Read 2878 times

• albie2011
  • Adventurer

• June 08, 2011, 11:50:05 am
    • Anseong-si
Covid Test for all foreign workers in Gyeonggi-do?
« on: March 11, 2021, 10:30:46 am »
Hi! Are they requiring Covid testing of foreigners by March 22nd with a particular visa type or is it simply ALL foreigners in Gyeonggi-do?

http://tbs.seoul.kr/eFm/newsView.do?typ_800=P&idx_800=3426285&seq_800=

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20210308005800315
"For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbors, and laugh at them in our turn? Mr Bennet, 'Pride and Prejudice'

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
Re: Covid Test for all foreign workers in Gyeonggi-do?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2021, 10:51:32 am »
I'm foreign and I'm a worker. So that's how it looks at this point.

But the wording is ridiculous.

1) So, unemployed foreigners don't have to do it?
2) Rebecca, who teaches in rural Pyeongtaek has to do it? Because.......facto ries on the opposite side of the province? But her 46 Korean co-workers don't? Is that right?
3) You know I don't like to scream oppression, and I'm not OPPRESSED, but this is clear-cut racial discrimination. No one can argue the logic of this. It's Koreans and Non-Koreans. That's race based. It's inarguable.

Who dreams this shit up? Imagine Cuomo said that all East Asians were getting tested across the state. You can't imagine that. Because it's unimaginable.

How the hell do hundreds of SEA factory workers 100km away make it so that I need a test, or Rebecca in Pyeongtaek, for that matter?

Contact tracing exists BECAUSE we don't want to mass test for no reason.

If there was a massive outbreak and they said EVERYONE residing in a 1.5 km radius of the place, along with all related employees at the facility, needed to get tested, I'd suck it up and go. But, this doesn't make any sense. My principal is just as likely to have it as I do. So what gives?

And, yeah, when you test 85 000 people, some are gonna hit positive. But no more than any other random 85 000 people you pluck out of the population of residents.

You could mass test everyone in Gwacheon and you'd get some hits that you wouldn't have gotten otherwise. But it's really RANDOM to pick a group of people for no reason and test them. There's 70 teachers and 600 kids at my school. Clearly, I'm the issue. Sure. Fukkin 'ell.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 10:53:51 am by CO2 »
ETA 2day 4hour 45min to next reboot.
DO NOT UNPLUG

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2021, 10:55:18 am »
Hi! Are they requiring Covid testing of foreigners by March 22nd with a particular visa type or is it simply ALL foreigners in Gyeonggi-do?

Here's the actual Gyeonggi website. Second part is in English.

https://www.gg.go.kr/bbs/boardView.do?bIdx=18300979&bsIdx=464&bcIdx=519&menuId=1535&isManager=true&isCharge=true&page=1
DO NOT UNPLUG

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2021, 11:58:49 am »
Here's the actual Gyeonggi website. Second part is in English.

https://www.gg.go.kr/bbs/boardView.do?bIdx=18300979&bsIdx=464&bcIdx=519&menuId=1535&isManager=true&isCharge=true&page=1

I read this the other day as well, but it hasn't been mentioned to me at all, and I suspect what they meant by foreign workers were workers in close quarters in factories or dorms.  I'd test those scuzzy hakwan workers in a heartbeat though. 

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2021, 12:04:46 pm »

Who dreams this shit up? Imagine Cuomo said that all East Asians were getting tested across the state. You can't imagine that. Because it's unimaginable.

I'd say about 98% of Korea's f*ckups come from the AIC (Ajjushi in Charge).

The AIC does some stupid knee-jerk response, without consulting anyone or thinking it through and everyone just says "Yes, sir. No, sir. Three bags full."
AICs still live in their own little reality from the 50s and nobody is going to tell them otherwise. It's certainly possible that this is what's going on.

However...

It could simply be an issue of logistics. Perhaps they'll have interpreters or testers fluent in other languages available on that day to ask questions from the people they're testing?

• leaponover
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 12:08:16 pm
    • Iksan, S. Korea
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2021, 02:13:40 pm »
Imagine Cuomo said that all East Asians were getting tested across the state

Imagine coming up with an analogy that actually fits.  This is more like Cuomo saying that any people that aren't New York residents have to be tested.   Asians will be in the mix of those tested.  They aren't picking one race, they are just picking foreign Visa holders.  It's akin to saying they have to get a tuberculosis test to be employed.  Nothing even remotely dramatic as you are making it out to be.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2021, 03:00:04 pm »
Leaponover, it's still absolute horseshit. Perhaps my analogy isn't exact, but it's still absurd.

You test the places where there are outbreaks. The government might as well have said that anyone born on a Wednesday needs to get tested.

It's totally random. "Not Korean" is not a good indicator, sorry.
DO NOT UNPLUG

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2021, 03:22:20 pm »
Jeollanamdo also got an emergency message about any place, or school, with 1+ foreigners need to have them tested for covid.
Our coordinator said, that we only need to get one if the entire staff / school is getting one, but he is checking about this current message that was sent today.

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2021, 04:35:29 pm »
Leaponover, it's still absolute horseshit. Perhaps my analogy isn't exact, but it's still absurd.

You test the places where there are outbreaks. The government might as well have said that anyone born on a Wednesday needs to get tested.

It's totally random. "Not Korean" is not a good indicator, sorry.
I think one of the main reasons is that a number of these foreign workers are illegal or some other shadiness regarding their employment is taking place and this, combined with the amnesty is to try and get them tested given that there have been cluster outbreaks. Also, as far as Gyeonggi-do doing it and not individual cities or counties, this could be a way to ensure compliance across the board and not have some country try to dodge it.

Or it could be a total racist f-up. Just that there might be some things they have to deal with.

To put it in 4X game terms it would be something like this:

"An outbreak has taken place in your country, while all people are being affected there have some outbreaks amongst the migrant workers in Gyeonggi's Industrial Zone. Do you...

A) Test just the migrant workers in the zone (Cost 100 Gold, Production -1 for 5 turns, 50,000 workers "safe" status, 30% chance that virus returns and -5 production for 10 turns)
B) Test all migrant workers in Gyeonggi's City Radius ( Cost 120 Gold, Production -2 for 5 turns, 85,000 workers "safe" status, -5 happiness immigrant faction, +10 happiness Nationalists, +10 happiness Mothers factions )
C) Test the entire population of Gyeonggi (Cost 10000 Gold, Production -5 for 5 turns, 5 million workers "safe status", Gyeonggi Province: -5 happiness all factions)
D) Do Nothing...

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2021, 04:37:48 pm »
This is very reminiscent of the AIDS testing for foreigners because of...well, they're foreigners.

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2021, 12:10:10 am »
Suncheon Jeollanamdo sent out a message requiring foreigners to get tested also. 

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2021, 07:33:56 am »
Increasing random testing will obviously lead to more positive cases.  Those positive cases will have to be quarantined for two weeks.  What if they are a factory worker that lives in a dorm?  It's going to lead to lost productivity and be quietly shelved is my prediction. 

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2021, 09:51:11 am »
Is anyone going to refuse to get tested? Those who are planning not to renew their contracts this summer ought to make an issue out of it.

Increasing random testing will obviously lead to more positive cases.  Those positive cases will have to be quarantined for two weeks.  What if they are a factory worker that lives in a dorm?  It's going to lead to lost productivity and be quietly shelved is my prediction. 

They would be quarantined at a 'treatment centre' like everyone else who tests positive in Korea.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2021, 10:17:41 am »
They would be quarantined at a 'treatment centre' like everyone else who tests positive in Korea.

What? People can't quarantine at their own home?
DO NOT UNPLUG

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2021, 10:25:45 am »
Me complaining about the Corona Test Discrimination Cluster F

Some other guy: "This really sounds like a white guy jealous of all the attention minorities are getting lately and trying to claim that he too, is discriminated against."

WHY are people like this?
DO NOT UNPLUG

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2021, 10:36:31 am »
What? People can't quarantine at their own home?

Not if they test positive. They have to go to a quarantine centre where they're fed convenience store meals three times a day and not allowed to drink alcohol.

• SPQR
  • Expert Waygook

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Sierra Leone
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2021, 12:56:57 pm »
Not if they test positive. They have to go to a quarantine centre where they're fed convenience store meals three times a day and not allowed to drink alcohol.

How do they know if you're boozing?

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2021, 12:59:14 pm »
How do they know if you're boozing?
Wot? If they control your food supply and you can't leave.............. ...... wot
DO NOT UNPLUG

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2021, 01:13:53 pm »
Wot? If they control your food supply and you can't leave.............. ...... wot
Nah, man. I took that Jeju mandarin they threw in and took the juice and started fermenting that shit over the heater.

Also, they're in for a surprise when they see what I did with the chopsticks and cellophane wrap.

• SPQR
  • Expert Waygook

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Sierra Leone
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2021, 01:40:19 pm »

Really? They decide what you eat?  I didn't realize it was that weird.

How does that fight corona?  How about if you had duty free? What
if you loaded your luggage with goodies before you got there?