Read 641 times

• dippedinblush
  • Super Waygook

• November 21, 2013, 11:15:05 am
    • Yangpyeong, South Korea
Hair Care in Korea~ Which products are good?
« on: February 14, 2021, 07:39:40 pm »
So I've been suffering with really dried out hair here (especially during the winter).  I've tried many shampoo and conditioners and they all seem to dry out my hair and scalp. 

I do have really sensitive skin and have found the perfect formula of products for my skin, face and body, but I can't find a good shampoo or conditioner.

Can anyone recommend anything?
Preferably something I can buy in Korea.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 07:42:11 pm by dippedinblush »

Re: Hair Care in Korea~ Which products are good?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 09:06:36 pm »
So I've been suffering with really dried out hair here (especially during the winter).  I've tried many shampoo and conditioners and they all seem to dry out my hair and scalp. 

I do have really sensitive skin and have found the perfect formula of products for my skin, face and body, but I can't find a good shampoo or conditioner.

Can anyone recommend anything?
Preferably something I can buy in Korea.

Might have to speak to a dermatologist.

When it comes to shampoo and conditioner, I haven't found one to be much better than the next (at least when it comes to reputable brands).
What does make a difference, in my opinion, is what you eat. I take Omega fish oil collagen for tendon recovery/injury prevention from sprinting and it
seems to do wonders for the hair too. Balanced and hydration diet is the key in my opinion.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 09:47:30 pm »
Shed’n Boulders

• 303lmc
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 05:23:12 pm
    • Gwangju
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 08:16:40 am »
I don't and wouldn't use the hair care products here. it's not for my hair type. I order my shampoo/cond off iHerb.

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2021, 08:40:22 am »
I know that it's probably said a lot, but do you have a water filter and softener attached to your valves and shower head? Because the water was definitely the reason why my own hair and scalp were so dry and irritated, and no products really seemed to help at all until I took care of that. I know a lot of people recommend just a shower filter, but for me that really wasn't enough.

Aside from that, I've heard from a lot of ladies that most of the products here contain silicone and other unnecessary ingredients that are supposed to make hair smooth but are also not good for hair and which can further irritate people with more sensitive scalps, so they go for more natural products. Not sure of the brands, but I know they have local options here. There's also Lush, they have good stuff, but downside is their products are expensive in Korea. The "ALL THINGS BEAUTY - Expat Women in Korea" FB group could probably provide you with more recommendations in that regard.

Me personally, I tend to use shampoos and conditioners from Nature Republic, but I also use a clarifying shampoo once a week, and I apply argan or camellia oil to a wooden comb and brush it into my wet hair after every wash.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 09:16:45 am by Chinguetti »

• starryella
  • Veteran

• November 07, 2019, 04:29:39 pm
    • Busan, South Korea
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2021, 10:48:03 am »
I buy my shampoo from iHerb. They have many organic and gentle options. I have not found a shampoo here that works for me. My hair breaks/damages easily and my scalp is prone to dryness.

I have momentarily(?) done away with conditioner and now use Nature Republic argan oil hair mask in place of it with every wash. It is great stuff, and makes the hair so silky and soft. Just be sure to wash it out well after conditioning.

I use Etude House Almond hair primer before blowdrying. And some kind of argan oil cream spray after drying which is again from Nature Republic.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 11:08:23 am by starryella »

• Yana201
  • Waygookin

• November 29, 2018, 09:52:57 am
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2021, 07:57:11 pm »
I buy my shampoo from iHerb. They have many organic and gentle options. I have not found a shampoo here that works for me. My hair breaks/damages easily and my scalp is prone to dryness.

I have momentarily(?) done away with conditioner and now use Nature Republic argan oil hair mask in place of it with every wash. It is great stuff, and makes the hair so silky and soft. Just be sure to wash it out well after conditioning.

I use Etude House Almond hair primer before blowdrying. And some kind of argan oil cream spray after drying which is again from Nature Republic.

Can I ask which shampoos do you purchase on iherb to help with dry scalp?

• starryella
  • Veteran

• November 07, 2019, 04:29:39 pm
    • Busan, South Korea
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2021, 08:30:15 am »
Can I ask which shampoos do you purchase on iherb to help with dry scalp?

I usually just purchase organic shampoos rather than specifically shampoo for dandruff/dry scalp, as I find organic brands to be a lot gentler on the hair. I like the Love Beauty Planet brand because it smells amazing and is all natural. (I will say that product buildup can happen  due to the lack of abrasiveness of organic shampoos in general and I probably should be using a clarifying shampoo a couple times a month.) My fiance just purchased some shampoo for dandruff/dry scalp from Jason brand because we are both experiencing this these days. I haven't tried it yet but iHerb does have a bunch of products to help with that condition.

I might try the water softener someone else recommended in the future, since my showerhead filter doesn't seem to be helping with general dryness.

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2021, 10:15:45 am »
I have the exact same problem. My scalp gets so crusty. I have tried the cica one, I really did forget what the name is. It's supposed to be like 99 percent organic, but since I dye my hair, it was a problem. It started fading fast because I found myself washing my hair more often (it never felt fully clean). Now, I just do what other people have suggested. I use Kerasys for damaged hair and I do oil hair masks instead of using conditioner. Silicone makes my scalp itch.  If you're sensitive to perfumes in products, I don't recommend Kerasys either. The scents are super strong.