Read 1171 times

• SPQR
  • Expert Waygook

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Canada
https://seoul.craigslist.org/edu/d/english-village-incheon-metropolitan/7261899233.html

(English village)
* Start date : late Feb
* Working hours : 11am-8pm(M~Th), 10:30am-6:10pm(F) + Sat. (4 times a year, 1pm-4pm)
* Salary : 2.1~
* Benefits : Housing, Pension, Insurance, Severance Pay, Paid vacation, Round Airfare
=> Native + Bachelor ONLY (US / CAN / UK / AUS / NZL / IRL / SA)
=> Please email me your resume and picture to apply.

This is about 176 teaching hours/month. 2,100,000KRW/176hr. = 11,931KRW/hr.

Holy shit!

Is this normal these days?

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
it says "housing". i wonder if you have to live on campus

i went to gapyeong english village once for some (shitty) training. i talked to the guys who worked/lived there on campus. they said it SUCKED. couldn't drink/smoke and they had a curfew of....10pm. the gate would be locked and they couldn't get in after 10pm. these people were in their late 20s, too. imagine that!

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang

i went to gapyeong english village once for some (shitty) training. i talked to the guys who worked/lived there on campus. they said it SUCKED. couldn't drink/smoke and they had a curfew of....10pm. the gate would be locked and they couldn't get in after 10pm. these people were in their late 20s, too. imagine that!

I mean, it's all wrong, but even on weekends?
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
I mean, it's all wrong, but even on weekends?
can't remember. i think they all said they don't stay there on weekends anyway because it sucked and taxis cost a fortune back there anyway

• SPQR
  • Expert Waygook

• Canada

Is this possible? Who would put up with that? I mean really.
If that is the case their staff turnover must be enormous.

Wait, it says: "=> Native + Bachelor ONLY" Maybe this is true. WTF.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 04:39:18 pm by SPQR »

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
the other thing i heard about these jobs is that because you get different students that come to the village every week, you are literally teaching the same material over and over for a whole year. like, the same thing every single week (or multiple times every week, depending how often students change)

• SPQR
  • Expert Waygook

• Canada
Actually there are a lot of reviews about this place.  Mostly negative.

I feel sorry for the unfortunate, isolated and bewildered sods they
have working here.

The golden days are over, the semi decent days are over, we have entered  into the sh!tty days of esl teaching in Korea.

This has been the plan in korea all along. To have nets dwindled down to nearly nothing.

Last one out turn off the lights. 

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
11,931KRW/hr.

Holy shit!

Is this normal these days?

I saw a construction job thatís 17,000 - 19,000 per hour. Thatíd be hard work, but itíd be a good way to stay in shape. Doesnít take any education or intellect to do it. Sad to see some teaching jobs paying less.

• stoat
  • The Legend

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
https://seoul.craigslist.org/edu/d/english-village-incheon-metropolitan/7261899233.html

(English village)
* Start date : late Feb
* Working hours : 11am-8pm(M~Th), 10:30am-6:10pm(F) + Sat. (4 times a year, 1pm-4pm)
* Salary : 2.1~
* Benefits : Housing, Pension, Insurance, Severance Pay, Paid vacation, Round Airfare
=> Native + Bachelor ONLY (US / CAN / UK / AUS / NZL / IRL / SA)
=> Please email me your resume and picture to apply.

This is about 176 teaching hours/month. 2,100,000KRW/176hr. = 11,931KRW/hr.

Holy shit!

Is this normal these days

That's a king's ransom compared to this!

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
$4 - $7 an hour and that rate of pay is non negotiable?

Iím thinking about supply and demand as it relates to construction work. Not everyone is physically strong enough to do that work, so the supply is limited. And the demand for new buildings is great. Hence the higher wage.

• stoat
  • The Legend

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
To teach English In the past you generally needed a 3/4 year degree, a TEFL qualification (a proper one in Europe) and a willingness to live in a foreign country away from family and friends (a crap one if you wanted ok money)  Nowadays all you need is a decent internet connection.
You can also do it alongside another job and during lockdown. It's become the modern equivalent of housewives stuffing envelopes.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 03:40:10 pm by stoat »

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan

Is this one of those private English Villages?  I'd never work for one of this one.  But I did know some folks who worked for some government run English Villages and it followed the EPIK contract.  Those were okay and you got your own housing where ever you wanted.  Only downsides were desk warming and punctuality was quite strict compared to regular schools and  you did the same lesson or lessons over and over and over.  Got quite repetitive sometimes.