Read 12010 times

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
Re: Trump permanently banned from twitter
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2021, 08:29:08 pm »
Twitter has removed more than 170,000 accounts it says were tied to an operation to spread pro-China messages.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-53018455

Twitter also revealed it has shut down more than a thousand Russia-based misinformation accounts.

• Adel
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 30, 2015, 12:50:26 am
    • The Abyss
    more
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2021, 08:48:55 pm »
* spoiler alert for onlookers.

We all know Twitter is already blocked in China and to use it requires paying for a VPN but I vote we change the name of this thread to Geoffrey Robertson's Hypotheticals and be done with it because it's completely relevant for a Twitter addict like Trump to know if he's more evil than Xi.

:laugh:

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2021, 10:36:17 pm »
That two tech billionaires in California are the ones to finally shut trump down tells you a lot about the US.

• T_Rex
  • Veteran

• April 23, 2019, 08:10:20 am
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2021, 11:47:30 pm »
"Trump wins title of Americans’ most admired man in annual survey"
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/12/29/trump-gallup-most-admired-452126

And now he's a free-speech martyr too.

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2021, 01:57:40 am »

Only in the eyes of the deluded.

• Adel
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 30, 2015, 12:50:26 am
    • The Abyss
    more
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2021, 06:16:45 am »

With the blood of this police officer on his hands

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu County, Taiwan (not part of China)
    more
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2021, 08:16:02 am »
Adel, we get it, you hate Trump. I am not suggesting they shouldn't have banned him, I am just  saying what is sauce  for the goose is sauce for the ganda.

Aristocat is right, it's all about money and that is why the EU is negotiating with a government that  is worse than Hitler.

By the way, having Chinese students is  not the same as living in China.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• fka
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2021, 08:38:24 am »
In case you missed it, Twitter did remove that post from the Chinese Embassy. Twitter and other platforms don't make these decisions based on a person's character, but whether a person violates terms of service and how this is likely to reflect on the companies.

Regarding Trump, Twitter obviously made the calculation that the censorship blowback would be less severe than the blowback from allowing him to continue propagating lies about election fraud and possibly inciting another riot. A simple business decision. That's it. When you agree to their Ts & Cs you relinquish the expectation that you are operating with an absolute right to free speech. I don't know why this is so hard for people to understand.

A message for conservatives: The way this stuff works is exactly how it's supposed to in the economic system that you lionize. A private company makes its own decisions with a minimum of government interference. If you don't like one product (i.e., Twitter), you are free to choose another.

I know that the stock response to this is "But they're monopolies!" Well, that's an antitrust issue, not a free speech one. It's also a legal definition which hasn't been determined in court. Until then, they're not monopolies just because you say so. There's a case to be made against companies like Google, Facebook and Amazon for engaging in anti-competitive practices, such as buying up and then dissolving competitors. In Twitter's case, it's simply a very popular app.

Trump continued using Twitter to lie about his election "victory" even after the riot at the Capitol. Five people are dead because of his fool's errand election fraud nonsense. If you support someone's right to refuse to bake a wedding cake for a gay couple, you should also support Twitter's right to quit hosting Trump's dangerous bullshit. No shirt, no shoes, no service.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 10:44:19 am by fka »

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2021, 08:50:40 am »
In case you missed it, Twitter did remove that post from the Chinese Embassy. Twitter and other platforms don't make these decisions based on a person's character, but whether a person violates terms of service and how this is likely to reflect on the companies.

Regarding Trump, Twitter obviously made the calculation that the censorship blowback would be less severe than the blowback from allowing him to continue propagating lies about election fraud and possibly inciting another riot. A simple business decision. That's it. When you agree to their Ts & Cs you relinquish the expectation that you are operating with an absolute right to free speech. I don't know why this is so hard for people to understand.

A message for conservatives: The way this stuff works is exactly how it's supposed to in the economic system that you lionize. A private company makes its own decisions with a minimum of government interference. If you don't like one product (i.e., Twitter), you are free to choose another.

I know that the stock response to this is "But they're monopolies!" Well, that's an antitrust issue, not a free speech one. It's also a legal definition which hasn't been determined in court. Until then, they're not monopolies just because you say so. There's a case to be made against companies like Google, Facebook and Amazon for engaging in anti-competitive practices, such as buying up and then dissolving competitors. In Twitter's case, it's simply a very popular app.

Trump continued using Twitter to lie about his election "victory" even after the riot at the Capitol. If you support someone's right to refuse to bake a wedding cake for a gay couple, you should also support Twitter's right to quit hosting Trump's dangerous bullshit. No shirt, no shoes, no service.

I agree with everything you've put here except that one last bit.

It's not like refusing to bake a gay wedding cake--that's discrimination.

What it's like is a bartender kicking out a drunk guy who is trying pick fights with other patrons.

• fka
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2021, 11:35:27 am »

He has a point.

"Twitter may ban me for this..."

A commonplace delusion of grandeur held by professional victims. File next to "YouTube tried to ban this video!"

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2021, 12:09:20 pm »

What is it that they are so desperate to hide and to prevent being put out?  What is it behind this fake smoke screen that the elites are so afraid of that they must shut down and silence any speech that is not theirs? 

Trump saying he won't go to a Biden inauguration?  Inciting a riot that comment is?  Really?  If I say I am not going to Seoul this weekend, am I inciting a riot too?  No, it means I am letting folks know what I am doing in advance as a courtesy.  Either the woke pussies at Twitter are wearing tin foil hats and imagining words that were never said or this is a deliberate excuse to shut people up to cover up what is about to come out. 

Trump will still be President and many corrupt people will be going to jail for this. 

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2021, 12:17:30 pm »
Trump will still be President

i wonder what it's like to live so deeply in delusion
more gg more skill

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2021, 12:28:07 pm »
i wonder what it's like to live so deeply in delusion

I'll remind you at the end of the month and invite you back to reality. 

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2021, 12:43:16 pm »
get a load of this guy! :laugh: but yeah sure yeah remind me in 9 days
more gg more skill

« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2021, 01:17:07 pm »

What is it that they are so desperate to hide and to prevent being put out?  What is it behind this fake smoke screen that the elites are so afraid of that they must shut down and silence any speech that is not theirs?   

Turns out Americans are fed up with conspiracy theorists like you who just tried to assassinate members of Congress and the vp.

« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2021, 01:22:57 pm »
I'll remind you at the end of the month and invite you back to reality. 
Dude, you are the type of deluded that's going to make me happily vote Democrat in 2024 because you and the right will be as hysterical as the left was during Trump's time.
Join the DeMart Fan Club!
Shout out to WhenInRome... the first member. Thank you my son!

« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2021, 01:25:00 pm »
The first amendment blocks the federal government from controlling or censoring the speech of private individuals.

The first amendment does not prevent a private company like Twitter from enforcing its own terms of service and controlling or censoring the speech of users.

Anyone crying about "freedom of speech" is completely wrong when it comes to Twitter or other companies banning users like Trump for violating their terms of service.

You can argue about the terms of service but that is a contractual matter, and is absoluetely not a first amendment free speech issue. For instance we can't talk about religion here because the site admins have decreed it so. The US government does not run waygook.org and has no control over its user content.

An actual freedom of speech issue would be if a US state or the US Congress passed a law banning certain speech on Twitter. Or if a politician asked Twitter to ban certain users. (pretty sure Trump has done this but I could be wrong, he certainly tells his chud army to attack journalists all the time)

Just wanted to clear that up because we have a lot of uneducated people and non-Americans who don't understand what "free speech" means in the USA.
I think the most remarkable thing about this thread is MayorHaggar actually writing a well-thought out and lucid post, rather than resorting to simple-minded insults and drive-by comments.

« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2021, 01:29:05 pm »
ok boomer, so basically you have no argument
1) If by Boomer, you mean grew up during the 90s (as music, video game, TV, and movie references throughout my years of posting all make painfully clear), then sure.
2)  "You get butthurt about black Americans wanting to be treated like human beings despite being a Brit living in Korea. Also you got butthurt about Trump's "freedom of speech" after he got banned by Twitter (a private company) for inciting domestic terrorism" is not an argument.
3) The point still stands- Given your history of offensive statements and views regarding Koreans, which by the way if you changed the word 'Korean' and replaced it with 'black' or 'Mexican' and had Trump tweet it, would be condemned as racism, you are the LAST person to lecture people on this site about bigotry, given you being an ignorant bigot yourself.

As I keep on saying- If you think this isn't the case, go over to some Democratic Party facility and start making your views on Koreans known. I'm sure your progressive brethren would totally embrace you and not kick you out. /s

« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2021, 01:36:55 pm »
DM, this is one of the occasions where you and I really agree, Adel is living in a bubble (la-la land) where she thinks the whole of America is irreversibly damaged by last Wednesday and nothing else in the world matters.

This too shall pass. Am I condoning what happened? Of course not, Adel, but it's not the end of the world and Trump is certainly NOT in the league of the people under discussion.
Thank you and agreed. This whole thing should have been subjected to intense and vicious mockery. Instead it's being treated as some sort of serious attempt to overthrow the government. Now Trump is being compared to the Ayatollah and Xi  :rolleyes: Like, seriously just get some perspective. Have a laugh at Trump's loser crew. And condemn and punish the thugs that murdered that cop. But ffs, stop treating this like a mortal threat to the Republic. 200 years from now this will be one of those minor stories you read about like "That one time some gang of colonists, ticked off about the tax on horsehoes, stormed the hall, shot dead one redcoat, raised a flag, then slunk of into a drunken stupor."

We're one Jussie Smollet away from this being totally forgotten.

Perhaps you are privy to greater logistical intel than twitter and better informed to make such judgments regarding the likelihood of further violence . I don't pretend to be better informed than twitter so I'll respect their judgment on this one.
Twitter is simply covering their butts on any liability issues and blowing with the wind.  However, I think underneath Jack's "Don't let this company get Buzzfeed'd" view is a core of left-leaning people who probably, think Trump is worse than Hitler and feel justified in doing whatever.

Then how abouts clamming up and going away?
How about addressing whether you truly think Trump is on the level of Xi and various other world leaders (I actually kind of think the Ayatollah gets a bad rap, given the situation in Iran, not that he's a good guy, but it's more complicated than that)

But perhaps that's because 1) the US has a much better set of firewalls against totalitarianism, and 2) Trump is just so crap at everything he turns his hand to, except whipping up uneducated people (the ones he loves)  with ad baculum arguments.
Pretty much. Ya'll-Qaeda/Redtifa made a pretty poor showing overall.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 01:40:46 pm by Mr.DeMartino »

« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2021, 02:15:30 pm »
Assuming that your question pertains solely to a Western-style democracy, then we must insist on consistency. If "President Sunshine" seemed completely unhinged from reality and if "President Sunshine" offered baseless tweets contesting the legitimacy of a fair election, then yes---Twitter should flag the tweets of "President Sunshine" as divorced from the facts.
What if President Sunshine seemed completely wedded to reality by their supporters? What if

Also, what exactly makes our elections impeccable, but not those in the third world? Is it technology? Seems not because the same kind of tech is used around the world, including in corrupt countries. Is it the safegauards? What are those? Observers? Those exist in other countries with illegitimate elections. Is it the fact that our people are somehow incorruptible?

But Hillary Clinton (a rough analogue for "President Sunshine" here) never called for insurrection against the Capitol building. And neither did Al Gore.
No, she simply weaponized the intel community for political purposes and the media to create a fake Russia scandal that was dumped on the public to undermine the legitimacy of Trump from the get go.

"asymmetric polarization," a concept carefully vetted in peer-reviewed academic research. To make a (very) long story short, Republicans have become more ideologically extreme than Democrats in the United States because of the phenomenon of "asymmetric polarization." And so Republicans (justifiably or unjustifiably) will feel ignored by journalists and other vessels for the dissemination of information.

While the Republican base has certainly gotten more polarized in voting and views, policy-wise, it is much more mainstream.  If you look at Trump's actual policies, it pretty much reads like a Democratic Party platform circa 1996-2004.

What issue is Trump perceived as most extreme on? Immigration. The thing is, all the facilities he is accused of using were funded and built under Clinton-Bush-Obama. They didn't just magically appear at the border overnight. They took time to build and the funding to be approved. The general legal infrastructure in place wasn't created by Trump. It was already existing, just not as rigorously enforced.

Now, an impartial news media would note such things, and an informed public would be aware of that and take such things into account. They didn't. Why is that? Who is extreme and deceptive in this case?