Read 8769 times

Re: Purchasing Dr. Seuss books for school library-fighting cancel culture
« Reply #140 on: April 08, 2021, 02:29:55 pm »
Anyways, based on waygook.org it seems the most partisan voices on this forum are the least funny, left or right, and those that I'd characterize as moderate, somewhat left or somewhat libertarian are the ones who can generally both say some funny stuff and take a joke without getting butthurt.

politics and comedy in general shouldn't be married. when it starts to feel like there's some sort of serious agenda behind the joke, it gets a lot less funny. of course i'm not saying that a comedian with a liberal slant making fun of conservative things is "an agenda" or anything lol, politics is something else to be made fun of like everything else, but the right-wing attempts that fka has already mentioned (as well as some of the duds we've seen on the left) tend to miss the mark.

Remember Chris Rock saying "On some things I'm liberal, on other things I'm conservative" and basically if you weren't both conservative or liberal on a few issues, you were an unthinking idiot? Now him saying that would get him labeled a "sell-out" by the left or "a cuck" by the right.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 02:50:23 pm by Mr.DeMartino »

« Reply #141 on: April 08, 2021, 02:40:57 pm »
Um, tell the truth?

And BTW, you really don't know the difference between "the Right"  and "the blacks" when it comes to making generalizations?
Mr. C, I am going to use your own style of argument against you and perhaps you will realize how disingenuous your calls of dishonesty and lying are.

"You know that when I wrote that I was referring to your statement about Koreans, not "the right." But instead you change it around and twist it and throw in "the right." Why? Because you are a liar who always lies. Tell the truth and maybe I'll respect you."

Mr. C, that's the kind of arguments you make. You don't even stop and bother to consider whether you do the same stuff you accuse other people of doing. You've convinced yourself of your own righteousness and the evilness of the other person and just fire away, convinced that whatever they did, it must be the worst interpretation possible. It can't be that someone got caught up in an argument and got something wrong, no they must be an evil dishonest liar.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 05:08:57 pm by Mr.DeMartino »

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #142 on: April 08, 2021, 02:53:17 pm »
Mr. C, I am going to use your own style of argument it is and perhaps you will realize how disingenuous your calls of dishonesty and lying are.

"You know that when I wrote that I was referring to your statement about Koreans, not "the right." But instead you change it around and twist it and throw in "the right." Why? Because you are a liar who always lies. Tell the truth and maybe I'll respect you."

Mr. C, that's the kind of arguments you make. You don't even stop and bother to consider whether you do the same stuff you accuse other people of doing. You've convinced yourself of your own righteousness and the evilness of the other person and just fire away, convinced that whatever they did, it must be the worst interpretation possible. It can't be that someone got caught up in an argument and got something wrong, no they must be an evil dishonest liar.

See, again, you have it completely backwards.  But I can't be assed to keep explaining things to you so I'm done here.

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #143 on: April 08, 2021, 03:47:48 pm »
We all know that Marty can’t do and understand comedy because he would argue out his own “joke” with himself.

HE is a joke. Just not the funny kind.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 03:49:49 pm by Savant »

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #144 on: April 08, 2021, 04:04:46 pm »
But back to the thread and cancel culture:

If Donald Trump really wants to take Coca-cola down, he should buy the company and run it for a few years.

« Reply #145 on: April 08, 2021, 05:10:21 pm »
See, again, you have it completely backwards.  But I can't be assed to keep explaining things to you so I'm done here.
No, you referenced me and Koreans. Then I used the same thing, only with "the blacks" or "Muslims".

You do this over and over, refusing to concede that such a thing as a light generalization is possible, and insisting over and over that, "Well, 100% (of said group) must do (some behavior) and I know some in fact don't, so stop hating Koreans!"

I responded, pointing out that me doing that is the same as you calling out me for taking something too literally when in fact it is a light generalization.
Okay, do you apply the same rule when one of our resident hard-right posters makes "a light generalization about the blacks" or "a light generalization about the Muslims?" I certainly don't think that's right and I while even though we know they don't mean every black, that still doesn't stop us from saying "Dude, wtf?"

You then responded
And BTW, you really don't know the difference between "the Right"  and "the blacks" when it comes to making generalizations?
But clearly I was making a response towards your issue with me and the way I argue about Koreans by drawing a parallel to us taking exception to such generalizations about black people or Muslims that certain posters engage in.

That's why I turned your tactic of accusing such a person of being "dishonest" against you. You did the exact same thing you accuse me of doing. Now what I think you ACTUALLY did was that in your head you were responding more to the general issue of right vs. minorities, rather than my specific comparison. You weren't being dishonest, you were doing what many people, including myself, do in an argument- We focused on one part, and we didn't exactly get the nuance or direction of what was being writing by the other. That doesn't make us dishonest or evil. That makes us human.

Also, you have clearly applied different standards of "light generalization". "Light generalization of Koreans or "the right"? That's okay and if you call it out, you're being pedantic. However, when you call someone out for making "light generalizations" about another group of people, that's okay to do because you're fighting prejudice or whatever.

By YOUR OWN STANDARD, you were being "dishonest" there. I hope you can see how you did the exact same thing you accused me of basically from top to bottom in all of it. And you know what? That's fine. We call it out, argue it, and maybe it gets fixed down the line. That's part of heated discussion.

The point is, that when such a thing happens, it doesn't mean the person is being dishonest. It's an internet argument with mounds of text. And if you think I'm the only one that regularly does it, I've got news for you- Everyone on this site falls victim to it from time to time when debating. If you think somehow you don't do it, then you aren't being honest with yourself. You also aren't being fair to those who do it by assuming the worst about them.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 05:26:56 pm by Mr.DeMartino »

« Reply #146 on: April 08, 2021, 05:29:59 pm »
But back to the thread and cancel culture:

If Donald Trump really wants to take Coca-cola down, he should buy the company and run it for a few years.
Comedy on the left: Not dead yet.

That was a pretty good one.

« Reply #147 on: April 08, 2021, 06:16:54 pm »
Immigrants are going to have relatives that have business interests abroad.

You're the one who defended Mitch McConnell by randomly and whataboutistically bringing up corporations not challenging China, but you think it's fine that his wife, Trump's secretary of transportation, used her position to promote businesses with close ties to the Chinese government. When it's a Trump appointee then "Immigrants are going to have relatives that have business interests abroad." Well gosh how can we argue with this?

So are you saying that it's ok for corporations to criticize the Jim Crow bill in Georgia so long as they don't engage with China? Of course you aren't, you're just parroting some fake conservative gotcha BS you copied from someone else. If all these corporations pulled out of China you'd come up with another excuse for not wanting black people to vote.

As Secretary of Transportation, Chao appeared in at least a dozen interviews with her father, James, a shipping magnate with extensive business interests in China.[66] The Transportation Department's inspector general cited numerous instances where Chao's office helped promote her family's shipping business.[3] The inspector general asked the Trump administration's Justice Department in December 2020 to consider a criminal investigation into Chao, but the DOJ refused.[3] Ethics experts said the appearances raised ethical concerns, as public officials are prohibited from using their office to profit others or themselves.[66] Federal disclosures cited by The New York Times revealed a gift to Chao and her husband Mitch McConnell from Chao's businessman father James, valued between $5 million and $25 million.[67] The company her father founded (and which her sister, Angela, currently runs), The Foremost Group, has extensive ties to the Chinese state and Chinese elites.[67] It obtained hundreds of millions of dollars worth of loans from a bank owned by the Chinese state, has substantial interests tied to a major shipyard funded by and long-term contracts with a steel producer owned by the Chinese state. In what The Times described as "a rarity for foreigners", Angela and James Chao have served on the boards of a Chinese state-owned shipbuilder, and Angela has been on the board of the Bank of China, as well as the China Council for the Promotion of International Trade (which was created by the government of China).[67]

From January 2018 to April 2019, 72% of the total tonnage shipped by Foremost was shipped to and from China. The Foremost Group has almost no footprint in the United States other than its headquarters in New York.[67] During the period when Chao appeared with her father at promotional events for the family company, the US Department of Transportation repeatedly sought to cut funding and loan guarantees for domestic American shipping companies, shipyards, and shipbuilders. These proposed budget cuts were rejected by Congress in a bipartisan fashion.[67] Chao's Department also sought for three years to prevent funding for a program that supports the viability of small domestic US shipyards, and a separate program that issues loan guarantees for the construction or reconstruction of ships with American registration.[67]

Chao pledged in 2017 to sell the stock she had earned while she was on the board of directors of Vulcan Materials, one of the largest suppliers of road-paving materials in the United States,[68][69] by April 2018.[68][70] After the Wall Street Journal and other major news outlets reported in late May 2019 that she was still holding the stock, worth $250,000 to $500,000, she sold it on June 3, 2019,[70][69] for a gain of $50,000 since April 2018.[70]

In June 2019, Politico reported that in 2017 Chao had designated her aide Todd Inman as a special liaison "to help with grant applications and other priorities" for Transportation Department projects in the state of Kentucky, the only state to have such a liaison. Inman was to act as an intermediary between the Department, local Kentucky officials, and Kentucky Senator Mitch McConnell, who is Chao's husband. This resulted in grants of at least $78 million for projects in Mitch McConnell strongholds Boone County and Owensboro. Inman had worked on the 2008 and 2014 re-election campaigns of McConnell; McConnell and local officials brought up the grants when he announced in Owensboro in December 2018 that he was running for re-election in 2020. Inman later became Chao's chief of staff.[71]

In September 2019, the Democratic-controlled House of Representatives Committee on Oversight and Reform began an investigation into whether she used political office to benefit her family's business interests.[72][73] A September 16 letter from the Oversight committee to Chao documented allegations that the Department of Transportation was forced to cancel a trip to China in 2017 that Chao had planned to take because State Department ethics officials challenged her attempts to include her family members in official meetings with the Chinese government.[74]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elaine_Chao#Conflicts_of_interest

« Reply #148 on: April 08, 2021, 08:12:16 pm »
You're the one who defended Mitch McConnell by randomly and whataboutistically bringing up corporations not challenging China, but you think it's fine that his wife, Trump's secretary of transportation, used her position to promote businesses with close ties to the Chinese government. When it's a Trump appointee then "Immigrants are going to have relatives that have business interests abroad." Well gosh how can we argue with this?
Fine, eff McConnell and eff Coca-Cola and eff all the others that virtue signal (for the right or left) and then suck off the Chinese.

That being said, simply putting "Elaine Chao's" wikipedia link is a bit distasteful and going the "China Family" route. You could, you know, make it about McConnell and not his Taiwanese-American wife.  Again, stop being a bigot.

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #149 on: April 09, 2021, 07:15:29 am »
why would you make it about mcconnell when his wife is the one doing the potential ethics violation?
more gg more skill

« Reply #150 on: April 09, 2021, 10:23:12 am »
why would you make it about mcconnell when his wife is the one doing the potential ethics violation?
We were originally talking about McConnell. Then his wife just got tossed out.

• fka
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #151 on: April 09, 2021, 12:24:47 pm »
His wife is entirely relevant to the conversation.

« Reply #152 on: April 09, 2021, 12:33:47 pm »
His wife is entirely relevant to the conversation.
Fair enough, the man's China Family is relevant. Same as Biden's son.

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #153 on: April 09, 2021, 03:44:28 pm »
Fair enough, the man's China Family is relevant. Same as Biden's son.

Does Biden's son have a China Family, too?

« Reply #154 on: April 09, 2021, 05:01:05 pm »
Nice to see members of the "tolerant" left take up the line hired by an arch-conservative who was trashed as a bigot for it by virtually every late night host (who are no fans of McConnell) What's next? Unironically calling him Cocaine Mitch and being fine with coal mines being blown up?

• leaponover
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 12:08:16 pm
    • Iksan, S. Korea
« Reply #155 on: April 09, 2021, 05:58:55 pm »
Hangook, Fox News has a new comedy chat show.

Ladies and gentlemen, I bring you Gutfeld!

https://youtu.be/rpCgV9ZPJcw

Almost as good as CNN's 24 hour comedy network.

• fka
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #156 on: April 10, 2021, 06:03:01 pm »
Nice to see members of the "tolerant" left take up the line hired by an arch-conservative who was trashed as a bigot for it by virtually every late night host (who are no fans of McConnell) What's next? Unironically calling him Cocaine Mitch and being fine with coal mines being blown up?

What the hell are you even talking about? I don't know who this arch-conservative is, and I don't know what late night talk show hosts have to do with anything. The Wikipedia section that MayorHaggar quoted makes reference to:

The Transportation Department's inspector general

Federal disclosures cited by The New York Times

the Wall Street Journal and other major news outlets

Politico

the House of Representatives Committee on Oversight and Reform

Do you think they were all motivated by bigotry?

Maybe you should read more instead of flying off the handle and calling people bigots while claiming your anti-SJW mantle.

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #157 on: April 11, 2021, 02:41:32 am »
Who did Christians fire again?  I mean how many ordinary Joe's got fired from their jobs?
I'm pretty sure that most of the CEOs laying off American workers over the years identify as Christian.

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #158 on: April 11, 2021, 02:48:23 am »
Is this the part of the movie where Eddie Murphy tells Bill Cosby to have a Coke and a smile and shut the f%$k up?

« Reply #159 on: April 11, 2021, 12:54:25 pm »
I'm pretty sure that most of the CEOs laying off American workers over the years identify as Christian.
What the hell are you even talking about? I don't know who this arch-conservative is,
Well maybe you should learn who Don Bkankenship was, and his various attacks on McConnell first.

Look, either Hunter Biden and Elaine Chao are both reason to attack Joe Biden and McConnell or neither are. But you can't puck and choose based on party.