Read 5442 times

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
Have at it. I'm curious about our numbers.

I'm seeing a lot of people on Facebook saying all sorts of things like

a) it's free! In the US it would be 1000$!
b) stop trying to be oppressed.
c) It's not hard, just go
d) This is racist
e) this is not helpful

Just........... a whole gammut of things.
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
I mean if you're checking on Facebook I don't know why you'd expect anything other than the worst opinions

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
I mean if you're checking on Facebook I don't know why you'd expect anything other than the worst opinions
That's why I come to waygook for serious discussion. hahaha

I wouldn't be surprised if some people actually caught the virus at these testing places. Thousands of random people lining up and then taking their masks off at the exact same place does not sound like a good idea. Only people who have obvious symptoms or proven exposure to symptomatic or positive contacts should be tested.

Do I agree with it? No

Would I fight it? No

Would I enjoy the two days off getting my test and waiting for the result? I sure would.

Do I agree with it? No

Would I fight it? No

Would I enjoy the two days off getting my test and waiting for the result? I sure would.

+1

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
i'm confused. are they testing gyopos? are they testing foreigners who have more permanent visas? if you own and operate your own hagwon do you have to get tested? who exactly is being tested? i'm not sure if it's based on ethnicity, visa, or employer... i mean either way it's kind of wack, but my answer to whether or not it's discriminatory will depend on who exactly is required to get tested.

and i don't think i'm knowledgeable enough to know whether or not it'll be helpful
more gg more skill

i'm confused. are they testing gyopos? are they testing foreigners who have more permanent visas? if you own and operate your own hagwon do you have to get tested? who exactly is being tested? i'm not sure if it's based on ethnicity, visa, or employer... i mean either way it's kind of wack, but my answer to whether or not it's discriminatory will depend on who exactly is required to get tested.

and i don't think i'm knowledgeable enough to know whether or not it'll be helpful
According to the wording it is based on nationality and employment status (apparently the unemployed are exempt).

As for how it is done in practice? Could range from sticking to those terms to a clearly racist "Get tested you foreigners"

So my vote would be "I don't know."

Also, if it finds one infected person it is helpful. That's not the issue. Is it cost-beneficial? I mean, potentially yes (it could theoretically prevent some massive outbreak), but probably? No.

If it was me I'd probably just target key industries that are critical during this pandemic. No, you don't need to test the workers at the Ottogi bean paste factory. That being said, there might be bureaucratic reasons for doing Gyeonggi-wide. Also, the political considerations...

I would say it might have one humanitarian benefit- If it is tied to encouraging illegal workers to get tested and they can see that they can use public health services without fear of punishment, at least during this pandemic, then that can establish trust and encourage them to use public health care and prevent future outbreak clusters.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 01:31:03 pm by Mr.DeMartino »

All foreigners, only exception would be if you live in Gyeonggi do but work in Seoul then you don't have to test. (That example may not be 100% accurate)

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
Also, if it finds one infected person it is helpful. That's not the issue. Is it cost-beneficial?

For the record, this is what I meant.

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
I just had a very apologetic co-teacher come and explain to me that I have to get the test.  There's a testing centre right beside my apartment complex so I'll go there next week.  There was no mention of staying at home waiting for the result so it's one of the stupidest directives I can recall, but I don't want to dwell on it.  It'll just annoy me.  It won't be like when they didn't give out any of those 50,000 won cards to foreigners even though we are all paying income tax here.  That pissed me off. 

• buckybee
  • Veteran

• August 30, 2015, 02:36:08 pm
    • Daejeon
I could see why this is the best way to ensure foreigners get tested. Foreigners may fear retaliation from employers or fear being deported if they get sick. Some would try to hide it.  However, I think they should've done massive testing on specific areas. Korean citizens and foreigners. Because it doesn't make sense not to.

I got this from this Korean Harold article: http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20210310000756&np=2&mp=1

"As of Tuesday, foreigners accounted for 1,466 out of the 14,428 confirmed cases in Gyeonggi Province this year, or 14.1 percent, up 83.1 percent from the previous year."

If those numbers are true, then only 10% of all total cases were foreigners and 90% were Korean citizens. Even with the 14.1% increase of foreign cases this year, there is still a lot of citizens who are/were sick. Testing all the foreigners doesn't feel like a solution to the problem of having too many cases in the province in general.

Also not to mention, doing this could effect foreign workers livelihoods in massive ways, even make the foreigners the scapegoat if an infection were to run rampant though a work place. It would be the foreigners fault even if it wasn't.  It's unfortunate the government chose to go down this path rather then test citizens and foreigners as equals.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
There's a testing centre right beside my apartment complex so I'll go there next week.   but I don't want to dwell on it.  It'll just annoy me.

Right, it's not even the time out of my life, OnNut81. This is one of the biggest points I make when people say it's no big deal. It's not about the time, nor money, of which there is none, it's free.

It's the bad taste in my mouth. It's the nonsense of it.

:police: Foreigners?

:huh: Yeah!

:police: Which ones?

:huh: ALL OF THEM.

It's like trying to find your car keys by installing a huge magnet next to your house and extracting all the metal inside. Yeah, you're gonna get your keys, and a few other metal things you've lost over the years, but it's not useful. And it leaves a lot of destruction. How many people are gonna get covid in line at the testing centre who otherwise wouldn't have and then later they only ADD to the number of waygs who test positive, further driving up our numbers? 

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
Also not to mention, doing this could effect foreign workers livelihoods in massive ways, even make the foreigners the scapegoat if an infection were to run rampant though a work place. It would be the foreigners fault even if it wasn't.  It's unfortunate the government chose to go down this path rather then test citizens and foreigners as equals.

That is a HELL of a point.

That is a HELL of a point.

It's Sewol all over again, they found their scapegoat in a few convenient villains; the cowardly captain and an incompetent president.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
It's Sewol all over again, they found their scapegoat in a few convenient villains; the cowardly captain and an incompetent president.

Yeah, I'm not gonna clear PGH of wrongdoing, but I've heard so much of "The Coast Guard couldn't act without her orders."

Like............ WOT. What the hell kind of system is that. This isn't warfare. It's rescue. That's the ENTIRE point of Emergency Services. Does the Fire Dept call the mayor everytime they need to turn the hose on? No. Obviously.

I'm going to admit that I don't know how the Coast Guard works, but if they need EXECUTIVE approval to save a drowning boat, that is 100% absolute lunacy and someone needs to be guillotined for setting it up that way.

"Yeah, he's raping her in the alley, should I stop him? Mr. Mayor? Hello? Yeah, Offifer Lee, here. Can you hear me? Yeah, he's raping her. I should stop him? Tell me to stop him, Mr. Mayor."

WHAT THE HELL SYSTEM IS THIS? 

• njarlson
  • Adventurer

• March 02, 2021, 07:33:45 am
    • South Korea
This decision is simply ridiculous. This is happening because of cluster cases in factories/dorms where migrant workers are living and working in horrible and cramped conditions, leaving little to no protection for them against the virus. To test every foreigner in the biggest province in the country is just blatantly discriminatory and not helpful in the slightest. The single foreign teacher at a public school in Suwon isn't going to be more at risk than their Korean coworkers simply because there was an outbreak amongst factory workers 100km away in Dongducheon. If they're at any kind of risk, their Korean coworkers are at the exact same risk yet don't need to be tested.

Korea has done amazing with contact tracing in basically every other instance of cluster cases but in this case, 98% of the people that will be tested have had absolutely no contact with anyone from the factory outbreaks. This would be like if a single elementary school had a cluster of cases amongst its teachers, so they forced every single elementary school teacher in the province to get tested. It makes no sense to force someone to get a test that's had no contact to an infected person simply because they're a teacher, right? Right. Just like it doesn't make sense to test every single foreigner simply because they're a foreigner. You have never and will never see this happen with any kind of cluster case amongst majority Koreans, and that right there is the problem. Even with the Itaewon outbreak, which was caused by a Korean and infected majority Koreans, all the blame was shifted to foreigners.

Not to mention what's already been said in the thread about stupid rules with this. You have until March 22 to get tested. I got the official notice from my employer that I needed to get tested today, March 12, meaning I have another 10 days to get tested. If I really am infected, I will have potentially spread it to every coworker and student I work with by the deadline. Plus, even when I do get tested, there is no rule stating that you need to quarantine until you get your results as you usually need to. So, again, if you have it you could spread it to everyone you work with even if you do get the mandatory test meant to prevent its spread.

But unfortunately, even with all this ranting and frustration, there's nothing I or really anyone can do to change it. I don't mind having to get the test in the slightest. I mind the reason I need to get the test, which is simply that I'm not Korean. We're the dirty, diseased foreigners that apparently have a higher risk of catching covid simply because we're not Korean and all our yelling about how messed up that is isn't going to change any minds that believe otherwise.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
But unfortunately, even with all this ranting and frustration, there's nothing I or really anyone can do to change it. I don't mind having to get the test in the slightest. I mind the reason I need to get the test, which is simply that I'm not Korean. We're the dirty, diseased foreigners that apparently have a higher risk of catching covid simply because we're not Korean and all our yelling about how messed up that is isn't going to change any minds that believe otherwise.

Good summary of feelings I've said and things I agree with.

The last part, it's not totally futile. I've sent on the news to BBC, The Globe and Mail and Buzzfeed (like it or not, BF is MASSIVE).

People I've talked to have sent it to the big American ones. I've also contacted the Gyeonggi Ombudsman.

Is this a panacea? Of course not, but I think those who oppose this can at least NOT take this laying down.

When I get my orders, I'll go to. I'm not some revolutionary. We do things we disagree with every day. But I will let my opposition known. Whether that be through contacting the media, gov or just arguing my points on a message board.

I'm not trying to be a hero, but I am not going to shrug my shoulders and say "I can't do anything."

Call me an idealist, but there is power in numbers. You're only one person, but that's all anyone can ever be.

• njarlson
  • Adventurer

• March 02, 2021, 07:33:45 am
    • South Korea
Is this a panacea? Of course not, but I think those who oppose this can at least NOT take this laying down.

When I get my orders, I'll go to. I'm not some revolutionary. We do things we disagree with every day. But I will let my opposition known. Whether that be through contacting the media, gov or just arguing my points on a message board.

Let us know if it gets anywhere. I'd love to do something, I just wasn't sure what I could do. Maybe I'll try reaching out to news outlets as well. Good to know others are willing to fight the good fight.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
Let us know if it gets anywhere. I'd love to do something, I just wasn't sure what I could do. Maybe I'll try reaching out to news outlets as well. Good to know others are willing to fight the good fight.

If the BBC contacted me, AW MAN, that would make my year. G+M is closer to my heart (My dad worked there a long time ago) but BBC is, well it's that, CNN or Al Jazeera as far as global goes.