Read 3843 times

Re: Dude fired from EPIK for not disclosing tattoo.
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2021, 05:43:02 am »
No, I'm pretty sure that even in this day and age you'll see correlations between certain levels and approaches of tattooing and risky behavior, impulsive decision making, heck I bet you could take it down to the biological level and look at brain scans and see those things.

Again, as I said, it's not a rule and you have to distinguish between people who randomly get inked up on impulse vs. connoisseurs who take pride and care and plan their tattoos.

Also, just because someone is impulsive at getting tattoos doesn't mean they're wholly unfit for employment, but I would be cautious about hiring them for a job requiring high levels of patience, tolerance to stress, customer service, accountability, etc, especially as a first-timer.

You obviously have never worked in restaurants or bars. Very high stress and lots of tattoos. Itís ok to not be knowledgeable on a specific topic, but then you probably should just admit it.

« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2021, 04:00:57 pm »
Now, I can't say for sure, based on a two week vacation in NZ, but my impression was that tattooing is part of Maori culture.  Were your tats a big surprise (and I'm assuming from your name that you're not Maori)?

Not really. A few kids were a little surprised, but it was an unusual situation. Teachers don't generally strip down to their togs in front of teenage students, and most of them lived with a tattooed parent (s).
This particular section was in a very low decile school, with a number of kids from pretty rough homes. I met some of the parents at a teacher/parent meeting, and many were covered in prison tats. A few were obvious gang members based on what ink I could see (swastikas tend to stand out).
My ink was never a problem as there is nothing visible below the biceps, and, I was always up front at job or school interviews.
And yeah, I'm not Maori or a Pacific Islander. I haven't lived in NZ for 27 years, but I believe cultural or tribal tattoos are far more common these days. Back then, a Ta moko (facial tattoo) was rare-ish (although one of my mates had it done), but again far more common now, even with members of parliament.

« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2021, 04:56:51 pm »

You obviously have never worked in restaurants or bars. Very high stress and lots of tattoos. Itís ok to not be knowledgeable on a specific topic, but then you probably should just admit it.
If you've worked in restaurants  you'd also know employees have high rates of smoking, and usually at least one employee is having everyone sign their AA meeting sheet for court. Thats before you get to at least two people being small time pot dealers, a couple being ex-cons, and at least one who is flirting a bit too hard with meth or smack.

You were saying about me not knowing anything about restaurants?

Also, not sure how some 45 year old with tats working in a kitchen he'll quit in 6 -18 months proves your point.

« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2021, 09:19:43 am »
ps. Doing my teaching practical at an elite catholic school in South Africa right now, and the Korean in me is shocked to see teachers making zero effort to cover their ink.
We had teachers at my highschool in SA that had tattoos and they never covered them. And I went to a private school. I think as long as the tattoos weren't explicit, it was fine to show them. heck, our teachers even recommended artists for us to go to

« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2021, 10:00:35 am »
Found some more undesirables with tats

If you've worked in restaurants  you'd also know employees have high rates of smoking, and usually at least one employee is having everyone sign their AA meeting sheet for court. Thats before you get to at least two people being small time pot dealers, a couple being ex-cons, and at least one who is flirting a bit too hard with meth or smack.

You were saying about me not knowing anything about restaurants?

Also, not sure how some 45 year old with tats working in a kitchen he'll quit in 6 -18 months proves your point.
Most cooks Iíve met quit for a better job as a cook somewhere else.

• CO4
  • Adventurer

• April 22, 2020, 07:49:38 pm
    • All seeing eye
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2021, 10:02:57 am »
Thats before you get to at least two people being small time pot dealers, a couple being ex-cons, and at least one who is flirting a bit too hard with meth or smack.

Oh yeah, I keep meaning to ask you, how was your time living and working in an episode of The Wire?

« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2021, 10:28:15 am »
Oh yeah, I keep meaning to ask you, how was your time living and working in an episode of The Wire?

Having worked in restaurants for over a decade I can say that while DeMartino's description isn't an exhaustive list of those who work in kitchens, it's certainly not wrong.

Except for the smack. No one can afford to nod off while cooking. That's what cocaine is for.

« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2021, 10:51:06 am »
Having worked in restaurants for over a decade I can say that while DeMartino's description isn't an exhaustive list of those who work in kitchens, it's certainly not wrong.

Except for the smack. No one can afford to nod off while cooking. That's what cocaine is for.

Well to be fair front of the house is just as bad, but are usually more pleasing to the eye (males and females).

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2021, 10:58:27 am »
front of the house are usually more pleasing to the eye
very true (i was front of house for a summer in college). i heard all kinds of wacky stuff. did some time as expo too and spent some good "quality time" near the kitchen
more gg more skill

« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2021, 11:17:58 am »
Found some more undesirables with tats

Most cooks Iíve met quit for a better job as a cook somewhere else.
And? I said there were, broadly-speaking, two types of people who get tats and their thought processes.

But there's no debating that statistically those with tats are more likely to be impulsive and lack long-term thinking skills and a engage in riskier behavior, be more self-centered, etc. It's not a rule, but it is a probability and a risk.

Not sure restaurant cooks are really the horse you want to tie your cart to.

« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2021, 12:03:32 pm »
And? I said there were, broadly-speaking, two types of people who get tats and their thought processes.

But there's no debating that statistically those with tats are more likely to be impulsive and lack long-term thinking skills and a engage in riskier behavior, be more self-centered, etc. It's not a rule, but it is a probability and a risk.

Not sure restaurant cooks are really the horse you want to tie your cart to.

Haha itís actually you who are focusing solely on cooks. I said restaurant/bars off the bat. Nice try for the old demary switcharoo!

« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2021, 12:35:30 pm »
Haha itís actually you who are focusing solely on cooks. I said restaurant/bars off the bat. Nice try for the old demary switcharoo!
Okay, restaurant employees. Again, not the horse I'd hitch my cart to.

Great guys and friends, generally not pinnacles of impulse control and long-term thought.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 12:37:02 pm by Mr.DeMartino »