Read 5569 times

If you feel these tests are an example of systemic discrimination and xenophobia please consider filing grievances with the human rights commission of korea https://www.humanrights.go.kr/site/program/link/formMinwon?menuid=002004003
Particularly if you hold an f series visa.

And/or adding your name to the epeople petition here https://www1.president.go.kr/petitions/Temp/fGEt4J?fbclid=IwAR0DpRIb1vKZ8NrbDFfcGkkzH2UROIoD0_91bLh91Ku_y5OtYzhk1mkk0Bc
The above petition is focusing on Gyeonggido but it will set a precedent hopefully.

I’m not interested in arguing the merits or lack there of for these tests.

Currently these tests are mandatory for all working foreigners in gyeonggido and Jeollanamdo but I hear other provinces and cities are implementing similar requirements.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 05:54:43 pm by thunderlips »

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
Re: Foreigner Covid testing mandate
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 06:41:27 pm »
Seoul and incheon have Also joined in mandating a covid test from foreigners

Hey, could you provide some info about Seoul in this regard?  I'm not finding anything.

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2021, 06:47:19 pm »
http://www.kocis.go.kr/koreanet/view.do?seq=1037387

Ok my mistake. Right now it isn’t mandatory but from what I’ve heard it will be.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Cairo, Egypt (formerly Seoul)
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2021, 01:31:49 am »
They will probably publish the decree with a face-saving “E9 only”.

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2021, 08:04:40 am »
http://www.kocis.go.kr/koreanet/view.do?seq=1037387

Ok my mistake. Right now it isn’t mandatory but from what I’ve heard it will be.

On march 12 - our province's education office got orders from the government to make us all have one.
So it is currently mandatory.

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2021, 08:09:39 am »
On march 12 - our province's education office got orders from the government to make us all have one.
So it is currently mandatory.

You mean Jeolla? Yeah that is mandatory. My above reply was about Seoul and Incheon.

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2021, 08:19:59 am »

You mean Jeolla? Yeah that is mandatory. My above reply was about Seoul and Incheon.

I do. We have until March 31 to get the test, as all results need to reach the education office by april 1-2.
Any foreigner not done it by then has a 3mil won fine.
Ahh - I was just going by my province, as I'm not sure what others are doing.

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2021, 02:33:00 pm »
Well, I work and live in Seoul, and just got this text message:

"For our (sic) own safety, we advise you to get tested for COVID-19 in a preemptive manner.  Testing and receiving treatment are free of charge.  Undocumented foreigners will not be reported to the immigration."

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2021, 02:37:18 pm »
Well, I work and live in Seoul, and just got this text message:

"For our (sic) own safety, we advise you to get tested for COVID-19 in a preemptive manner.  Testing and receiving treatment are free of charge.  Undocumented foreigners will not be reported to the immigration."

I'm of the feeling that this preemptive test won't stop you having to get another one if they decide all foreigners in the city need to get one.  I'm going to wait until I'm told to, and will certainly not be visiting on a weekend.

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2021, 02:39:59 pm »
"For our (sic) own safety,"

quite the freudian slip
more gg more skill

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2021, 02:49:49 pm »

Any foreigner not done it by then has a 3mil won fine.

I could be mistaken, but the way that I read it was, you would have up to a 3 million won fine if you contributed to the spread of COVID19. So, if you don't get COVID19/ spread it, you won't get any fine.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2021, 03:00:31 pm »
I could be mistaken, but the way that I read it was, you would have up to a 3 million won fine if you contributed to the spread of COVID19. So, if you don't get COVID19/ spread it, you won't get any fine.

Oh, hey. Government.  No, no, I don't have it.

Just trust me.

"Oh, okay. Good to know."
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2021, 07:41:56 am »
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-southkorea-foreign-idUSKBN2B712S?fbclid=IwAR2Fl9UjxgnEZlTxj3vNmtGzwWKEhog-7tJi9bamTXWamz9ecWY6eQs5U8A

Glad this is getting some international news.

I love this part:
"I’ve lived in Korea for years, pay a mortgage, run a business, have a family, pay tax,” John, a graphic designer from the United Kingdom who owns his own business and has lived in South Korea for 10 years, told Reuters by online messenger, asking to be identified only by his first name."

Oh, you want to be anonymous? You want us to use your first name only? Well, fine, ok. ...but we're gonna publish your nationality, business, life history, address, ARC number, visa type, and the colour of the socks you're currently wearing.  :rolleyes:

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2021, 07:48:46 am »
This part is most surprising; four hour wait in line?!:
___________________ __________

“I agree that everyone should get tested for COVID, but it is so exhausting to wait for hours,” Jin Dianshun, a 65-year-old restaurant worker from China who said she had been standing in line for four hours, after already having stood in line for hours on Saturday before being turned away.

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2021, 08:10:34 am »
I love this part:
"I’ve lived in Korea for years, pay a mortgage, run a business, have a family, pay tax,” John, a graphic designer from the United Kingdom who owns his own business and has lived in South Korea for 10 years, told Reuters by online messenger, asking to be identified only by his first name."

Oh, you want to be anonymous? You want us to use your first name only? Well, fine, ok. ...but we're gonna publish your nationality, business, life history, address, ARC number, visa type, and the colour of the socks you're currently wearing.  :rolleyes:

Well to be fair uk could be any of the 3/4 countries that make up that entity. :D

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2021, 08:24:45 am »
And honestly, "green" is such a vague description. They could be mint green, or light green, or hunter green, or even aquamarine!
Heck, if you're reading the article in Japan, you might even call them blue!
 :wink:

• buckybee
  • Veteran

• August 30, 2015, 02:36:08 pm
    • Daejeon
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2021, 08:39:17 am »
“We don’t think this is to discriminate or stigmatize foreign workers, and it shouldn’t be accepted that way,” she said.

Thank you Director Jeong Eun-kyeong for telling us that we can't feel like it's discrimination just because you think it's not.

“Since there are a lot of foreigners here, every time a foreigner comes in, it would worry me,” said Hwang Mi-sun, a clothes shop owner. “Now that they are filtering out everyone, it gives me a sense of assurance.”

This quote right here.. This person should feel worried no matter who comes in the shop. It's ridiculous. People have this false sense of safety. Anyone with Covid could come to her shop and she would have no idea.. 

Also, what's up with some people thinking all foreigners know each other? Like we must all somehow be connected.

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2021, 10:03:16 am »
Oh, hey. Government.  No, no, I don't have it.

Just trust me.

"Oh, okay. Good to know."

I don't think that is what I meant.

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2021, 10:31:25 am »
Thank you Director Jeong Eun-kyeong for telling us that we can't feel like it's discrimination just because you think it's not.
Well, I think this should be a two-way dialogue. Like, they should listen to us and our concerns,  but we also need to listen as well. The problem is both sides don't listen to each other at all.

As I said before, there does appear to be a WEIRD vs. Other foreigner gap in how this is perceived. Even though its an incredibly small sample size, the non-Western foreigners seem fine with it or at most concerned about the long lines and disorganization. The ones most focused on discrimination are overwhelmingly from WEIRD countries.

Like, its important for your voice to be heard, but you do need to listen as well so you aren't accidentally creating a storm of paranoia in your own head.