Read 665 times

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
Dumbest Ideas You've Heard in Korea
« on: April 14, 2021, 11:38:20 am »
So, I shared an anecdote  here https://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=121921.msg856283#msg856283 about a family dinner conversation class that I had heard of.

I have another one. I used to teach in Gunpo. Gunpo, at one time, had many native teachers. That's not good. We're costly! We demand housing!

:-[ "So what to do.............. Aha! There's the Gunpo Global Education Center!" Shown here

:smiley: "They have a dormitory there. Let's cancel the teacher's apartments and housing allowances and put them in here."

25 of us. In a shared dorm with shared kitchens and common areas. Like, I love a lot of my friends, but I don't want to FUCKKING SHARE A KITCHEN WITH THEM. HOLY HELL.

Also, a lot of the teachers are married, they have FUCKKING CHILDREN. Stop pretending that we're 20 years old and broke. We're TEACHERS FFS.

All the teachers threatened to walk because OBVIOUSLY. Whose idea was this at City Hall?

A total idiot. That's who.

So, what ideas has your city/school/co-teachers had that was totally ridiculous? Did it come to fruition? Then what? Tell us!

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
Re: Dumbest Ideas You've Heard in Korea
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 11:48:04 am »
So, I shared an anecdote  here https://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=121921.msg856283#msg856283 about a family dinner conversation class that I had heard of.

I have another one. I used to teach in Gunpo. Gunpo, at one time, had many native teachers. That's not good. We're costly! We demand housing!

:-[ "So what to do.............. Aha! There's the Gunpo Global Education Center!" Shown here

:smiley: "They have a dormitory there. Let's cancel the teacher's apartments and housing allowances and put them in here."

25 of us. In a shared dorm with shared kitchens and common areas. Like, I love a lot of my friends, but I don't want to FUCKKING SHARE A KITCHEN WITH THEM. HOLY HELL.

Also, a lot of the teachers are married, they have FUCKKING CHILDREN. Stop pretending that we're 20 years old and broke. We're TEACHERS FFS.

All the teachers threatened to walk because OBVIOUSLY. Whose idea was this at City Hall?

A total idiot. That's who.

So, what ideas has your city/school/co-teachers had that was totally ridiculous? Did it come to fruition? Then what? Tell us!

Really?  That must have been a disaster.  What about all the people with their own housing?  Did that go through?  I know that Global Center has been a bust and just sits empty, but that would've been reason to walk living up there.  That being said, I do know that some of the teachers that worked for the Global Education Center when it was still functioning a number of years back liked it.  I guess they had nice enough facilities to do weekend BBQs and drinks when the weather allowed.  I would've hated it myself.  I did go up for a couple of BBQs, though. 

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2021, 11:59:21 am »
What about all the people with their own housing?  Did that go through? 
Exactly. What about those people. You know, married people who have a LIFE.

The whole thing got quietly erased from everyone's minds and was never spoken of again.

I really hope the idea-master got a good bollocking. Honestly.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2021, 12:19:02 pm »
Bringing up the fact on a waygook thread that the current standard monthly salary for a new NET in Korea is 2.1 million won.
 :lipsrsealed:

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• Anyang
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2021, 12:41:10 pm »
A few years ago, the current city I teach for had the wonderful idea to have an English Festival type thing at a new facility built out of the way up on a hill.  There would be a number of families with their kids and a memo was sent around that there would be space for about 16 NETs to join this full day event on a Saturday.  This new facility also has accommodation and the foreigners would be allowed to stay the night if they so wished.  They were offering 0 won in remuneration for this all day Saturday event and couldn't even clarify what duties you would have.  One person amazingly signed up.  Then the co-teacher approached me a few days before the event and said because no one (except oddball) was volunteering they were now offering 160,000W for the day.  Filled up pretty quickly I think after that.  That's a pretty good deal. I didn't go because even after my co-teacher called to ask, we couldn't figure out what exactly we were supposed to do.  I decided I didn't need the money so I'd play it safe. 

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2021, 12:43:14 pm »
couldn't even clarify what duties you would have.   
we couldn't figure out what exactly we were supposed to do.

:-* "Okay, entertain the children for 6 hours! GO!"

:huh:

• D.L.Orean
  • Expert Waygook

• February 25, 2020, 09:34:41 am
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2021, 01:03:13 pm »
  I decided I didn't need the money so I'd play it safe.

I hope you forwarded the offer to Hangook77.

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• Anyang
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2021, 01:49:21 pm »
I hope you forwarded the offer to Hangook77.

Unfortunately, I didn't know of his plight back then, or I would've let him stand in for me and split the money.