Read 5065 times

Re: EPIK housing allowance question (want to move in with my partner)
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2020, 12:49:37 pm »
They should just give the 400,000 rent amount by default. But, then I guess newbies would find it overwhelming finding a place on their own.

Not to mention the deposit which most noobies are not prepared (able) to pay their first year. The MOE/POEs don't pay deposits. Landlords are usually happy to deal with the "guaranteed" money from a government office so they forgo the usual large 보증금.

Also @OP as everyone else has pointed out your school is being nosy and intrusive, they have no say over whether you can take the stipend or not, as long as your move coincides with a contract renewal.

You only need to prove your residence for your visa (assuming E2) at immigration. Not to your school, or even the MOE/POE. Though it is a good idea to keep them happy if you can. If that means stroking the principal's ego by letting them sign a few pointless docs, fine. SNIP

When you do go to immi you bring the lease (original + photocopy) PLUS two pieces of evidence that you actually live there.

You don't need to be on the lease but you do need to bring an original and copy of that with you regardless. For the proof you should bring a (signed, stamped and dated) letter from the landlord stating that you live at the address for the period on the lease or the 거주 확인서, again signed, stamped and dated by the landlord. A bill to that address with your name on it would work as the second proof.

All immi officers are different so they may not require both proofs but its's best to have them to avoid problems.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 01:13:25 pm by DMZabductee »

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2020, 02:09:07 pm »
Not to mention the deposit which most noobies are not prepared (able) to pay their first year. The MOE/POEs don't pay deposits. Landlords are usually happy to deal with the "guaranteed" money from a government office so they forgo the usual large 보증금.

Only when the ed office gets the apartment or room in their name usually.  They usually won't pay any deposit.  A first year or even second year teacher will have problems coming up with these.  A foreign teacher will usually have to pay deposit if they get it in their own name unless it is an older dumpier place.  But, depending on the local economic conditions you can always negotiate if you have a fluent translator who doesn't mind being the go between.  (Though be wary if a place is much cheaper than than the local average.  Usually means a problem with the building.)

A 10 or 20 million won deposit can get you a decent renovated apartment (with ok rent price 4 to 6 hundred a month) in a semi older building out in the provinces.  Though I did have this one older friend out in the country who was in a rural area in a decent high rise apartment paying only 500 K as month with no deposit.  (Though my current place with deposit in a regional city is much bigger than his was.)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 02:10:40 pm by hangook77 »

• pkjh
  • The Legend

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
    • Asia
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2020, 02:50:26 pm »
Only when the ed office gets the apartment or room in their name usually.  They usually won't pay any deposit.  A first year or even second year teacher will have problems coming up with these.  A foreign teacher will usually have to pay deposit if they get it in their own name unless it is an older dumpier place.  But, depending on the local economic conditions you can always negotiate if you have a fluent translator who doesn't mind being the go between.  (Though be wary if a place is much cheaper than than the local average.  Usually means a problem with the building.)

A 10 or 20 million won deposit can get you a decent renovated apartment (with ok rent price 4 to 6 hundred a month) in a semi older building out in the provinces.  Though I did have this one older friend out in the country who was in a rural area in a decent high rise apartment paying only 500 K as month with no deposit.  (Though my current place with deposit in a regional city is much bigger than his was.)
Also, if the renter is a teacher (Korean teacher) often the landlord will often make it a real cheap deposit, since teachers are basically guaranteed a paying job until the end of their careers/contract. As a foreigner, you'd definitely need a Korean teacher/friend to accompany you to negotiate a smaller deposit. I had the landlord from my old place go with me to a new place, and got the deposit reduced from 5 mil to 1, once she found out I had a job at a school.

• snm
  • Waygookin

• March 07, 2019, 01:47:58 pm
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2020, 08:52:22 am »
OP here!
So finding the room or paying the deposit will not be a problem as I am moving in with my partner.

Does your school have their own place they have rented for years and furniture they have bought themselves?  That may be why?  But the contract for EPIK is 400,000 won and for SMOE is 500,000 won a month no matter what you pay.

As for this, I was actually the first foreign teacher my school had in 4 years... (another reason they are so controlling of me I guess lol) so my apartment had only the most basic things in it and the furniture is also rented from the building owner. The end of the lease also coincides with my renewal (Feb 28th) so I don't think this is the reason.

As for visa/immigration I don't foresee that being a problem but I will make sure to bring all the documents everyone mentioned!

I am currently waiting for my new contract to be returned to me (Jan 15th) to let them know I would like to move in with my partner. (I already said I was moving just not where!)

I am interested in all advice but if anyone has been in this exact situation (moving into a partner's house without your name on the house's lease) I would especially like to know what happened with your school!!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 10:27:49 am by snm »

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2020, 12:45:44 pm »
the lease thing surely can't be the issue. there's loads of people (presumably a lot of E2s) in itaewon/HBC that share houses, and i doubt their names are all on the lease

« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2020, 02:26:16 pm »
I know someone who is getting a stipend in SMOE for the coming school year, but they are married. Once you're married, like people have mentioned, you show an address and that's the end of the story. So I don't think it's the school district that is the issue, it's your particular situation.

Have you talked to your coordinator about this? What I think might be an issue, if you're in like in Mapo, and your school is in Jamsil. They are being unreasonable for a reason, and if their housing contract is ending soon, it might be something to do with you personally. No offense. I'm not trying to play the devil's advocate but if the apartment doesn't belong to someone in the school, the housing contract is coming to an end anyway, and we all know plenty of people that switched apartments (even midway through contracts I knew one in Gyeonggi and another in Gangwan) it might be something personal.  I don't know how your relationship is with your school, or how your work ethic is, but maybe that might have something to do with it? I wouldn't push it too much if you're trying to stay in Korea because the worst case scenario, is you piss them off so much that they won't give you the new contract (yes this happens even if you filed for renewal already) or the best, you don't get the stipend, and still get the apartment. Pick your battle wisely.

« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2020, 12:21:42 pm »
Moving with EPIK, your name absolutely has to be on the contract. If your S.O. is also an EPIK teacher, this is possible as I knew a couple who did it, but you will need to negotiate with your schools and likely sign a lease including both names. This will be easier if you are both moving to a new space together and starting on a fresh lease. Same goes for a Korean S.O. - make sure you get your name on a lease and visit immigration to report a change of address within 2-3 weeks. I'm sure if you give your MOE/POE a call they can guide you.
Basically they don't want any shady business. I've seen people trying to guesthouse hop/live out of an AirBnB to cut costs here and as a working person with a visa, that shit isn't gonna fly. Just make sure you communicate with your school and get everything reported to immigration promptly.

« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2020, 12:24:03 pm »
Moving with EPIK, your name absolutely has to be on the contract. If your S.O. is also an EPIK teacher, this is possible as I knew a couple who did it, but you will need to negotiate with your schools and likely sign a lease including both names. This will be easier if you are both moving to a new space together and starting on a fresh lease. Same goes for a Korean S.O. - make sure you get your name on a lease and visit immigration to report a change of address within 2-3 weeks. I'm sure if you give your MOE/POE a call they can guide you.
Basically they don't want any shady business. I've seen people trying to guesthouse hop/live out of an AirBnB to cut costs here and as a working person with a visa, that shit isn't gonna fly. Just make sure you communicate with your school and get everything reported to immigration promptly.

Not always the case.....I am married to a Korean and my name IS NOT on the lease and they accepted it...

« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2020, 01:10:56 pm »
Not always the case.....I am married to a Korean and my name IS NOT on the lease and they accepted it...
oh I see... I guess I'm mistaken. I moved into a new home with EPIK a few months back but I live alone. This is just something they drilled over and over "if you have a roommate, you MUST have your name there" so maybe just double check with your MOE/POE as I guess it's different with a Korean S.O.^^;

• snm
  • Waygookin

« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2021, 02:35:16 pm »
I know someone who is getting a stipend in SMOE for the coming school year, but they are married. Once you're married, like people have mentioned, you show an address and that's the end of the story. So I don't think it's the school district that is the issue, it's your particular situation.

Have you talked to your coordinator about this? What I think might be an issue, if you're in like in Mapo, and your school is in Jamsil. They are being unreasonable for a reason, and if their housing contract is ending soon, it might be something to do with you personally. No offense. I'm not trying to play the devil's advocate but if the apartment doesn't belong to someone in the school, the housing contract is coming to an end anyway, and we all know plenty of people that switched apartments (even midway through contracts I knew one in Gyeonggi and another in Gangwan) it might be something personal.  I don't know how your relationship is with your school, or how your work ethic is, but maybe that might have something to do with it? I wouldn't push it too much if you're trying to stay in Korea because the worst case scenario, is you piss them off so much that they won't give you the new contract (yes this happens even if you filed for renewal already) or the best, you don't get the stipend, and still get the apartment. Pick your battle wisely.

Hi,

I understand you are not trying to offend by saying they must have a reason but I really can't see any reason.  As for my work ethic, I have never called out sick or failed to prepare lesson plans, I was also complimented by the head teacher on handling corona situation well by quickly adapting, my English camps received good feedback from students and my co-teacher alike...  I really cannot think of any reason they are so controlling except just power tripping ??

In any case I will reach out to the coordinator soon, thanks

• snm
  • Waygookin

« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2021, 02:44:24 pm »

Hello,

I am def moving in order to cut costs and my new living situation is less than the 500,000w housing stipend so I will be saving but that shouldn't be illegal, right?

However, I will not be hopping around airbnbs, or in an unsafe environment. I am planning on moving into a stable living situation with a long-term partner. 

In any case, I'm just waiting a bit and trying to finish English camp well before bringing this up again with my school. I still have 2 months to figure things out ...

• snm
  • Waygookin

« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2021, 02:05:00 pm »
OP here!

Update:

I have found this on SMOE's foreign teacher page (http://etis.sen.go.kr/172834/subMenu.do):

"You also have the option to receive housing allowance (500,000 KRW) when your school’s current housing lease expires. You must provide a housing contract under your name. If you are unable to get your name on the housing contract, but are living with a spouse or relative, you must provide a family relation (가족관계증면서) or marriage certificate (혼인증명서)."

Okay let's break this down
1. These stipulations are nowhere in my contract or and addendum that I recall (do correct me you are with the SMOE and you remember agreeing to this)
2. I was not made aware of these "rules" at the time of renewal despite indicating I would be requesting the stipend
3. The wording here does not say what I should do in the case I live with my SO and my name is not on the lease, it only give guidelines about living with a " spouse or relative" and not having your name on the lease
4. At the same time it does not expressly forbid living with an SO without your name on the lease

Thoughts guys?????

• snm
  • Waygookin

« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2021, 12:22:42 pm »
The form you need is 거주/숙소제공 확인서 (Confirmation of Residence/Accommodation). It is on Hi Korea. I moved in with my SO and her details are on it as the landlord/provider.

It's really nothing to do with the school and all to do with immigration. If it states in your contract they offer a stipend and you request it, then they must provide it. Your new address will be on your ARC which you have to update within 14 days. That is the only proof needed by the school.

OP here!

In the end this user had the correct answer!
I contacted SMOE and was told I need:

1. Confirmation of Residence/Accommodation (숙소제공 확인서)
2. Housing contract (even if it doesn't have your name)
3. Show proof of change of address AKA ID card with new address on the back (you can change it at your local -gu office)

I was going crazy trying to find this information. I guess they don't put solid information about this on their FAQ or in the handbook because they don't want it to become a common thing?? Anyway I hope the paperwork goes smoothly and I can get my housing allowance!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 09:51:13 am by snm »