Read 2952 times

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
I can't remember having Labour Day fall on a Saturday before.  My school is closing the third and fourth before Children's Day so I have to use vacation days if I want them off, but I was thinking with Labour Day falling on Saturday I could get the Monday in compensation.  What's your school doing next week?

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
You have to use vacation days when the school closes?

Otherwise come in (and be the only teacher in the building)?

I get to use two days vacation for the 3rd and 4th. I now have 2 days of vacation for summer, yay!!

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

What will you do for your summer vacation? Travel to Seoul?

What will you do for your summer vacation? Travel to Seoul?

Take two Fridays off I suppose, ????

• pkjh
  • The Legend

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
    • Asia
Lucky punks.

Monday, and Tuesday, both work days for me.

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• Anyang
You have to use vacation days when the school closes?

Otherwise come in (and be the only teacher in the building)?

I'm considering it.  I have the option but it depends on the weather.  I'm pretty sure I won't be vaccinated by the time summer vacation rolls around so I don't need to hoard my days.  I was just wondering if because the day off falls on Saturday if any school gave it to anyone on the Monday.  This is the first year I've been subjected to the 26 vacation days when you have to use one when the school makes the decision to close. 

• D.L.Orean
  • Super Waygook

• February 25, 2020, 09:34:41 am
I'm considering it.  I have the option but it depends on the weather.  I'm pretty sure I won't be vaccinated by the time summer vacation rolls around so I don't need to hoard my days. I was just wondering if because the day off falls on Saturday if any school gave it to anyone on the Monday.  This is the first year I've been subjected to the 26 vacation days when you have to use one when the school makes the decision to close.

I believe the policy is only for Seollal, Chuseok and Children's Day to have make up Monday holidays. And I think that might only apply if those holidays fall on a Sunday not Saturday. 2021 is not a good year for public holidays. Including Labor Day, six public holidays fall on Saturday or Sunday this year.

• pkjh
  • The Legend

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
    • Asia
Full-time Korean teachers don't get the day off. Kind of odd, considering that they are government employees.

But, often there is some school event planned that day. However covid threw a wrench in that.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
I'm considering it.  I have the option but it depends on the weather.  I'm pretty sure I won't be vaccinated by the time summer vacation rolls around so I don't need to hoard my days.  I was just wondering if because the day off falls on Saturday if any school gave it to anyone on the Monday.  This is the first year I've been subjected to the 26 vacation days when you have to use one when the school makes the decision to close. 

Yep same here.  I had two schools pull this new rule on me, plus I hear there are new other rules added into the contract this year such as mandatory moving to other places and other lame rules which were not enforced but now are.  I told my teachers this was dumb and signaled out the foreigners.  Some friends didn't even know about it when I told them this week about it.  They were pretty pissed this week.  More rules and no pay raise.  I guess they really want their experienced teachers to leave.  They'll soon get their wish.  Anyhow, since the weather usually sucks in summer (too humid, rainy , and hot), I guess I'll bite the bullet and take two days in May.  At least the weather is usually nice then. 

• chimp
  • Veteran

• April 19, 2015, 05:16:31 am
    • Zoo
I don't think they really wish anything about English teachers, that was the problem all along- the slap-dashedness of it all.

Get some spoiled brats and throw in some dim native speaker and ta-da, Englishee is Fun time
oo oo ahh ahh

If I'm ever paranoid enough to believe that a nation of people, whose raison d'etre seems to be to bolt out of work to get hammered and carouse, is instead actually out to get me with every law and regulation they make, please knock some sense into me.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

I guess I'll bite the bullet and take two days in May.  At least the weather is usually nice then.

There's a lot of air pollution in May (intermittently).

• D.L.Orean
  • Super Waygook

• February 25, 2020, 09:34:41 am

This is a man who dreams of a life in China. Air pollution is not a problem to him.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
This is a man who dreams of a life in China. Air pollution is not a problem to him.

Southern is no worse than here much of the year.  The North is another story.  Hence the much higher pay.  I dream of a Korea that treats foreigners with dignity actually, but I know a lot of you will rant against that idea.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan

I will roll the dice.  But early spring is usually worse.  Pine tree dust which we are seeing now doesn't affect me as much. 

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• Anyang
I believe the policy is only for Seollal, Chuseok and Children's Day to have make up Monday holidays. And I think that might only apply if those holidays fall on a Sunday not Saturday. 2021 is not a good year for public holidays. Including Labor Day, six public holidays fall on Saturday or Sunday this year.

Alright, thanks.  The Monday looks nice so I'll take a long weekend then come in on Tuesday as it's a 70% chance of rain.  I hope I can trust the weather forecast. 

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

I'm pretty sure I won't be vaccinated by the time summer vacation rolls around

I pray to God we'll be vaccinated by the time winter vacation rolls around.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

Yep same here.  I had two schools pull this new rule on me

Me, too. So I'm wondering if there was a memo sent to every school reminding them to deduct vacation days from the NET when the school is closed. Last year this wasn't the case. Now it is.

• Wlvers
  • Explorer

• February 19, 2020, 10:18:30 pm
    • Korea
I'm lucky enough that my 2nd school this year is chill and on election day the VP told me to just take the day off and keep it quiet.

Sometimes the rules seem pretty inane, but my main CoT is also a contract teacher and so she's always there if I have to be there. It's not just a them-vs-foreigners thing. The upside is she's always pushing to get days off for both of us. Spent a lot of time working from home last year when many NETs I know didn't get the option.

And still, my gf is korean and gets just 10 days  year at her company. She's very jealous of all the vacation time I get and the deskwarming time in winter vacation.

Maybe things were better in the past, but really we haven't got it all that bad.