Read 1708 times

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
So, I have these new coteachers at all my schools.  At least two of them are telling me I have to use up a vacation day if I take the school holiday the rest of them automatically get.  WTF kind of BS is this?  I swear less and less respect each and every year with more and more rules and still no pay raise.  Do they really want experienced teachers to leave?  They seem to want to keep pushing and pushing and pushing.  I did tell them what BS it is.  Ridiculous.  Complete utter trash and nonsense!!!!

I am really suppose to go in and sit by myself while every other teacher in the school has a day off?  I guess the education office really has no respect for us anymore. 

Re: We have to give up vacation days now to take a school holiday?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 12:06:32 pm »
We have to do this in my MOE too. This was introduced when they upped the number of vacation days we received each year.

• DocH
  • Adventurer

• March 01, 2021, 11:25:39 am
    • pub
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 12:13:40 pm »
So, I have these new coteachers at all my schools.  At least two of them are telling me I have to use up a vacation day if I take the school holiday the rest of them automatically get.  WTF kind of BS is this?  I swear less and less respect each and every year with more and more rules and still no pay raise. Do they really want experienced teachers to leave?  They seem to want to keep pushing and pushing and pushing.  I did tell them what BS it is.  Ridiculous.  Complete utter trash and nonsense!!!!

I am really suppose to go in and sit by myself while every other teacher in the school has a day off?  I guess the education office really has no respect for us anymore.

You heard this from your coteachers. 

What about the program coordinator?

Well....take a stand.  Tell them "NO".  .....or, say "NO...don't pay me for the day, I don't care.  I'm not going in".

OR.....go in, with the Big Breakfast from McDonalds (to-go) in hand.  Sit, eat...enjoy.  Afterwords, if there are tasks that you should get done, get them done...get ahead of the game.  You can always take Youtbe/Netflix/ESPN breaks but when lunch comes around, have some chicken/pizza delivered...phuck it, why not?  Get get up an any movies you've missed out on, get an article written to the Korea Times/Herald, touch up the classroom.....

Before you know it, it will be time to go home. 

The next morning, call in sick...tell them you had food poisoning.  What will they do?

• calla147
  • Newgookin

• June 27, 2019, 06:59:27 am
    • Korea
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 12:16:00 pm »
We have to do this in my MOE too. This was introduced when they upped the number of vacation days we received each year.

Right! In the past we had 18-20 paid vacation days but got school holidays and other incidental holidays off too without needing to use our paid vacation. But once they introduced that change and gave us an additional 6-8 days paid vacation days it was written in our contracts that we had to use those days to cover school holidays. But this happened a couple of years ago. Yes, it's kind of messed up we have to use our PTO for days off that the Korean teachers get but that's unfortunately "how the cookie crumbles".

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2021, 12:24:25 pm »
So, I have these new coteachers at all my schools.  At least two of them are telling me I have to use up a vacation day if I take the school holiday the rest of them automatically get.  WTF kind of BS is this?  I swear less and less respect each and every year with more and more rules and still no pay raise.  Do they really want experienced teachers to leave?  They seem to want to keep pushing and pushing and pushing.  I did tell them what BS it is.  Ridiculous.  Complete utter trash and nonsense!!!!

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when you tell them unless they need to use a vacation day, you're not going to use a vacation day.  They dodged a bullet since the foreigners in your area didn't get sent off for a corona test, but they can't avoid your wrath this time.  Make sure you come back here and tell us how it went.

• D.L.Orean
  • Super Waygook

• February 25, 2020, 09:34:41 am
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2021, 12:27:37 pm »

They expect you to use a vacation day and not go in. I thought this has been the policy for the last few years. It changed when vacation days increased and the renewal bonus vacation days were scrapped.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2021, 12:37:11 pm »
^ +1 What D.L.Orean said.
This was a pretty big deal a few years ago in our province when it was first implemented. What it basically boils down to is that there is no change for us renewing teachers (in Gyeongsangbukdo).

OLD SYSTEM: 18 days vacation + 5 days contract renewal bonus vacation days + 3 school discretionary holidays TOTAL = 26 days.
NEW SYSTEM: 26 days vacation.                                                                                                                                               TOTAL = 26 days.

The big winners are teachers who are doing their first year here. They get an additional 5 days. For the rest of us renewing teachers, nothing has changed. -- Unless you're lucky enough to have a school that decides (or doesnt know) not to have you use your vacation days for the school discretionary holidays. If that's the case, you get an extra 3 days vacation!  :smiley:

This is all wrt gyeongsandbukdo. I'm not exactly sure how things have changed for other provinces.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 12:40:27 pm by Kyndo »

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2021, 12:38:39 pm »

They introduced this in my area when they lowered vacation days too. :\

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• NZ
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2021, 12:40:41 pm »
This was a pretty big deal a few years ago in our province when it was first implemented. What it basically boils down to is that there is no change for us renewing teachers (in Gyeongsangbukdo).

OLD SYSTEM: 18 days vacation + 5 days contract renewal bonus vacation days + 3 school discretionary holidays TOTAL = 26 days.
NEW SYSTEM: 26 days vacation.                                                                                                                               TOTAL = 26 days.

The big winners are teachers who are doing their first year here. They get an additional 5 days. For the rest of us renewing teachers, nothing has changed. -- Unless you're lucky enough to have a school that decides (or doesnt know) not to have you use your vacation days for the school discretionary holidays. If that's the case, you get an extra 3 days vacation!

This is all wrt gyeongsandbukdo. I'm not exactly sure how things have changed for other provinces.

My Region was 32 days vacation + 5 renewal, and got dropped to the 26 days you mentioned with the nation wide change.
Technically weekends counted then and they don't now, which I think meant a gain of a couple days, however, my school just counted mon - fri, so it lowered my vacation time. :(

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2021, 12:44:58 pm »
They expect you to use a vacation day and not go in. I thought this has been the policy for the last few years. It changed when vacation days increased and the renewal bonus vacation days were scrapped.

I don't know about last year, time was missing due to coronavirus.  But two years ago and every year before I got the same school holidays that Korean teachers got.  What purpose does it serve to make me go in and sit there all day just for spite?  What does it do in the classroom to help the kids learn.  As for vacation days, I remember I use to get 10 days for renewing the contract and then they cut it down to 5.  Is this purpose just to hold it over us to show there are different classes of people?  Again, I fail to understand why we can't just take the day off like the rest of the school?  It's not like they're not all off all winter and summer vacation anyways?  This is another form of disrespect and spite towards us. 

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2021, 12:46:35 pm »
My Region was 32 days vacation + 5 renewal, and got dropped to the 26 days you mentioned with the nation wide change.
Yeah, they were trying to balance out the differences between provinces, I guess. I heard that Gangwon-do got an especially crappy deal.  :sad:
I'm happy though: my province stayed the same, and my school doesn't could discretionary holidays against my vacation days, so I come out 3 days ahead!  :azn:

As for vacation days, I remember I use to get 10 days for renewing the contract and then they cut it down to 5.
I remember that too. Those were the good old days!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 12:48:13 pm by Kyndo »

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2021, 02:09:44 pm »
You could always just ask your VP "Since I'll be here alone, what electronics, systems, and other things will I have to turn on so we are following regulations?"

Wait 15 minutes, you'll be given the day off, gratis.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2021, 07:52:48 am »
What electronics are those?  I turn on my computer each day.  I don't use anything else.  Not sure what this means.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2021, 08:10:12 am »
I'm guessing things like the office lights, air con/heater, computers, security systems and intercom (for alarms).
Some schools also turn off the gas on days without students or staff.

That said, I think that most larger schools always have somebody there (besides the NET), even on holidays.

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2021, 08:31:25 am »
What electronics are those?  I turn on my computer each day.  I don't use anything else.  Not sure what this means.

Been working here longer than any other Korean teacher but whenever they leave before I do, they will often say "remember to turn off the lights, computer and close the windows."

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2021, 09:22:21 am »
Grin, nod, and remind them to signal when they pull out of the school parking lot.  :smiley:

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2021, 11:04:43 am »
I'm guessing things like the office lights, air con/heater, computers, security systems and intercom (for alarms).

That said, I think that most larger schools always have somebody there (besides the NET), even on holidays.
Yup. Use the rule book to batter them until they realize that the best thing is a mutual wink wink nod nod.

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2021, 12:12:37 pm »

NEW SYSTEM: 26 days vacation.                                                                                                                                               TOTAL = 26 days.

The big winners are teachers who are doing their first year here. They get an additional 5 days. For the rest of us renewing teachers, nothing has changed. -- Unless you're lucky enough to have a school that decides (or doesnt know) not to have you use your vacation days for the school discretionary holidays. If that's the case, you get an extra 3 days vacation!  :smiley:

Just wish that would have honored the last of us with the renewal bonus days that were on a contract signed by us and the POE/MOEs....cause I mean last time I checked changes to the contract that have already been signed would be subject to our agreement, no?

Like allow all the aug contracts the extra 5 days on top because it was in the contract and then they know for the next contract that its not available. ....

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• NZ
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2021, 12:15:38 pm »
Just wish that would have honored the last of us with the renewal bonus days that were on a contract signed by us and the POE/MOEs....cause I mean last time I checked changes to the contract that have already been signed would be subject to our agreement, no?

Like allow all the aug contracts the extra 5 days on top because it was in the contract and then they know for the next contract that its not available. ....

Jeollanamdo got that, they honored the 5 renewal days from the contract before the new one. :o

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2021, 12:17:11 pm »

If it was hot and no air con or gold and no heat, they'd either turn it on for me or I'd go home.  Their choice.  About 6 or 9 years ago, the contracts started getting bad quite honestly, but it seems like only lately out in the provinces are they enforcing it and putting these lams add ons plus some local province specific things and no pay raise.  They must want their experienced teachers to leave.