Read 1791 times

• Ormiga
  • Newgookin

• January 17, 2021, 08:39:22 pm
    • Indonesia
What kind of car do you drive?
« on: January 17, 2021, 08:53:54 pm »
I am the mother of 2 children, they are both in elementary school. Most of the time, I would take them to school by motorcycle because the school is very close to home. I drove a Vespa Sprint. Although it was a bit difficult to carry two children, it was still possible. I am also considering buying a car recently.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 07:05:41 am by Kyndo »

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
Re: What kind of car do you drive?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 07:04:52 am »
I had a friend who was seriously into vespas. So much so that she named her dog Vespa lol.

I had a Daerim daystar for a while (motorcycle) but unfortunate things happened to it, so I went back to riding the bus with the rest of the riffraff.
Then the POE decided to give me a bunch of widely separated schools that happened to not be on public bus routes, so I had to buy a car. Got a nice 2007 Hyundai Avante for 4 million, and have stuck with it for the last 5 years or so.
  Incidentally, half a year after I bought the car, they changed the bus routes so that the school was on it, which was irritating. Very irritating.
But having a vehicle has really opened up the country for us, so no real regrets.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 12:51:26 pm by Kyndo »

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 09:55:27 am »
I have a Kia Carnival. Bought it new in 2015. Good car, but a bit pricey (also had a 2002 model previously) However, the auto back door rollers wear out too quickly. Both sides have already been replaced, one side twice, and the battery shit itself after a couple of years. Other than that, no real problems. My wife loves it because she can pack all her temple friends in and go sightseeing. I like it because, it drives smoothly, has lots of space, and its got a bit of grunt I reckon it'll keep running ok for another 6-7 years before major repairs are needed, then we'll probably look at a smaller, near new SUV. 

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2021, 10:44:28 am »
My first car was a Daewoo Prince.  It was an old clunker (late 90's).  Maybe just over a million won.  Drove for 3 years.  My second car, I bought a Daewoo LPG Rezzo in 2012 for a few million won.  The car was a few years old.  It ran well.  I still drive it but now it's a really old car.  I am trying to keep it going for at least another year or so. 

My second car was better than my first.  I did have some epic years where I did pour a lot of cash into it to keep it going.  I could have bought a junker that would have been like my first car, but why not fix some things on my current car instead?  It still works well, otherwise.  So, why not?

I am thinking an LPG Kia Carens for a few million to several million wonish and maybe 2015ish or later vehicle for my next car.  (Price may or may not be more depending on how long I can wait before needing to buy it.)  I was going to upgrade to a KIA Sportage or a Hyundai Santa Fe.  But an lpg 1900 cc car works fine and still saves money while having power. 

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2021, 11:56:06 am »
Now I have a 2016 Kia Picanto which we bought new. It's a great car and perfect for the city. The best part of all was the day after we picked it up from the dealer my wife got a call from them telling her we had won first place in the lottery.

We asked what lottery and were told that every new car bought that year, with the previous day being the end of the year, had the person's name entered in a draw. First place was:

150 grams of gold
The 1st two payments made or a new motorbike like a Honda Scoopy/Yamaha Fino
1st year's insurance paid

So, a brand new car for a great great price. It's coming up on 5 years old and has about 32,000 km on it. 

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2021, 12:49:13 pm »
Korando Jeep. Black.Tinted.
Bought in '09 with 16 thou km only on it. Looked mint.
I've put dents and scratches on it in over 100 thou km of crosscountry travel (not commute; i never have to drive to work; the vehicle is for shopping and pleasure use only).
I broke the turbo boost on it. Cost 600 thou to repair. Did it again a second time. The third time in my first two years i let it lay. Hilly South Gyeongsang province tempted me to open it up when climbing (never speed downhill). Oh well. It was fun while it lasted. All's for the best.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 12:53:19 pm by VanIslander »

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2021, 12:52:13 pm »
just got a Kia Ray ....but I am absolutely terrified of driving and have terrible reverse-ing skills........so I havent driven much yet

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2021, 11:07:39 pm »
I have a 19-year-old student who just got her driver's license and didn't even have to parallel park during her driving test. No wonder there are so many fender benders here. Back home when I got my license I had to bloody parallel park on a steep hill in the middle of winter with snow and ice! Slippage fortunately was minimal.

• KoreaBoo
  • Expert Waygook

• May 25, 2014, 04:00:42 pm
    • Vancouver Island
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2021, 12:42:11 am »
2018 Prius C, 2016 Picanto 5-speed, and 2020 RAV4 Hybrid LE

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2021, 07:43:28 am »
Having done my driver's license here in Korea very recently (the one from my home country expired), I can tell you that it's *significantly* more difficult than the one in Canada or the USA, which I passed with flying colours (almost literally  :azn:).
The written exam is about the same (pretty standard multiple question format about car maintenance, road laws, situational responses etc), and the road test is pretty standard as well if you can get somebody who attempts a bit of English, but the technical skill test is killer. Absolutely no allowance for error, and the computer grading system is a huge pain in the ass. Bombed it the first time because I wasn't aware just how finicky it was. I only passed the second time because I watched a million youtube videos of the driving course and basically memorized the exact order of what I had to do and when. I really hate tests that test test taking skills.

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2021, 12:35:52 pm »
My daily drive is a 2012 BMW Z4. Driving around top down in spring and summer is lovely, this icy snowy winter not so much. My previous car was a 2015 KIA K5.

Our other car is a 2020 Tesla Model X.

After getting my F2-99 my income doubled but this lifestyle would not be possible without my wife and her family who far far out earn my meager 5-600 만원 a month.

T.C.

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2021, 07:23:40 am »
It's Korea, to be legit you gotta go BWM or Mercedes (or Genesis), black, max tinted windows.  8)

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2021, 07:59:54 am »
Wish I had a Jeep Wrangler.

(Renegade ain't better than Mercedes Benz motored 2nd generation Korando - before the SUVs).

I think overpriced but awesome the Ford Mustang electric model (Is it even for sale locally?).

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2021, 07:56:19 pm »
Currently driving a 2006 Nissan March and enjoying the rattly superiority of glorious Japanese engineering. It's a bit of a shitbucket but it has low mileage and I barely paid anything for it and I intend to drive it into the ground.

In Korea I had a 2008 Kia Morning. Drove it all over the country and barely ever had anything to repair on it. Kia's service centers were amazing when I did need something done. I really enjoyed that car. Koreans kept crashing into it though.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2021, 02:44:32 am »
In Korea I had a 2008 Kia Morning....Koreans kept crashing into it though.
Three times in 11 years Koreans have crashed into my Korando at stop lights and intersections. Each time the jeep's high bumper crushed their car's body. Two of the three times I was offered money. Each time no insurance claim was wanted. Each time I eagerly said "No problem. Forget about it." I willing to live with scrapes on the bumper. (I feared at first the guy lying in front of a judge, trying to save face, maybe he being believed, when in fact EACH TIME my vehicle was bloody stationary when hit.)

You know how people nickname their car "Bessy" or the like. I call my vehicle "The Tank" :) ... I only fear those breakneck speedy buses.

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2021, 09:49:44 am »
Why not buy a dash cam if people are crashing into you so much? They are less than 100k won from alibaba 2 channel Sony Sensors 4K front 2k rear.

Never deal with someone seeking blood money again. Just give the dash cam recording to the police.

T.C.

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2021, 05:03:16 pm »
Why not buy a dash cam if people are crashing into you so much? Never deal with someone seeking blood money again. Just give the dash cam recording to the police.

Yeah, dash cam and high pass are mandatory. Anything happens just call the Samsung insurance guys; they come fast and handle everything.

But nobody has ever touched my Beemer. I donít understand why someone would keep getting hit out of nowhere, while stationary?

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2021, 05:54:15 pm »
But nobody has ever touched my Beemer. I donít understand why someone would keep getting hit out of nowhere, while stationary?
Out of touch.

Koreans drive the opposite of Americans in some ways. They are slow off the line (green light) but late to arrive (red light).

Koreans must reduce speed at the last moment, slamming on the brakes. I dunno why but it clearly is an imperative.

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2021, 06:47:29 pm »
Once I was stuck in traffic on one of the mini-highways in Daegu, not moving at all, and this young Korean dumbass coming from an on-ramp drove straight into the right side of my car. Not sure how he managed that. Another time I was making a left turn at the same time that a scooter delivery guy had the bright idea of passing me on the left on a two-lane road. He smashed into my car as I turned left, and he fell onto the ground and skidded forward like 30 feet into a van at probably 80kph. If he hadn't been wearing a helmet he probably would have died.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2021, 10:15:12 am »
It's funny how this came up, I watched a couple of scooter drivers wreck themselves into stationary cars literally on the same day last week. WHILE ON THE SAME WALK LMAO

« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 10:24:07 am by Chinguetti »