Read 9250 times

Re: Purchasing Dr. Seuss books for school library-fighting cancel culture
« Reply #180 on: April 14, 2021, 01:39:53 pm »
"Well, Trump is bad but so are other people, too." What a weak and pathetic argument.
Actually, the issue was whether Trump paying $180K in Chinese taxes vs. the claimed $750 by Mr. C constituted anything suspicious or unethical. After reviewing the record, not only did Mr. C likely willfully conflate the time periods, he also apparently deliberately ignored the fact that Trump averaged over $1.8 million per year during the period that the Chinese taxes were taking place. Why he engaged in this apparently intentional deception is unknown, though if it was him making the call about someone he disagreed with who did the same thing, he would no doubt assume some sort of character defect and nefarious intent.

It is therefore reasonable to see whether Trump's actions in China and indeed, his broader real estate empire, constitute anything particularly outside the realm of standard business practice. By all accounts, such corruption and practices are endemic in the vast majority of countries and are simply a cost of doing business.

Pointing this fact out is not whataboutism, it is called context.
Join the DeMart Fan Club!
Shout out to WhenInRome... the first member. Thank you my son!

« Reply #181 on: April 14, 2021, 01:50:51 pm »
It's interesting, this question.  So I went to this page:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_federal_politicians_convicted_of_crimes
and counted up.  Since I really first became aware of politics, during the Nixon Era, watching the Watergate hearings on TV during Mr. Goodwin's 7th grade social studies class, until now, it looks pretty even.

But when you focus on the 21st century, i.e., the GW Bush administration to the present, I counted 23 Republicans convicted, but only 9 Dems. 

Of course, that's the ones that got caught and convicted, not just "skirting the law and being unethical".  But of course Matt Gaetz didn't do anything wrong, he's just being pursued by <ominous voice> The Deeeeep State-ate-ate-ate.
A lack of convictions does not equal that they are ethical and honest. What do you think that the parking enforcement by Bloomberg and then DeBlasio was all about "greening up the city"? It was a shakedown racket on the delivery companies. They'd literally have meter maids follow Coca-Cola trucks or whatever from stop to stop and print them out a ticket every time. Then some Coca-Cola rep takes a giant mound of tickets into court every month and settles for like $75k. Then the Pepsi guy comes in. Then the Hostess truck.

I don't think you get how much of government is a complete and utter legalized racket. Seriously, WTF do you think was going on with NYC real estate in the 80s?

Anyways- Did you willfully omit the fact that he had an average tax bill of $1.8 million over 18 years when you threw out the $750? Or did you willfully omit the fact that the time he paid taxes in China was the same time covered for the China payments is also that period that includes the average tax bill of $1.8 million? The $750 isn't even during the same time period as the China taxes, so that is a misrepresentation of the situation.

What is it Mr. C?

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #182 on: April 14, 2021, 05:54:44 pm »
A lack of convictions does not equal that they are ethical and honest. What do you think that the parking enforcement by Bloomberg and then DeBlasio was all about "greening up the city"? It was a shakedown racket on the delivery companies. They'd literally have meter maids follow Coca-Cola trucks or whatever from stop to stop and print them out a ticket every time. Then some Coca-Cola rep takes a giant mound of tickets into court every month and settles for like $75k. Then the Pepsi guy comes in. Then the Hostess truck.

I can't imagine what on earth you think this has to do with anything.  But it does seem like reasonable enforcement activity to target those who egregiously break, even flout, the laws, if Coke trucks are doing as you describe.  If you don't like something like that, try to change the law, right?

I don't think you get how much of government is a complete and utter legalized racket. Seriously, WTF do you think was going on with NYC real estate in the 80s?

Again, this is unrelated to the matter of actual illegal activity by government officials.  I don't think you get how much experience of the world I have, not being some wet-behind-the-ears twenty year old, and I don't think you should speak so disrespectfully to your superiors.  The fact that you have a bitter, miserable life full of insult, deceit and distrust reflects on you, my man, not on me. 

Anyways- Did you willfully omit the fact that he had an average tax bill of $1.8 million over 18 years when you threw out the $750? Or did you willfully omit the fact that the time he paid taxes in China was the same time covered for the China payments is also that period that includes the average tax bill of $1.8 million? The $750 isn't even during the same time period as the China taxes, so that is a misrepresentation of the situation.

What is it Mr. C?

The truth is I read the story about the taxes in the US vs China at several sites, and re-looking now, some of them did give dates as you describe.  But, frankly, I don't see how that really moots the point, especially as we actually have no idea about Trump's income and taxes, as he has never released his taxes and his companies are notoriously tight-lipped.  I didn't lie, and I wasn't being intentionally disingenuous.

"Biden does not have financial ties to China. We know this because he released his tax returns. Trump has not released his tax returns. But the New York Times has obtained at least some of them. And they found that Trump has a Chinese bank account, and suggest he has collected earnings from that country while serving as president.
The Chinese bank account belongs to Trumpís subsidiary firm, Trump International Hotels Management. While in previous years the firm has reported small sums, in 2017 ó Trumpís first year in office ó it reported $17.5 million in revenue, a large spike.
The returns obtained by the Times do not show how much of that money came from China. The Trump Organization refuses to say. But the dealings it found suggest a massive conflict of interest between his foreign policy and his wallet."
-- https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/10/trump-secret-chinese-bank-account-hunter-biden-tax-returns.html

Here are a couple of quotes that you could use as mantras to help yourself become a happier person:

Pay the thunder no mind; listen to the birds. -Eubie Blake
Everything will be all right in the end. If it's not all right, it is not yet the end. -Sonny Kapoor, in The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

« Reply #183 on: April 14, 2021, 08:58:20 pm »
I can't imagine what on earth you think this has to do with anything.  But it does seem like reasonable enforcement activity to target those who egregiously break, even flout, the laws, if Coke trucks are doing as you describe.  If you don't like something like that, try to change the law, right?
It wasn't a law. Do you know what would happen in NYC if trucks didn't break the law? Commerce would grind to a halt. It's like Korea. Everyone bitches about delivery cars on sidewalks, but if they weren't there, you literally would see a complete breakdown in the supply chain. Everyone knows it's just a game. Basically it's the city asking the delivery companies to pay them protection money.

It's like the cops and courts that effectively serve as "toll enforcers" for out of towners who pass through their town and get ticketed. It's just a racket.

Again, this is unrelated to the matter of actual illegal activity by government officials.  I don't think you get how much experience of the world I have, not being some wet-behind-the-ears twenty year old, and I don't think you should speak so disrespectfully to your superiors.  The fact that you have a bitter, miserable life full of insult, deceit and distrust reflects on you, my man, not on me.
What makes you my f*cking superior? Dude, the level of f*cking ego here. Of course you must be superior, no chance you're possibly wrong. I mean, you can't even tell the difference between an error or a misconception and a lie, but hey, you've got your finger on the pulse of things.

Anyways, you should know better. You should know what utter scumbags politicians are, left and right. You should know what an utter joke much of the court system is. Same with the tax code. Same with campaign finance laws and donations to politicians.  But instead you talk as though it's some sort of Frank Capra kind of world out there, just ruined by this danged evil Republicans.

Anyways, it's waygook.org and we have backs and forths. If you say I'm miserable, I'll say that ever since Trump came around and you started arguing politics, you have become miserable. Any other topic you're usually fair and patient. But Trump and politics? You've completely lost the plot. You take things personal and assume horrible things about the person disagreeing with you. You view this as some sort of good vs. evil life or death struggle instead of a family squabble. And you have lost all sense of fairness and objectivity. You will believe anything no matter how ridiculous as long as it's negative about the other side, and hold them to completely different standards than those on your own "side". Congrats Mr. C- You're miserable too! Now that we have acknowledged it, maybe instead of being rancorous we can have some fun.

But, frankly, I don't see how that really moots the point, especially as we actually have no idea about Trump's income and taxes, as he has never released his taxes and his companies are notoriously tight-lipped.  I didn't lie, and I wasn't being intentionally disingenuous.
No. YOU. LIE. The dates are all there. You deliberately compared Chinese taxes paid by Trump during an earlier period to Trump's taxes while he was campaigning and then in office. Why didn't you compare taxes for the same years? Because that's what you do- twist and hide everything. YOU. LiE.

I'm going to use your same tactics against you until you yourself see their own fault. Apply the same standard to yourself that you applied to me (Keep, in mind I don't genuinely think you lied. I think you just made an error. Maybe next time instead of saying "You lie" you can maybe stop and think that it might be an error instead. I genuinely want to see you improve as a person, to understand that there is much more grey to this world and that there are different ways of looking at things which aren't wrong, just different.

You can start by trying to be fair and argue from a point of fairness. Try to be a little bit more fair to those you disagree with or dislike. In case you haven't noticed, I constantly try to do that here. Lets say you are more honest. Okay great. But there's also the idea of fairness and perhaps you aren't being as fair as you could be.

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #184 on: April 14, 2021, 10:16:22 pm »

What makes you my f*cking superior? Dude, the level of f*cking ego here.

What a sad little dong-saeng you are. 

I am older than you.  And in Korea that makes me your superior.  You defend Korean culture to the nth degree, don't let it fail you now, when you have a chance to call BS on it ...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 10:18:32 pm by Mr C »

« Reply #185 on: April 14, 2021, 11:38:44 pm »
What a sad little dong-saeng you are. 

I am older than you.  And in Korea that makes me your superior.  You defend Korean culture to the nth degree, don't let it fail you now, when you have a chance to call BS on it ...
Nice. Another "lie." I haven't defended Korean culture to the Nth degree. I defend their right to live by their cultural norms and not have me dictate them to them, just as they should not dictate their norms to me if they were in my country. I'm sorry you can't understand that concept. Sadly, many others can't either.

I live by my own norms.

Mr. C, you talk a big game, but when push comes to shove, all of that goes away. Remember when we debated about classroom management and how you said you'd always be respectful and could handle any situation and establish respect? Just a bunch of smoke I guess. It just all went "poof" with that last post.

Seriously man, I think you need to step away from the politics. It is turning you into someone I don't think you want to be. Look at your posts and the way you spoke to people pre-Trump and now post-Trump. Seriously dude, go back and scroll through.

This comment wasn't that bad. You really flew off the handle over it.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 11:42:16 pm by Mr.DeMartino »

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #186 on: April 15, 2021, 07:39:02 am »
this has definitely been one of the top 10 worst anime battles of waygook
more gg more skill

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #187 on: April 15, 2021, 08:26:05 am »
this has definitely been one of the top 10 worst anime battles of waygook

What's the anime character that has a multitude of voices in their head all talking BS over each other?

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #188 on: April 15, 2021, 08:42:43 am »
What's the anime character that has a multitude of voices in their head all talking BS over each other?
wasn't there a pixar movie about that

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #189 on: April 15, 2021, 08:53:56 am »
Inside Out?

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #190 on: April 15, 2021, 09:04:24 am »
yeah that one
didn't watch it, but i saw a horrid knock-off version of the characters in one of my textbooks, lol

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #191 on: April 23, 2021, 09:48:12 am »

What is it Mr. C?

You only get prosecuted and convicted if you piss off the elites.  That New York governor Spitzer as an example.  He was a Democrat who went after corruption and was probably a good guy in some areas, minus some questionable personal choices.  But you know the elites in business and politics have done far far worse and have paid much less of a price and usually no price.  If you cross the elites, your life is going under the microscope.  If it works for them, it doesn't.  So arrests and convictions per party mean nothing.  We all know there is far more going on.  Epstein is the tip of the iceberg.  Former Speaker Dennis Hastert was a Republican and a pedo, it seems.  But he was protected and probably blackmailed while House Speaker, I am sure.  It only came out years later and only after he was long gone from office.  I think he still got a slap on the wrist.  He probably went to Epstein's pedo island.  I wouldn't be surprised.  While I am not necessarily into Qanon, I do know lots of elites are pedos and perverts, crooks and bums.  Remember all those Wall Street types snorting coke and banging hookers the same time as Spitzer?  When the financial crash came, none of them got charged, while he did.  Piss off the elites and the book gets thrown at you.  If anything, those Wall Street scumbags all got bailed out with printed fake money.  A bubble popped and now a bigger one has been created.  That one will pop soon.   

Number of convictions per party is irrelevant as most crimes, corruption, and wrong doing doesn't come to light unless you piss someone off.  Most of these elites in business and politics and Hollywood are fighting to keep their positions.  (Hence the boycotts of Georgia and other states.  They don't want Trump to come back and expose them.) 

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #192 on: April 23, 2021, 10:42:48 pm »
It wasn't a law. Do you know what would happen in NYC if trucks didn't break the law? Commerce would grind to a halt. It's like Korea. Everyone bitches about delivery cars on sidewalks, but if they weren't there, you literally would see a complete breakdown in the supply chain. Everyone knows it's just a game. Basically it's the city asking the delivery companies to pay them protection money.

It's like the cops and courts that effectively serve as "toll enforcers" for out of towners who pass through their town and get ticketed. It's just a racket.
What makes you my f*cking superior? Dude, the level of f*cking ego here. Of course you must be superior, no chance you're possibly wrong. I mean, you can't even tell the difference between an error or a misconception and a lie, but hey, you've got your finger on the pulse of things.

Anyways, you should know better. You should know what utter scumbags politicians are, left and right. You should know what an utter joke much of the court system is. Same with the tax code. Same with campaign finance laws and donations to politicians.  But instead you talk as though it's some sort of Frank Capra kind of world out there, just ruined by this danged evil Republicans.

Anyways, it's waygook.org and we have backs and forths. If you say I'm miserable, I'll say that ever since Trump came around and you started arguing politics, you have become miserable. Any other topic you're usually fair and patient. But Trump and politics? You've completely lost the plot. You take things personal and assume horrible things about the person disagreeing with you. You view this as some sort of good vs. evil life or death struggle instead of a family squabble. And you have lost all sense of fairness and objectivity. You will believe anything no matter how ridiculous as long as it's negative about the other side, and hold them to completely different standards than those on your own "side". Congrats Mr. C- You're miserable too! Now that we have acknowledged it, maybe instead of being rancorous we can have some fun.
No. YOU. LIE. The dates are all there. You deliberately compared Chinese taxes paid by Trump during an earlier period to Trump's taxes while he was campaigning and then in office. Why didn't you compare taxes for the same years? Because that's what you do- twist and hide everything. YOU. LiE.

I'm going to use your same tactics against you until you yourself see their own fault. Apply the same standard to yourself that you applied to me (Keep, in mind I don't genuinely think you lied. I think you just made an error. Maybe next time instead of saying "You lie" you can maybe stop and think that it might be an error instead. I genuinely want to see you improve as a person, to understand that there is much more grey to this world and that there are different ways of looking at things which aren't wrong, just different.

You can start by trying to be fair and argue from a point of fairness. Try to be a little bit more fair to those you disagree with or dislike. In case you haven't noticed, I constantly try to do that here. Lets say you are more honest. Okay great. But there's also the idea of fairness and perhaps you aren't being as fair as you could be.
Having lived in Manhattan for several years, I can't recall once seeing a delivery truck on the sidewalk. I walked the city quite a bit while living there.

What kind of business did you have/work for in NYC?

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #193 on: April 24, 2021, 12:14:47 am »

No. YOU. LIE. .... YOU. LiE.

I don't genuinely think you lied. . 
'Nuff said.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #194 on: April 24, 2021, 06:34:22 am »
Theodor Geisel, a child of German immigrants faced discrimination after WWI, but his father had a successful beer biz so Theodor went to Dartmouth College (and later Oxford) where he was caught drinking gin in his dorm room with a classmate during 1920's Prohibition. As punishment he could not engage in extracurricular college activities so he assumed the pen name "Seuss" to keep writing for the college magazine. He never was a doctor but his father always wanted him to become one so he adopted "Dr. Seuss" as a pseudonym before laws requiring a "Dr." designation to actually be a medical doctor or Ph.D grad.

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #195 on: April 24, 2021, 12:17:24 pm »
Theodor Geisel, a child of German immigrants faced discrimination after WWI, but his father had a successful beer biz so Theodor went to Dartmouth College (and later Oxford) where he was caught drinking gin in his dorm room with a classmate during 1920's Prohibition. As punishment he could not engage in extracurricular college activities so he assumed the pen name "Seuss" to keep writing for the college magazine. He never was a doctor but his father always wanted him to become one so he adopted "Dr. Seuss" as a pseudonym before laws requiring a "Dr." designation to actually be a medical doctor or Ph.D grad.

So this would suggest Dr. Dre is a real doctor.

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #196 on: April 26, 2021, 08:03:04 am »
Dr. Dre could easily get an honorary Ph.D or twelve
more gg more skill

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #197 on: April 26, 2021, 08:06:46 am »
What about Dr. Johnny Fever?

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #198 on: April 26, 2021, 09:51:53 am »
A Dr. Seuss book about Ted Cruz is highly likeable. Credit to John Oliver. I believe there are 4 poems in the set - all about that man Ted Cruz.

I do not like that man Ted Cruz
I do not like his far-right views
I do not like his stupid chin
I do not like his smarmy grin
I do not like him with a beard
I do not like him freshly sheared
I do not like Ted Cruz at all
That man Ted Cruz can suck my balls

« Reply #199 on: April 26, 2021, 12:27:36 pm »
Dr. Demento?