Read 790 times

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
When did Ikseon-dong in Jongno become a cool area?
« on: September 03, 2021, 10:39:36 am »
I tend to hit up an area in Seoul and explore until I've had enough and move on, so I haven't been to the Jongno area in probably a few years.  Insa-dong long ago lost my interest but in August I roamed past Tapgol park into this Ikseon-dong neighbourhood and it was bustling and pretty cool.  Lots of narrow pedestrian only walkways with plenty of Hanok houses and nice cafes and restaurants and even a classic Korean video arcade tucked away.  It was packed, but not with the sightseers and tourists of Insa-dong next door, but people out dining and drinking.  There were some creepy fifty year olds lurking about, but otherwise a pretty trendy young crowd.  Has this area been happening for a while now, and I just was busy exploring Lotte World Mall, or is this a recently gentrified area?  I'll be headed back.  Good vibe and somewhere in Seoul that feels new to this guy who first arrived as a tailor's apprentice in the early 80's. 

Re: When did Ikseon-dong in Jongno become a cool area?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2021, 06:22:10 pm »
I tend to hit up an area in Seoul and explore until I've had enough and move on, so I haven't been to the Jongno area in probably a few years.  Insa-dong long ago lost my interest but in August I roamed past Tapgol park into this Ikseon-dong neighbourhood and it was bustling and pretty cool.  Lots of narrow pedestrian only walkways with plenty of Hanok houses and nice cafes and restaurants and even a classic Korean video arcade tucked away.  It was packed, but not with the sightseers and tourists of Insa-dong next door, but people out dining and drinking.  There were some creepy fifty year olds lurking about, but otherwise a pretty trendy young crowd.  Has this area been happening for a while now, and I just was busy exploring Lotte World Mall, or is this a recently gentrified area?  I'll be headed back.  Good vibe and somewhere in Seoul that feels new to this guy who first arrived as a tailor's apprentice in the early 80's. 
Not sure if subtle jab related to all the age-related pseudosleuthing or actual observation....

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2021, 07:12:20 am »
There were some creepy fifty year olds lurking about, but otherwise a pretty trendy young crowd.

FYI we donít refer to elders in this manner, here in Korea.

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2021, 08:47:33 am »
I'll refer to creepy, wrinkly, stinky old achoo-shis in any way I desire.

You hear me?

You hear me?!

Creepy.

Creeeeeepyyyyyy!

:evil:
« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 08:49:07 am by WhenInRome... »

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• Anyang
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2021, 10:04:37 am »
Not sure if subtle jab related to all the age-related pseudosleuthing or actual observation....

I thought it was an unsubtle reference to all the blanket bashing for anyone middle aged.  But, yes, it was facetious. 

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• Anyang
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2021, 10:06:17 am »
FYI we donít refer to elders in this manner, here in Korea.

In Ikseon-dong I was told itís cool, though.

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2021, 11:47:46 am »
even a classic Korean video arcade tucked away.

Did it have Fart Car?