally Chinese buildings are terribly built. The apartment block I lived in was a hotel which then sold off the rooms which the owners converted into studio apartments and let them out. My first one, I managed to stay there for 2 days and told my college I must have another or I am out of there. It has leaky pipes in the walls, broken everything etc, etc.

They then move me to another apartment which was just great, the owner had done it up beautifully and fixed all the problems and he was the best landlord I have ever had. My co-workers who stayed in the same block were not so lucky and their apartments sucked.

I noticed that Chinese make these beautiful buildings on the outside but on the inside they are rotten. Contractors are forever cutting corners and using sub-par materials or sub-contracting to people who will give them a big kickback and make up for it by cutting corners and using cheap materials.

The college I taught at looked from the outside like some of the best colleges you could hope to see anywhere in the world but inside.... ugh. Leaking pipes were the order of the day in the walls and the rooms looked like they were a hundred years old. So, yes, be very careful about where you get an apartment, they can be terrible.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2021, 11:49:08 pm »
Actually VanIslander, I don't mean to be a nitpicker, but I am compelled to correct these kinds of errors.  One would provide an "example" of an apartment in China, rather than a sample.  Not mocking you, but how one would provide a sample of an apartment?  HaHaHa, that would certainly be a sight!
That's the point of my post. I have never had a sample of an apartment. I am intrigued.

Of course, the op mixed up sample and example, a typical ESL student mistake but kinda surprising for an English teacher website. So I took him at his word that he meant sample, and wondered how I could get a free sample.

Several threads recently have been about China. Thank heavens for silly mistakes one can have fun with. It's getting a bit much.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 01:28:50 pm by VanIslander »

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #75 on: May 19, 2021, 12:27:43 pm »
Sounds just like Korea in the 80s. My father worked in Korea for a few years in Korea, so I spent a few summer with him in Korea in the 80s. Anyways, lots of apartments had no hot water, so most people went to those bath houses. Or you'd heat up a huge bucket of hot water and pour it into the bath tub. Most apartment buildings built before the 80s had no elevators, which meant most of them. One time my father went to a colleague's apartment, and the family lived on like the 15th floor. So, my father, my sister, and mother, had to walk up 15 floors... lol

Also, they had scheduled daily brownouts in residential areas, during week days, for a few hours in the early afternoon. And most small businesses had no A/C units, which meant you only had a lousy electric fan, or those ceiling fans to cool down in those summer months. And people smoked on those public buses, and sellers would get on those buses to sell cigarettes, candy, and stuff.

It's exactly like what I saw in the Philippines, and other parts of SE Asia last time I was there.

In many ways, China is like Korea of the 80s and 90s...especially the rural places (even an hour outside a major city like Shanghai). In other ways, China is on par with Korea (organisation and tech wise). In 99% of my transactions in the country I haven't used a card let alone cash. And everything can be as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be.

Waygook, is correct, generally Chinese buildings are terribly built. The apartment block I lived in was a hotel which then sold off the rooms which the owners converted into studio apartments and let them out. My first one, I managed to stay there for 2 days and told my college I must have another or I am out of there. It has leaky pipes in the walls, broken everything etc, etc.

They then move me to another apartment which was just great, the owner had done it up beautifully and fixed all the problems and he was the best landlord I have ever had. My co-workers who stayed in the same block were not so lucky and their apartments sucked.

I noticed that Chinese make these beautiful buildings on the outside but on the inside they are rotten. Contractors are forever cutting corners and using sub-par materials or sub-contracting to people who will give them a big kickback and make up for it by cutting corners and using cheap materials.

The college I taught at looked from the outside like some of the best colleges you could hope to see anywhere in the world but inside.... ugh. Leaking pipes were the order of the day in the walls and the rooms looked like they were a hundred years old. So, yes, be very careful about where you get an apartment, they can be terrible.

Agreed on the beautiful exteriors!!! You see some swanky and majestic looking buildings, only to enter and they seem derelict and falling apart!! But things are slowly starting to change at least where I am.

Another thing is the sheer number of expensive cars you see here...Porsche SUVs are so ubiquitous they make BMWs look like standard level everyday cars. VW have a massive presence here (every other car is a VW), as does Tesla. The Chinese brands seem super high tech though (at least the ones built in the past 2-3 years)...driving here will be life threatening!! Also, electric motorcycles are everywhere...like flies in a landfill. They're pretty cheap too and you can even get imitations of western models (Harley, Ducati etc) in electric version.

« Reply #76 on: May 19, 2021, 01:10:02 pm »
That's the point if my post.

Did you mean "That's the point OF my post"?

If is used when introducing a conditional clause, for example "on the condition or supposition that; in the event that..."

Even a published author and journalist can make a mistake sometimes or another. We have to keep ourselves to account, as educators.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2021, 01:28:00 pm »
Smartphone walking: i next to o on the keyboard display.

Not an intentional error in any way. The very definition of TYPO.

Not knowing the difference between a typo and grammatical error is on par with not knowing the difference between sample and example.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #78 on: May 19, 2021, 04:18:35 pm »
In 99% of my transactions in the country I haven't used a card let alone cash.
Huh? What did you do, odd jobs?

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #79 on: May 19, 2021, 04:20:41 pm »
i next to o on the keyboard display.

*I'm

You sound like my students,

"I next to Jimin."

No, "I'm next to Jimin."