Read 5512 times

Is it possible to quit doing after-school / extra class?
« on: May 20, 2011, 07:35:30 am »
I have two extra classes which met a total of 2 times a week for and HOUR each at the elementary school level.

One class which has 22 students registered I enjoy and am SUPPORTED by my co-teacher.

The other class I have 6-9 (students drop and add continuously) and my co-teacher barely does anything in that class. She does come usually, but is of no real help to me.

I would like to stop doing the after-school class with the teacher who doesn't help. The students have a wide range of English language ability and I am seriously thinking I might be better off trying to conduct two separate lessons for the same class or really digging deep to find something educational that will sprawl this small group with a vast difference in English language ability.

Honestly if I just had one after-school class I believe the class would be more enjoyable because I would be able to better commit myself to it and work harder for it.

I signed an additional contract to do the after-school classes, and I totally couldn't understand a thing it said because it was all in Korean.  ??? So not listening to my better judgment, I now do have a contractual obligation of sorts, but that contract was also signed by another NET at my school who has ended up only having one 20min period of after-school class because my lead co-teacher (the one I work after-school class with and does barely anything) didn't organize it properly. Anyhoo is there anyway I can give a extra-class 30 day notice of sorts? Or should I be focusing on begging the other NET, and potentially bribing?

• daveb
  • Super Waygook

• March 07, 2011, 10:08:52 am
Re: Is it possible to quit doing after-school / extra class?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 07:55:52 am »
You could try and quit, but your schools wouldn't be happy at all. You did sign a contract (that means a lot here and other parts of the world). Is it worth risking your relationship with you schools? I think not. How many more weeks are left of the term anyway? In my opinion, just see it through and think about the money... it' s not really hard work, either!

• helloana
  • Veteran

• September 08, 2010, 03:25:00 pm
    • Daegu, South Korea
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 08:04:29 am »
I had 3 after school classes with 10 students signed up in each but only half showed up. They couldn't understand a word that I said. It was really frustrating and after 3 months of trying to teach these classes without success--I told my head teacher that I didn't think my students were learning anything and asked if I could possibly teach another grade that I only see once a week. She accepted.

Maybe you could use the same argument?

• gini1825
  • Waygookin

• March 09, 2010, 02:28:46 pm
    • ulsan
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 08:24:42 am »
Yes, you can quit .. if you wok 22 hours a week .
That is your extra work .. if you want to quit, you can quit.. Obviousely your school will not be happy about it , so.. I think that you had better find someone who work instead of you.. that can make it easier~ I hope you can get out of that thing!!

• ame
  • Super Waygook

• December 02, 2010, 02:58:32 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 08:29:09 am »
I signed an additional contract to do the after-school classes, and I totally couldn't understand a thing it said because it was all in Korean.  ??? So not listening to my better judgment, I now do have a contractual obligation of sorts.

You signed a contract you didn't understand?  [mod edit - insult] I'm afraid you'll have to suck it up and work through it.  Your miserable experience will serve as a warning to others.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 08:40:21 am by daveyc18 »

• flukeriffic
  • Veteran

• March 03, 2011, 10:39:44 am
    • Daegu, South Korea
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 08:29:58 am »
Are you getting paid extra for these after-school classes? I have a few extra after-school classes and they are the classes I enjoy most. I can choose my own topic, and the extra money is always nice. As for your situation...all I can say is that you shouldn't have signed that contract. It will be extra hard to get out of the classes now :(

However, you teaching the majority of the extra classes while your other NET does barely anything is not fair at all. My school split the after-school classes b/t me and the other NET right down the middle. Your school should be doing the same! Talk to your lead co-teacher or other NET about the balance of work. If your NET is halfway decent, he/she should be willing to help you out.

• minamteacher
  • Expert Waygook

• October 05, 2010, 07:55:14 am
    • Incheon
    more
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 08:30:57 am »
I signed an additional contract to do the after-school classes, and I totally couldn't understand a thing it said because it was all in Korean.  ??? So not listening to my better judgment, I now do have a contractual obligation of sorts.

You signed a contract you didn't understand? I'm afraid you'll have to suck it up and work through it.  Your miserable experience will serve as a warning to others.

Wow, harsh much?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 09:07:38 pm by anna.rpo »

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 08:32:40 am »
Whoa, you have co-teachers in your after school classes?  That's awesome!

• kaymac
  • Super Waygook

• September 25, 2009, 03:53:47 am
    • Yeosu
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 08:33:42 am »
I had an afterschool class I was coming in to teach at night (at 7). We met about ten times and then finally I pulled the plug 'cause they weren't attending regularly and I was over coming in to school late. I wound up getting paid for the hours I had finished though.

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 08:34:40 am »

You signed a contract you didn't understand? I'm afraid you'll have to suck it up and work through it.  Your miserable experience will serve as a warning to others.

Wow, harsh much?

How was that comment they made harsh? It is telling the truth. It is foolish to sign a contract. If you sign a contract, you do the job. We aren't children anymore. Never sign anything you don't understand. It is so stupid to sign something you don't know. It could read, "I agree to work 50 after school classes for free." Anything can be in the contract and if you sign it, it is legally binding.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 09:08:26 pm by anna.rpo »

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 08:44:22 am »
I'd like to add that you should really try to fix any problems you have with the class instead of quitting the class altogether.  Not having an active coteacher isn't the end of an after school class -- there's some of us (a lot of us?) out there who have absolutely no coteacher in the room (or building) during after school classes (some of us don't have them in the morning, either), and they're doable.  Look at it this way: it's a chance for you to do whatever lesson you'd like with the kids and teach whatever way you want.  Six to nine kids is a great number, too.  That's small enough to where you can concentrate on the kids individually and really give them a good education.  Six is also just enough to play Cluedo, and you can make an English lesson out of playing Cluedo.

• ame
  • Super Waygook

• South Korea
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 08:46:20 am »
(entire mod edit for insulting another moderator)   :P
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 08:57:39 am by Ectofuego »

• w4z
  • Veteran

• November 30, 2010, 10:12:55 am
    • USA
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 08:55:31 am »
You're a lucky person to have after school with any co-teacher...

I have to teach 12 after school classes without a co-teacher.  My school is very small so they make up the low, during school hours with after school hours.  Then I teach 10 hours with a co-teacher.

You signed a contract.  Grit your teeth and bear it...

• helloana
  • Veteran

• September 08, 2010, 03:25:00 pm
    • Daegu, South Korea
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011, 08:58:38 am »
Well to be fair about signing a contract in Korea...it isn't as legally binding in Korea as it is in other countries. Haven't you seen all the posts about people saying their schools don't really honor their contract?

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, 08:59:17 am »
There's only 7 weeks left in the semester.  Finish the classes and just before summer break, tell your co-teacher that you will not continue doing the extra classes in the fall.  You can turn down extra classes that are above the 22 hours working for the 9 to 5 schedule and you can reject requests to do classes outside the 9 to 5 M/F schedule at will - 22 hours or not.

Since you agreed to the classes, at least finish up to the summer break.

• minamteacher
  • Expert Waygook

• October 05, 2010, 07:55:14 am
    • Incheon
    more
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2011, 09:52:12 am »

Wow, harsh much?

How was that comment they made harsh? It is telling the truth. It is foolish to sign a contract. If you sign a contract, you do the job. We aren't children anymore. Never sign anything you don't understand. It is so stupid to sign something you don't know. It could read, "I agree to work 50 after school classes for free." Anything can be in the contract and if you sign it, it is legally binding.

The advice may be sound, but the delivery was not exactly constructive.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 09:09:24 pm by anna.rpo »

• ame
  • Super Waygook

• South Korea
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2011, 09:55:10 am »

Wow, harsh much?

Sorry, I forgot, you are all precious snowflakes who must be coddled and protected at all costs.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 09:09:58 pm by anna.rpo »

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2011, 09:55:35 am »
everything is flexible, at least in my experience.  maybe you could ask your co-teacher how she feels about your class for starters.  maybe she has some input..?

and the contract is just something they will throw in your face if you upset them, its not binding like you mght think.  just talk it out with them.

i wish i had a co-teacher in my after school class.  that would be awesome, even if they just sat there.  as it is, if a fight breaks out, i can't do anything.

next time you sign a contract, read it first.  its best not to do anything foolish.

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2011, 11:31:31 am »

You signed a contract you didn't understand?  How foolish.  I'm afraid you'll have to suck it up and work through it.  Your miserable experience will serve as a warning to others.

Wow, harsh much?

Sorry, I forgot, you are all precious snowflakes who must be coddled and protected at all costs.

Hahaha! Has anyone seen the 'The Human Centipad' South Park episode? It stresses the importance of reading a contract. ;)

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2011, 12:24:13 pm »

You signed a contract you didn't understand?  [mod edit - insult] I'm afraid you'll have to suck it up and work through it.  Your miserable experience will serve as a warning to others.

This comment is spot on.
You signed the contract, so you should stick to it.
Doesn't even sound like the situation is that bad anyway,