Read 894 times

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
Paying for Parking
« on: March 24, 2021, 08:39:26 am »
I have seen people parking virtually ANYWHERE for 18 years here.

I have always lived in towns not cities so I swallowed the hourly rates when parking in Seoul. Ugh.

But today, the first time, a woman in this town (not a city) approached me coming out of a 7/11 I'd spent less than two minutes in, and she had her hand out for money for parking (I'd parked my vehicle in that exact spot once or twice a week since 2017).

I was offended. Pissed. I dropped my first f bomb locally today, it being a pet peeve of cities these days (NO ONE worked as parking attendant pre-2008 - only gov't workers).

Re: Paying for Parking
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 09:36:37 am »
Wow tough guy swearing at an old lady doing her job. There are better ways to save 500won.

#stopasianhate

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 10:13:49 am »
They started charging for parking on the 3 main shopping streets where I live, about 6 years ago. Parking wardens (old people) have about a 100m stretch of road each to patrol, and they just sit and wait for cars to pull up. They write down your number plate and time. Everyone gets a 10 minute grace period, then it's 500w for every 30 minutes. Pretty cheap and really fair. Never heard anyone complain. The parking fees in part, also give the retired people a little money and something to do. There are 100 better things to get pissed off and offended about.

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 10:23:09 am »
They started charging for parking on the 3 main shopping streets where I live, about 6 years ago. Parking wardens (old people) have about a 100m stretch of road each to patrol, and they just sit and wait for cars to pull up. They write down your number plate and time. Everyone gets a 10 minute grace period, then it's 500w for every 30 minutes. Pretty cheap and really fair. Never heard anyone complain. The parking fees in part, also give the retired people a little money and something to do. There are 100 better things to get pissed off and offended about.

Take it from a South African, if this is a sign of things to come things are about to get a lot worse.

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2021, 10:29:26 am »
Aristocrat. Sorry, I'm a little slow on the up take this morning. Not quite sure what you mean!

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2021, 11:28:17 am »
Aristocrat. Sorry, I'm a little slow on the up take this morning. Not quite sure what you mean!

Every single parking space in Cape Town is patrolled by these "parking guards" bumming everyone for money. Some of them serve a purpose and some parking should be paid for, but not every damn spot. You even have to pay for parking at the public hospital.

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2021, 12:00:10 pm »
Okay, thanks. Yeah, the country town where I live, only has the 3 main shopping streets patrolled, and only 9-4 pm. The rest of town is all free. Most of the shopping is in and out, and the rest like buying a new pair of shoes or some pants can be done easily in half an hour or so. I think they started charging because non shoppers used to park their cars and disappear, leaving no spaces for genuine shoppers.

• pkjh
  • The Legend

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
    • Asia
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2021, 12:02:46 pm »
If the area is a paid parking area, there will be signs indicating it (in Korean though). Usually near government buildings. And the parking attendants are supposed be in some kind of uniform, like wearing a city cap, and carry those remote credit card pos devices, or something. Otherwise you don't have to pay.

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2021, 01:31:14 pm »
Every single parking space in Cape Town is patrolled by these "parking guards" bumming everyone for money. Some of them serve a purpose and some parking should be paid for, but not every damn spot. You even have to pay for parking at the public hospital.
This isn't like that. These are government employees enforcing parking in designated zones.

• SPQR
  • Expert Waygook

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Canada
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2021, 01:37:01 pm »
Take it from a South African, if this is a sign of things to come things are about to get a lot worse.

Yeah, like South Africans know.

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2021, 01:44:48 pm »
Yeah, like South Africans know.

Go directly to China! Do not pass Japan, do not talk to "way haaawt skinny C-girls"

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2021, 01:47:29 pm »
This isn't like that. These are government employees enforcing parking in designated zones.

Hopefully it stays that way. I'm all for these poor old foggies supplementing their meagre earnings from recycling cardboard and drugs really aren't a thing here. I just hope it doesn't spill over to every damn corner like it did back home.

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2021, 02:32:19 pm »
Go directly to China! Do not pass Japan, do not talk to "way haaawt skinny C-girls"
out of all the burns i've read on this site this is definitely one of my favorites. and tbh i was surprised at who posted it too

more gg more skill

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2021, 02:38:37 pm »
Hopefully it stays that way. I'm all for these poor old foggies supplementing their meagre earnings from recycling cardboard and drugs really aren't a thing here. I just hope it doesn't spill over to every damn corner like it did back home.
No, it won't. This is simply the government hiring parking attendants and most of them being old people. This isn't some sort of low-key extortion racket and thankfully there's zero reason to draw any connection.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2021, 04:05:18 pm »
Reminds me of that old London Times article:

"A Well-Planned Retirement:

Outside England s Bristol Zoo there is a parking lot for 150 cars and 8 buses. For 25 years, its parking fees were managed by a very pleasant attendant.

The fees for cars ($1.40), for buses (about $7).

Then, one day, after 25 solid years of never missing a day of work, he just didnt show up; so the zoo management called the city council and asked it to send them another parking agent.

The council did some research and replied that the parking lot was the zoos own responsibility. The zoo advised the council that the attendant was a city employee.

The city council responded that the lot attendant had never been on the city payroll.

Meanwhile, sitting in his villa somewhere on the coast of Spain or France or Italy is a man whod apparently had a ticket machine installed completely on his own and then had simply begun to show up every day, commencing to collect and keep the parking fees, estimated at about $560 per day for 25 years.

Assuming 7 days a week, this amounts to just over $7 million dollars and no one even knows his name
."

:laugh:

• SPQR
  • Expert Waygook

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Canada
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2021, 07:46:48 pm »
Reminds me of that old London Times article:

"A Well-Planned Retirement:

Outside England s Bristol Zoo there is a parking lot for 150 cars and 8 buses. For 25 years, its parking fees were managed by a very pleasant attendant.

The fees for cars ($1.40), for buses (about $7).

Then, one day, after 25 solid years of never missing a day of work, he just didnt show up; so the zoo management called the city council and asked it to send them another parking agent.

The council did some research and replied that the parking lot was the zoos own responsibility. The zoo advised the council that the attendant was a city employee.

The city council responded that the lot attendant had never been on the city payroll.

Meanwhile, sitting in his villa somewhere on the coast of Spain or France or Italy is a man whod apparently had a ticket machine installed completely on his own and then had simply begun to show up every day, commencing to collect and keep the parking fees, estimated at about $560 per day for 25 years.

Assuming 7 days a week, this amounts to just over $7 million dollars and no one even knows his name
."

Apparently this story isn't true.  Great yarn, though.

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh: :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh: :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh: :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh: :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh: :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh: :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh: :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2021, 09:07:45 pm »
Yeah, it's the zoo parking lot and no one notices that there's zero income from the parking fees over decades?

Nope.
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• KimDuHan
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 15, 2015, 11:48:59 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2021, 05:27:30 am »
In 2014 my town charged for parking, the parking guy would mark your tire and keep going up and down the street on a bike waiting for people to leave. Some people would pay but most just left without stopping or paying.

Not sure of the consequences but seems like it was a shady business.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu County, Taiwan (not part of China)
    more
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2021, 08:22:12 am »
As Aristocat said, it is hectic in Cape Town. I worked in the city centre for a while before heading to Korea and man they were anal about parking. We have things called loading zones and you are permitted to park there for a short time while offloading stuff (in theory anyway). I parked there to drop off a computer at the office I was working in and when I got back there was a parking ticket attached to my windscreen ( I was literally 3 minutes). I decided to go to the traffic office to get an explanation. Their explanation - you were driving a car, not a delivery truck.    >:(

No choice but to cough up the cash.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2021, 08:57:48 am »
I have seen people parking virtually ANYWHERE for 18 years here.

I have always lived in towns not cities so I swallowed the hourly rates when parking in Seoul. Ugh.

But today, the first time, a woman in this town (not a city) approached me coming out of a 7/11 I'd spent less than two minutes in, and she had her hand out for money for parking (I'd parked my vehicle in that exact spot once or twice a week since 2017).

I was offended. Pissed. I dropped my first f bomb locally today, it being a pet peeve of cities these days (NO ONE worked as parking attendant pre-2008 - only gov't workers).

Some small towns are beginning to get this way because of the crowding caused by all these vehicles on the road, and
the further lack of parking spaces.