Read 916 times

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
Woody Allen v. Farrow HBO "documentary"...
« on: February 24, 2021, 12:23:27 pm »
I've enjoyed a number of Woody Allen films over the years and read some of his books in university.  So, in the past year I bought his autobiography "Apropos of Nothing" and it had a lot of information (that is mostly, if not all, verifiable) that surprised me.  Now, in light of the one-sided Allen v. Farrow HBO series  I think it's topical to bring some up.  There are a lot of assumptions that I made, and that I was just reading in some YouTube comments that others also made, that are completely wrong.

First, I thought he and Mia Farrow were a long time married couple.  Turns out not only were they never married, but they never lived together. 

Second, Soon -Yi Previn was not his stepdaughter at one point.  She never was, as her last name Previn should make obvious.  She was adopted by Mia and her then husband Andre Previn.  I think that was his name.  He did adopt Dylan and Ronan was his biological son. 

Third, the big court drama that played out years back (younger people probably don't recall) was a custody trial only.  He was investigated thoroughly for molesting Dylan and the conclusion of the police and the Yale Child Service experts was that it didn't happen and Dylan was coached to say that.  Charges were never brought against him for that.

I saw some YT commenter saying he had photos of  a nude Soon-Yi at 10.  They both acknowledge that as they began their clandestine romance when she was legal that in her early twenties they took some Polaroids and Mia found them.  It may have looked creepy, he's hardly the picture of a robust, fit older man, but it was all legal. 

The son Moses has claimed numerous times Mia was abusive, as has Soon-Yi.  He had some degenerative leg condition that required braces, and even though the technology allowed for stronger braces that could be worn under clothing, Mia insisted he keep the bulky metal ones that had to be worn outside the clothing so people could see what kind of saint she was for adopting a handicapped kid. 

Anyways, I thought with this "documentary" series coming up it would be good to share my opinion that it's a one-sided farce and hatchet job. 

Lots of other things he says about the situation in his memoir, but I'm trying to avoid putting down the subjective or anecdotal.  And I am no expert, so I stand ready to be corrected. 

« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 01:48:20 pm by OnNut81 »

Re: Woody Allen v. Farrow HBO "documentary"...
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 01:28:06 pm »
Here's pretty much everything about it (emphasis on everything):

http://www.ruthlessreviews.com/20881/woody-allen-allegations-everything-nothing/

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 03:56:22 pm »
This is all I can ever think of when I hear Woody Allen

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• Anyang
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2021, 07:57:44 am »
This is all I can ever think of when I hear Woody Allen

"That's the joke."  Good one. When The Simpsons was still funny and edgy.  I'd like to see the first decade of that show pop up on Netflix or Amazon. 

• uninvitedlark
  • Explorer

• April 03, 2020, 08:53:43 am
    • South Korea
    more
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2021, 08:46:32 am »
The whole case is very interesting with very polar sides.

I have yet to read Ronan's Catch and Kill and Allen's Apropros for Nothing .

I especially remember finding Moses' personal experience of it all very interesting.

It's here if anyone's interested:

http://mosesfarrow.blogspot.com/2018/05/a-son-speaks-out-by-moses-farrow.html

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• Anyang
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2021, 09:18:01 am »
The whole case is very interesting with very polar sides.

I have yet to read Ronan's Catch and Kill and Allen's Apropros for Nothing .

I especially remember finding Moses' personal experience of it all very interesting.

It's here if anyone's interested:

http://mosesfarrow.blogspot.com/2018/05/a-son-speaks-out-by-moses-farrow.html

An excellent and very telling read.  For all The Kate Winslet's that are standing up and saying they regret working with Woody Allen in knee jerk fashion, they might want to read Moses' account. 

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2021, 11:19:59 am »
"That's the joke."  Good one. When The Simpsons was still funny and edgy.  I'd like to see the first decade of that show pop up on Netflix or Amazon. 

Seeing as how it's already on Disney+ it's unlikely to show up on another streaming platform.

• raysmith
  • Super Waygook

• August 16, 2012, 07:01:58 am
    • Korea
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2021, 08:27:20 am »
I look forward to seeing the documentary.   I also enjoyed reading the first post by OnNut81.   

One of my pet hates is when people are judged unfairly.  I have seen it happen several times in my lifetime.   Unfortunately I have seen it happen in a church environment quite often.   Despite what the Bible says about judging others.

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2021, 08:53:10 am »
All I need to know about it, I read in this article more than a week ago:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/allen-v-farrow-is-a-horrifying-indictment-of-woody-allen

The key thing I recall from it is that people walked in on Allen in the act. Specifically, I believe it was some babysitters who witnessed it. The OP's defense of Allen does not mention their specific allegations, so I can hardly consider it an effective defense. That someone felt the urge to defend Woody Allen so strenuously here, is probably the most morally reprehensible thing I have ever seen on this forum. For Christ's sake, this site is for the use of English teachers in Korea; no one here should so be so readily dismissive of reports of child abuse. And the fact that Allen is good at film-making has nothing to do with what he might or might not have done behind closed doors.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2021, 08:54:28 am »
One of my pet hates is when people are judged unfairly.  I have seen it happen several times in my lifetime.   Unfortunately I have seen it happen in a church environment quite often.   Despite what the Bible says about judging others.
I had a friend tell me that they don't like Steven Yeun and won't see his TV/movies cuz they read a story about him yelling at a woman at a dog park.

Am I the only one who doesn't give ANY fu**s about what celebrities do in their private lives? Like, clearly if a celeb is a convicted pedo, and they write a book, I'm not going to buy the book. But watching Seven on Netflix? Yeah, Spacey is in it. He's one person in the movie out of thousands of people. Do people forget catering? And lighting people? And drivers? It takes a thousand people to make a Hollywood movie.

If I told you that the butcher at your local Lotte Mart drinks too much and yells at his wife, would you stop shopping there? Or would you go to Emart and then I could surprise you with, "Oh the manager there got a girl drunk in uni 30 years ago and took advantage of her." Well, then you'll go to the local mart! Well guess what? The woman behind the counter doesn't like black people. You're screwed. Better start picking weeds off the side of the highway for your salads.
ETA 2day 4hour 45min to next reboot.
DO NOT UNPLUG

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• Anyang
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2021, 09:41:34 am »
All I need to know about it, I read in this article more than a week ago:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/allen-v-farrow-is-a-horrifying-indictment-of-woody-allen

The key thing I recall from it is that people walked in on Allen in the act. Specifically, I believe it was some babysitters who witnessed it. The OP's defense of Allen does not mention their specific allegations, so I can hardly consider it an effective defense. That someone felt the urge to defend Woody Allen so strenuously here, is probably the most morally reprehensible thing I have ever seen on this forum. For Christ's sake, this site is for the use of English teachers in Korea; no one here should so be so readily dismissive of reports of child abuse. And the fact that Allen is good at film-making has nothing to do with what he might or might not have done behind closed doors.

All you need to know about it you got from one source?  So you were just looking to confirm what you already "knew.'  If you got "strenuously defend Woody Allen" from my post as opposed to presenting another side to the story I'm already kind of forming a picture of a sputtering "woke" individual here.  Definitely you'll be bringing some excitement to this board, no doubt. 

It's too bad you're only willing to read one source, as sources on both sides acknowledge that the accusation of child abuse was not readily dismissed, but rather thoroughly investigated.  And it was concluded by at least two independent teams of experts that it couldn't have happened.  And forget about the housekeepers who testified it didn't happen and were fired because they wouldn't go along with what Mia wanted them to say.  Just rely on the babysitter's that didn't want to get fired and went along. 

But, thanks for the righteous faux indignation.  This is a serious site for English teacher's in Korea for Christ's sake (it's actually for any and all foreigners in Korea).  Let's not look into whether there's another side to the story or cast doubt on the reputably upstanding Mia Farrow (just ask her friend Dory Previn.) Let's just get the pitchforks out.  For Chrissakes people! 

• raysmith
  • Super Waygook

• Korea
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2021, 09:46:54 am »
Has Allen ever been convicted of a crime regarding this issue?  That is the real issue.   People like Weinstein and Cosby had accusers AND they were both convicted in a court of law.

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• Anyang
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2021, 09:47:45 am »

If I told you that the butcher at your local Lotte Mart drinks too much and yells at his wife, would you stop shopping there? Or would you go to Emart and then I could surprise you with, "Oh the manager there got a girl drunk in uni 30 years ago and took advantage of her." Well, then you'll go to the local mart! Well guess what? The woman behind the counter doesn't like black people. You're screwed. Better start picking weeds off the side of the highway for your salads.

How do you know all this?  If you got any dirt on my butcher up by the Sanbon Burger King I don't want to hear it.  He knows what I want and always cuts the membrane off the back of my rack of ribs for me and won't slice them into riblets.   Even if he is a feline serial killer by night or drinks FiLite, keep it to yourself. 

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2021, 09:55:50 am »
How do you know all this?  If you got any dirt on my butcher up by the Sanbon Burger King I don't want to hear it.  He knows what I want and always cuts the membrane off the back of my rack of ribs for me and won't slice them into riblets.   Even if he is a feline serial killer by night or drinks FiLite, keep it to yourself. 

Actually, I heard he volunteers at a homeless shelter in Yeongdeungpo. 10% of the profit from his butcher shop goes into buying meals for the underprivileged.

He also puts cat boxes in the park and has taken some home and then adopted them.
ETA 2day 4hour 45min to next reboot.
DO NOT UNPLUG

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• Anyang
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2021, 10:19:55 am »
Actually, I heard he volunteers at a homeless shelter in Yeongdeungpo. 10% of the profit from his butcher shop goes into buying meals for the underprivileged.

He also puts cat boxes in the park and has taken some home and then adopted them.

That I can live with. 

• raysmith
  • Super Waygook

• Korea
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2021, 11:41:42 am »
This is a section of a guardian article.   29 May 2020.   I have attached a link to the full article

"So the old allegation against Allen has been accorded more power than it ever had, especially among a generation that was barely born in the 90s. He is now routinely named – by journalists, the Farrows and the public – alongside Harvey Weinstein and Bill Cosby, both of whom are convicted of multiple offences, their crimes going back decades. I covered the Weinstein and Cosby cases, as well as many other stories about high-profile men either convicted or accused of sexual offences: Michael Jackson, R Kelly, Jimmy Savile, Jeffrey Epstein, Larry Nassar. All of them were accused of attacking multiple victims; their pattern of predatory behaviour spanned their lifetime. Allen was accused of one instance of molestation and not only was he not convicted, but he was never even charged........."

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/may/29/do-i-really-care-woody-allen-comes-out-fighting

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• Anyang
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2021, 12:22:17 pm »
This is a section of a guardian article.   29 May 2020.   I have attached a link to the full article

"So the old allegation against Allen has been accorded more power than it ever had, especially among a generation that was barely born in the 90s. He is now routinely named – by journalists, the Farrows and the public – alongside Harvey Weinstein and Bill Cosby, both of whom are convicted of multiple offences, their crimes going back decades. I covered the Weinstein and Cosby cases, as well as many other stories about high-profile men either convicted or accused of sexual offences: Michael Jackson, R Kelly, Jimmy Savile, Jeffrey Epstein, Larry Nassar. All of them were accused of attacking multiple victims; their pattern of predatory behaviour spanned their lifetime. Allen was accused of one instance of molestation and not only was he not convicted, but he was never even charged........."

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/may/29/do-i-really-care-woody-allen-comes-out-fighting

That was another article that lays out the facts and allegations nicely.  I think this excerpt was spot on.  Some people want to believe it happened despite evidence to the contrary.

“You can give people the testimony by those who worked in the house,” Allen says, referring to the Farrow children’s nanny, Monica Thompson, who gave two sworn affidavits saying Mia had tried to coax her into backing the molestation charge, then said Allen “was always the better parent and all the things Farrow is saying about him are not true”.

Allen continues: “You can give them the facts over and over. But the facts don’t matter. For some reason, emotionally, it’s important for them to buy into the story.”