Read 3844 times

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
Dude fired from EPIK for not disclosing tattoo.
« on: March 02, 2021, 02:38:50 pm »
Summary of reddit post below:::

https://www.reddit.com/r/teachinginkorea/comments/lry475/getting_kicked_out_of_epik_during_orientation/

"""Getting kicked out of EPIK during orientation. Help please.
Long story short, I have got my contract cancelled even though I went through quarantine and almost all of orientation costing me alot. EPIK is forcing me to leave as soon as possible and will provide me nothing. I wanted to know if I can change my visa to somewhere else and what I need to do. they say they are cancelling my visa and must leave Korea.

I am being removed for tattoos that i didn't list on my application. Can they do this? Can I appeal this anywhere legally?

Very confused about what to do. Do I just go home? Try to get a new visa and job? Argue with EPIK?

Been shaking not knowing what to do.""""

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
Re: Dude fired from EPIK for not disclosing tattoo.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 03:32:40 pm »
Summary of reddit post below:::

https://www.reddit.com/r/teachinginkorea/comments/lry475/getting_kicked_out_of_epik_during_orientation/

"""Getting kicked out of EPIK during orientation. Help please.
Long story short, I have got my contract cancelled even though I went through quarantine and almost all of orientation costing me alot. EPIK is forcing me to leave as soon as possible and will provide me nothing. I wanted to know if I can change my visa to somewhere else and what I need to do. they say they are cancelling my visa and must leave Korea.

I am being removed for tattoos that i didn't list on my application. Can they do this? Can I appeal this anywhere legally?

Very confused about what to do. Do I just go home? Try to get a new visa and job? Argue with EPIK?

Been shaking not knowing what to do.""""

I remember that. This is when I break out my old chestnut.

Did he deserve to be canned? No, not necessarily.

Should anyone be shocked that he got canned? No, not necessarily.

----------------------

He has a bloody HAND tattoo, FFS. Like, why would you lie about that? You gonna wear gloves in July? 

The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• annataleen
  • Moderator LVL 1

• May 02, 2014, 01:27:07 pm
    • Incheon
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 03:36:14 pm »
There was a woman who posted in LOFT on Facebook about this over the weekend.

She said she isn't the one who posted on reddit.

She was ejected from orientation for not disclosing her tattoos as well. They were seen during the medical check.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 04:09:37 pm »
People: If you tell a lie on a job application, it does not matter if the lie is about something important or not. The issue isn't about tattoos, it is about honesty.

• stoat
  • The Legend

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 08:28:12 pm »
I bet that nowhere on that thread do they really discuss whether it was a good idea to get a tattoo in the first place.  The consensus will probably be that tattoos are everyone's right to express themselves, everyone should tolerate other people's right to look or act how they want. A bit like like gay marriage, trans rights etc. everyone will have to accept it in the end, except bigoted, narrow minded people,  and all prejudice will eventually disappear. In 20 years time virtually everyone will have one, facial tattoos will be common place and people who object to them will be cancelled.

The only problem is that tattoos are just a fashion statement,  not an immutable characteristic and, while it might be true that everyone will be sporting visible tattoos in the future, it might also be true that they'll go out of fashion. A bit like a short haircut was in the 1970s. Only people who had long hair in the 1970s were at least able to have a haircut when it ceased to be trendy.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 07:03:09 am by stoat »

• KimDuHan
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 15, 2015, 11:48:59 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2021, 04:29:40 am »
He lied and got fired!

Donít lie to your employer!!

• DocH
  • Adventurer

• March 01, 2021, 11:25:39 am
    • pub
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2021, 08:39:20 am »
So, for EPIK...he had to arrive in Korea WITH his E-2 visa, yes?

Well...is he not able to have a certain amount of time before he actually has to leave the country?  Perhaps he could get another position...

But...if it is not visible, who gives a sh-t?  Does the EPIK application specifically ask if any tattoos can be seen or just having tattoos in general?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 02:00:49 am by DocH »

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2021, 10:27:34 am »
From that reddit thread:

"I literally canít disclose my rib or upper thigh tattoo because there isnít enough room to type in the application. It cuts me off and I had to shorten my reply. Iíve only input my visible arm and ankle tattoos."

#millenialproblems

• njarlson
  • Waygookin

• March 02, 2021, 07:33:45 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2021, 10:46:35 am »
Moral of the story: don't lie or lie by omission. I have quite a few small tattoos on my arms, behind my ear, back of the neck, ankle... All of them can be covered easily, so I was totally upfront about them on my application and was asked to send photos. In my interview, she asked me to show her a couple so I rolled up my sleeves and showed her what would be the easiest one to see if my sleeve pulled up, which also happens to be my smallest tattoo on the inside of my wrist. Despite having so many, EPIK was totally fine and I was accepted with no problem. I just wear long sleeves to work, even in the summer (light cardigans usually) though my school doesn't seem to care at all. At least once a month during summer a worried teacher will tell me to take my cardigan off because it's hot and insist that showing my tattoos is fine lol. I still keep them covered with makeup/bandaids in case a parent might get upset.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2021, 10:58:15 am »
From that reddit thread:

"I literally canít disclose my rib or upper thigh tattoo because there isnít enough room to type in the application. It cuts me off and I had to shorten my reply. Iíve only input my visible arm and ankle tattoos."

#millenialproblems

"5 tattoos total, 3 visible."

Why would you itemise them?? "I have a large golden hawk with a snake in its mouth swooping down and the colour of it is................."

hahahahaha

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2021, 11:19:40 am »
I just wear long sleeves to work, even in the summer (light cardigans usually) though my school doesn't seem to care at all. At least once a month during summer a worried teacher will tell me to take my cardigan off because it's hot and insist that showing my tattoos is fine lol. I still keep them covered with makeup/bandaids in case a parent might get upset.

Does seem like a lot of unnecessary work to keep them hidden, I suppose the laymans question would be: are they actually worth all the hassle?

• njarlson
  • Waygookin

• March 02, 2021, 07:33:45 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2021, 11:47:08 am »
Does seem like a lot of unnecessary work to keep them hidden, I suppose the laymans question would be: are they actually worth all the hassle?

It's not too much work for me personally. I typically like having my arms covered anyway so I rarely go without some kind of long sleeve and usually stick to the thin cardigan in summer because I don't want to bother with bandaids or makeup. But it depends on the person; I personally love my tattoos and want to get more so I find the bit of extra hassle worth it, but other people wouldn't.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2021, 12:01:47 pm »
I bet that nowhere on that thread do they really discuss whether it was a good idea to get a tattoo in the first place.  The consensus will probably be that tattoos are everyone's right to express themselves, everyone should tolerate other people's right to look or act how they want. A bit like like gay marriage, trans rights etc. everyone will have to accept it in the end, except bigoted, narrow minded people,  and all prejudice will eventually disappear. In 20 years time virtually everyone will have one, facial tattoos will be common place and people who object to them will be cancelled.

The only problem is that tattoos are just a fashion statement,  not an immutable characteristic and, while it might be true that everyone will be sporting visible tattoos in the future, it might also be true that they'll go out of fashion. A bit like a short haircut was in the 1970s. Only people who had long hair in the 1970s were at least able to have a haircut when it ceased to be trendy.

Donald Trump as businessman and candidate in 2015 said "We have pretty much given up on tattoos".  So, I thought they had more acceptance, but I guess many companies still don't want.  I don't like them myself and never got one.  I don't like them on me nor on chicks.  I could care less whether someone else actually gets one though.  I guess you have to get it on parts of your body you can cover up.  Upper arm or chest or upper leg.  (I wouldn't want to wear turtle necks or long sleeves in the summer all the time.   To each their own.)

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2021, 11:39:39 am »
There was a woman who posted in LOFT on Facebook about this over the weekend.

She said she isn't the one who posted on reddit.

She was ejected from orientation for not disclosing her tattoos as well. They were seen during the medical check.

Seen during the medical check but not visible fully clothed?  How would EPIK know about tattoos on hidden parts of the body?  I guess doctor patient privilege means nothing here still?  Of course doctors would tell on the medical report if she had any medical conditions but something private and non medical.  What's next, revealing a mole on the ass? 

Even though I don't like tattoos (mostly), it should still be their private business and no one else's as long they cover up during work hours.  If the tattoos aren't visible I mean.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2021, 12:12:47 pm »
Yeah, hankook77, I don't get it. I get warned about my alcohol intake EVERY year and they don't write that down. So why a tattoo? I've never taken my shirt off or my pants so how are they seeing these tattoos and then writing them in the "Additional Info" column.

I'm not saying it didn't happen, but HOW? What happened there? Makes no sense.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2021, 12:16:02 pm »
Yeah, hankook77, I don't get it. I get warned about my alcohol intake EVERY year and they don't write that down. So why a tattoo? I've never taken my shirt off or my pants so how are they seeing these tattoos and then writing them in the "Additional Info" column.

I'm not saying it didn't happen, but HOW? What happened there? Makes no sense.

Can't argue with you there.  I forgot about not taking off the shirt for the x ray.  Must be pretty modern and advanced machines they use here for that. 

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2021, 12:26:14 pm »
They make me take MY shirt off, but they give me a scrub shirt to wear, and I change in a dressing room.

It's possible that he was wearing a shirt with buttons or something, and the tech wanted him to remove the shirt.

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2021, 12:54:10 pm »
EPIK understands

Some tribesman from the Amazon gets a tattoo after going through a manhood initiation of wearing bullet ant gloves for 6hrs - acceptable

Yakuza member gets tattoo as part of their initiation or to illustrate their rank or deeds - acceptable

Middle-class Mike gets a tattoo to "express himself" and hide the fact that the most dangerous thing he did was take a sip of milk past it's expiry date - words cannot express your degree of lameness and you have no business infecting children with your banality.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2021, 12:55:23 pm »
A friend had the xray done and they found what looked like a paperclip embedded in his lung lining. They took several more xrays before they realized it was in the lining of  his shirt.
Ironically, he ended up testing positive for TB antigens (although he was allowed to work in Korea, as it was for the latent, acceptable sort of TB).

• stoat
  • The Legend

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2021, 01:08:30 pm »
I wonder what EPIK would feel about tattooed eyeballs. Here's a cautionary tale for you.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/02/28/woman-goes-blind-eyeballs-tattooed-black-12317847/