Read 9244 times

Re: Purchasing Dr. Seuss books for school library-fighting cancel culture
« Reply #120 on: April 07, 2021, 12:44:10 pm »
If I had to guess, their protestations here but failure to do so in the case of the Chinese government will be a target. People on both sides of the aisle aren't too happy about their constant kowtowing to China.

At this point, the government has a responsibility to address that. I say companies should protest both or neither. But if they're only protesting U.S. governmental conduct but not FAR FAR worse Chinese conduct, sorry, game over.

Elaine Chao

« Reply #121 on: April 07, 2021, 01:16:12 pm »
Elaine Chao
And? Immigrants are going to have relatives that have business interests abroad. Anyways, thanks for taking up the Don Blankenship line.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjeHPAUZidI

This from the "tolerant and anti-racist" MayorHaggar.
Join the DeMart Fan Club!
Shout out to WhenInRome... the first member. Thank you my son!

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #122 on: April 08, 2021, 10:52:52 am »
And? Immigrants are going to have relatives that have business interests abroad. Anyways, thanks for taking up the Don Blankenship line.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjeHPAUZidI

This from the "tolerant and anti-racist" MayorHaggar.

Trevor Noah isn't a biased far lefty or anything.....

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #123 on: April 08, 2021, 11:07:48 am »
I think that that clip was posted to entertain us, hangook77, not to actually argue anything.  :smiley:

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #124 on: April 08, 2021, 12:05:28 pm »
I think that that clip was posted to entertain us, hangook77, not to actually argue anything.  :smiley:

None of the current night time hosts are entertaining.  They are just political hacks with light jokes that are predictible and repetitive.  Mostly preaching to the choir.  I liked his predecessor much better even if he was kind of left too.  Letterman was alright in his day though he took a hard left turn his last 10 or so years on the air.  (Though he could also be a jackass making kids cry and such too.) 

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #125 on: April 08, 2021, 12:06:51 pm »
None of the current night time hosts are entertaining.  They are just political hacks with light jokes that are predictible and repetitive.  Mostly preaching to the choir.  I liked his predecessor much better even if he was kind of left too.  Letterman was alright in his day though he took a hard left turn his last 10 or so years on the air.  (Though he could also be a jackass making kids cry and such too.) 

Conan.

• fka
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #126 on: April 08, 2021, 12:20:45 pm »
Hangook, Fox News has a new comedy chat show.

Ladies and gentlemen, I bring you Gutfeld!

https://youtu.be/rpCgV9ZPJcw

• fka
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Seoul
« Reply #127 on: April 08, 2021, 12:25:22 pm »
Actually, I'd be interested in a discussion about the question Pakman poses around 4:55. I have my own theories about why the right can't do comedy. A bit different from Pakman's take, though I think he's also onto something.

« Reply #128 on: April 08, 2021, 12:35:34 pm »
Actually, I'd be interested in a discussion about the question Pakman poses around 4:55. I have my own theories about why the right can't do comedy. A bit different from Pakman's take, though I think he's also onto something.
"The right can't do comedy" is dumb like "The left can't meme." If you think either are true, you're seeing what you want to see, not what really is. Now, I will agree that comedic media tends to lean more libertarian or left and memes tend to be of better quality on the right, but it's not anything close to a firm rule.

In a 30 minute show, every late night host will have some misses. Even the best like Conan and Letterman bomb anywhere from 25-75% of the time on a given show. That's the nature of comedy.

If not the right, the libertarians seem adept at comedy. If you actually listen to comics talk, a lot of them can be pretty conservative/libertarian on topics such as guns, political correctness, taxes, economics, bureaucracy, crime, etc.

I mean Bill Maher, on the left, spends 1/3rd of his show bashing the left for being a bunch of humorless knobs.

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #129 on: April 08, 2021, 01:06:06 pm »
"The right can't do comedy" is dumb like "The left can't meme." If you think either are true, you're seeing what you want to see, not what really is. Now, I will agree that comedic media tends to lean more libertarian or left and memes tend to be of better quality on the right, but it's not anything close to a firm rule.

Why oh why do you have so be so relentlessly tedious?  It is MORE THAN OBVIOUS to any sentient being that when folks say "The right can't do comedy" what they mean is the "Comedic media tend to lean more left."

No one in the universe except you thinks for one effing second that "The right can't do comedy" means THERE IS NO POSSIBLE HUMOROUS TAKE FROM THE RIGHT.  No one thinks that except apparently you. 

What's wrong with you?  What is wrong with you that you can't understand such a simple concept as a light generalization and have to resort to calling people "Dumb"?  I mean, who's the dumb one?

• fka
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Seoul
« Reply #130 on: April 08, 2021, 01:21:29 pm »
*Edit* Mr. C beat me to it!
------
I'm not talking about individual conservatives or libertarians who also happen to be funny. Of course they exist. I'm talking about coordinated efforts to produce a proudly, transparently conservative comedy show, stand-up routine, etc. Everything I've seen has been excruciatingly bad. There are reasons why those Christian stand-ups don't succeed beyond their niche audience, and it's not because society has fallen and the sound of Satanic pop music muffles the Word of God. It's because they're not funny.

Do you seriously think Gutfeld! is going to improve?

There are lots of left-wing misfires too. But on the whole attempts to marry comedy and politics have been a particularly gruesome disaster for the right. I know that lots of conservative professional victims like to claim that their absence from the comedy establishment is a result of censorship, opposition to alternative views, etc. But conservative media is extremely profitable. There are tons of successful shows across a multitude of media. Not in comedy, though - and Gutfeld! shows why.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 01:25:19 pm by fka »

• fka
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Seoul
« Reply #131 on: April 08, 2021, 01:36:31 pm »
Here is the profoundly unfunny Steven Crowder explaining to self-described "occasionally funny" person Ben Shapiro that he didn't make it as a superstar comic because of "bias" and the "corrupt academy".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNE2h1eBne8&ab_channel=BenShapiro

• fka
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Seoul
« Reply #132 on: April 08, 2021, 01:38:11 pm »
Dennis Miller and Bill O'Reilly double-header, absolutely SLAYING the audience.

https://youtu.be/ZGm6gWRb1iM
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 01:41:33 pm by fka »

« Reply #133 on: April 08, 2021, 01:49:56 pm »
No one in the universe except you thinks for one effing second that "The right can't do comedy" means THERE IS NO POSSIBLE HUMOROUS TAKE FROM THE RIGHT.  No one thinks that except apparently you. 
My goal was not to say that "How dare you suggest the right can't do humor!!!!" It was to draw a parallel between the two respective camps and get both to get over themselves. 

Also, the fact that YOU think I meant everyone who says "The right can't do comedy" means they think 100% that the right can't do comedy is YOUR misinterpretation. You are doing the same thing you accuse me of. Obviously I know that people who say that don't literally mean it 100%, however they apply it as a rule and I think they way overstate it.

Do you seriously think Gutfeld! is going to improve?
I don't know, probably not. He's at the age where comics seldom take a leap. He sometimes says some funny stuff, a lot of it is just bland slight smile inducing (or cringey) takes to pad out the 30 minutes. Typical late night fodder.

The point of Gutfeld isn't Gutfeld, it's the guests he brings on and the way they interact with each other. He's at his best when he's bringing on and bouncing off of people like Jim Norton, Sherrod Small, Joe DeRosa, etc. and getting the guests to play off of each other.

. I'm talking about coordinated efforts to produce a proudly, transparently conservative comedy show, stand-up routine, etc. Everything I've seen has been excruciatingly bad
Depends...I mean, Opie & Anthony was definitely more conservative-leaning in a sense and was a big success. Bill Burr is all over the place ideologically, but at the moment is persona non-grata with the left. You had the Blue Collar guys who generally leaned libertarian. You have the whole Colin-Vos-Bobby Kelly circle that certainly leans libertarianish.

I'd also submit, that if woke leftism becomes the dominant paradigm, it will start to fail at comedy (there's already signs of that happening) and that whoever emerges as its opponent will really start to get in some zingers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNJyDyCocGQ

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #134 on: April 08, 2021, 01:55:20 pm »
politics and comedy in general shouldn't be married. when it starts to feel like there's some sort of serious agenda behind the joke, it gets a lot less funny. of course i'm not saying that a comedian with a liberal slant making fun of conservative things is "an agenda" or anything lol, politics is something else to be made fun of like everything else, but the right-wing attempts that fka has already mentioned (as well as some of the duds we've seen on the left) tend to miss the mark.

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #135 on: April 08, 2021, 02:07:02 pm »
My goal was not to say that "How dare you suggest the right can't do humor!!!!" It was to draw a parallel between the two respective camps and get both to get over themselves. 

Also, the fact that YOU think I meant everyone who says "The right can't do comedy" means they think 100% that the right can't do comedy is YOUR misinterpretation. You are doing the same thing you accuse me of. Obviously I know that people who say that don't literally mean it 100%, however they apply it as a rule and I think they way overstate it.

Absolute nonsense and you know it.

FFS, "How dare you suggest the right can't do humor" is quite close indeed to saying "'The Right can't do comedy!' is dumb."

You do this over and over, refusing to concede that such a thing as a light generalization is possible, and insisting over and over that, "Well, 100% (of said group) must do (some behavior) and I know some in fact don't, so stop hating Koreans!"

« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 02:17:46 pm by Mr C »

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #136 on: April 08, 2021, 02:16:56 pm »
the right cant meme
more gg more skill

« Reply #137 on: April 08, 2021, 02:22:41 pm »
Absolute nonsense and you know it.

You do this over and over, refusing to concede that such a thing as a light generalization is possible, and insisting over and over that, "Well, 100% (of said group) must do (some behavior) and I know some in fact don't, so stop hating Koreans!"
Okay, do you apply the same rule when one of our resident hard-right posters makes "a light generalization about the blacks" or "a light generalization about the Muslims?" I certainly don't think that's right and I while even though we know they don't mean every black, that still doesn't stop us from saying "Dude, wtf?"

Regardless of your inconsistent and arbitrary standard once again being applied, the fact remains that the goal of my post was to draw a parallel between two opposing groups. For some of us, we are able to look at the flaws of both sides and actively call out their dumbery. Like THE very first thing that popped into my head when I read "The right can't do comedy" is "The left can't meme". Why? I don't know, but they're two sides of the same coin and are common points thrown up that I think are both ridiculous and overgeneralized.

And yes, you overgeneralized what I was saying in the same manner you accuse me of. I'm not sure why that didn't enter your head and you failed to notice it, but that's what happened. Now, maybe you have a point that I overgeneralized and should have been more nuanced. Fair enough. I only ask that you apply that standard consistently, rather than arbitrarily.

Anyways, I'm sorry if there is only one possible explanation for why I wrote such things in your head. I don't know what more I can say.

« Reply #138 on: April 08, 2021, 02:23:17 pm »
the right cant meme
Shots fired!

"The left can't take a joke"

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #139 on: April 08, 2021, 02:25:26 pm »
Okay, do you apply the same rule when one of our resident hard-right posters makes "a light generalization about the blacks" or "a light generalization about the Muslims?" I certainly don't think that's right and I while even though we know they don't mean every black, that still doesn't stop us from saying "Dude, wtf?"

Regardless of your inconsistent and arbitrary standard once again being applied, the fact remains that the goal of my post was to draw a parallel between two opposing groups. For some of us, we are able to look at the flaws of both sides and actively call out their dumbery. Like THE very first thing that popped into my head when I read "The right can't do comedy" is "The left can't meme". Why? I don't know, but they're two sides of the same coin and are common points thrown up that I think are both ridiculous and overgeneralized.

And yes, you overgeneralized what I was saying in the same manner you accuse me of. I'm not sure why that didn't enter your head and you failed to notice it, but that's what happened. Now, maybe you have a point that I overgeneralized and should have been more nuanced. Fair enough. I only ask that you apply that standard consistently, rather than arbitrarily.

Anyways, I'm sorry if there is only one possible explanation for why I wrote such things in your head. I don't know what more I can say.

Um, tell the truth?

And BTW, you really don't know the difference between "the Right"  and "the blacks" when it comes to making generalizations?