Read 724 times

Tips for buying furniture locally?
« on: January 11, 2021, 06:14:16 pm »
I've thought about visiting a furniture store (both for new and second-hand items), but I've been kind of avoiding it because I hate haggling, and you need to do that here or else you'll get ripped off. Now I feel like I can't really avoid it anymore.

You guys who've done this already, do you have any tips? What I should look out for?

I've also been hearing a lot of good things about Karrot, but how does it work? Do you need to contact the seller and arrange a payment + time/date? Or is it a little more streamlined than that?

Re: Tips for buying furniture locally?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 06:17:01 pm »
Buy used. Carrot marketplace is great from my experience but you have to contact with the people directly.

• 303lmc
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 05:23:12 pm
    • Gwangju
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 07:51:30 am »
buy? do you live near big apartment complexes? where I live, there is ALWAYS  furniture being "thrown out" and pretty decent stuff too. in fact, a truck comes by and grabs the good stuff.

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 08:51:27 am »
Here's my advice when it comes to furniture. This is applicable only if you are going to permanently set down roots or at least plan on a long stay.

Buy quality. I rarely saw decent furniture in Korea. It's all chipboard (pressboard) with a veneer on it. When it's new it looks great, but it falls apart quickly.

If you're just looking for furniture, drive around at night and look at what people throw out. You may be amazed at what you find. I did and I was.

When I left Korea I had a 1 bedroom apartment fully furnished and I owned everything. I just started putting stuff outside and had my landlord write a note saying "free furniture". I had Koreans coming into my place and taking stuff. It was so easy and actually made me feel good. I gave my washing machine and stove plus other stuff to the local church and they handed it out to poor people.

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 09:13:56 am »
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll give Karrot a try, see what I can find on there.

As for looking for discarded furniture, anything that gets discarded in my neighborhood is pretty raggedy (that, or the "good stuff" gets picked up before I can ever see it); plus, I don't want a bunch of furniture that don't look like they belong together, lol. I'm pretty satisfied with my current setup, but I need to replace a couple of things to finally bring the whole place together.

If I must live in a closet, it'll be one of those fancy walk-ins, not my grandma's attic.

• SPQR
  • Expert Waygook

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Canada
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 10:36:23 am »
IKEA

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2021, 10:37:35 am »
Ikea doesn't deliver to my town, haha. And their furniture is not really worth the cost of delivery or renting a vehicle to drive it here myself.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2021, 11:41:34 am »
Have you looked at casamia? They have nice stuff and you don't have to bloody haggle

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2021, 02:11:29 pm »
What quality are you looking for? 

I use to find furniture areas (가구) in my town and I would buy some closets dressers etc.  But I bought sturdy good quality ones made with real wood or wood and plywood anyways.  With costs in Korea having shot up a lot the last 3 or 4 years, I assume you will pay much more than before.  I did several years ago when Korea was sort of a cheaper living cost country buy a nice tall wide dresser made from real wood for 350,000 won.  (I can only guess what the cost would be now.)  Still going strong for me.

I found a bed store furniture street area and outlets in two different parts of town a few years back.  I bought a nice quality super single bed for a million won.  Soft and comfy mattress with good box spring guaranteed for 10 years.  Cost will prob be much more now.  It was "Vivon" brand, I think.  Individual coils and soft topping.  (I go to expensive bedding sheet stores _allerman for soft mattress covers.  I buy large cotton sheets form bed bath beyond or comparable store.  700 thread count.)  I am picky with bedding and sleeping.  Need a good sleep. 

If it is cheap things you are after G Market is your friend then.  I did buy a cheap sofa on there and my first bed that was 200,000 won 11 years ago.  It was guaranteed for 3 years and literally went to crap after 3 years.  I still slept on it warped springs and collapsed center and all.  But, you get what you pay for.  I bought a flimsy closet there too.  I do still buy some things from there.  I bought an extra table stand for storage for 150 K when I moved into my apartment.  Large surface area that I keep many of my cooking things on such as a slow cooker and air fryer on. 

Best of luck. 

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2021, 02:15:36 pm »
I've thought about visiting a furniture store (both for new and second-hand items), but I've been kind of avoiding it because I hate haggling, and you need to do that here or else you'll get ripped off. Now I feel like I can't really avoid it anymore.

You guys who've done this already, do you have any tips? What I should look out for?

I've also been hearing a lot of good things about Karrot, but how does it work? Do you need to contact the seller and arrange a payment + time/date? Or is it a little more streamlined than that?

I don't think there is much haggling outside of local markets.  Delivery is often included once you buy it.  Furniture shop will call some guy to deliver it.  You can go home ahead of him when he drops it off or you can ride in his truck with him and get a lift back to the shop if you drove and parked there.  That is what I did once.  Another time I gave my address and said when I would be home (as they had to order another new one -different from demo one).  Delivery included is my point.  Just give your address in Korean and say what time and date you can receive.  Guy many call you if you can speak any Korean on the phone at all.