Read 3708 times

• NMonk
  • Veteran

• March 04, 2011, 05:39:39 pm
    • Seoul
What's the best luck you've ever had?
« on: May 19, 2011, 05:00:50 pm »
I just found 100000won in my sock draw and seen as there's been so many 'serious' threads here recently I though this would be a bit of fun!!!
Check out http://alienteachers.com for my blog, FREE lesson plans featured by the British Council and general living in Korea resources.

Re: What's the best luck you've ever had?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 05:24:05 pm »
I was so desperate for bacon I was going to take a KTX ride to the nearest Costco, then I found some at the import store here.  I dropped 50K on bacon that day and felt like a king.

• Jozigirl
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 03, 2011, 07:37:47 am
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 05:25:54 pm »
I was so desperate for bacon I was going to take a KTX ride to the nearest Costco, then I found some at the import store here.  I dropped 50K on bacon that day and felt like a king.

50K on bacon! Don't they sell bacon at your local E-mart or Lotte mart or whatever large mart is in your town?

• NMonk
  • Veteran

• Seoul
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 05:26:20 pm »

haha, the best luck you've ever had is spending 50k on bacon?! You must LOVE bacon :D
Check out http://alienteachers.com for my blog, FREE lesson plans featured by the British Council and general living in Korea resources.

• NMonk
  • Veteran

• Seoul
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 05:27:31 pm »

50K on bacon! Don't they sell bacon at your local E-mart or Lotte mart or whatever large mart is in your town?

I presume he is non-American, cos we have really different bacon in Europe, OZ, NZ etc so maybe he wanted this. (I Presume!!!)

• Jozigirl
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 03, 2011, 07:37:47 am
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 05:29:15 pm »

I presume he is non-American, cos we have really different bacon in Europe, OZ, NZ etc so maybe he wanted this. (I Presume!!!)

Just goes to show I'm not a fan of bacon - it all tastes the same to me.

• Gekokujou
  • Veteran

• April 29, 2011, 01:27:12 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 06:17:11 pm »
The best luck I had in recent memory was when I needed to catch a taxi to the airport in my home country. As I was about to get on, a desperate lady shouted out if anyone was going to the airport as she needed to get there in 20 minutes. I told her I was and we took the taxi together to the airport. She thanked me by footing the taxi fare. It was a win-win situation, she got to the airport (barely on time) and I got a free taxi ride.

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 06:55:36 pm »
Best luck I had was when my wallet with everything in it (50kwonish, credit/debit cards, alien card...) magically appeared in my mailbox :)  runner up was winning the first poker tournamenet i played and probably the only one i will ever play at walker hills1.5ish years ago. 220k buy in and 9 hrs later for a 3mill return :) thinking about it, maybe that's the best luck i've ever had. 

• sunrise
  • Adventurer

• September 09, 2010, 12:52:20 pm
    • Geoje
    more
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 06:56:56 pm »
The best luck I ever had were:
1) Not marrying then (when I was in my 20s) and now (34), because if I had gotten officially committed, I wouldn't have been able to see as much of the world as I have seen and experienced up to now;
2) Went on an all-expense paid trip to Las Vegas!
3) A private school in Saudi Arabia paid my entire salary for almost a year, while I waited for my visa to be processed--I stayed in Canada and did "nothing," but my passport was mysteriously withheld somewhere else...
4) Friendships with the locals in each of the countries I've lived and taught in--these are people who will go out of their way to help me.
5) Possessing a Canadian passport and being able to speak English clearly has enabled me to teach EFL abroad, so that I could re-pay debts and still be able to live comfortably and see the world. Today, I am debt-free.  :P
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 07:01:50 pm by sunrise »
Put your future in good hands - your own.

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 07:08:06 pm »
Getting my fantastic Public School job after being dumped by the after-school program I had signed with 2 weeks before my previous contract was ending.
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

• negacoca
  • Veteran

• October 04, 2010, 12:10:33 pm
    • Hwaseong, South Korea
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 07:40:35 pm »
I was running very late for an eye appointment in the Kangnam (in Seoul).  I planned to go to Suwon Station, then take the subway to Kangnam Station.  I got on a bus that I assumed was an express bus to Suwon station.  However, it soon turned off the main road.  I had no idea where it was going, not even if it was headed north or south!  So, where did it turn up fifty minutes later?  At a subway station that was only four stops away from Kangnam Station!  A much better route than I had planned to take. :)

Maybe that doesn't sound very exciting, but when I found out where I was, wow...  It felt amazing!

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 07:48:22 pm »

Nope.  And it was a LOT of bacon, my freezer is full of it.  I learned my lesson, always buy something when you see it because it's probably not going to be there when you go back.

• jackdaniels
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 18, 2009, 02:00:00 pm
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 08:01:29 pm »
Last night was pretty good.
In our weekly poker game one of the hands where I massed many chips!
To cut to the chase on the river I bet and the other two in the hand called.
They didn't turn their cards over but stated they had a straight and thought it was a 3 way chop.
I said I have a straight too and started raking the chips in my direction.

The board: 4D 6D 2D 2C 3S
Moi: 3D 5D

(Yeah, I know gambling is illegal that's why we only play for chips :-*)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 08:03:13 pm by jackdaniels »