Read 373 times

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
Can you use Microsoft power point in Chinese public schools?
« on: February 24, 2021, 05:22:17 pm »
Can you use Microsoft power point in Chinese public schools?  Or is there an equivalent software that will allow you to import ppts for usage?  I know some schools have computers and screens and some don't (IE more rural locations). 

I'd like to bring some of my Korean ppt game templates and reformat for the Chinese books if I decide to go.  (I am not leaving Korea just yet.) 

(But up to 5 million won a month with housing for some schools in China is going to be too hard to pass up.  It may come down a bit once Corona is gone.  We shall see over the next year or so.)

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu County, Taiwan (not part of China)
    more
Re: Can you use Microsoft power point in Chinese public schools?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 05:34:25 pm »
Can you use Microsoft power point in Chinese public schools?  Or is there an equivalent software that will allow you to import ppts for usage?  I know some schools have computers and screens and some don't (IE more rural locations). 

I'd like to bring some of my Korean ppt game templates and reformat for the Chinese books if I decide to go.  (I am not leaving Korea just yet.) 

(But up to 5 million won a month with housing for some schools in China is going to be too hard to pass up.  It may come down a bit once Corona is gone.  We shall see over the next year or so.)

It worked for me at my uni, high school, adult education and middle school, but I guess it depends on the school. I never had issues except when I tried to show something directly from the internet because of the heavy censorship.  If you want to use the huge amount of resources on YouTube, of course it is forbidden so I used my VPN and then downloaded them at home and showed it to my IELTS students. They were blown away by the material available on YouTube for IELTS and all arrived after the first class with USB's and copied all my videos.

I am not trying to be a wet blanket but think VERY carefully before you head to China. I taught there for 2 and a half years and loved it BUT towards the end (left in 2019) things were getting very dodgy for foreigners from the CCP's side and I was getting more and more worried about that.

I am not sure of your nationality but if you are American, I would give it a miss for sure. The anti-American sentiment in 2019 was running high and now I can just imagine what it is like. The CCP is completely paranoid about foreigners, particularly Americans. XI the Pooh is an absolute fruitcake and you never know what will happen next. It just takes one incident with your home country and you could be in serious trouble.

The Chinese people and education boards are desperate for English teachers but the CCP doesn't give a flying fig about English and so it can be VERY difficult to get the old Z-Visa.

Of course the lack of internet freedom is a concern too. You can use a VPN but technically that is illegal and when I was there they basically turned a blind eye to it, but my Chinese friends tell me now they are more and more paranoid and you risk arrest if they decide for some reason to raid your apartment.

And raid your apartment they do. Especially if the CCP is going to have a big conference in Beijing. Even if you are hundreds of miles away, they clamp down like crazy. We were restricted to our city, full on body searches when getting on the subway, buses stopped and all foreigners made to leave the bus while they checked on your passport. Yes, always have your passport with you even when you go to the beach or on a hike or else you may not be allowed to do the hike or go for a swim.

The thing I loved was my students, they were just wonderful and I am still in contact with many of my uni students. If you teach well the parents will love you and your students will love you even more. My students literally cried when I left because they like me and also because there was no replacement for me.

So, to sum up, I am not saying don't go, I am saying think very carefully before you give up the freedom of Korea for the extra money. 

If you need a change from Korea, try Taiwan, that is the proper Chinese experience. The money is not the same as mainland China but the experience cannot be bought for money.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 05:54:29 pm by confusedsafferinkorea »
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu County, Taiwan (not part of China)
    more
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 06:14:20 pm »
Oh, and I forgot to add, you WILL have a CCP official's kid in your class so you have to watch every word you say. I quite innocently said Taiwan was a developed economy and country in my International Economics class and I had to do a lot of explaining to get myself out of some serious trouble.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2021, 08:42:14 pm »
Oh, and I forgot to add, you WILL have a CCP official's kid in your class so you have to watch every word you say. I quite innocently said Taiwan was a developed economy and country in my International Economics class and I had to do a lot of explaining to get myself out of some serious trouble.

For sure.  That goes without saying.  I would have the common sense to self censor.  I would wait at least another year before seeing.  The money is too good.  I think everyone will think we are American no matter which country.  But 4 to 5 million won a month, unless Korea steps up it's game, is too hard to not consider.  I would probably do for a short time and cash out then get out.