Read 912 times

New Counsellors (Job) in Elementary Schools?
« on: March 04, 2021, 10:11:09 am »
This is for elementary (public) schools only.
In all my years I've worked in this system, I've never once seen an elementary school that had a full-time dedicated
counsellor.   I'm not 100% sure if that is what my school has now but it's just been a couple days and asking about it
just out of curiosity.

The office for this "counsellor" job / role is in the vicinity of my english zone / room.  So that is why I noticed it because I'm having to see this person all the time in my space now which is a little uncomfortable. 

AFAIK, this teacher/job doesn't have actual "classes".  So at no point during the days, are there any classes running.  The counsellor is just there all day doing what, I do not know.   Obviously I can see how some situations could require a counsellor like badly behaving children or mental issues that need tending to, but to the extent that it requires a full-time 9-5 presence of a counsellor at our school?  I'm really confused by this and the allocation of resources to this role.

Our schools already have a full-time special education teacher.  Isn't it redundant?  They pretty much take care of special needs students.  Do elementary school students need a counsellor that bad?  We have a full-time nurse, and homeroom teachers often do counselling for their own students (ie. sit them down alone and have talks with them. I've seen this all the time in my years homeroom teachers having time and talks with individual students).   

Just curious if all your elementary schools also received a full-time counsellor and new office/classroom just for this position?  It seems extremely ODD.

Re: New Counsellors (Job) in Elementary Schools?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2021, 01:09:40 pm »
We have a teacher like that at my school. I think itís called a care teacher or wei or something. Basically a safe space for kids to go to. Not sure how  it works. Bullying, home issues, even nutrition I think (if itís an issue). Not sure why having this teacher near you is weird for you though.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 01:13:29 pm by thunderlips »

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2021, 02:03:28 pm »
They put one in a few years ago next to the English class.  She is only there twice a week I think.  Likely goes to another school the rest of the time.  Kids that have some issues go there and play games or work with her.  And at least a couple of the students that were in there are outgoing and well-behaved in class so not sure what exactly they do there.

To second Thunderlips, why would her presence make you uncomfortable? 

• pkjh
  • The Legend

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
    • Asia
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2021, 03:15:56 pm »
One of my old middle school English ct became a counsellor part-time. He had to take extra course, and do extra training. He said it was much more stress free then teaching English.

• starryella
  • Veteran

• November 07, 2019, 04:29:39 pm
    • Busan, South Korea
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2021, 07:32:34 am »
My school has a school counselor, I don't know if it is their full-time job but it seemed like a pretty obvious thing to me.

Every American elementary, middle, and high school I ever went to had a full-time guidance counselor for the students. In many cases guidance can mean academic guidance rather than psychological guidance, for kids who struggle in school or need alternative instruction. I don't know if that's how it works here, but having someone like this on staff seems pretty basic to me.

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2021, 12:11:00 pm »
Many kids just go in there and play games during break, or if they're acting up in class they go there and are talked to. Home issues, all like said above. He seems like he is never really doing anything. I think he has to write up some year end reports, but during the year I swear he is either playing games or day trading.

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2021, 01:49:13 pm »
In elementary school the counsellor is not for academic guidance.  They are not trying to apply for University or even need to worry about what career they want to choose at this point in their lives.  Yes, for middle school and HS.

In a small school (under 100 students), yes, it seems like this counsellor job is really stress free and literally have "nothing to do" and
I mean that in a good way.  Of course they are probably working on documents, administrative work, and have to prepare or submit
some kind of report weekly or something, but I mean, there is no class, no students, no programming as far as I can tell.  They are just there.

I think you might be right.  The counsellor might only be here 3 days a week or less.  We'll see.  This week everyone is setting up their rooms and preparing stuff so maybe the person is here everyday but we'll see next week.

Yes, I do agree and know that some kids may have issues at home or bullying and need some guidance, but a full-time counsellor?  If it's a part-time thing, then I'll understand and have no questions about it but if it's full-time, wow, that's just overkill.  We have special ed teachers and a couple after school care teachers (mother-like figures) who already take care of some kids who want to play or need to stay at school longer etc.   

This is just the first time I've seen a counsellor in an elementary school full-time (assuming) in 11 years I've been in Korea so that's why it was unusual to me.   

The reason why it is a little uncomfortable is because I used to have my own "space" and not be conscientious about someone else nearby.  We share the same sink, garbage, and even though their room has a door which is usually closed, I can still hear the counsellor coughing or doing things in there which means they can hear me too.    It's kinda like when you live in a one-room and your bathroom wall is shared with the next door neighbor and when you both happen to be using the bathroom at the same time, you can hear them take a shit.  Uncomfortable yes.

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2021, 02:34:24 pm »
Ohh yeah I didn't realize you meant all up in your sheet. Yeah well that's life I guess. If you want the door shut start farting loudly and stinkily (?).

• starryella
  • Veteran

• November 07, 2019, 04:29:39 pm
    • Busan, South Korea
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2021, 01:14:03 pm »
Academic guidance does not have to mean career guidance. It can mean dealing with students whose academic performance is suffering for whatever reason. Students who need assistance or special support.

Again, I do not know if that is what the counselor provides in Korea. But my comment was not referring to university or career guidance.