Read 676 times

• tik2018
  • Waygookin

• February 21, 2018, 01:05:19 pm
Severance
« on: March 22, 2021, 10:31:52 am »
I just recently moved to a new province and school. My previous school is supposed to be paying my severance, but have not as of yet. Everytime I ask about it, I get vague answers about balancing 4 insurances or something, so they are holding it, etc. I hate to keep bothering my previous coteacher about it, but my previous school has shown themselves to be consistently unreliable with paying me. It has almost been a month since I've left the job and still...nothing. As it's a public school, I didn't expect this to be a problem. Not sure what to do...or if I should just be patient and keep waiting and asking. I'm not sure what the whole insurance thing is about...or why they need to deduct insurance fees from my severance pay as they don't have anything to do with each other I think.

Re: Severance
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 11:43:34 am »
You can file a complaint if your old school was supposed to pay that out. I'm assuming they should, but not 100% sure.

https://www.moel.go.kr/english/sai/saiEappOnpeti.jsp

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 12:30:35 pm »
Since you changed employers (new Office of Ed.) the old school should be in charge of paying your severance for the total time you were employed with that province. They legally have 14 days to pay severance and I assume your previous contract finished on Feb 25th so two weeks has come and gone by now. The 4 insurances adjustment is a thing but it shouldn't take this long. All other schools around the country manage to do it within the appropriate time frame.

Don't feel bad about bothering your CT about this, since you have no other point of contact at the school and you don't work there anymore you don't need to worry about being "difficult". I would also contact the coordinator from your old province and let them know that you haven't been paid. As the other poster mentioned you can politely tell your CT/coordinator that you will be contacting  MOEL (고용노동부 in Korean) if they do not pay it out soon. That should get the ball rolling.

If you don't know how to get in touch with the coordinator from your old province you can PM me. I have the contact info for all of them around the country.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 12:42:21 pm by DMZabductee »

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2021, 12:56:47 pm »
You can also call the city or provincial education office asking for the money if you don't get it by the end of the month.  Just tell them your school name and who your contact is.  I am not sure why the school is paying you anyways.  I always got paid by the local education office. 

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2021, 01:01:09 pm »
I am not sure why the school is paying you anyways.  I always got paid by the local education office. 

Some MOE/POEs delegate all that administrative work to the schools. Others pay teachers directly. Sounds like OP is from a province that has the schools do it.

• tik2018
  • Waygookin

• February 21, 2018, 01:05:19 pm
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2021, 01:31:12 pm »
Thanks for the input :) They finally did pay me, so looks like everything is resolved!

• albie2011
  • Adventurer

• June 08, 2011, 11:50:05 am
    • Anseong-si
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2021, 10:14:33 am »
Glad you received your severance pay. I hope that they have paid back your 900,000won security deposit and any residual amount owed to you if you ever renewed your contract.

(I got my severance pay, but had to bug them forthe  balance of my renewal bonus and am still waiting for the return of my deposit which they said would be paid in the course of the next month.)
"For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbors, and laugh at them in our turn? Mr Bennet, 'Pride and Prejudice'