Read 5112 times

Re: The rules for NETs are getting obnoxious
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2021, 10:59:15 am »
You're awfully apologetic this morning....
Answer the question:
You complain about having to sign the time sheet. Do you complain about not having to attend teachers meetings?

If you aren't talking about equal responsibilities as well, then your argument is crap.

« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2021, 11:54:18 am »
Any response? Hello?

You complain about having to sign the time sheet. Do you complain about not having to attend teachers meetings?

« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2021, 02:18:04 pm »
Any response? Hello?

I've actually attended teacher meetings at a few stick up the ass schools who insisted on it.

Any relevant information we need to know gets relayed to us by our CTs.

Teacher meetings are all in Korean so what's the point of us attending? Likewise, what's the point of us signing the damn time sheet when it's taken less than 2-weeks for every one of my schools to get fed up with the hassle of getting me to sign the sheet twice a day? They simply fill in the times and I just sign it once a month, even if I leave early (which I still do).

The whole thing is a perfect illustration of dysfunctional leadership and decision making, cocooned in a thick dung-ball of bureaucracy. It was put in place to stop NETs from leaving early and guess what? NETs are still leaving early, with their school's blessing.

You can't defend it. 

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2021, 02:50:39 pm »
It was put in place to stop NETs from leaving early and guess what? NETs are still leaving early, with their school's blessing.

Still happening, but less common than before. Meaning itís somewhat effective.

Many schools used to let NETs take off all of January and February. Now, very rare. Because the education office calls (and sometimes checks in in person) to see if the NET is there at the school during the winter break outside of any recorded vacation days.

« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2021, 02:57:34 pm »
I've actually attended teacher meetings at a few stick up the ass schools who insisted on it.
Hey, if you attend the meetings, I'm all for you taking issue with the sign-in sheet.

But people who insist that they should be treated like Korean teachers, but only for the good stuff and refuse any responsibilities Korean teachers also have, while insisting they keep any benefits unique to NETs? Yeah, they don't really have a leg to stand on. Don't get me wrong, it's natural to think that way, but I'm not going to take it seriously as a moral position.

I generally agree with the "We're in a unique position, try and work things out with common sense and understanding" and that should mean something like "The VP will ask that you sign that sheet for your off day so he can cover his ass, but then he won't ask you to come in and anytime you need to hop out for 30 minutes during lunch to hit the bank, he'll wave his hand and off you go because in turn, you always enjoy drinking with him at the hwesik or you take some time out to help train the school soccer team or you showed up that one Saturday for some school event and did an English song and dance and if you call in sick the Monday after your overseas vacation, he understands and doesn't care, why because you picked him up some $20 niceness at the duty free and so on and so on."

Ideally that's how it should be.

« Reply #65 on: Yesterday at 03:35:04 pm »
In general, yes the rules and policies are becoming much more strict not just in schools but in society in general.  A lot of things don't make sense and in Korea it's not about making sense, it's about simply being obedient.  They care about the most meaningless things yet give no attention to the issues that are actually important and matter.

For example, they care more about the fact you were late 5 minutes to school than they care about how the students are actually learning or developing their english language skills.  Nobody cares about the actual education of the kids.  They can fail the year in english all they want and nobody cares.  But they care if you leave 3 minutes early from school.

« Reply #66 on: Today at 11:45:34 am »
In general, yes the rules and policies are becoming much more strict not just in schools but in society in general.  A lot of things don't make sense and in Korea it's not about making sense, it's about simply being obedient.  They care about the most meaningless things yet give no attention to the issues that are actually important and matter.

For example, they care more about the fact you were late 5 minutes to school than they care about how the students are actually learning or developing their english language skills.  Nobody cares about the actual education of the kids.  They can fail the year in english all they want and nobody cares.  But they care if you leave 3 minutes early from school.

Indeed, and that's why my criticism will always find its way to Confucianism.

Korea has a serious lack of charismatic and effective leaders. The ones who are in charge parade around like God's gift to humanity, and expect to be treated as such, yet most couldn't plan a fart without sh*tting themselves.

Yeah some schools let the NETs not come to school in February and some NETs leave a few minutes early... how is devoting all your efforts into enforcing this going to improve the quality of education?

It's all a show by ineffectual leaders trying to remind those around them that they are in charge.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #67 on: Today at 11:49:09 am »
That's why there is a watershed between leaders and bosses/managers and the gulf is HUGE.
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

« Reply #68 on: Today at 01:08:23 pm »
Korea has a serious lack of charismatic and effective leaders. The ones who are in charge parade around like God's gift to humanity, and expect to be treated as such, yet most couldn't plan a fart without sh*tting themselves.
I don't really think you're being fair here. I mean, our perception comes with a massive language and culture gap and a relative dearth of interaction with said management/leaders and in most cases involves one, maybe two sectors. In the case of public education so much is dictated by legislation, bureaucracy and collective bargaining.

I'd also submit, based on how people talk and media portrayals, that management/leaders back home tend to often be portrayed as aloof, obstinate, ineffective, oblivious, etc. If you ask any employee of any large organization they're going to have a laundry list of incompetent people and moronic policies and directives.

Yeah some schools let the NETs not come to school in February and some NETs leave a few minutes early... how is devoting all your efforts into enforcing this going to improve the quality of education?

It's all a show by ineffectual leaders trying to remind those around them that they are in charge.
Or it can just be bureaucratic covering one's butt. These things often come about because some issue gets bumped up from place to place. Some NET complains to their CT that other NETs are getting vacation. The CT bumps this up to the VP, who passes it along amongst a stack of issue to the principal, who then passes it back to the VP or CT who then passes it on to the person in charge of English education at the local County Office of Education, who may or may not pass it to their boss at the County Office or may or may not pass it on the Provincial Office in charge of English and on and on. Eventually some directive gets passed back down based on a 1-2 page summary of some situation amongst a stack of other issues and the overriding principal is minimization of risk and potential legal hassles.

I'm sorry, but in most of these cases the person in charge isn't out to get you or to stomp around making sure they know you're in charge. This is just one thing that passed through their desk, that came from both directions, and they just don't want any hassle. It was one item brought up during a meeting amongst several other items and they just wanted to make sure there wasn't total chaos.

I really don't get where people are coming from thinking these kinds of measures are some kind of personal attack or something aimed at "going after the foreigner"

What do you think would happen if KTs at some public schools got some extra time off because their principal just waved their hand and others were mandated to stay? Of course there would be some kind of bureaucratic response to ensure compliance and fair treatment.