Read 6694 times

• SPQR
  • Expert Waygook

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Canada
Wow, my students have gotten really FAT!
« on: January 21, 2021, 01:54:51 pm »
I've noticed since the pandemic began my students have become
very noticeably corpulent.  I guess it was inevitable. They don't
even walk to school these days.  But even during a normal school
schedule, they don't get much exercise. But I think this really
happened with the advent of cell phones.  For adults it is when
they buy a car.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
Re: Wow, my students have gotten really FAT!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 02:03:24 pm »
Their parents are afraid of the coronavirus so keep them inside where they eat sugary snacks and play video games / cell phone games / watch TV all day. Ironically, this (the deprivation of sunlight and exercise from playing outside) weakens their immune system, making them more susceptible.

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 04:13:33 pm »
I too have noticed an alarming increase in kids getting chubby and fat. On the flip side, I regularly see the kids on the track team training at the local stadium and DAMN! These kids have the endurance of freakin' terminators. Then again, it's no
surprise since the lazy ass coach typically has them spending 80-90% of their time jogging laps since he's obviously too lazy to do drills, plyo or anything that requires him to do more than sit on his phone for 40min.

I digress...

Has anyone noticed the utterly pathetic hand eye coordination of most of the students? Toss a kid a plush ball and 80% will fail to catch it. It's so bad that they're still playing t-ball at 12-13yrs of age as they lack the coordination to hit a ball with a bat.
Many still miss the damn ball, even when it's not being thrown,

« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 05:56:43 pm by Aristocrat »

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Cairo, Egypt (formerly Seoul)
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 07:55:56 pm »
You have heard of the “freshman 15”?

This is the “Covid 19”!

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2021, 08:59:09 am »
You have heard of the “freshman 15”?

This is the “Covid 19”!
Mods? FFS Kyndo, why aren't you doing your job?

:rolleyes: :laugh:

• Adel
  • Expert Waygook

• January 30, 2015, 12:50:26 am
    • The Abyss
    more
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2021, 09:25:53 am »
I've noticed the same thing among some of my work colleagues  since we effectively went into lock down last March and have been working remotely via Zoom. The first three months were the worst when all the gym were forced to close and exercise was only permitted outdoors in very small groups that maintained adequate social distancing. It was very effective limiting the spread of Covid-19 though. It also just about eliminated the influenza flew season.

• SPQR
  • Expert Waygook

• Canada
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2021, 11:46:32 am »
I've noticed the same thing among some of my work colleagues  since we effectively went into lock down last March and have been working remotely via Zoom. The first three months were the worst when all the gym were forced to close and exercise was only permitted outdoors in very small groups that maintained adequate social distancing. It was very effective limiting the spread of Covid-19 though. It also just about eliminated the influenza flew season.

Yes, I don't think anybody anticipated the decline in flu cases. I wonder how long
it will last for.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Cairo, Egypt (formerly Seoul)
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2021, 05:51:15 pm »
Yes, I don't think anybody anticipated the decline in flu cases. I wonder how long
it will last for.

Why would you think that?

Everybody expected declines in all communicable diseases.

• Adel
  • Expert Waygook

• January 30, 2015, 12:50:26 am
    • The Abyss
    more
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2021, 01:34:08 am »
Why would you think that?

Everybody expected declines in all communicable diseases.

When this started for us back in March last year I had very few expectations at all just a great deal of unknowns. However we soon worked out that the disease would only be suppressed when 90% of the population adhered to strict social distancing.  Once the disease is out and spreading in the community it's very hard to suppress and takes much longer to virtually eliminate. In our state it has been eliminated from spreading in the community. There is still an ever present threat that it can escape one of the medivac quarantine hotels and we'll have to go back into full lockdown. This happens occasionally but with very small numbers, social distancing compliance, high testing rates and effective contact tracing we've been able to get it back under control to the point of eliminating community spread. Nobody has died from Covid-19 in our state since April last year.  But getting to your point about expectations, without strict adherence from 90% of the population I wouldn't have many expectations for success. In a country like South Korea I'd expect that would be a challenge. The study below indicates compliance rates of as high as 70% have little effect in controlling the spread.

A compliance of below 70% is unlikely to succeed for any duration of SD, while a compliance at the 90% level is found to control the disease within 13–14 weeks, when coupled with effective CI, HQ and international travel restrictions.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-020-19393-6#Sec2
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 04:37:26 am by Adel »

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2021, 09:11:18 am »
Koreans have gotten heavier over the past ten years in general.  Though still less than the west. 

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2021, 08:23:19 pm »
With school attendance halted due to the COVID-19 pandemic, obesity-related indexes such as the body mass index (BMI) for children and teenagers have worsened, a recent study found.

http://koreabizwire.com/missing-school-worsens-obesity-for-children-and-teenagers/187116

The research team concluded that their outdoor activities declined sharply since school attendance was halted but their dietary habits remained unchanged, resulting in the worsening of their obesity.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2021, 08:40:10 pm »
When I came in 2002, boys carried balls to class (soccer, basketball, ping pong, small rubber, tennis, sticky), and now they NEVER do, most drop their smartphone into the same basket I used to use to collect balls.

The girls are doubly sad because they used to huddle in groups of 3,4,5 awaiting class. Nowadays they sit alone. They look so much less excited about things.

The world is getting better? Technology = progress/improvement?

In some ways, but CERTAINLY not in other ways.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu County, Taiwan (not part of China)
    more
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2021, 07:38:52 am »
When I came in 2002, boys carried balls to class (soccer, basketball, ping pong, small rubber, tennis, sticky), and now they NEVER do, most drop their smartphone into the same basket I used to use to collect balls.

The girls are doubly sad because they used to huddle in groups of 3,4,5 awaiting class. Nowadays they sit alone. They look so much less excited about things.

When I came to Korea, I noticed kids here (elementary) had no idea how to play. I taught them some games we played as kids in SA and they went nuts. They used to come an fetch me every afternoon after school, those who didn't scurry off to hagwons, and demanded I played with them. It was so sad to see that kids couldn't be kids in Korea.

Our school had two foreign teachers at that time and my colleague's girlfriend taught at a girl's middle school and they had a bring and share day and to set the example, she took one of her doll collection and she said the girls lost their minds and played with the doll all day. I would love to see schools encourage kids to play, I mean physical play, then perhaps the obesity rate would fall.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2021, 07:50:47 am »

The industrial revolution and its consequences have been a disaster for the human race

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2021, 10:01:08 am »
^ Agreed.
Although I'd qualify that by saying that it's been good for the average individual but a disaster to the human species (and every other species, really).  :sad:

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2021, 10:13:26 am »
The industrial revolution and its consequences have been a disaster for the human race
The man has a point. Wrong tactics, but has a point.

You really want something messed up, go outside and try visualizing what you see through "EM vision" or "Chemical emission vision." It's like a self-induced mild bad acid trip.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 10:17:53 am by Mr.DeMartino »

• SPQR
  • Expert Waygook

• Canada
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2021, 01:45:07 pm »

Hmmm, except for things like vaccine technology, painless dentistry and tens of thousands
of other things
that make life somewhat less brutish and short.

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2021, 02:14:45 pm »
idk... would i want to live at any time in the past? nope, hard pass. would i want to live in the future? probably not. seems like a real big coin flip. i mean i'd love to see what things are like, but i dont know if i'd be able to confidently say "yeah put me 100 years in the future, shit is probably lit" my guess is that shit will probably not be "lit" 100 years from now (well... lit on fire maybe)
more gg more skill

• pkjh
  • The Legend

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
    • Asia
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2021, 02:19:29 pm »
Hmmm, except for things like vaccine technology, painless dentistry and tens of thousands
of other things
Infant mortality rates have dropped from the 1/4 days maybe just 100 years ago. And because of vaccines people are living, on average, 20-30 years longer. We'll probably start seeing that average live span in rich countries inch up to 100 in the next few generations.

idk... would i want to live at any time in the past? nope, hard pass. would i want to live in the future? probably not. seems like a real big coin flip. i mean i'd love to see what things are like, but i dont know if i'd be able to confidently say "yeah put me 100 years in the future, shit is probably lit" my guess is that shit will probably not be "lit" 100 years from now (well... lit on fire maybe)
Heck, even though I've lived like half my life without the internet, would I want to go back to the 80s? Probably not... lol

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2021, 02:42:07 pm »
of other things
you can keep all that worthless shit i'm gonna return to monke