Read 28061 times

• jsem
  • Adventurer

• October 19, 2010, 12:51:39 pm
    • south korea
Re: American and British English - let's work together!!
« Reply #120 on: May 19, 2011, 02:22:39 pm »
Oh my god... who cares.
I second this. I cannot believe this RIDICULOUS conversation is STILL going on. So many people have fallen for another topic that appeared to have the (badly hidden) intention to start yet another  'my country's better than yours so stop bashing mine' argument.
For goodness sake, get on with your jobs, teach you classes and do what works for you. If you are from England and you want to teach English, do it. if you're English and want to teach American, do it. If you're American and want to teach American, do it. ETC.

• adamwatch
  • Super Waygook

• February 03, 2010, 10:47:27 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #121 on: May 19, 2011, 02:30:57 pm »
The future is Chinese English, they already have a few hundred million learning
 British English and their economy holds up the USA. There is also India which some say may beat China they also have British English.

Adam

• maho2643
  • Explorer

• February 22, 2011, 04:55:32 pm
    • Daegu, South Korea
« Reply #122 on: May 19, 2011, 02:46:28 pm »
I consider the English language a world language that gets changed as it is spread from nation to another. I'm really excited to see what Korea will bring to the table in a couple generations from now (if I live that long). The English language itself is a mixture of Celtic, Latin, Anglo-Saxon, Danish, and French anyway.
Every year, the professors and staff of the Oxford Dictionary debate and discuss what has changed in the living language and if those changes warrant a change in the rules of spelling in grammar. By this alone, it shows that what is right in this decade could very well change in the next. Regardless how you decide what is "formal" or not, your children will probably just change it anyway. :)

• Brit_1
  • Adventurer

• September 29, 2010, 12:49:54 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #123 on: May 19, 2011, 02:47:09 pm »
I teach American English, no point in teaching anything else. Sorry, every Korean I know is only interested in the American variant. Accept it, move on.

What an obnoxious and narrow minded viewpoint.

• thebryn
  • Adventurer

• May 15, 2011, 07:25:37 pm
    • Masan, Busan, Korea
« Reply #124 on: May 19, 2011, 02:57:02 pm »
Absolutely lovely post Maho!

I couldn't agree more. I've flown to Korea last week from India and before that passed through many semi-English speaking countries by motorbike on my way from England. I've sincerely enjoyed the variety in the spoken English and find fascinating the nuances within their own languages which lead each country to make its own mistakes in grammar and pronunciation.

Fair play to the Americans, they put out more English language media than anyone as far as I know. Good effort to the British we, in part came up with most of it. I love the Aussi style chop a word in half and add an 'O'. The occasional Indian emphasis of completely random words. I love it all; it makes the language so rich and interesting! My great great grandchildren may not even be able to decipher this message. Brilliant!

(Briefly @ Adam: I think you have a point. I read somewhere that 5 times as many people in China are learning English than there are people in England!)
The secret to happiness: Find something more important than you are and dedicate your life to it

« Reply #125 on: May 19, 2011, 03:06:02 pm »
The future is Chinese English, they already have a few hundred million learning
 British English and their economy holds up the USA. There is also India which some say may beat China they also have British English.

Adam

I thought they learned American English.
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

« Reply #126 on: May 19, 2011, 03:13:04 pm »
 :laugh: I love this kind of post!  It never ceases to amaze me the huge differences in presenting opinions and humour (yes it's correct even though it has a squiggly red line under it  :laugh:) from Americans and Brits. We are so many worlds apart it just cracks me up. Long live dry humour and beautiful sarcasm.

• DragonSheep
  • Waygookin

• October 08, 2010, 03:26:14 pm
    • South Korea - Samcheok
« Reply #127 on: May 19, 2011, 03:30:52 pm »
I must agree with Brit_1 on this one, I mean you can not live in a bubble and close yourself off to the facts that we are here as ENGLISH teacher not american teacher. Personally i feel that we should be teaching both English and American English. Giving the students both perspectives and when they decide to use one then let it be. It's not for us to be close minded and only teach our respective tongue.

• Castielle
  • Featured Contributor

• September 18, 2009, 02:00:00 pm
    • South Korea
    more
« Reply #128 on: May 19, 2011, 04:30:46 pm »
I say "wader" and you say "wa-ter." I go dAncing and you go dancing. My color has no "u" and your colour has a "u." I like fries and you like chips. I eat your chips and you eat my crisps. I can't find the toilet and you can't find the WC. My trunk is stuck and you lost the key to your boot. My Dad just bought a new truck and your Uncle just sold a lorry. My "Ant" had tea with you "Aunt." I can't find the center of your centre. You threw my football and I kicked your football. You are full of gas and I can't figure out what petrol is. I asked your Mom for an eraser and she stared at me. You asked my Mom for a rubber and she smacked you. I can't find your friend and you think he's my mate. My clock can't count past 12 and yours can go to 24.

What I learned is different from what you learnt. Why are we fighting so much over simple things? I know why! Most of us have nothing better to do. (MOD EDIT : Removed one sentence)

@ Damien: Your post basically sums up this thread.

Can we please stay on topic or the thread will be locked. This is not a discussion about England vs America. I don't think the OP had this discussion in mind when starting the thread. " P.S. This is NOT a debate about whose English is better or right." 
when in Rome.. Die eind resultaat moet die moeite werd wees!

• NMonk
  • Veteran

• March 04, 2011, 05:39:39 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #129 on: May 19, 2011, 04:45:06 pm »
I teach both. I'm British so it's just natural to me, but my students exams are in American English and they're grades are more important than where I was born :)
Check out http://alienteachers.com for my blog, FREE lesson plans featured by the British Council and general living in Korea resources.

• Jozigirl
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 03, 2011, 07:37:47 am
« Reply #130 on: May 19, 2011, 05:01:57 pm »
I find it somewhat frustrating that so many comments about America are perceived as criticisms which then flair into arguments.  Equally frustrating is how many posts seem to be aimed at goading Americans into these arguments.  Where do people find the time?   ???

As for British and American English, as long as we're consistent in our own use, they're both acceptable.  Considering how many comments are written on this site daily using poor grammar, bad spelling and just generally lacking proper structure (in BOTH American and British English), personally, I'd be more concerned about the quality of the English used in the classroom than whether it's American or British English....

« Reply #131 on: May 19, 2011, 05:05:22 pm »
This has been very entertaining. Thanks guys! I have nothing to add except:

"England and America are two countries separated by a common language."
George Bernard Shaw or was it Winston Churchill?

also:

"We have really everything in common with America nowadays except, of course, language."
Oscar Wilde

• NMonk
  • Veteran

• Seoul
« Reply #132 on: May 19, 2011, 05:18:02 pm »
Equally frustrating is how many posts seem to be aimed at goading Americans into these arguments.  Where do people find the time?   ???

Winding up Americans is like a national sport for British people :) It's just too easy!!! We all feel the love after a few beers though!!
Check out http://alienteachers.com for my blog, FREE lesson plans featured by the British Council and general living in Korea resources.

• Jozigirl
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 03, 2011, 07:37:47 am
« Reply #133 on: May 19, 2011, 05:19:47 pm »
Equally frustrating is how many posts seem to be aimed at goading Americans into these arguments.  Where do people find the time?   ???

Winding up Americans is like a national sport for British people :) It's just too easy!!! We all feel the love after a few beers though!!

LOL.  You sound like my brother :)  He always says it's the national past time for the British and he's right in the front when it comes to making these comments...

• NMonk
  • Veteran

• Seoul
« Reply #134 on: May 19, 2011, 05:28:52 pm »

LOL.  You sound like my brother :)  He always says it's the national past time for the British and he's right in the front when it comes to making these comments...

Ye me too!! I love it, but I'm playing nice right now, think I've inadvertently wound up plenty of people on Waygook for one day!!

• Morticae
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 31, 2010, 12:45:33 pm
« Reply #135 on: May 19, 2011, 05:34:07 pm »
I teach American English, no point in teaching anything else. Sorry, every Korean I know is only interested in the American variant. Accept it, move on.

What an obnoxious and narrow minded viewpoint.

Don't bother being offended, it's a waste of energy.

I never mentioned my viewpoint, only that of all Koreans that I know. So you're insulting my friends, which is pretty low of yourself. People have a right to choose what they are paying to learn. And if you want my opinion, to be frank, it doesn't matter which variant they choose. If they achieve any decent level of understanding with English, they will have no problems surviving in any English country. The differences are minor and insignificant.

• jenna740
  • Waygookin

• November 05, 2010, 10:01:21 am
    • Seongnam
« Reply #136 on: May 19, 2011, 06:12:05 pm »
zzzzzzzzzz you would think both countries would stop hating each other so much considering how hated they are by other countries in the world right now!!!