Which city do you prefer? Why?

Seoul vs Busan!

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
Re: Busan vs Seoul!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2021, 08:03:10 am »
I haven't been to Busan in almost a decade.  I found at the time that away from Haeundae beaches that it was a very Korean city.  Even Gwaghalli, had no good restaurants.  I ate  Korean style hamburger with that weird fake meat taste.  Maybe Gukje Market had a few things.  But mostly disappointing and boring.  I am sure it has changed as has much of Korea since then. 

I use to hit Seoul occasionally until Covid came along.  It was far more cosmopolitan and international with lots of different international food restaurants, etc.  Was more to do and see.  (Though I do think Itaewon has gone to shit from what I could tell last time I was there in January, 2020.)  Also it just seemed easier to get to Seoul in some ways.  Busan was not hard to get to necessarily, but you would land in by the bus and then take the subway for over an hour to get to Haeundae and find your hotel or motel. 

Seoul, it just seems everything is much more centralized.  Either arrive south of the river at central city or arrive north of the river at the KTX station.  Hop the subway and ride a short distance to your hotel or motel.  Plus lots of western places and different types of restaurants all nearby and on every corner.  (I never saw that in Busan.  At least when I use to go.)

Busan has some nice coast.  But I honestly feel like I need a better vehicle and just to drive there and park at the hotel.  Prob less hassle then.  But busses and subway connections more of a pain there.  If there are more restaurants and a variety of eating now, will reconsider.  But I use to use what precious time off I had to hit Seoul instead (plus stock up on foreign food and items before coupang became a thing a year or two ago). 

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2021, 10:35:05 am »
They're both good cities (by Korean standards) in different ways. Never really had a preference for either, enjoyed going to both. I spent my last 3 years in Korea in Daegu where it was easy to get to either by KTX, especially Busan.

Seoul:
- more centralized
- better subway with way more lines, though it can take a while to get from one side of town to the other because most subway lines have a zillion stops.
- REALLY cold in winter, milder in summer but still hot (duh)
- USO DMZ tour is great
- favorite restaurant: Petra Palace in Itaewon. Hope it's still around and doing well.

Busan:
- really stretched out cityscape. Can take a long time to get around on the subway because of this.
- really really overrated beaches. They're crummy and get insanely crowded in the summer.
- mild in winter but still cold. Really hot in summer. (duh)
- favorite restaurant: Slice of Life (SOL) Pizza. Really amazing white pizza, but I found their other pizzas a bit lacking.
- really liked Galmegi Brewery though I never did find their new location after they moved. Loved their IPA and I usually don't like IPAs much.

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2021, 10:38:40 am »
Pusan. because i live here and busan is #1 돼지국밥 in all of 한국
more gg more skill

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2021, 11:46:17 am »
Actually if you have a car and can speak some basic Korean, I really loved Pohang last year.  Beautiful places just outside the city.  I liked the beaches better than anything I remembered in Busan. 

• SPQR
  • Expert Waygook

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Canada
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2021, 01:13:38 pm »
Koreans choose Seoul. Everything else is provincial garbage.

• Bakeacake
  • Waygookin

• July 12, 2010, 01:35:40 pm
    • Pohang South Korea
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2021, 04:09:28 pm »
Actually if you have a car and can speak some basic Korean, I really loved Pohang last year.  Beautiful places just outside the city.  I liked the beaches better than anything I remembered in Busan. 

I currently live in Pohang, and can attest, is it better than living in Busan and Seoul. But unfortunately we are full. Don't come here. Don't visit our beaches, don't come for the fireworks festival, and definitely don't come to the local foreigner bar "tilt". I can send you some gwamegi if youd like.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2021, 05:24:56 pm »
I like coastal cities but I prefer small port towns, so... my first three years in Korea I chose Okpo on Geoje Island, a 50-minute direct ferry ride to Nampodong in Busan (this was before the bridge/tunnel link, when buses had to go through Tongyeong, taking over two hours - hence the ferry service).

I wanted to live near a big city but not in a big city. There was no way I was going to take the subway every day nor spend half an hour commuting. Big cities are great for shopping and weekend entertainment.

My favorite was the 7 years I spent in Seogwipo, the small city on the southern coast of Jeju. Foreigners were much friendlier there than in Busan.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2021, 07:50:32 am »
I currently live in Pohang, and can attest, is it better than living in Busan and Seoul. But unfortunately we are full. Don't come here. Don't visit our beaches, don't come for the fireworks festival, and definitely don't come to the local foreigner bar "tilt". I can send you some gwamegi if youd like.

Full of what?  The peninsula south of the city was really quite nice.  Nice seacoast.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2021, 08:27:17 am »
Oh god. Tilt. Soooooo much drama!  :smiley:

• DocH
  • Veteran

• March 01, 2021, 11:25:39 am
    • pub
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2021, 09:11:50 am »
Jeonggwan-eup in northern Busan is quite nice.  In fact, the entire Gijang area is quite nice....