Read 1406 times

Honest Opinions on Moving to Korea now
« on: January 25, 2021, 06:21:19 am »
I have a contract that is starting soon, and in fact have already packed and applied for my visa. But, the closer I get, the more I'm having second thoughts. I'm questioning this big decision of moving abroad in a pandemic. My original plan was just to stay for a year and maybe two at the very max. But I'm wondering if I'll even be able to have a full experience, as this virus does not seem like it will be contained until maybe the end of 2021. But I'm also wondering if I back out now, will the fact I have already applied for a visa that I didn't use hurt my chance of getting hired in the future? So I'm just looking for honest opinions. Would you move now, and do you think it would still be a good experience?

Re: Honest Opinions on Moving to Korea now
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 10:22:12 am »
What exactly do you mean by "full experience?" If you're talking about the nightlife. Not at all. It's basically nonexistent as it used to be many moons ago. I mean, I'm sure it's not as restricted as it is in the West, but the rest, as in work and stuff, is pretty much running the same. The difference is that we're not having hweshiks and outings like we used to. Everything is in pretty controlled settings. 

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 12:20:02 pm »
If you enjoy hiking it is great - even these days with the pandemic.  It is easy to get to hiking trails and quite a few other people are out on the trails so you are not alone.   

Some temples are closed to tourists etc, not sure about museums (I think you can make reservations as they limit the number of people entering at each time) but life is 'sort-of' normal (at the moment limits on number of people gathering).  Restaurants and cafes are mostly all open.

The hardest thing is not being able to travel overseas easily to visit family etc without 2 week quarantines in each country! 

The choice is yours but it isn't too bad here!  Yes, it is harder and the anxiety (while minimal it is still real) as you don't know what is being said around you and are uncertain about what is going to happen next. 

All the best with whatever choice you make.

• 303lmc
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 05:23:12 pm
    • Gwangju
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 12:51:22 pm »
If you enjoy hiking it is great - even these days with the pandemic.  It is easy to get to hiking trails and quite a few other people are out on the trails so you are not alone.   

The choice is yours but it isn't too bad here!  Yes, it is harder and the anxiety (while minimal it is still real) as you don't know what is being said around you and are uncertain about what is going to happen next. 

These 2, I still went hiking and visited cafes. some things are open, others are not. you just have to check or go and see. but honestly, great time for pictures without people in the way.
and my anxiety came from not knowing what was being said, especially when it pertains to me, and not knowing what's coming, to be prepared. I also don't like asking for help and you absolutely HAVE to ask for help, and often. seemingly simple things can get complicated quick.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2021, 12:54:21 pm »
Given the unptedictability of spikes in infection rates, healthcare locally and gov't restrictions possible...

I'd spend 2021 holed up with family if i could, with cans of beans and Netflix and ride the pre-vax coronavirus out.

• fka
  • Expert Waygook

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2021, 12:56:28 pm »
not sure about museums (I think you can make reservations as they limit the number of people entering at each time)

This is correct. If you book in advance and get the slot you want, it's actually great - you don't exactly have the place to yourself, but it's equivalent to going on the quietest day of the year.

In response to the OP, I would say that moving to any other country is bound to be weird right now, with its own set of challenges. Korea is probably one of the better places to come in regard to COVID-related abnormalities. But yeah, prepare to spend more time alone than you otherwise would. Opportunities for developing strong social relationships won't be completely absent, but they'll be reduced.

But I'm also wondering if I back out now, will the fact I have already applied for a visa that I didn't use hurt my chance of getting hired in the future?

I don't know the exact answer to this, but I would think that each visa application is considered on its own terms, unless you have something like a deportation on your record.

• SPQR
  • Expert Waygook

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Canada
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2021, 02:44:31 pm »
My advice would be not to go anywhere until this pandemic is finished.

The Korean government was extremely late and irresponsible in acquiring
vaccine, therefore the end of SARS-CoV-2 in Korea is unknown.

This situation is extremely unpredictable. You will also not have the freedom
to explore and enjoy everything Korea has to offer at the current time.

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2021, 01:47:56 pm »
It sounds like you are just getting out of home for a bit of an adventure. If this is true, why go to Korea? Go to SE Asia, everything is better in terms of adventures and there are plenty of good paying jobs at international schools. I won't get into the weather and food as it is upsetting to the apologist crowd.

• 303lmc
  • Super Waygook

• Gwangju
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2021, 07:47:46 am »
I think having second thoughts about such a big move is normal. it will be a bit weird during a pandemic. but you've gotten this far, why go back? keep moving forward. remember why you wanted to move and all the effort it took to get this far.
just my 2 cents.

• SPQR
  • Expert Waygook

• Canada
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2021, 01:01:13 pm »
What happened to Li's comment?

• 303lmc
  • Super Waygook

• Gwangju
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2021, 02:46:36 pm »
What happened to Li's comment?
i can see it but it has a read tag as "muted"

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2021, 05:20:46 pm »
Aw man Korea without hoesiks would be amazing.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2021, 09:53:52 pm »
Just watched Enemy at the Gates. Its good.

Not nearly as good as my 16 year old self thought, but good.
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• SPQR
  • Expert Waygook

• Canada
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2021, 08:00:17 am »
There is no way I would EVER eat a roast pangolin.