Read 11548 times

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
Re: Resigning from Gepik
« Reply #140 on: July 26, 2021, 11:33:44 am »
Maybe the parents want a native speaker in school but the powers that be don't, so they're making it tough so the foreigners leave and the higher ups can just say "It wasn't our decision."  Otherwise, if they really want them gone they'll just do what cities around me like Anyang then Gunpo did, and just not renew anyone and cut the whole program.   

Yeah no doubt.  I suspect the 1980's generation are in the most senior positions too.  Nowadays they are the quiet racists whereas they were loud and vocal 10 to 15 years ago.  Find an excuse to get foreigners out.  Well, good luck to them.  It may take time, but it will backfire on them. 

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #141 on: July 26, 2021, 11:36:04 am »
If that's the case, then I apologize.
Sometimes it's difficult to differentiate between political and personal opinions, and I might be a bit quick to pull the trigger on these things.

Carry on, then!

No prob.

« Reply #142 on: July 26, 2021, 12:56:42 pm »
Yeah no doubt.  I suspect the 1980's generation are in the most senior positions too.  Nowadays they are the quiet racists whereas they were loud and vocal 10 to 15 years ago.  Find an excuse to get foreigners out.  Well, good luck to them.  It may take time, but it will backfire on them.
While I don't agree with their xenophobia, one does have to take into account that their generation watched as the army literally fought a street battle in a major city and shot civilians that were protesting FOR democracy while the United States twiddled its thumbs and that through their protest efforts they were able to bring down the U.S.-backed military dictatorship.

And you wonder why they can be a little touchy about such things?

Again, I don't agree with that. The U.S. doesn't have anything to do with Nepalese factory workers and Australian English teacher. But that sort of thing is going to be incredibly impacting on how one views the world.

As someone who grew up in comfort, stability and even abundance in the most powerful country on Earth, I'm going to not presume to sit in judgment of people who grew up in a less developed situation, in a military dictatorship, who were beaten in school, and had to protest to get basic democratic rights.

And again, that doesn't mean shit shouldn't be called out, just you also need to understand where people are coming from.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 01:01:00 pm by Mr.DeMartino »

« Reply #143 on: July 27, 2021, 01:15:12 am »
UPDATE:
Hey so I'll tell you about the "Consulting" meeting that took place:
(P.S. before this situation I had no IDEA what consulting was...I thought it was when your school was dissatisfied with your lessons and then they sent some Education officials to view your classes)
Of course It could also mean 3 people coming to your school to hear out grievances *(one of them the Gepik coordinator)! *my situation

The day before the meeting took place I was advised to make a list of of what had been occurring.  A coteacher of mine wrote 5 pages (and she surely did NOT have as many grievances as I did).  They wrote her back assuring her that they would have an open mind and listen to her point of view.

So the day before the meeting took place I wrote a long 9 page letter (sent in early in the morning so they could translate it etc) outlining everything that has gone on for over 4 months (I knew that my voice would be limited in the meeting.  Also this was the first time I could let my voice be heard).  I tried to cut emotions and focus on facts.  I sent it to the person in charge of the meeting.  They didn't acknowledge if they received it or not, despite the fact that 1 of the people observing the meeting was an "expert in English education" (as mentioned to me by my coteacher).

When the time came (the meeting).

They asked how long I had been in Korea and I said over 10 years and it seemed like they stopped listening (at least the two in charge) when I said I didn't speak Korean.  They seemed incredibly disappointed that I didn't understand Korean.  They asked if I could speak or understand Korean and I said very little and their moods changed.  They remarked that being in Korea for so long that I should understand what they were saying.  I can understand their feeling to a point...but my understanding Korean or NOT didn't change any facts at all.  ALSO THE GEPIK COORDINATOR WAS THERE!!!   Just because I have a limited understanding of Korean *no matter how long I have been here.....Why did they harp on it?  Does it change any facts?  Even the other coteacher said that that one of the main consultants seemed annoyed that I didn't understand Korean fully.

So....there was a back and forth of everyone's points.  I was given a short time to say some points...and luckily when I did my other English teachers backed me up.  (or so I could gather)...Although I don't speak Korean well, I can understand it more than I speak.

Essentially they thought my coteachers did well in pointing out their grievances about the teacher in question, but when it came to all my points of bullying they said that it was EMOTIONAL and that the coteacher in question was trying her best.

Even when my coteachers tried to give points to help me...they seemed to scoff at them.  Even if I had proof *texts etc...they seemed to not want to hear anything I had to say about harassment or bullying.  They just said it was a difference of opinion.  I mentioned about the yelling at me in class/out of class etc....  It made no difference.

The GEPIK coordinator did nothing to help my situation.  He kept looking at the clock and seemed bored and tired.  After the meeting  he told the others he would explain everything to me..  All he said was "follow the contract" in passing.  That took less than 5 seconds.  I said...this woman is bullying me and he said "yeah, yeah, I get it".

And then they entered the principal's office for about 5 minutes and then left.

Talking with my other coteachers they felt their points were heard.  I didn't feel that at all.   I have no idea of the outcome of anything. 

Despite having so much proof (texts, other teachers agreements, students agreements),  my points were all discounted.  It was likened to being a personal dispute and an emotional one at that.  NOT TRUE! I fear that this person will continue as my coteacher and make my life hell, and she will continue to bully me with permission!!

The GEPIK coordinator was not helpful..   He just wanted to leave!!!!  I get it, it was a long meeting....but come on....  I can not believe that all the GEPIK NET"S complaints/questions/concerns have to go through him.  One person dealing with hundreds of NETs ?!!! With an attitude like that?

I can't wait to leave this country.  I can't believe I wasted so many years of my life here.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 01:55:57 am by dippedinblush »

« Reply #144 on: July 27, 2021, 01:25:07 am »
Maybe the parents want a native speaker in school but the powers that be don't, so they're making it tough so the foreigners leave and the higher ups can just say "It wasn't our decision."  Otherwise, if they really want them gone they'll just do what cities around me like Anyang then Gunpo did, and just not renew anyone and cut the whole program.   

I felt something weird from the management like they didn't give one shit even though they had a ton of proof .... I have never felt like that before in Korea (professionally).  It seemed like it didn't matter what I said, they were done.  So I too am thinking that the program in * City (where I live) will be totally cut next year.   They cut all the funding for housing this year and I think next year for sure the *city waygs will be GONE.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 01:52:18 am by dippedinblush »

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #145 on: July 27, 2021, 07:46:41 am »
I felt something weird from the management like they didn't give one shit even though they had a ton of proof .... I have never felt like that before in Korea (professionally).  It seemed like it didn't matter what I said, they were done.  So I too am thinking that the program in * City (where I live) will be totally cut next year.   They cut all the funding for housing this year and I think next year for sure the *city waygs will be GONE.

Sorry to hear after a wrapping up a decade here you feel you wasted your time.  Hopefully, as things go forward you can focus on what made you stick around for ten years and rely on those as your memories.  I had a sh*tty finish at a hakwan before I moved to public school where I was a last day firing and got screwed and it left me bitter for awhile, bit after a few weeks of vacationing abroad I really moved on as Korea meant a lot more to me than just that messed up incident. 

And, as far as the Gepik and whatever levels of coordinators are out there, I'm not sure they've ever done anything other than be a mouthpiece for the education offices.  Never heard a word of them having a NETs back. 

« Reply #146 on: July 27, 2021, 07:58:00 am »

I'm so sorry to hear that you had to go through this :(
The best way to summarize almost anything about professionalism in this country would be "UNPROFESSIONAL, BIASED, and DISCRIMINATORY," but as foreigners, we basically don't have the right to protect ourselves from any of this. It is absurd that they are calling you "Emotional," when it is them who are EMOTIONAL in their handling of this situation because they are allowing their personal emotions and disappointment of your Korean ability to cloud their judgement and take away objectivity from this situation regardless of how much evidence you have against this woman. 

« Reply #147 on: July 27, 2021, 09:27:27 am »
Yeah, I'm so sorry, dipped. It was incredibly unprofessional of them, and saying someone is "emotional" is a very overused excuse for dismissing someone's grievances and claims. Guaranteed, if they had experienced even one of the things your coteacher had done to you, they would have turned the school upside down to get her dismissed or transferred. Everything your coteacher had done is considered waaaay disrespectful in Korean culture. The guys who attended the meeting just didn't care because you're not Korean enough for them, lol. I'm pretty sure they have it in their heads that if you don't care enough to learn Korean, then why should they care about your problems? It's ironic how their decision on the matter was very much an emotional one itself.

I'd start recording my classes with her, honestly, until I could leave the school. And I submit a scathing complaint while going out the door.

As for the coordinator, I'm so sorry that he was also so uninvolved. Unfortunately, there are no real credentials for becoming a coordinator (outside of knowing the language and being in Korea), and most of the coordinators that I have personally met aren't actually qualified for the job. Like, at all, lmao. I actually know of a case where a guy who would have been perfect for the job was passed over because the adjusshi in charge wanted the pretty young thing with zero experience instead. Didn't even look at either of their applications, just made the decision based on their pictures. So most if not all of EPIK/GEPIK coordinators don't have the management or PR skills that this position actually requires, and they're also easily manipulated by the people in charge. The position also doesn't come with the pay that someone with the skills and experience to navigate all of that should have, either, so there's not a large pool to pick from in that regard. And even when someone with that background steps forward, they're usually passed over for someone younger.

So when you combine that with the working culture here and with different people on top constantly putting up walls that these guys have no idea how to get around, you can end up with someone who chooses the path of least resistance. Or, worse, someone who buys into the bullshit and blames the foreigners for every issue that they experience, like that racist gyopo who shall remain unnamed but I'm sure some of us know exactly who I'm talking about.

I try to sympathize with coordinators because it is a tough job with very little to no support network, but it's stories like this one that can make that really hard sometimes. The ones who seem to have given up like the one you have (or who never really try to begin with) really should step down and let someone else give it a shot.

It's frustrating, and your feelings on this are 100% valid.

« Reply #148 on: July 27, 2021, 11:13:46 am »
Yeah, I'm so sorry, dipped. It was incredibly unprofessional of them, and saying someone is "emotional" is a very overused excuse for dismissing someone's grievances and claims. Guaranteed, if they had experienced even one of the things your coteacher had done to you, they would have turned the school upside down to get her dismissed or transferred. Everything your coteacher had done is considered waaaay disrespectful in Korean culture. The guys who attended the meeting just didn't care because you're not Korean enough for them, lol. I'm pretty sure they have it in their heads that if you don't care enough to learn Korean, then why should they care about your problems? It's ironic how their decision on the matter was very much an emotional one itself.

I'd start recording my classes with her, honestly, until I could leave the school. And I submit a scathing complaint while going out the door.

As for the coordinator, I'm so sorry that he was also so uninvolved. Unfortunately, there are no real credentials for becoming a coordinator (outside of knowing the language and being in Korea), and most of the coordinators that I have personally met aren't actually qualified for the job. Like, at all, lmao. I actually know of a case where a guy who would have been perfect for the job was passed over because the adjusshi in charge wanted the pretty young thing with zero experience instead. Didn't even look at either of their applications, just made the decision based on their pictures. So most if not all of EPIK/GEPIK coordinators don't have the management or PR skills that this position actually requires, and they're also easily manipulated by the people in charge. The position also doesn't come with the pay that someone with the skills and experience to navigate all of that should have, either, so there's not a large pool to pick from in that regard. And even when someone with that background steps forward, they're usually passed over for someone younger.

So when you combine that with the working culture here and with different people on top constantly putting up walls that these guys have no idea how to get around, you can end up with someone who chooses the path of least resistance. Or, worse, someone who buys into the bullshit and blames the foreigners for every issue that they experience, like that racist gyopo who shall remain unnamed but I'm sure some of us know exactly who I'm talking about.

I try to sympathize with coordinators because it is a tough job with very little to no support network, but it's stories like this one that can make that really hard sometimes. The ones who seem to have given up like the one you have (or who never really try to begin with) really should step down and let someone else give it a shot.

My main co-teacher, who is a contract worker, is so careful and polite and always takes extra caution when writing messages and asking something of other teachers so that she doesn't offend anyone in any way. The way your temporary co-teacher behaved is waaaay out of line! Before leaving Korea you should go to the doctor with the translated 9 pages of your report and ask for a medical note for sick leave due to the mental and emotional trauma that you have experienced due to this lady and ask your other co-teachers to back you up ( or ask for photocopies of their reports in Korean). Take the doctor-approved extra sick leave (doctors can provide notes for extended sick leave and the MOE has to follow it, I believe). Collect your last few paychecks peacefully and severance, and threaten to sue her for the emotional trauma that her bullying has caused youdamages that caused you. Also, if you can, with the help of your co-teacher write to the MOE and complain against the committee for their mistreatment and dismisal of the harrassment that you experienced.

• pkjh
  • The Legend

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
    • Asia
« Reply #149 on: July 27, 2021, 12:15:50 pm »
Coordinators are just a figurehead position. With a mere extra 100k pay, and monthly meetings somewhere. Not sure what you guys can realistically expect a coordinator to do? They are foreigners like us, and that means every single paid Korean teacher outranks them. If a Korean pulls rank, there is absolutely nothing they can do.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #150 on: July 27, 2021, 12:17:42 pm »
The good news is that it is vacation now and you don't have to deal with her. 

But, the attitudes of most Koreans towards us is becoming rather flippant, arrogant, and dismissive.  I had to debate whether I would renew or not.  I guess I stayed put due to covid and watching some crypto investments rebound.  I will go case by case now.  If it's better next year, maybe limp on for another.  I've been here a long time, but I seriously doubt staying too much longer.  There is no freedom in this job (more and more rules and more and more micromanagement nowadays)  and no matter how long you have been here, racist attitudes previal where the Korean is always right and the foreigner is always wrong.  Even though I wanted to leave and really wrestled and debated with myself, I very reluctantly stayed.  Korea has really gone downhill.  I like the country okay, but bad work environments with low pay really cancel out anything about a place you may like.  I have one nasty coteacher out to get the foreigner it seems.  She will call to check where I am and whip out the contract and rule book reading it line by line.  For the first ever, when I went for a renewal interview at the POE (they actually make you re interview and re aply for your job which is ridulous), one of teh interviewers actually read a couple of negative comments back to me and I know it was this one demanding extreme co teacher.  Honestly, I have never met anyone like this before.  Thankfully a couple of the interviewers I knew from along time ago.  So, they may have brushed it off.  I tried for renewal though a side of me was hoping to fail it. 

Anyways, my point is I understand how you feel.  Lately there is stagnant pay, work conditions have gone downhill, and a foreigner is a dime a dozen.  It's not like the welcome guest of honor treatment we recieved long ago.  To most people Korea honestly isn't worth it anymore.  I rememebr I use to talk to some of the supervisors at the POE, then they hired these useless coordinators.  Though most came and went so we still talked to the supervisors and the co ordinators at the same time.  You could actually have a conversation with them.  Then over the last few years, they started using these coordinators as a mouth piece and blocking all contact with anyone else in the office.  It became a wall of stubborn inflexibility and gradual impostion of micromanagement.  Now, we don't even know who the supervisors are.  These coordinators are used as gate keepers and they always quote the company line and take their side no matter what. 

If a foreign teacher is much older and near retirement, I can see them staying around till the bitter end.  But lots of F visa long termers in my area have quit and are going to quit.  The work environment has gotten worse and worse.  Since you are done in August, just stay and desk warm at your school. Use some sick days too. 

I always get slammed here when I say this and I will again too.  But seriously look into China public schools if you want to keep teaching esl abroad.  You can do Vietnam too though China pays better and often has more laid back work conditions the way Korea did years and years ago.  I almost went myself but am waiting to see what the covid deal is by 2022.  Otherwise, go home after this contract is done and just take a break.  It is easy to like Korea itself, but not the work environment and the contracts nowadays. 

« Reply #151 on: July 27, 2021, 12:45:30 pm »
So you have had the consulting and it doesn't sound as if you were 'heard' - despite your efforts.  Hopefully something is being done and you won't have to work with her next semester.  (I think you are a February/March start?).  If you are lucky they will change the teacher.  If not and you still have to 'co-teach' with her you may need to seriously consider your own mental health.  I had a teacher a few years ago (only for 6 months) and had she remained my co-teacher I would have had to leave.  I was a bit of a mess at the end and was unable to get a doctor to sign me off sick for the last week I had with her.  I just needed 3 days to complete the year but I couldn't do it.  I was at school but in the nurses office in tears (sobbing not just tears) and didn't teach with her but had to be at school.  They don't understand and do see it as a weakness if we can't cope.  Your teacher sounds like the one I had but I know it isn't because she is still at my school - as a homeroom teacher!

Anyway I hope you can relax and enjoy your vacation time (time off from co-teaching).

Good luck

• nightninja
  • Expert Waygook

• April 02, 2018, 03:20:32 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #152 on: July 27, 2021, 01:42:16 pm »
unfortunately not being Korean is almost like a mental/physical handicap sometimes because for example you could get into a car accident that was obviously not your fault but the insurance companies may say it was just because you probably didn't know how to drive as a foreigner etc......and on top someone not knowing Korean is just seen as disrespect for Korea......I don't know if that will ever change

if those things are really wearing you down, as they probably would for anyone, then yeah rethink what is best for you....you may like teaching or like Korea as a whole but if it's taking a toll on your health is it worth it in the end?

I'm sorry for what you've had to go through and how everything was handled. and as a previous coordinator myself  it's tough to go through these situations with teachers because your hands are tied.....unfortunat ely we also have no say in anything either so it's just kinda repeating policy etc because that's all we can do and honestly all we are meant to do...we arent meant to be advocates and if we try.....well we still arent Korean so our input doesn't matter much and we just don't understand the culture because whatever problem we tried to help with just isn't a big deal because foreigners just want to be dramatic, lazy, and whatever else ....

I've seen situations in which something contractual was not given or a mistake was made and the response from the higher ups was well ....the NET should have noticed or paid attention and sorry but we arent going to do anything about it...so the attitude is just literally meh its just a foreigner and we cant upset any koreans about the issue so just leave it....in the end what can we do? we can fight it sure but what are the chances of winning? the higher ups know we wont actually take it to the labor board or anything or if we did that we aren't likely to succeed .....

i doubt that foreigners are alone in these feelings to some extent.....like korean nurses hazing the younger nurses etc...its not allowed but its overlooked or the higher ups are "blind" to it.....so if conditions cant improve even within Korean employment culture, for women, single parents, divorcees, F4 visas, those not so aesthetically gifted, lower ranking employees  etc, how would it improve for foreigners ?

maybe the future will be different if Korea has to rely on foreigners coming to work and multicultural couples creating families to get the population of young people back up to where it needs to be.....I guess we shall see.....

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #153 on: July 28, 2021, 05:27:23 am »
Korea has really gone downhill.

In 2007 as a first year hagwon teacher, $2,100 a month for 16 hours a week. Free apartment, free phone, free food, free transportation. $4,500 for 32 hours. Could save $30,000 a year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xODy-482xN8
[7:30]

« Reply #154 on: July 28, 2021, 08:16:49 am »
Was that the typical kind of teacher you used to get back then too. 30s, ex retail worker with no idea of what to do in life, wannabe drug dealer?  No interest in teaching but a 'passion for travel.' Anyway, It's nice that the presenter can welcome 'good' people onto his show to tell their 'cool' stories of commiting capital offences.  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 08:38:17 am by grimlock2 »

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #155 on: July 28, 2021, 10:54:59 am »
Coordinators are just a figurehead position. With a mere extra 100k pay, and monthly meetings somewhere. Not sure what you guys can realistically expect a coordinator to do? They are foreigners like us, and that means every single paid Korean teacher outranks them. If a Korean pulls rank, there is absolutely nothing they can do.

Koreans are a higher rank of important being than other races of people or cultures. 

« Reply #156 on: July 28, 2021, 09:34:25 pm »
The best way to summarize almost anything about professionalism in this country would be "UNPROFESSIONAL, BIASED, and DISCRIMINATORY," but as foreigners, we basically don't have the right to protect ourselves from any of this. It is absurd that they are calling you "Emotional," when it is them who are EMOTIONAL in their handling of this situation because they are allowing their personal emotions and disappointment of your Korean ability to cloud their judgement and take away objectivity from this situation regardless of how much evidence you have against this woman. 

Yes, I felt as though all my evidence wasn't enough at all.  In fact I felt as though that their judgement was set as soon as I said that I didn't speak Korean well.  Especially from the one man (there were three....one man, one woman *who apparently was an expert in English education, and the Gepik coordinator who was fluent in both English and Korean).  Even though I read Korean, speak Korean not well, yet understand it well, he was just so disappointed.  He remarked that I had been here so long that I should understand how things are run in Korea as well as understand it!  How does my Korean ability have anything to do with the problem at hand?

« Reply #157 on: July 28, 2021, 09:45:54 pm »

Yes, saying that my claims were emotional totally dismissed me.  Even though I had proof!  I have a feeling that if they admitted that this woman was in fact bullying me that they could be held liable.  I don't rightly know.  When you think about our rights.....we have none!  We have a person in charge of our sensitive docs and pay and workload and our general wellbeing in the school, and we are AT THEIR MERCY! 

When I say workload let me clarify...Even if you have taught your camps and your 20 hours hasn't been fulfilled, they can make you work additional hours.  Normally I do 3-5 days of camp, at various hours within each camp.  But if you have a coteacher who rigorously looks through your contract and reads..."the school can make you work up to 20 hours"....you could be made to do this.  Before I had never been subjected to that.  Cause after camps my coteachers were like ...go home at lunch.  Not a coteacher that is on your tail.  And if they really are on your tail they will make you work the other hours...even if it's one on one teaching a student for many hours *which I have been made to do.

« Reply #158 on: July 28, 2021, 10:02:41 pm »

Chingu, when I read your post I was tearing up!  Thank you for your sweet words!!!!  THE ONLY REASON the consulting occurred was because my other coteachers had fights with her.  And they were totally to do with their objections on how she addressed them and her attitude!!!!!!  If she hadn't have disturbed them nothing would be done.  All of her shittery would still be in motion *I just made up a word SHITTERY....not to be confused with FUCKERY~ haha

Like you said, it's funny how their judgement of me had to do with the fact that I couldn't speak Korean well enough for them....Which had NOTHING to do with anything.  Especially since they brought the Gepik coordinator with them. 

Personally I don't feel sorry for this coordinator.   This is the second encounter I have had with him *first was over the phone in dealing with the fact that my city was kicking a bunch of us out of our homes and not giving subsidies (the schools in my city kicked us out of our homes with less than 2 month's warning and said if we wanted to stay at our schools for the next year we would be rehired, provided that we didn't ask for rent from city hall the people who fund us)  If our schools could muster up the coin for subsidized rent, then we could stay.  Otherwise....basica lly a **** u...  Thankfully I had some money saved up, but mostly people left.

« Reply #159 on: July 28, 2021, 10:03:31 pm »
My main co-teacher, who is a contract worker, is so careful and polite and always takes extra caution when writing messages and asking something of other teachers so that she doesn't offend anyone in any way. The way your temporary co-teacher behaved is waaaay out of line! Before leaving Korea you should go to the doctor with the translated 9 pages of your report and ask for a medical note for sick leave due to the mental and emotional trauma that you have experienced due to this lady and ask your other co-teachers to back you up ( or ask for photocopies of their reports in Korean). Take the doctor-approved extra sick leave (doctors can provide notes for extended sick leave and the MOE has to follow it, I believe). Collect your last few paychecks peacefully and severance, and threaten to sue her for the emotional trauma that her bullying has caused youdamages that caused you. Also, if you can, with the help of your co-teacher write to the MOE and complain against the committee for their mistreatment and dismisal of the harrassment that you experienced.