Read 3537 times

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
Did we just give up on corona prevention - social distancing?  All my coteachers at all of my schools this year want to play the old games pass the ball etc.  They also do surveys and other group activities where students gather together.   When I talk about corona and social distancing they look like they don't know what I'm talking about.  Teachers hand out sheets to front students and they touch and pass the papers back to each other.  Except for being masked up, all the procedures from last year seem to be out the window except a couple of schools still have the plexi glass on the tables.

So, did the education office and the government get rid of social distancing and other rules and not tell me?  I still run my classes as social distancing and limiting the activities I can play but it seems to be creating some conflict with some stunned teachers.  One even videoed a class for parents and played pass the ball activity where all kids touched the ball.  Again, am I missing something?  Are corona rules gone now?

• shostager
  • Super Waygook

• November 06, 2012, 06:08:10 am
Re: Did we just give up on corona prevention - social distancing?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 01:55:31 pm »
I just got a message from my school, asking us to keep masks on at all times, try not to talk (in...conversation class?), keep 2m apart (the desks don't seem to be 2m apart though...), and don't give the students any food to eat in school. The rules are definitely still there, although students sometimes act as though they aren't...

I'm surprised your co-teachers are that lax already.

• nightninja
  • Expert Waygook

• April 02, 2018, 03:20:32 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 03:10:32 pm »
my schools still follow the rules for the  most part, but of course the kids don't during break times when the teachers arent around.....

It really makes me wonder ...... went to a soccer game once with my husband....we.....r ode in the same car and umm.....live in the same house....but we must social distance at the game.....I ask him why this is necessary as obviously families and close friends live/came together etc.....he says its just how it is and to not get angry about it....wasnt angry but just confused as to how it made any sense....anyway was sitting right next to him and this lady yells at me to move (not staff) and i wouldnt move....so he moves.....during half time her and her whole family are together....now either she was scared of the foreigner or......i dunno....laugh about it and tell my husband its funny that people are such hypocrites (not Koreans, but people in general) and he says well its half time..............s o I can't get corona because its half time?!?!?

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2021, 03:15:41 pm »
my schools still follow the rules for the  most part, but of course the kids don't during break times when the teachers arent around.....

It really makes me wonder ...... went to a soccer game once with my husband....we.....r ode in the same car and umm.....live in the same house....but we must social distance at the game.....I ask him why this is necessary as obviously families and close friends live/came together etc.....he says its just how it is and to not get angry about it....wasnt angry but just confused as to how it made any sense....anyway was sitting right next to him and this lady yells at me to move (not staff) and i wouldnt move....so he moves.....during half time her and her whole family are together....now either she was scared of the foreigner or......i dunno....laugh about it and tell my husband its funny that people are such hypocrites (not Koreans, but people in general) and he says well its half time..............s o I can't get corona because its half time?!?!?

Yeah, same at the cinema. (Not now, but 2 or 3 months ago). Every single seat is spaced out. Uhhh, why? You can buy 2 tickets at the same time...... The closer my gf and I are together, the MORE distance we put between US and everyone else............... haha

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2021, 03:22:18 pm »
I just got a message from my school, asking us to keep masks on at all times, try not to talk (in...conversation class?), keep 2m apart (the desks don't seem to be 2m apart though...), and don't give the students any food to eat in school. The rules are definitely still there, although students sometimes act as though they aren't...

I'm surprised your co-teachers are that lax already.

Yeah some of them argued with me lightly wanting to do the old games and activities.  I was surprised.  I do take off the mask social distanced in a small room or outdoors by myself cause I need to get it off sometimes.  But I take all other precautions including wear in class. 

• leaponover
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 12:08:16 pm
    • Iksan, S. Korea
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2021, 06:03:06 pm »
I think at this point the country is rebelling a bit because Moon messed up so badly getting vaccines.  They are at the point now where they don't think Moon will work harder unless the numbers start to go back up.  They don't want to make it easy on Moon.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2021, 06:10:02 pm »
Vaccinations given in the US - almost 200 million.

Vaccinations given worldwide - almost one billion.

Vaccinations given in South Korea... not many. (Less than one one thousandth of the population is fully vaccinated.)

• DocH
  • Veteran

• March 01, 2021, 11:25:39 am
    • pub
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2021, 10:54:47 pm »
Vaccinations given in the US - almost 200 million.

Vaccinations given worldwide - almost one billion.

Vaccinations given in South Korea... not many. (Less than one one thousandth of the population is fully vaccinated.)

Is this because Koreans don't want it?

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2021, 05:54:48 am »
The current decision to just extend the current guidelines given that cases are at their highest for months suggests that the Government are scared at enacting tough decisions to get the infection rate under control.

• T.J.
  • Super Waygook

• June 09, 2011, 11:07:16 am
    • 서울 은평구 연신내
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2021, 08:59:35 am »
Is this because Koreans don't want it?

It's a supply problem. No good deed shall go unpunished.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-southkorea-vaccine-idUSKBN2BO5BZ
"An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock."

-Will Rogers

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2021, 09:27:38 am »
If there's not enough supply, can't Korea make vaccines in a factory? So many vaccines brands in the world now. It'd be good partner and use manpower and resources to make the world a better place. First Koreans could get the vaccines, then the extra after that could be sold to other countries.

• T.J.
  • Super Waygook

• June 09, 2011, 11:07:16 am
    • 서울 은평구 연신내
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2021, 09:46:18 am »
Domestic production has always been a part of the overall plan and is being implemented. Good article here regarding the benefits of domestic production as well as some of the challenges in getting production going.

https://thediplomat.com/2021/02/why-south-korea-still-hasnt-vaccinated-anyone/
"An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock."

-Will Rogers

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2021, 07:12:33 am »
Not to be pedantic, but at the time of this quote, 59,422 people were fully vaccinated. That' approximately 0.115%, which is over one thousandth of the population.   :laugh:
[source]

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2021, 07:48:27 am »
So three days ago when I wrote that it was under one in a thousand, but now itís over one in a thousand (barely). Yay! Koreaís making progress!

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2021, 07:52:53 am »
So three days ago when I wrote that it was under one in a thousand, but now itís over one in a thousand (barely). Yay! Koreaís making progress!
Not to out-pedantic Kyndo (oh, if only I could!) but the reference he provided shows clearly that 3 days ago, on April 9, 0.115% of the population had been fully vaccinated.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2021, 08:07:13 am »

Sometimes the latest info is not from the same day. So if someone searched April 9th, they might get stats as of April 7th.

For April 12th, today, the latest stats are as of April 10th.

OK, so it's one out of a thousand Koreans who have been fully vaccinated.

Is that good?

How many Koreans do you know who got a shot? Zero?

How many people overall do you know who got a shot? Probably a lot. (In the US at least.)

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2021, 08:37:34 am »
It's a supply problem.

It's a demand problem as well. Koreans want to wait until countries are fully vaccinated then wait a while more to see if there are any side effects. That's some Koreans, not all, but many are hesitant to take the vaccine before knowing for sure how safe it is. Which is foolish in my opinion. Almost a billion vaccinations. It's safe!

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2021, 08:41:56 am »
How long until we get vaccinated?

Looks like summer vacation abroad ain't gonna happen this year, and maybe winter 2022 as well.

Maybe we American citizens can ask to get a vaccination at an army base (or somewhere else) once every American who wanted it in the US has gotten it?

Write to our congressmen asking for help?

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2021, 09:24:47 am »
Nonono!!!!! Read my comment again. According to the timestamp, on the day you posted, it was over .1% ! By an entire 0.015%. 0.015%!!!
That's like... by more than 1 person!!!

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2021, 09:35:26 am »
When I searched online April 9th, April 7th was the latest stats. For today, April 12th, April 10th info is the most recent. On the day I posted, the stats from that very day weren't available. South Korea actually is making progress day by day. That's good news. On April 7th, 42K were fully vaccinated. By April 10th, 60K. That actually is a pretty big jump. Well, percentage wise at least. A few thousand a day is a heck of a lot better than nothing. Just a lot slower than the USA, which is vaccinating a few million a day.